Bernstein: Fox Will Be Fired

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Don't shoot the messenger...
Bernstien was on the Score during transition and he said based on what he is hearing

-Fox and Pace have an arms length relationship
-Fox is difficult to work with
-Fox is fired and was fired before the season started
-Fox is going to have to be forced to play Trubisky as he doesn't want to play a rookie

"John Fox is fired, fired, fired"
Apparently their relationship is just a working relationship and all John Fox does is bitch about everything.

Bears Got Embarrassed -Transition- 9-18-17 http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/the-s ... n-9-18-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start at 9:40
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Wounded Bear
MVP

Nice find. This is basically supports what Chris Mortensen was saying. John Fox will not be the coach of the Chicago Bears in 2018.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
wab
Mod

I mean you can almost tell Fox gives no fucks.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

One of the leagues highest paid coaches with his background does not deserve a fourth shot at a losing year...

So yes... if Fox does not win this year, it goes without saying that he's gone.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This organization is just clueless. People say Pace was forced to hire Fox, again family meddling in the shit they don't know. Coach doesn't work out, the carosel continues. While it will probably be good he is gone, will the McClasslesskeys let the GM do his job? And the inconsistency will continue.
G08
Hall of Famer

I didn't mind the Fox hire because Pace was SO young and clearly inexperienced in being a first time GM. I think he learned some things from Fox just as I'm sure he hates a ton of things about Fox.

I'm glad he'll be gone. I don't know if I expect Fangio to be back, but it would be aces to have a brilliant offensive mind come in as HC and convince Fangio to stay and tell him "the defense is your show". I get the impression Fox has meddled with Fangio's scheme and Fangio isn't having it.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I legitimately don't care anymore. Like about anything related to this season. I'll watch because I paid for SundayTicket...
G08
Hall of Famer

I want to see some of the younger dudes develop, and of course I'm itching to see the kid play.... but yeah, this is probably the least passionate I have felt about this team since before I deluded myself into cheering Matt Barkley to close last season... oof.

Wounded Bear
MVP

wab wrote:I legitimately don't care anymore. Like about anything related to this season. I'll watch because I paid for SundayTicket...
You know, I'm a pretty patient guy and I can be a "let's wait until next year" type of guy for a long period of time, but it has to be going somewhere......and your quote is kind of where I'm at since I don't see any light in this tunnel and I don't think we're any closer to a Super Bowl than we were 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 years ago.

Every once and again, a voice comes into my tiny little puddin' head and says, "You know, you're not obligated to be a Bear fan, are you? Why are you following an organization that is incompetent and apathetic about it's incompetence? If they don't fucking care, why should you?"
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I like Foxy. He's an old school guy. I guess he made sense when we were a veteran team, but now that we're rebuilding with a very young QB, we need a nice offensive mind. I don't think Dowell is ready for the head gig quite yet tho.
wab
Mod

Wounded Bear wrote:
wab wrote:I legitimately don't care anymore. Like about anything related to this season. I'll watch because I paid for SundayTicket...
You know, I'm a pretty patient guy and I can be a "let's wait until next year" type of guy for a long period of time, but it has to be going somewhere......and your quote is kind of where I'm at since I don't see any light in this tunnel and I don't think we're any closer to a Super Bowl than we were 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 years ago.

Every once and again, a voice comes into my tiny little puddin' head and says, "You know, you're not obligated to be a Bear fan, are you? Why are you following an organization that is incompetent and apathetic about it's incompetence? If they don't fucking care, why should you?"
100 internet points for you sir.
snake95
Journeyman

Just don't know that I can buy this. It may prove to be true later but Pace doesn't strike me as a guy who is a knee jerk individual. I don't really have any issues generally with Pace except for letting Cutler walk when there was no need to. As far as Fox I expect Pace to evaluate everything on the full season not 2 games or last years issues
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i've been on the "fox is completely safe because this is why he was brought in, to weather the storm of rebuilding" for awhile now, but man, i dont know how many more losses like this past sunday one coach can weather.
wab
Mod

