Is Glennon just starting because it was promised to him?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've argued that Trubisky should not play until he's ready. And conversely, he should start as soon as he's ready enough to functionally operate the offense. But Bears coaches have put Trubisky in the position of possibly playing pretty quickly in the event of an injury to Mike Glennon.

So does that mean the coaches think he's ready to play without getting set back?

It was suggested to me by another Bears fan that maybe they feel he's ready, but they're not starting him right away because they promised the Glennon he would start and don't want to go back on their word.

If so, would you be OK with that?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't think he's at all ready and I don't believe the Bears think he's ready, either.

I think Trubisky got the 2 job on paper just to pacify meatball fans.

That I have a problem with.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Richie
MVP

Watched a fair amount of Bears coverage today, and the players actually elaborated on this topic. Which was a breath of fresh air.

Massie and Long both answered questions about it. They said that right now, Trubisky being in there wouldn't change a thing schematically and they love his ability. However, what it would do is chop out about half of the playbook, and he'd basically be running a "training wheels" version of it.

He has not fully shown an ability to fully take on full-field reads, and be completely comfortable running with the 1's. He has not mastered all corners of the playbook. There was also obviously some pre-snap and play clock issues vs Tennessee.

That's why he's not playing yet. This isn't about some promise to Glennon. This was the plan, they new Trubisky had a lot to take in and even though he's ahead of schedule. He's not quite there.

The NFL doesn't give a shit about promises. Especially when a coach is going into his 3rd season, with a combined 9 victories.
Richie
MVP

Moriarty wrote:I don't think he's at all ready and I don't believe the Bears think he's ready, either.

Yeah... I'm sure John Fox is really sitting around, worried about what Joe in Arlington Heights said this morning. During his phone call into The Score.

That's sarcasm. lol
GSH
MVP

I think everyone and the media is overthinking it and reading too much into it.

Glennon got the starting job because he was brought in as a starting QB with NFL experience and has the mental capacity to get his head around the playbook quickly and has been executing confidently in practise.

Trubs is the #2 because he's better than Mark Sanchez and not yet fully in command of the bears offensive playbook. He will get there.

Sanchez is #3 because he's not as good as either of the above but serviceable in a real bind and good for locker room / QB meeting room.

I dont think there's any more to it than that.
docc
Head Coach

Any team that plays ANYONE because of fans is a farce... GSH yes ..agree totally..
UOK
Site Admin

This has nothing to do with fans. Bears give two shits about fans.

This is 90% protecting Trubisky and not throwing him into the fire, 10% about future free agents not wanting to come here, get paid, only to get benched by a rookie before getting a shot.

Glennon's on a short leash, but he's got at least 3, 4 games to extend that leash.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:It was suggested to me by another Bears fan that maybe they feel he's ready, but they're not starting him right away because they promised the Glennon he would start and don't want to go back on their word.

If so, would you be OK with that?

if this was my quote you are referencing, it isn't exactly correct ... I said Glennon is starting because he was brought in and told 2017 was his year ... not promised, told that it was his job and reason for being in Bears blue

and yes I am ok with that

Moriarty wrote:I don't think he's at all ready and I don't believe the Bears think he's ready, either.

and I think that is complete bullshit

Trubisky is the #2 QB because he is a better player than Butt Fumble and won the right to be the backup QB by his efforts and results ... it had absolutely nothing to do with what the fans want
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:This has nothing to do with fans. Bears give two shits about fans.

This is 90% protecting Trubisky and not throwing him into the fire, 10% about future free agents not wanting to come here, get paid, only to get benched by a rookie before getting a shot.

Glennon's on a short leash, but he's got at least 3, 4 games to extend that leash.

agreed

but I think his leash will extend through the first 9 games at least
George Carlin
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:This has nothing to do with fans. Bears give two shits about fans.

agreed

but I think his leash will extend through the first 9 games at least
9 games? - ya stickin' yer neck out, Boris

;)
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:

Yeah... I'm sure John Fox is really sitting around, worried about what Joe in Arlington Heights said this morning. During his phone call into The Score.

