For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
malk wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:SNIP
Let me preface this by saying that I would prefer to have Mitch start
-Glennon is taking the brunt for having a lot go wrong in his first start in forever. Dropped passes, bad snaps hitting him in the ankles, and offensive penalties. He didn't play perfect, but he got us in position to win the game.

He got paid to smokescreen the Trubisky selection in the draft. That's the only reason.

Also not seeing what your saying with the teams win thing..I simply stated that for the maligning Glennon is getting, he made plays to win the game and the team let him down.
Look, Glennon had two drives that were worth shit, went far too long without a completion and led us to 7 points. He didn't make enough plays to win us the game. If you do next to bugger all for most of the match then someone dropping your pass isn't taking away your "plays to win the game" in any meaningful sense.
No one is going to confuse Glennon for Manning, Brady or Brees. He played in the confines of the game plan and made enough plays to win the game. That is a simple and true statement. Could he have done more? Sure. But he did enough to win. So I am not blaming him for the loss. That's just me. If you want to, then by all means. But you're wrong, IMO, to do so.
[musing] When does a straw man become a wicker man? [/musing]

Determining the truth conditions of non actualised future statements is actually incredibly difficult, certainly not simple. But you strike me as equivalent to a metaphysical solipsist who still loves an argument so I'll back out here.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
malk
Head Coach

A potential concussion and pectoral injury for Freeman. Buggeroo.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

malk wrote:A potential concussion and pectoral injury for Freeman. Buggeroo.
Good thing we have Kwiatkowski who actually looked more comfortable and improved this past preseason. I don't think we lose much if Freeman has to miss time.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Also heard that on the 88 yard TD to Hooper, that Freeman was actually slightly concussed during the defensive huddle when he was making the call which forced the confusion amongst the players because he didn't get the call out to the team properly. No timeout was made because the Coaches didn't know he was concussed and didn't show any signs prior to that snap. It was an unfortunate situation because that was a huge momentum swing in the game, had we gotten off the field on that snap, who knows? Bottom line is that the Bears team as a whole isn't good enough to make up for these type of errors. They literally have to play a clean game from each phase to win.
Never Die Easy
docc
Head Coach

Welp//
Lions have Stafford..4TDs
Puke have Erin
Vikings//Bradford tearing it up

and we have

Glennon..
2017//
Adipost
MVP

All-22 is out. Nobody was open on that last play except for Cohen. But by the time Glennon progressed to the left side of the field, the RDE was in his face. Leno got beaten badly on the inside move and had to blatantly hold to keep from getting Glennon decapitated. Because of this, Glennon never saw Cohen and had to step back in the pocket right into Massie's guy.

From left to right, Miller/Sims/Wright/Bellamy covered...

Leno holding on after being beaten immediately off the line...

FaithInCutler
MVP

Adipost wrote:All-22 is out. Nobody was open on that last play except for Cohen. But by the time Glennon progressed to the left side of the field, the RDE was in his face. Leno got beaten badly on the inside move and had to blatantly hold to keep from getting Glennon decapitated. Because of this, Glennon never saw Cohen and had to step back in the pocket right into Massie's guy.

From left to right, Miller/Sims/Wright/Bellamy covered...
Thanks for posting the All 22 pictures.. This is the first year I've not paid for it since it came out. I'm sitting here shaking like an addict without it!
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

malk wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
malk wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:SNIP
Let me preface this by saying that I would prefer to have Mitch start
-Glennon is taking the brunt for having a lot go wrong in his first start in forever. Dropped passes, bad snaps hitting him in the ankles, and offensive penalties. He didn't play perfect, but he got us in position to win the game.

He got paid to smokescreen the Trubisky selection in the draft. That's the only reason.

Also not seeing what your saying with the teams win thing..I simply stated that for the maligning Glennon is getting, he made plays to win the game and the team let him down.
Look, Glennon had two drives that were worth shit, went far too long without a completion and led us to 7 points. He didn't make enough plays to win us the game. If you do next to bugger all for most of the match then someone dropping your pass isn't taking away your "plays to win the game" in any meaningful sense.
No one is going to confuse Glennon for Manning, Brady or Brees. He played in the confines of the game plan and made enough plays to win the game. That is a simple and true statement. Could he have done more? Sure. But he did enough to win. So I am not blaming him for the loss. That's just me. If you want to, then by all means. But you're wrong, IMO, to do so.
[musing] When does a straw man become a wicker man? [/musing]

Determining the truth conditions of non actualised future statements is actually incredibly difficult, certainly not simple. But you strike me as equivalent to a metaphysical solipsist who still loves an argument so I'll back out here.
We simply disagree with what is in front of us. Glennon did enough to win by putting the ball in a spot for his WR to catch it in the endzone 2 times. Unless you also want to blame Glennon for Atlanta scoring 21 points...Glennon did enough to win, his WR's and O line failed him on 3 out of the last 4 plays.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
karhu
Head Coach

PC Load Letter wrote:The situation is very similar to the 2012 Seahawks. They went out and paid Matt Flynn starting QB money and then drafted Russell Wilson. Throughout camp and preseason it was obvious the rookie was more NFL ready than they had thought...and their free agent QB wasn't as good as they thought. And the rest is history. If John Fox was their coach they would have started Matt Flynn...just because.
Wilson had played a shitload more football over the preceding four years than Flynn. And Flynn genuinely stepped on his own dick. Glennon executed a game plan that any honest Bears fan knew would be ultra-conservative, with the worst receiving corps in the league, and against a very good pass D he came within two dropped TDs of beating the NFC champs. Not a single QB on the list I posted earlier (I know QB rating isn't the end-all, but you got something better?) did as much against such odds.