The plight of Bears fans...2 games into 2017 and we are already looking forward to 2018.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote:The plight of Bears fans...2 games into 2017 and we are already looking forward to 2018.
aint it the truth. :frustrated:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
FaithInCutler
MVP

Yeah, as most have already said. I was a big Fox supporter. I thought h might attract good vets and plug some of the holes we had n the boat while Pace would provide the youth for our future. It’s clear that they have different philosophies. I will say that Fox surprised me when he fed Cohen the rock right after he had that dumb rookie moment on the punt. If he was responsible for that call, I’ll give him credit. He could have sat Cohen and just installed Howard at that point but he went right to him the first chance he got.. that is a sign that maybe he’s not the “anti-rookie” coach we all paint him to be.

As far as a new coach.. it’s just going to keep that “rebuilding” window open a few more years. If we are just going to install someone like Sean Payton I’d just rather keep Fox since he’d likely keep Loggins and Fangio.. at least that would give some stability for the young guys.

We are in a really-really bad spot, fellas... it’s not going to fix itself.. we need change. It’s just a matter of who, and I have no idea who that guy is. I hope pace is not just throwing darts when it comes to a new coaching staff.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
dplank
Hall of Famer

Seeing Jim Bob Cooter be so successful has me wanting a college coach. Additionally, Trubisky has a modern QB skill set, good legs/throws on the run/etc. I think a college style, spread offense would do wonders for this franchise.

STOOPS!!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No offense dplank, but if there is one thing that is really frustrating me, pushing me away from football, it is the fucking spread offense. I cannot stand it. I hate watching college games where the entire offense gets set and then pops up to look a the sidelines. I hate QBs constantly in the shotgun formation as well.

I really love high school football, to me the sport in its purest form, but most of the local high schools are running the spread as well. A couple of the smaller schools are still running some flexbone and power I and I love watching them. And those 2 teams are still winning the majority of their games. It is a system they have ran for 25+ years.
malk
Head Coach

snake95 wrote:Just don't know that I can buy this. It may prove to be true later but Pace doesn't strike me as a guy who is a knee jerk individual. I don't really have any issues generally with Pace except for letting Cutler walk when there was no need to. As far as Fox I expect Pace to evaluate everything on the full season not 2 games or last years issues
Knee jerk? If the doctor whacks your knee and your leg jerks three years later you've got a problem!

This is such a balls up. I was really dubious as to the merit of retaining Fox with a rookie QB likely coming in, now it looks batshit. Throw in the weird set of FA acquisitions (short term deals for middling vets when you're rebuilding?) and I have less and less confidence in Pace.

Hopefully sorting this out will be him throwing off the shackles and being his own GM proper but I'll take some convincing over his free agency nous.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:No offense dplank, but if there is one thing that is really frustrating me, pushing me away from football, it is the fucking spread offense. I cannot stand it. I hate watching college games where the entire offense gets set and then pops up to look a the sidelines. I hate QBs constantly in the shotgun formation as well.

I really love high school football, to me the sport in its purest form, but most of the local high schools are running the spread as well. A couple of the smaller schools are still running some flexbone and power I and I love watching them. And those 2 teams are still winning the majority of their games. It is a system they have ran for 25+ years.
You need a hug homie.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pace acts so fucking buddy buddy with Fox... is it an act? Or is this info Bernstein's pumping out just nonsense?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Pace acts so fucking buddy buddy with Fox... is it an act? Or is this info Bernstein's pumping out just nonsense?
Pace seems like a dude who can get a long with anyone. And I believe they genuinely get along as people...I just think they have some philosophical differences when it comes to football.

In my opinion I think the "Fox is hard to work with" thing is more amongst the coaching staff than between Fox/Pace.
FaithInCutler
MVP

malk wrote:
snake95 wrote:Just don't know that I can buy this. It may prove to be true later but Pace doesn't strike me as a guy who is a knee jerk individual. I don't really have any issues generally with Pace except for letting Cutler walk when there was no need to. As far as Fox I expect Pace to evaluate everything on the full season not 2 games or last years issues
Knee jerk? If the doctor whacks your knee and your leg jerks three years later you've got a problem!

