WCG: Why the Bears lost to Atlanta (good read)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

BR0D1E86 wrote:
G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:White was placed on IR.
Designated to return isn't an option?
It is. And they no longer have to designate the player up front. And they get two.

But most of the speculation I saw was that it was season ending.
Haven't read anything definitive, but a sports injury doctor guy on twitter said it's possible he'd be back in 2 months, but I have my doubts, weird injury like that.
wab
Mod

we really don't know the severity of the break... but the more I think about it, the more they may want to try to get him back on the field this season if at all possible.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:we really don't know the severity of the break... but the more I think about it, the more they may want to try to get him back on the field this season if at all possible.
Really nothing to lose if he can play. He's going to be here next year regardless. His salary is guaranteed and he has no trade value. See what he can do with a real quarterback at the end of the season instead of checkdown Charlie.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:we really don't know the severity of the break... but the more I think about it, the more they may want to try to get him back on the field this season if at all possible.
Donte Moncrief missed 5 weeks. Procise broke his scapula in week 11. He returned to practice the week before the divisional round of the playoffs. He was listed as questionable on the injury report, but was ruled out on game day.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

That was terrific stuff re: Kevin White. It makes me more comfortable knowing that he actually was getting open but by virtue of Glennon just not looking his way or protection breakdowns he wasn't getting the ball. It's a shame White got injured because I think his style of football requires a more athletic QB getting him the ball, someone who can extend a play and actually look for him. Glennon just didn't target him enough. I think Trubisky will have more success with White.

Crossing fingers he can return this season, but I'm not holding my breath. When White gets hurt it's been season ending every time, I don't see how this is any different (especially if he has to have surgery).
Never Die Easy
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

As much as I want White to pan out, I just don't see him being able to stay healthy for a full season ever.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:As much as I want White to pan out, I just don't see him being able to stay healthy for a full season ever.
Zach Miller went through the same thing the first couple years of his career.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:This article is a perfect Segway into what i saw from Kevin White on Sunday:

Upon further review, the actual tape on White was not as bad as it seemed. Most of the game, Glennon had already dumped off the pass before White's actual route was fully developed. And on the dropped pass, the linebacker actually tipped the ball before it got to White. He was running strong routes and was always going full effort. For whatever reason, Glennon was not giving the routes time to materialize. It looked as though all the WR routes were just decoys for the sole purpose of freeing up the underneath man.

1. The first pass to White was broken up by the defender because White's left foot slipped on the grass as he made his cut.

Because of this, White was late to the spot and the defensive back gained inside leverage

2. On the supposed dropped pass, the trajectory of the ball was altered about a yard before it hit his hands. The ball went from a spiral to an end over end spin. This pic shows the moment before the linebacker tips the ball.

3. This deep pattern was supposed to go to White. Unfortunately, Leno got bullrushed right into Glennon and all hell broke loose.

Here's a pic right before Glennon gets hit. You can see him eyeing White and waiting for his break. When Leon's foot grazed Glennon, he immediately dropped his eyes and aborted the play.

4. Here is an example of Glennon not letting the play develop. This pic is of White at the moment he makes a break on his route toward the sideline. The ball has already been thrown over the head of Cohen down the middle of the field (red circle). There was no pressure on Glennon, but he saw ghosts and panicked, dumping it off to Cohen.

5. On this play, Kevin makes an incredibly powerful move on his route at exactly the 40 yard line. It was such a good move that the cornerback fell directly on his ass. But Glennon didn't let the play develop, leaving White open in the middle of the field jumping up and down in frustration with his hands flailing.

6. Here, the falcons are basically daring Glennon to go deep.

7. White hopping up and down in frustration as he's begging for the ball.

8. Finally, this is the play that ended White. As you can see in the pic, there is literally no one within 12 yards of him!!! But Glennon delivers the ball so horrifically late, that the defender has enough time to recover and put a lick on White almost immediately after he gets the ball.

Jesus. Glennon is making mistakes a rookie quarterback would make. Staring down receivers, not allowing plays to develop, etc.

Might as well just play Trubisky and let him make the mistakes Glennon is going to make anyway.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:As much as I want White to pan out, I just don't see him being able to stay healthy for a full season ever.
Zach Miller went through the same thing the first couple years of his career.
And the last couple. And most every one in between, sadly.
docc
Head Coach

All teams have injuries,,we have them without any depth to replace the invalids..

Much needs to be done..
WP.1
Player of the Month

yes on some plays White was open and Glennon with bad reads. But on two mention plays.

why did White slip? I not saw any/many players slip.

"On the supposed dropped pass, the trajectory of the ball was altered about a yard before it hit his hands. The ball went from a spiral to an end over end spin. This pic shows the moment before the linebacker tips the ball."

A big if the LB did touch the ball it had no effect. Pass from Glennon had already an end over end spin. White did not have one hand under the ball.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

You must not have watched the game. Slipping happened commonly for both teams. That's characteristic of Soldier Field going back years.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

WP.1 wrote:yes on some plays White was open and Glennon with bad reads. But on two mention plays.

why did White slip? I not saw any/many players slip.

"On the supposed dropped pass, the trajectory of the ball was altered about a yard before it hit his hands. The ball went from a spiral to an end over end spin. This pic shows the moment before the linebacker tips the ball."

A big if the LB did touch the ball it had no effect. Pass from Glennon had already an end over end spin. White did not have one hand under the ball.

Watch #59:

https://gfycat.com/CheapOrdinaryBorderterrier