That's sarcasm. lol
If you think franchises never make decisions based on fanbase pressure, I don't know what I can do for you.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
PC Load Letter
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:Is Glennon just starting because it was promised to him?
That's definitely part of it.

I also think the "let's have Mitch hand off 12 times in a row" nonsense in the final preseason game was absolutely intended to throw water on the the situation.

What we also need to factor into the decision is, if you name Mitch the starter week one you are essentially all in on him and you simply cannot pull him for his performance and go back to Glennon. I think that's where it has the potential to start dividing the team, you get the "if you aren't willing to let a rookie take his lumps, why start him in the first place" articles and you have a media circus shit show on your hands.

By going with Glennon first it's a much easier sell for Fox to make to the team. We'll likely be under .500 approaching the mid point of the season, Fox can come out and say the team needs a spark, more from the offense, etc. and turn to Mitch. After a few more games (win or lose) we could very well be out of the hunt at that point and then nobody can really question riding out the season with a QB you invested a high pick in.

Of course there's the remote chance Glennon gets off to a hot start and we're winning games nobody expects us to and Fox looks like a genius.

Either way, this is the low-risk move. None of us should have expected anything else out of John Fox.
Richie
MVP

Moriarty wrote:
Richie wrote:

That's sarcasm. lol
If you think franchises never make decisions based on fanbase pressure, I don't know what I can do for you.
It's cute that you really believe as a fan, that you possess a voice (or are a part of a voice) that matters to the coaching staff and their personnel decisions.

Adorable, actually. I suppose you take buy into that "4th phase" shit at the games too?

Caving to the fan-base would have been STARTING Trubisky. Which not only didn't they do that, they gave him hardly any run with 1's in camp, and had to have a sit-down to figure out whether or not he'd even be the BACKUP. lol. Coaches don't put their fate in the hands of Mark in Bridgeport and Joey in Oak Lawn. Which is what they would be doing by letting them dictate their starting QB decision in year 3 of their coaching stint. End of story.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

PC Load Letter wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Is Glennon just starting because it was promised to him?
That's definitely part of it.

I also think the "let's have Mitch hand off 12 times in a row" nonsense in the final preseason game was absolutely intended to throw water on the the situation.

What we also need to factor into the decision is, if you name Mitch the starter week one you are essentially all in on him and you simply cannot pull him for his performance and go back to Glennon. I think that's where it has the potential to start dividing the team, you get the "if you aren't willing to let a rookie take his lumps, why start him in the first place" articles and you have a media circus shit show on your hands.

By going with Glennon first it's a much easier sell for Fox to make to the team. We'll likely be under .500 approaching the mid point of the season, Fox can come out and say the team needs a spark, more from the offense, etc. and turn to Mitch. After a few more games (win or lose) we could very well be out of the hunt at that point and then nobody can really question riding out the season with a QB you invested a high pick in.

Of course there's the remote chance Glennon gets off to a hot start and we're winning games nobody expects us to and Fox looks like a genius.

Either way, this is the low-risk move. None of us should have expected anything else out of John Fox.
Amen to all of this :thumbsup:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This is a dumb thread. No. He's the #1 because we paid him $15M to hold the spot for Biscuits next year. I can promise you, without a doubt, the Bears were set on Trubisky long before they signed Glennon.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Richie wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
Richie wrote:

That's sarcasm. lol
It's cute that you really believe as a fan, that you possess a voice (or are a part of a voice) that matters to the coaching staff and their personnel decisions.

Adorable, actually. I suppose you take buy into that "4th phase" shit at the games too?