This is such a balls up. I was really dubious as to the merit of retaining Fox with a rookie QB likely coming in, now it looks batshit. Throw in the weird set of FA acquisitions (short term deals for middling vets when you're rebuilding?) and I have less and less confidence in Pace.

Hopefully sorting this out will be him throwing off the shackles and being his own GM proper but I'll take some convincing over his free agency nous.
I honestly Love the way he’s handling FAs.. look at Hicks. The guy came in, proved he was worth the money and got paid. Everyone loved Freeman and McPhee. Everyone loved signing Sitton and guys like Demps.. We’ve yet to see Amukamara and if Cooper can bring a boost to our secondary.. but if they do they will b key additions in an area we need help, If not we will bring in others without killing the salary cap. I agree, at some point we are going to have to goo all in on some guys in FA, but until the building blocks start to mesh we would just be wasting salary cap on guys to come in, get paid, and give up on the team.
wab
Mod

FaithInCutler wrote:Everyone loved ... McPhee.
Not everyone... :wave:

But overall I agree with you on how he's handled FA. McPhee and Glennon though...I did not like. At all.
wab
Mod

....also, I don't think Fox will be fired.

I think he'll get to gracefully step down and "retire". Similar to what happened to Tom Coughlin.
FaithInCutler
MVP

wab wrote:
FaithInCutler wrote:Everyone loved ... McPhee.
Not everyone... :wave:

But overall I agree with you on how he's handled FA. McPhee and Glennon though...I did not like. At all.
I guess I did fail to mention Glennon.. but even as bad as he may look at first glance, it’s also kind of brilliant in that he’s still out backup when Mitch starts if we want him and it did not break the bank.. of course we could have kept Cutler, but that’s a matter of taste.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:....also, I don't think Fox will be fired.

I think he'll get to gracefully step down and "retire". Similar to what happened to Tom Coughlin.
In other words fired.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
snake95
Journeyman

malk wrote:

I feel the sentiments but looking at the whole body of Pace's work and the ambitious approach don't really seem all that out of sorts. Fox has been generally successful everywhere he's been. 2 games in just doesn't seem reasonable regardless of the nature of the TB game. Had we pulled out the Falcons game what would you be saying? Pace will evaluate on the season plain and simple. Launching Cutler remains my biggest question mark simply because we regressed at a position where we had a better QB. I agree that Pace has handled the free agents "IE Hicks" pretty well....We shall see...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I maybe in the minority but I kind of think Pace should be canned too. He won't be, but I don't think he has done that great of a job.

Fox will likely resign, and Pace will hire some chode who gets canned in a year with Pace.
Bad Flanders
MVP

malk wrote: This is such a balls up. I was really dubious as to the merit of retaining Fox with a rookie QB likely coming in, now it looks batshit. Throw in the weird set of FA acquisitions (short term deals for middling vets when you're rebuilding?) and I have less and less confidence in Pace.

What's the single biggest anchor on good, bad, and in-between teams every year? It's injuries without enough depth. Pace's method of filling holes via free-agency AND the draft is at least an attempt at curtailing that. And it has the added bonus of throwing a lot of people off their game when it comes to predicting the Bears draft. The quality of the FA this last year wasn't great and it's not like there was a ton out there. I think the situation was either Cutty or Fox and when Cutty was let go there wasn't ANYONE complaining (hind sight is 20 20 there now). And no one was complaining about the LB FA's we got last year either.

And no one is building a winning team via free agency anymore. His free agency moves are a hedge for drafted guys having issues, Glennon's contract is proof of that, it's a contract that says 1 year and then if the drafted guy isn't good we can continue to work on it. It's Fox that is insisting on playing Glennon now.

This team has two issues that need worked out before anyone can start to evaluate Pace. First, Fox is over, he needs to go. Secondly, the team needs to do something about conditioning... if that is Pace's fault, it won't get better once Fox or anyone else is gone, it really will be Pace's inability to tell a worn out player from a decent one, but until then I don't see how anyone could make a call on him.