Roster Moves

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:Spruce has had a rash of leg injuries, so don't expect much.

you totally missed my Blue Spruce joke at his expense didn't you?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:Image
As a base of operations, you cannot beat a fucking saloon.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Is he healthy?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I quick did some internet searching to see if anyone is out there at the WR position. Practice Squads and free agents are not a hot bed of talent. However either are the Bears. Here is my rankings

Dorial Green-Beckham FA
- if he isn't a pud

Aaron Dobson FA
- If healthy

Smelter, DeAndre WR 49ers
- 4th round pick with talent but injured in college

Paul McRoberts rams
-i thought for a d2 kid he had the right athletic skill set with good hands.

Dupre, Malachi WR Bills
- a lot of people liked him in the draft

Pascal, Zach WR Chiefs
- another low level college school guy but was graded well.

Howard, Bug WR Browns
- NC connection
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

After the last couple of weeks the Bears have apparently released a new QB depth chart:

1. Mitch Trubisky

2. Pat O'Donnell

3. Tarik Cohen

4. Zach Miller

5. Butt Fumble

6. Mike Glennon
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:After the last couple of weeks the Bears have apparently released a new QB depth chart:

1. Mitch Trubisky

2. Pat O'Donnell

3. Tarik Cohen

4. Zach Miller

5. Butt Fumble

6. Mike Glennon

looks right to me :thumbsup:
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:I quick did some internet searching to see if anyone is out there at the WR position. Practice Squads and free agents are not a hot bed of talent. However either are the Bears. Here is my rankings

Dorial Green-Beckham FA
- if he isn't a pud

Aaron Dobson FA
- If healthy

Smelter, DeAndre WR 49ers
- 4th round pick with talent but injured in college

Paul McRoberts rams
-i thought for a d2 kid he had the right athletic skill set with good hands.

Dupre, Malachi WR Bills
- a lot of people liked him in the draft

Pascal, Zach WR Chiefs
- another low level college school guy but was graded well.

Howard, Bug WR Browns
- NC connection
I just don't see the Bears bringing in a receiver, especially a FA or PS player that would have an impact on this team right now. Our best bet is to keep plugging away with who Trubisky is comfortable with. If this staff wants to throw less than 20 times per game, even a league leading WR wouldn't have much of an impact. I wish Loggains would go back to the play book when Hoyer was starting. With TRU's accuracy these WR's would benefit so much from that style of football.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

DGB has the talent, but man is he a putz. I don't know if it's work ethic, personality or he's just plain dumb, but the kid has been passed along from teams that weren't known for their WR corps.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:I just don't see the Bears bringing in a receiver, especially a FA or PS player that would have an impact on this team right now. Our best bet is to keep plugging away with who Trubisky is comfortable with. If this staff wants to throw less than 20 times per game, even a league leading WR wouldn't have much of an impact. I wish Loggains would go back to the play book when Hoyer was starting. With TRU's accuracy these WR's would benefit so much from that style of football.
Agreed. It's clear the Bears would prefer to take the guys they know, who by all appearances are at least hard workers, over guys who have question marks with more talent (DGB/Bryant types).
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I get that logic Funk and Wan. I agree that's likely what they will do. However theoretically everyone who dresses ay WR on Sunday won't be on the team next year.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

TY Hilton is reportedly on the block...if they get high to insane value
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:TY Hilton is reportedly on the block...if they get high to insane value
Kinda depends on what they'd want for him. Do they need an injured 2nd round center from Oregon?
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:TY Hilton is reportedly on the block...if they get high to insane value
Kinda depends on what they'd want for him. Do they need an injured 2nd round center from Oregon?

Reports have the colts asking a very high price. Given the circumstances where the Bears are, it would be a huge mistake to make anything but a player for player move this season. Those are rare and I don't seriously see Pace making this move. It's not time for desperation, it's time to stay the course. The Bears are already shy on their draft picks for next year.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:

Reports have the colts asking a very high price. Given the circumstances where the Bears are, it would be a huge mistake to make anything but a player for player move this season. Those are rare and I don't seriously see Pace making this move. It's not time for desperation, it's time to stay the course. The Bears are already shy on their draft picks for next year.
Agreed.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Just heard on ESPN 1000 that the Colts asking price is a 1st.
-Shu
wab
Mod

mshu7 wrote:Just heard on ESPN 1000 that the Colts asking price is a 1st.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Pace should be fired if he makes THAT move.
Nanky
Journeyman

