Adam Shaheen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Is anyone overly concerned with Shaheen's lack of development thus far? I remember reading reports early in camp how he was tearing it up but none of that has translated to game production.

He's a small school guy, maybe just needs more time to develop than others. I also think the TE position is a tough one to come in as a rookie and just blow up. I'm not too concerned but wish he'd have been involved a little more in the passing game last week. I noticed him in the lineup only for blocking assignments.

Hoping they ease him in the passing game against the Bucs with our WR's being such a weakness.
Never Die Easy
UOK
Site Admin

Nope. I think he's one of those slow burn guys who will take a year to soak up all the intangibles of the NFL and how to best be utilized, but year two, year three? He'll start to blossom. Can't be too quick to give up on him, especially with Miller and Sims ahead of him. Even Brown will get more targets.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Tight ends take a notoriously long time to adjust anyway, and he came from Ashland. I think it's too early to tell much of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PC Load Letter
Practice Squad

DaSuperfan wrote:I noticed him in the lineup only for blocking assignments.
That's not a bad thing. That's usually what most rookie TEs struggle with. The fact that they feel he's not a liability in that department is encouraging.

What's not encouraging is that we didn't put him or Cohen in at the end of the game to target. Both players are huge mismatches for defenders but it kinda seems like our staff went with the old conservative approach that rookies can't be trusted in those situations, and Dowell pretty much said so.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

PC Load Letter wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:I noticed him in the lineup only for blocking assignments.
That's not a bad thing. That's usually what most rookie TEs struggle with. The fact that they feel he's not a liability in that department is encouraging.

What's not encouraging is that we didn't put him or Cohen in at the end of the game to target. Both players are huge mismatches for defenders but it kinda seems like our staff went with the old conservative approach that rookies can't be trusted in those situations, and Dowell pretty much said so.
I think there are a couple things, both positive and negative going on.

Positive - the knock on him out of college was blocking, which he seems to have picked up very quickly.

Negative - trust, when Fox has two solid options at TE he isn't going to put a rookie in, in that situation.

It will come, probably about 1/2 way through the season when Miller goes down with an inevitable injury he will start to play more and shine.
karhu
Head Coach

Yes and no. Yes because he's not good for much but basic blocking, no because I still don't think that much of him as a prospect and figure it'll take him 2-3 years to learn how to be much more than tall as a receiver.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
FaithInCutler
MVP

Not even close to concerned. Nobody is asking hm to be the man right now. He has the same luxury that Mitch does.. He can take it all in... I fully expect him to have a break out game at some point and never look back. I’m not sure he believes he can compete at this level. Once he makes a few plays and gets comfortable, look out.. He’s going to be a monster.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
G08
Hall of Famer

Nah, man. Right now he's behind Miller and Sims, and rightfully so. I like that he's getting some reps on O and working on blocking on ST. Let him hammer there down and then throw him out there (likely when it's Trubisky time).

More and more I'm looking at this season like a developmental one for the future.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

Two solid players in Sims and Miller ahead of him, I can't see how it comes down to any more than that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:Tight ends take a notoriously long time to adjust anyway, and he came from Ashland. I think it's too early to tell much of anything.
yeah, not that it's a completely true measure of their worth, but if you google top rookie TE seasons, it really highlights how much expectations need to be tempered with young TE's.
http://davidgonos.com/best-rookie-tight ... -football/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg olsen, who's last three seasons have been over 1000 yards had a whopping 391 yards his rookie season with 2 TD's. and we had much weaker TE depth back then.
wab
Mod

Nah, I like to wait until at least week 3 to give up on rookies.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

FaithInCutler wrote:Not even close to concerned. Nobody is asking hm to be the man right now. He has the same luxury that Mitch does.. He can take it all in... I fully expect him to have a break out game at some point and never look back. I’m not sure he believes he can compete at this level. Once he makes a few plays and gets comfortable, look out.. He’s going to be a monster.
Yep. In Pace's grand scheme, my guess is that he has Shaheen and Biscuits maturing at the same time. No concern about his development at all.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:Tight ends take a notoriously long time to adjust anyway, and he came from Ashland. I think it's too early to tell much of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This pretty well sums it up.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Right now he's powered mostly by Chipotle. Assuming he has the work ethic, with a year or two of NFL training he'll be a beast.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He's a rook from a small college, I hope no one expected him to come in and light the NFL on fire. No concerns, time will make this dude better. He needs time to adjust to the speed and strength of this game.
dplank
Hall of Famer

He kinda runs like a girl.
Umbali
MVP

I think they should at least put him out wide a bit without blocking responsibilities 4 or 5 times a game...let him feel the speed and maybe provide a mismatch
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This is a dumb thread.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Is anyone overly concerned with Shaheen's lack of development thus far? I remember reading reports early in camp how he was tearing it up but none of that has translated to game production.

He's a small school guy, maybe just needs more time to develop than others. I also think the TE position is a tough one to come in as a rookie and just blow up. I'm not too concerned but wish he'd have been involved a little more in the passing game last week. I noticed him in the lineup only for blocking assignments.

Hoping they ease him in the passing game against the Bucs with our WR's being such a weakness.
He was a risky pick and probably taken too early.

At this point, looks like he's probably going to be a limited producer this year.
Not that that's a big deal with Sims and Miller ahead of him.
Miller is unlikely to get a new deal next year and then it will be time for Shaheen to show something.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:This is a dumb thread.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

The Bears have two solid TEs ahead of him and he was drafted as a rookie to develop. At least that's how most people see it. Why would we worry about this? If and when in preseason game three next year he looks like crap, then we can worry.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

4 Realz
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
4 Realz

WTF?
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Then don't post in it.
Never Die Easy
Magnum_Ursus
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
FaithInCutler wrote:Not even close to concerned. Nobody is asking hm to be the man right now. He has the same luxury that Mitch does.. He can take it all in... I fully expect him to have a break out game at some point and never look back. I’m not sure he believes he can compete at this level. Once he makes a few plays and gets comfortable, look out.. He’s going to be a monster.
Yep. In Pace's grand scheme, my guess is that he has Shaheen and Biscuits maturing at the same time. No concern about his development at all.
I look at this year's draft class as primarily guys Pace was picking to contribute NEXT year.