Caving to the fan-base would have been STARTING Trubisky. Which not only didn't they do that, they gave him hardly any run with 1's in camp, and had to have a sit-down to figure out whether or not he'd even be the BACKUP. lol. Coaches don't put their fate in the hands of Mark in Bridgeport and Joey in Oak Lawn. Which is what they would be doing by letting them dictate their starting QB decision in year 3 of their coaching stint. End of story.
Of course, public pressure exists. Politicians feel it (from the local representatives to heads of state), heads of organizations feel it, heads of companies feel it, and it would be naïve to think that coaches don't as well. It doesn't happen 100% of the time and I don't know if that's the case in this particular situation, but it's certainly possible. That's why coaches hate QB controversies because they don't like dealing with that pressure. It's not pressure from within the organization, he can handle that - he's in charge. It's pressure from outside the organization.

And it may not be Fox turning over the reins to Trubisky as many fans would want and are very vocal about, but it is a compromise letting the fans know that he realizes he has something special in Trubisky. It's his way of saying, "be patient, he's improving, but he's not there yet."
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:
Richie wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
Richie wrote:

That's sarcasm. lol

Of course, public pressure exists. Politicians feel it (from the local representatives to heads of state), heads of organizations feel it, heads of companies feel it, and it would be naïve to think that coaches don't as well. It doesn't happen 100% of the time and I don't know if that's the case in this particular situation, but it's certainly possible. That's why coaches hate QB controversies because they don't like dealing with that pressure. It's not pressure from within the organization, he can handle that - he's in charge. It's pressure from outside the organization.

And it may not be Fox turning over the reins to Trubisky as many fans would want and are very vocal about, but it is a compromise letting the fans know that he realizes he has something special in Trubisky. It's his way of saying, "be patient, he's improving, but he's not there yet."
I agree with this. Think Fox & company is pretty clear on it.

It's not really about if Trub is better than Glennon, he already is and think he would out play him right now on talent alone. But that not the point. Right now it's not about who can help the team "Right now" but what's best down the road. I respect that. If it was up to me, Trub would be starting now. That's why I am not an NFL coach. I have a good amount of respect for how Fox, Pace and the organization have been handling this situation.

Make no doubt about it though, coaches and GMs do feel pressure from fans. Their job depends on making them happy, because they indirectly pay their salary. If they fail at their jobs, they are shown the door. In this case, they are building for the future and fans will be (somewhat) patient knowing their is a plan. I respect the plan.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Empty seats make for some real public pressure.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Empty seats make for some real public pressure.

and that is one of the few areas of control fans have over their team in any sport

Bears fans have historically not utilized that ... regardless of how crappy the team may be, there is still a waiting list for season tickets and generally decent crowds ... and when there are empty seats, the Bears don't care because it is usually seats already sold and if the people who bought them don't show up, it bothers the team not a bit ... Ted Phillips publicly admitted as much

if it ever got to a point where they were offering discounts on season tickets so they could sell them, that may show fan impact ... doubt that will ever happen though
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Empty seats make for some real public pressure.

and that is one of the few areas of control fans have over their team in any sport

Bears fans have historically not utilized that ... regardless of how crappy the team may be, there is still a waiting list for season tickets and generally decent crowds ... and when there are empty seats, the Bears don't care because it is usually seats already sold and if the people who bought them don't show up, it bothers the team not a bit ... Ted Phillips publicly admitted as much

if it ever got to a point where they were offering discounts on season tickets so they could sell them, that may show fan impact ... doubt that will ever happen though
Bears attendance has dwindled quite a bit the last year or two, especially last season.

If Glennon sucks ass, attendance goes down until Trubisky starts.

Trubisky gets hurt, attendance plummets.

Bears losing + Trubisky hurt = good luck selling tickets.
docc
Head Coach

Staring down the midget 6' human WR..while he ponderously attempts to moves in the pocket//

The white giraffe has a difficult future..
wab
Mod

Did they adjust your meds recently docc?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Image

Staring down the midget 6' human WR..while he ponderously attempts to moves in the pocket//

The white giraffe has a difficult future..
:rofl:

wab wrote:Did they adjust your meds recently docc?
if they have, share some :D
George Carlin