I'm not opposed to making a trade for a WR as long as he's part of the future plans. Might be good for MT and the acquired player to get some time together this year. That being said, I would not give up 1st or 2nd for Hilton at this point.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Jesus Christ, the guy is 5'9" tall. We DON'T need another diminutive pass catcher. We need a go up and get the ball, 6'3"+ X receiver.
Nanky
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Jesus Christ, the guy is 5'9" tall. We DON'T need another diminutive pass catcher. We need a go up and get the ball, 6'3"+ X receiver.
Some of the top WRs in the league are not tall. We just need talent at the position. It's hard to argue with Hilton's production. Trade for him and draft a taller WR in the 1st round next year and hopefully Meredith is back from injury as well, that would be pretty solid.
Nanky
Journeyman

Here's currently the top 10 WRs in yardage this year:

1. 5'10"
2. 6'2"
3. 6'1"
4. 6'4"
5. 5'10"
6. 6'2"
7. 6'3"
8. 5'9"
9. 6'5"
10. 5'10"

My point is that height is many times not the best indicator of success for a WR.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:Here's currently the top 10 WRs in yardage this year:

1. 5'10"
2. 6'2"
3. 6'1"
4. 6'4"
5. 5'10"
6. 6'2"
7. 6'3"
8. 5'9"
9. 6'5"
10. 5'10"

My point is that height is many times not the best indicator of success for a WR.
Completely agree. But a lot of times those smallish receivers have large X receivers on the other side that draw coverage, or at least pose a threat. I think the Bears need a big go up and get it receiver first and foremost.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:But a lot of times those smallish receivers have large X receivers on the other side that draw coverage, or at least pose a threat. I think the Bears need a big go up and get it receiver first and foremost.

I am hoping Pace is working some behind the scenes secret magic to acquire one before the trade deadline. Tanner Gentry can go back to the practice squad to make room.

Barring that, we will have to hope the 6' 3" Dontrelle Inman is up to the challenge. I'm a little miffed he didn't at least have a cameo role in the Saints game.
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:But a lot of times those smallish receivers have large X receivers on the other side that draw coverage, or at least pose a threat. I think the Bears need a big go up and get it receiver first and foremost.

I am hoping Pace is working some behind the scenes secret magic to acquire one before the trade deadline. Tanner Gentry can go back to the practice squad to make room.

Barring that, we will have to hope the 6' 3" Dontrelle Inman is up to the challenge. I'm a little miffed he didn't at least have a cameo role in the Saints game.
No way. For starters he's only been with the team like 7 minutes. He's also still nursing a hammy issue...which is why he didn't play much in SD.

And I don't really want the bears frittering away more picks.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

No way. For starters he's only been with the team like 7 minutes. He's also still nursing a hammy issue...which is why he didn't play much in SD.

my mistake ... thought his hamstring issues were all better

so not only do the Bears have a receiving talent and depth issue, when they do trade in an effort to upgrade, they trade for a pre-injured receiver who cannot immediately step in to help them

that is just so fucking awesome ... or Bearsy as you would put it
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

my mistake ... thought his hamstring issues were all better

so not only do the Bears have a receiving talent and depth issue, when they do trade in an effort to upgrade, they trade for a pre-injured receiver who cannot immediately step in to help them

that is just so fucking awesome ... or Bearsy as you would put it
Look at it this way. The Bears bought a fixer-upper on the cheap. The Chargers didn't have room for him, and he had an injury issue. Pace swooped in and picked up a good player for the right price.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No trades, not for this team at this time. They are not playoff contenders and build this "new" team thru the draft.

As far as Inman, I am not so quick to say he is a "good player." He is a Bear now, the hammy issue will probably linger and they won't know what the hell they have.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Absurd.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Otis Day wrote:No trades, not for this team at this time. They are not playoff contenders and build this "new" team thru the draft.

As far as Inman, I am not so quick to say he is a "good player." He is a Bear now, the hammy issue will probably linger and they won't know what the hell they have.
I think his hamstring issues were earlier in the season. Could be wrong though.

I wouldn't call him "good." He is a competent NFL receiver though, which is a step up for us. I read an anonymous scout's take. He called him a team's 4th best receiver on a good team. Same scout also praised Gentry and said they should hang on to him, but thinks he needs until at least next season until he'll be ready to contribute.