Hot upcoming coaching candidates?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:Soooo.... what about Dowell??? or Fangio???
Dowell looks like comedian Patton Oswalt ... and it would make sense for a team that is a comedy of errors be led by a comedian

so screw Loggains - Patton Oswalt for Head Coach!
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Been pushing the Patton Oswalt thing for a couple years now lmao...

He's his doppelganger.
UOK
Site Admin

Not gonna lie, the whole looks thing is mildly not so useful as an argument. I wouldn't care if the Bears were full of the ugliest bastards in the NFL.

It's when they play (or coach) like shit that the aesthetics become ammunition to pile on, and that I really don't have much of a problem with.
Wounded Bear
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
dplank wrote:I'd take Josh Daniels in a heart beat.

Also, Stoops.
For as bad as he crapped the bed the first time around, I'd imagine he learned from it. And he wouldn't have personnel control here.

I'd be on board.
Yeah, I keep thinking about how shitty Bill Belichick was the first time around in Cleveland. I have to imagine that after you fail like that the first time around, you probably spend an awful lot of time sitting around and thinking about all of the things you should have done and could have done differently.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

In my dream world, we move on to an offensive type guy... Put me on the Jim Bob Cooter bandwagon sooner or later... Giving Biscuit a more solid offensive staff to develop under... and keeping Vic Fangio, giving him a raise and letting him do his thing as DC.

I don't want Dowell Loggains. I'd like someone to come from a successful organization. Loggains being with the Titans and Bears, doesn't really fill the bill.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I don't know about dismissing one time failures out of hand. Bill Belichek was one of those once.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

Here's the article about Josh McDaniels I was talking about:

The Redemption of Josh McDaniels (from 2016)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

How about Jim Harbaugh? He'd be tough to pry away from Michigan and I'm not sure how he'd get along with Pace, but I think he'd be a great selection. He's always said it'd be his NFL dream job to coach the team that drafted him. An added bonus would be that there'd probably be a higher chance of Fangio sticking around as well.
Never Die Easy
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I'm a big fan of Todd Haley. He's an offensive mind with a defensive personality.
Adipost
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:How about Jim Harbaugh? He'd be tough to pry away from Michigan and I'm not sure how he'd get along with Pace, but I think he'd be a great selection. He's always said it'd be his NFL dream job to coach the team that drafted him. An added bonus would be that there'd probably be a higher chance of Fangio sticking around as well.
If Harbaugh comes back to the NFL, Irsay will give him a blank check and part ownership to reunite with Andrew Luck in Indy.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Here's the article about Josh McDaniels I was talking about:

The Redemption of Josh McDaniels (from 2016)
I thought about Joshy-boy, but I didn't know if he was still the prick that got run out of Denver. As another poster said, Belichick had his challenges the first few years as a HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:How about Jim Harbaugh? He'd be tough to pry away from Michigan and I'm not sure how he'd get along with Pace, but I think he'd be a great selection. He's always said it'd be his NFL dream job to coach the team that drafted him. An added bonus would be that there'd probably be a higher chance of Fangio sticking around as well.
I'd take Harbaugh in a heartbeat. But I don't think that's realistic any time soon.

UOK
Site Admin

I think Harbaugh would be a good fit here, but the McCaskeys would be leery of hiring him, for reasons both financial and philosophical. They'd rather have someone they could comfortably know would respect the hierarchy. I have no idea what kind of coach Pace would want, but I suspect Sean Payton would be on his short list. Not who I'd hire, though. He'd want too much control.
wab
Mod

I think (assume?) Pace wants someone with a similar mindset. I think we all agreed that wasn't Fox when he was hired, but we also knew that Fox was hired to bring stability and credibility. I think to an extent he did that, but it didn't translate to wins (and stability/wins aren't mutually exclusive). He was brought in to fix the locker room and I think he did that as well.

In retrospect, the Fox hire was never really about wins, it was about fixing the broken things off the field. The next coach will inherit a strong locker room and some young talent.
G08
Hall of Famer

Well... if we look at the McDaniels angle... we have a QB that is tremendously accurate (a la Tom Brady) while being much more mobile, we have (perhaps) a Gronk Jr. in Adam Shaheen... we have a decent running game and our WRs currently are shit but I'm expecting an overhaul heading into next season (Jeffery didn't seem like a Patriots WR type).

Dude is a bright mind that has been brought up around arguably the greatest NFL coach/mind ever... and he's a youngster with some spunk a la Sean Payton. Lots of parallels...

I am excite.
wab
Mod

I personally just don't like McDaniels. I think he's a bag of dicks.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Aside from McDaniels being a bag of dicks, what's he done without Tom Brady and a great defense backing him up?

The guy I'd want from NE is Patricia. If Fangio decides that he can't stay and work under him, then Patricia is still a base 3-4 guy and we don't lose much from the direction this defense has been built. There are more good offensive coordinators out there than defensive coordinators. and if we have our head coach making calls from the sidelines, I'd rather him call the defense than the offense.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:There are more good offensive coordinators out there than defensive coordinators
This.
G08
Hall of Famer

I dig the idea of a defensive coordinator as a HC, it ties into our (dated, IMO) image of being a defense-first team. But... what if the OC he hires is dogshit? Or, what if he's another Adam Gase where he's gone after a year or two?

