Tanner Gentry promoted to active roster

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hematite
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm annoyed that this offense REQUIRES Trubisky to go off-script in order to make plays. What happened to, you know, having intelligent playcalling that will get WRs open and the QB will find him in his progressions?

I hope Gentry does well, but to me this reeks of "well, he knows his scramble rules and can high-point the ball, maybe Mitch can throw him some lobs".
This has nothing to do with intelligent play calling. There isn't a receiver on the Bears, that is starting right now, that would be a starting WR on another team. MAYBE Wright. But that's about it. You can call the best plays in the world, but if you're receivers suck ass, it matters fuck-all. Trubisky will be battling this...ALL SEASON LONG. Remember that, when he throws a pick to a receiver that doesn't cross face, or is late out of his break.
Yes...The NFL is a players league and unfortunately for Chicago fans, none of them are receivers here!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

honeymoon's over
wab
Mod

Gentry is bad.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Yes sadly I agree. Thought he had a chance with preseason but definitely can't handle being 1 or 2.
wab
Mod

I think he’s a guy worth keeping around on the PS to see if he develops. But I’d almost rather see Bellamy out there. He can at least run routes and get open. He may drop most of the balls but he at least gives the QB something to work with.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think he’s a guy worth keeping around on the PS to see if he develops. But I’d almost rather see Bellamy out there. He can at least run routes and get open. He may drop most of the balls but he at least gives the QB something to work with.
Yeah, that dig route they showed on replay was really bad. He never sold the 9, at all. We're lucky it didn't get picked.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Yeah, I'd much rather have Bellamy out there with his drops and all. He's physical and gets open. And who knows, he may get better in the catching department, but I doubt it.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:Yeah, I'd much rather have Bellamy out there with his drops and all. He's physical and gets open. And who knows, he may get better in the catching department, but I doubt it.
Yeah. It's time for the Tanner Gentry experiment to be over.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

..and who is next..??
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Anyone would be better. This team cut him twice, that told me something right there. I'd take Victor Cruz over Gentry and Cruz had nothing left. next year he he isn't here.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Why not just bring Marquess Wilson back. He sucks, but he's tall, knows most of the playbook, and is better than Gentry.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:Yeah, I'd much rather have Bellamy out there with his drops and all. He's physical and gets open. And who knows, he may get better in the catching department, but I doubt it.
I'd like to keep him on the practice squad, but he's got no value until he learns to run routes.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
I'd like to keep him on the practice squad, but he's got no value until he learns to run routes.
Or until they have at least 4 WRs better than him.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Why not just bring Marquess Wilson back. He sucks, but he's tall, knows most of the playbook, and is better than Gentry.
If they hadn't signed Inman, I wonder if that would have happened over the bye.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Tanner Gentry experiment to me is an utter failure ... the guy has no concept of what a pass route is, cannot get any separation on the sort-of routes he does run, and almost got Mitch picked off because instead of coming all the way back for a pass that was where it should have been for a 7 yard gain, HE FUCKING STOPPED, allowing the DB to catch back up and bat the ball down

I am now of the opinion Gentry couldn't make a Chicago Park District flag football team and he has no business being on the Bears

I was one of the many who wanted to see him get a shot ... well, he has ... and he has proven himself unworthy
Last edited by Boris13c on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

He's a UDFA nobody. This is the state of the Bears WRs.
malk
Head Coach

Gentry should, at most be coming in to run his one route as a 3rd receiver. Our corps mean he has to do more than that and it's a bit unfair on him. Sure his routes are crap but they aren't going to improve during the season. I hope he can get better over the off season and be useful as a #5 next year rather than us giving up on him because he didn't go from UDFA to solid #2 in his rookie year.

Oh and I'd have Q back in a heartbeat. I've no idea why we aren't kicking the tires on him, it's crazy.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Gentry should, at most be coming in to run his one route as a 3rd receiver. Our corps mean he has to do more than that and it's a bit unfair on him. Sure his routes are crap but they aren't going to improve during the season. I hope he can get better over the off season and be useful as a #5 next year rather than us giving up on him because he didn't go from UDFA to solid #2 in his rookie year.

Oh and I'd have Q back in a heartbeat. I've no idea why we aren't kicking the tires on him, it's crazy.
For real. I always liked Q.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

malk wrote:Gentry should, at most be coming in to run his one route as a 3rd receiver. Our corps mean he has to do more than that and it's a bit unfair on him. Sure his routes are crap but they aren't going to improve during the season. I hope he can get better over the off season and be useful as a #5 next year rather than us giving up on him because he didn't go from UDFA to solid #2 in his rookie year.

It's not just that his routes are bad, it's that he can get off the line, beat the jam, or separate. He doesn't know how to use his hands or his body to get away from the DB. Unless Gentry catches the DB sleeping and blows by him immediately, he's done.

I'm not saying the guy is hopeless, but he has an awful lot to learn and he's hurting more than helping right now.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:

It's not just that his routes are bad, it's that he can get off the line, beat the jam, or separate. He doesn't know how to use his hands or his body to get away from the DB. Unless Gentry catches the DB sleeping and blows by him immediately, he's done.

I'm not saying the guy is hopeless, but he has an awful lot to learn and he's hurting more than helping right now.
Can't argue with that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:

I'm having a brain fart - who is Q?
Never Die Easy
BR0D1E86
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:
G08 wrote:

Marquess Wilson I think. I assume he'd tear something in his elbow signing the contract.
Wounded Bear
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
G08 wrote:

Marquess Wilson I think. I assume he'd tear something in his elbow signing the contract.
I think Fed-Ex IR'd him after he broke his foot jumping out of the truck. This was supposed to be his year.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
malk
Head Coach

Please guys, these jokes, I'm laughing so hard I can't get my breath back, you're killing me.

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Please guys, these jokes, I'm laughing so hard I can't get my breath back, you're killing me.
:toast:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
G08 wrote:

I think Fed-Ex IR'd him after he broke his foot jumping out of the truck. This was supposed to be his year.
damn ... and with the holiday season coming up, that means he won't qualify for their 'Helpful Elf' bonus
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
PapaDongo
Practice Squad

He got cut. Shame that he's a bust, I liked him at preseason.
UOK
Site Admin

PapaDongo wrote:He got cut. Shame that he's a bust, I liked him at preseason.
He's not a bust. I think he could definitely be a contributor as a 3rd/4th WR on a team with 1-2 actual NFL starting wideouts. He's not meant to be the X, though.
PapaDongo
Practice Squad

Well players dont get cut over and over in their rookie year. Its not like hes thr next Daonte Thompson and he is gonna to catch on with a good team. In order to be a successful white WR you have to play smart and I just don't think Tanner has the grey matter to make it in this league.
UOK
Site Admin

PapaDongo wrote:Well players dont get cut over and over in their rookie year. Its not like hes thr next Daonte Thompson and he is gonna to catch on with a good team. In order to be a successful white WR you have to play smart and I just don't think Tanner has the grey matter to make it in this league.
Sigh. Okay, so any more posts like this and I may have to consider warnings, suspensions, and locking this thread.