9.17.17 // LOSS - Bears 7, Bucs 29

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

The first pick was just as bad, IMO....considering he had a WIDE open Shaheen in the flat and didn't even look in his direction.
Never Die Easy
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

most QB's look like their head is on a swivel as they go through their progression ... Glennon locks on, stays locked on and staring, then throws where he has been staring ... I'm shocked Tampa only had 2 picks
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:most QB's look like their head is on a swivel as they go through their progression ... Glennon locks on, stays locked on and staring, then throws where he has been staring ... I'm shocked Tampa only had 2 picks
I'm amazed that pigeons are not coming down to sit on Glennon's head and shoulders when he slowly so slowly moves back in the pocket.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Totally agree with some of you who stated that Cohen is getting too many reps and messing up Howards game. IF he is that badly hurt, stop putting him out there and let him rest up. If he isn't, start using Cohen more as a wr, since he can apparently run those routes, and then hand-off to him as needed to mix things up.

On the other hand, Cohen is the ONLY thing that looks like he has some electricity in him so I get Loggains wanting to use him.
BR0D1E86
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:The first pick was just as bad, IMO....considering he had a WIDE open Shaheen in the flat and didn't even look in his direction.
I'm confused. He probably wasn't the first read. The Smokescreen can't be expected to progress to a second read, can he? Nobody expects that of NFL quarterbacks. Plus, his vision is probably compromised with the lack of oxygen at his elevation.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote: Plus, his vision is probably compromised with the lack of oxygen at his elevation.
And then his heart has to pump that oxygenated blood up that long neck up to his brain.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:most QB's look like their head is on a swivel as they go through their progression ... Glennon locks on, stays locked on and staring, then throws where he has been staring ... I'm shocked Tampa only had 2 picks

Someone mentioned it in the chat room during the game. So I started watching him. Absolutely never got off of his first read. Most of those were to the left, and subsequently, I think he threw to the right side of the field like four or five times the whole game. It was horrible.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:He doesn't seem to be running with the same decisiveness/power that he did last year. I know his shoulder is banged up, but something else seems off...
His offensive line is also terrible, so there's that. I hate being right sometimes.

Also, he's kind of a rhythm runner, and they are giving Cohen too many snaps (in my opinion) and it's throwing everything off.
I'm with you guys. I think Howard is genuinely hacked off with the way he's been used so far. I mean this the guy who finished second in the league in rushing last season despite not starting the first few games, averaged over 5 yards a carry and went to the Pro Bowl. So far this season he's had just 22 carries in two games and keeps getting brought off the field for a 5'6 180lb rookie denying him the chance to get any momentum going. Teams are stacking the box and the blocking up front has been poor so his production is down too. He must have gone into the season expecting to be the main man on offense so how frustrating must all this be for him? I think we saw evidence of that late in the game when he absolutely levelled blitzers on back-to-back plays. It can't have done his shoulder much good but it was the highlight of the game on offense!
BR0D1E86 wrote:Also I live in Colorado, so it's pretty easy to ignore the Bears when I want to.
The stink's so bad I would have thought it carries even all the way down there!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears' Mike Glennon mistake right on schedule in dragging down franchise
It was always going to get this bad for the Bears at quarterback in 2017, and it was always going to get bad this fast. There were no real delusions about how bad it would get, and when.

The Mike Glennon Mistake was going to reach up and drag the Bears down eventually.

The disaster that happened in Tampa on Sunday is what most expected to happen in Chicago a week earlier against the Falcons. Even with all the things that went wrong to cost the Bears that game, Glennon did nothing to inspire confidence that the Bears’ brain trust had made the right decision throwing $19 million at him and handing him the starting job.

The 29-7 shellacking by the Buccaneers, a game that was a gruesome shutout until the final 1:43, was just a matter of time. And it reminded all that, because of that decision, more than all the other bad ones, everybody is on the clock. Glennon, coach John Fox and general manager Ryan Pace are all living on borrowed time. Or they should be.

Even ending the Glennon experiment right now, and rushing to Mitchell Trubisky in Week 3 of his rookie year, isn't going to change that. (After the game, Fox said that will not happen, anyway, and that Glennon is still his starter.)

Whenever it does happen, though, that will only be a more vivid reminder of how bad the Bears botched the most important decision the franchise had to make.

You’re tempted to say this is not Glennon’s fault, because if some team is willing to hand that kind of money, and the job, over to someone who brought as little to the table as he did, why wouldn't he fight back his laugh and sign?