I'm of the opinion everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, should be decided with Mitch Trubisky in mind. That points me directly to a brilliant offensive mind that knows how to run a team (not another Trestman, Marc).
Bad Flanders
MVP

:clap:
wab wrote:I personally just don't like McDaniels. I think he's a bag of dicks.
:clap:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Fox, Pagano, and Bowles staffs are the most likely to be fired. The Bears and Colts have a young talented QB. The Colts have a new GM but have a crazy owner. I would probably lean towards the Colts as a better job.

I wouldn't mind Bowles as a DC if McDaniels was brought it.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Fox, Pagano, and Bowles staffs are the most likely to be fired. The Bears and Colts have a young talented QB. The Colts have a new GM but have a crazy owner. I would probably lean towards the Colts as a better job.

I wouldn't mind Bowles as a DC if McDaniels was brought it.
I could live with and would love that. Bowles runs a 3-4 the way I want it run...

docc
Head Coach

McDaniels was an absolute asshole and horrible as a HC..and like been said. He won't have The Emperor Palpatine or
St.Tom Brady and all that consistent talent..
There will be better offers for bag of dicks.. A team with some talent ready to compete..

We are in deep shit..we need someone taking a chance on shoveling us out..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I dig the idea of a defensive coordinator as a HC, it ties into our (dated, IMO) image of being a defense-first team. But... what if the OC he hires is dogshit? Or, what if he's another Adam Gase where he's gone after a year or two?

I'm of the opinion everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, should be decided with Mitch Trubisky in mind. That points me directly to a brilliant offensive mind that knows how to run a team (not another Trestman, Marc).
I entirely agree with the way you put this. I too like defense first, particularly considering our outdoor stadium climate. But if I'm making a decision this offseason, I'm going with an offensive coach to groom the most important asset we have. And as I said before, don't fire Vic Fangio, so that the new guy can keep him to maintain some continuity in our improving defense.

Also, the talk of promoting coordinators from the always competitive Pats is tempting, but how often has that actually worked out well? Pretty low percentage play historically.

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

8-) Everybody remembers how NE got Belichick, right?

this from Wikipedia:

...he was introduced as the Patriots' 12th full-time head coach, succeeding the recently fired Pete Carroll. The Patriots had tried to hire him away from Parcells/the Jets in the past. Parcells and the Jets claimed that Belichick was still under contract to the Jets, and demanded compensation from the Patriots. NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue agreed, and the Patriots gave the Jets a first-round draft pick in 2000 in exchange for the right to hire Belichick.[19]

I remember a lot of fans thought it was nuts for NE to give up a first round pick for a new HC

sounds like some shit Ryan Pace might try to pull, if you think about it :)
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Wounded Bear
MVP

So....you want to offer New England a first round pick for Belichick?
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:So....you want to offer New England a first round pick for Belichick?
pardon, my opaque brain drool doesn't always translate well

The Pats' hiring Belichick in 1999 set a precedent for an organization to leave no doors un-opened in the eternal search for the next Don Shula, even if their conniving methods ultimately cost them a high-round pick(s).

After the 2017 draft, we learned Ryan Pace is not afraid to make his signature "bold move" in a blockbuster deal for long-term value - he made the big move for the Biscuit and its so far - so good at this point, even if we get stuck with Glennon/Sanchez for most of the 2017 season.

The Belichick precedent gives me hope that our wheeler-dealer GM just might have the moxie to land our long-term head coach, the "right coach" for the Bears, by fair means or foul, whatever it takes to get the right young guy.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

here's an idea for a bold move: how about a guy who won a couple of grey cups and is all in on the self-actualization train?
G08
Hall of Famer

pus wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:So....you want to offer New England a first round pick for Belichick?

The Pats' hiring Belichick in 1999 set a precedent for an organization to leave no doors un-opened in the eternal search for the next Don Shula, even if their conniving methods cost them a high-round pick(s).

After the 2017 draft, we learned Ryan Pace is not afraid to make his signature "bold move" in a blockbuster deal for long-term value - he made the big move for the Biscuit and its so far - so good at this point.

The Belichick precedent gives me hope that our wheeler-dealer GM just might have the moxie to land our long-term head coach, the "right coach" for the Bears, by fair means or foul, whatever it takes to get the right young guy.
It wouldn't shock me to see Pace trade a draft pick to the Saints for Sean Payton...
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
pus wrote:

The Pats' hiring Belichick in 1999 set a precedent for an organization to leave no doors un-opened in the eternal search for the next Don Shula, even if their conniving methods cost them a high-round pick(s).

After the 2017 draft, we learned Ryan Pace is not afraid to make his signature "bold move" in a blockbuster deal for long-term value - he made the big move for the Biscuit and its so far - so good at this point.

It wouldn't shock me to see Pace trade a draft pick to the Saints for Sean Payton...
Hopefully a 8th. I'm not impressed with him at all personally. Can't seem to make a defense work and without Brees he'd be nothing special. Kinda like Warner in Arizona with Whisenhunt. Once they are gone they will not be good.