So...no.

Glennon's not likely to transcend the game plan any more than Loggains is going to stray wildly from what Fox wants him to do. Trubisky might be the guy to transcend the game plan. But not, in the name of all those weird Cade McNown appearances the last time a rookie QB caused this much buzz, not now. We spent the preseason weaning him off habits he'd developed in a 13-start/447-attempt college career. He did a good job of that. But we've got a shaky line and the worst receivers in the league, and the competition ain't future car salesmen. He's got a shitload to learn, and he's in the right place to do it right now.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
G08
Hall of Famer

I read on Twitter that Glennon went 26+ minutes between pass completions.

That's considered enough to win a game? Woof. Lucky he has a (IMO) top 10 defense, God forbid we gave up 28+ points.

Just missed a TD to Bellamy and he was late to Howard, but that was the ballgame right there. Get through those reads quicker.

Not a fan but I don't hate him... yet.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I read on Twitter that Glennon went 26+ minutes between pass completions.

That's considered enough to win a game? Woof. Lucky he has a (IMO) top 10 defense, God forbid we gave up 28+ points.

Just missed a TD to Bellamy and he was late to Howard, but that was the ballgame right there. Get through those reads quicker.

No...putting the ball in his WR's hands is enough to win the game

26 minutes is a straw man stat...what else happened for him to not have a completion?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Welp//
Lions have Stafford..4TDs
Puke have Erin
Vikings//Bradford tearing it up

and we have

Glennon..
2017//
Bradford looked REALLY good last night.
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
G08 wrote:I read on Twitter that Glennon went 26+ minutes between pass completions.

26 minutes is a straw man stat...what else happened for him to not have a completion?
How about 41 yards passing through 3 quarters?

This ties into what I used to say about Jay Cutler giving you a puncher's chance in games. Hopefully this will be considered Glennon's worst game; 5.3 yards per attempt is Bush League.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
BR0D1E86
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:

If he had more than 50 yards through 3 quarters would it have come down to that last second throw?

He wasn't bad enough to be THE reason the Bears lost, but he was a D+ quarterback on Sunday.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
G08 wrote:Just missed a TD to Bellamy and he was late to Howard
What's being widely overlooked for some reason was how late he was getting the ball out all game. Granted, Howard should have caught that TD... but he was WIDE open for several seconds before Glennon even saw him.

Maybe he'll get faster, as the season progresses, but from what I've seen in the preseason and the first game...he just does NOT see the field well at all.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:What's being widely overlooked for some reason was how late he was getting the ball out all game. Granted, Howard should have caught that TD... but he was WIDE open for several seconds before Glennon even saw him.

Maybe he'll get faster, as the season progresses, but from what I've seen in the preseason and the first game...he just does NOT see the field well at all.

which is odd considering he has such a high vantage point to view the field from
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
WagonForce
MVP

Did Shaheen see any snaps in this game? He was active right? I don't remember seeing him on the field.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I didn't get to see the game but why didn't we put in Shaheen outside throw a jump ball once on final drive?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:I didn't get to see the game but why didn't we put in Shaheen outside throw a jump ball once on final drive?

John Fox : "because fuck you"

(stolen from UOK from a previous thread, but seems to be a default answer to things for 2017)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

WagonForce wrote:Did Shaheen see any snaps in this game? He was active right? I don't remember seeing him on the field.
10 thoughts on the Bears' Week 1 loss to the Falcons
Brad Biggs wrote:10c. Rookie tight end Adam Shaheen had 10 snaps. Half of those came in personnel groupings with the other two tight ends that played on offense, Dion Sims and Zach Miller.
Also worth noting, DragonForce is currently playing on my speakers, so I felt obligated to reply :D
WagonForce
MVP

BearButtseks wrote:
WagonForce wrote:Did Shaheen see any snaps in this game? He was active right? I don't remember seeing him on the field.
10 thoughts on the Bears' Week 1 loss to the Falcons
Brad Biggs wrote:10c. Rookie tight end Adam Shaheen had 10 snaps. Half of those came in personnel groupings with the other two tight ends that played on offense, Dion Sims and Zach Miller.
Also worth noting, DragonForce is currently playing on my speakers, so I felt obligated to reply :D
Cheers! This is exactly the info I was looking for :toast:

Hopefully Shaheen can help step up and provide a receiving threat, especially with the WR corps in the state it's in.
Middleguard
MVP

Final: Bears 17, Falcons 23
UOK 17-26 18
Richie 19-27 24
Middleguard 13-21 24
BearButtseks 17-27 32
FaithInCutler 17-28 50
DaSuperfan 13-17 56
VA_Mountain_Bear 24-27 74
Otis Day 13-27 96
MitchTrubisky10 20-31 98