But at some point, Glennon does have to prove he deserved to hold one of the 32 starting jobs, and he’s failed at that, spectacularly so against his old Bucs team in his old stadium.

On the other hand, how many more chances does he deserve after these two debacles?

Glennon could have been pulled after the Bears’ third offensive possession of the day resulted in their — his — third offensive turnover. (That doesn’t count the muffed punt by Tarik Cohen, just to show how contagious it was.) This one was Glennon’s second interception, telegraphed right to Robert McClain and returned 47 yards for a touchdown to put the Bucs ahead 23-0.

But give him the benefit of the doubt and fight off the knee-jerk reaction, right?

Well, fast-forward to the fourth quarter, when it was 29-0. The Bears had made a rare trip into the red zone, and Glennon's teammates had failed to help him by dropping two passes in one series of downs. On fourth-and-10 at the Bucs' 14-yard line, Glennon threw to tight end Zach Miller … crossing underneath, 5 yards short of the first down. It was incomplete. It didn’t matter.

The hopelessness on display in that play was breathtaking. Glennon, the offense, the coaches, the entire team, don’t even get credit for rolling the dice, gunslinging, saving face by shooting their shot. One would swear they were tanking, except they spent and maneuvered as if they were trying to win now, take a leap, speed up the rebuild so that it wouldn't be so painful.

It's painful.

his pass to Miller, well short of the first down marker, is a very true indicator of the seeming total lack of situational awareness

hopeless and painful - the mantra for the 2017 Chicago Bears
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I hate how these hack writers lump Pace and Fox in together. They aren't going to fire Pace.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I hate how these hack writers lump Pace and Fox in together. They aren't going to fire Pace.

I certainly don't think so either

but what if Pace insists on extending Fox rather than firing him?

don't know the actual odds of that ... and still don't know if Fox being hired in the first place was Pace's independent decision as GM or if he was directed to as some stories implied ... but if Fox is/was Pace's guy, how strong of a tether is that?

this is one time I would really like to have some real information rather than everyone's guesswork (which includes ours) ... but that simply isn't going to happen unfortunately, nor do I expect that it should
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:I hate how these hack writers lump Pace and Fox in together. They aren't going to fire Pace.
Nope. Pace is going to get another hire. He's been far from perfect in cleaning up the dumpster fire he inherited, but I like a fair bit of what he's done. It's not enough, obviously, but he's done a decent amount of good.
Middleguard
MVP

Final: Bears 7, Buccaneers 29
UOK 10-23 126 take this guy to the bank
WagonForce 13-24 182
RING4CHI 6-38 182
Otis Day 13-20 342
G08 17-24 350
Mikefive 15-20 434
wab 17-21 488
alexwilkins 20-24 518
Middleguard 20-23 566
BearButtseks 23-27 584
Deep Dish Ditka 17-49 600
MoFugger 24-50 746
DaSuperfan 20-17 938
Atkins&Rebel 17-14 950
Boris13c 23-20 962
Funkster 24-20 1046
VA_Mountain_Bear 27-24 1050
Bears Whiskey Nut 24-17 1274
Richie 24-16 1358
pus 30-20 1634
Mr.Irrelevant 26-13 1842
Adipost 108 hrs after UOK
FaithInCutler 1 hr after B W N
Malk criticized but wouldn't play
UOK
Site Admin

Middleguard wrote:Final: Bears 7, Buccaneers 29
UOK 10-23 126 take this guy to the bank
WagonForce 13-24 182
RING4CHI 6-38 182
Otis Day 13-20 342
G08 17-24 350
Mikefive 15-20 434
wab 17-21 488
alexwilkins 20-24 518
Middleguard 20-23 566
BearButtseks 23-27 584
Deep Dish Ditka 17-49 600
MoFugger 24-50 746
DaSuperfan 20-17 938
Atkins&Rebel 17-14 950
Boris13c 23-20 962
Funkster 24-20 1046
VA_Mountain_Bear 27-24 1050
Bears Whiskey Nut 24-17 1274
Richie 24-16 1358
pus 30-20 1634
Mr.Irrelevant 26-13 1842
Adipost 108 hrs after UOK
FaithInCutler 1 hr after B W N
Malk criticized but wouldn't play
Wait, what is this? How does scoring work?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I was wondering the same.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

deviation from Bears' score squared +
deviation from opponent's score squared +
deviation from final margin squared

exactly right = 0
one team a point high or low = 2
both teams a point high or a point low = 2
one team a point high and the other a point low = 6
Boris13c
Hall of Famer