Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Otis Day wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-mcbride/

Bears waive Tre McBride

Posted by Charean Williams on November 28, 2017, 4:14 PM EST

Mitchell Trubisky targeted Tre McBride six times in Sunday’s loss to the Eagles — Yes, the obvious question is: Why? — and McBride caught only two passes for 20 yards.

The Bears waived McBride on Tuesday.

Why he asked? Who the fuck else is he going to throw to you jagbag?
Here’s a little nugget from Sunday. Coincidence???

According to The Athletic's Kevin Fishbain, White made the trip to Philadelphia with the Bears for Sunday's game at Lincoln Financial Field. White is currently on injured reserve

I cannot stand Kevin White. I have been a Bears fan since I was a child during the Walter Payton days beginning with '84. I remember crying on the couch after we lost to the Redskins in '86 and the look on Payton's face.

I do not remember a 1st round pick as bad as Kevin White. I remember Enis, McNown, Benson, Stan Thomas, and the list goes on and I think White is the worst. I know it's subjective and I'm not expecting any of you to agree with me, but that's what I think.
It's hard to say a draft pick is bad when he's only played 5 games in 3 years.
Actually that's a perfectly good reason to say that a draft pick is bad.
I meant it as in he hasn't had the ability to show that he can or can't play. No one could have predicted 3 season ending injuries in a row. It's impossible to evaluate him as a bad player because he's been snake bitten 3 years straight.

Guys like Enis, McNown, Benson etc. were on the field and they showed that they just didn't have the talent to succeed at this level. Kevin White hasn't been afforded that opportunity unfortunately.
Never Die Easy
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Has there ever been another NFL player drafted high then consecutively injured for three years in a row AND THEN came back to become a playmaker for that team?
malk
Head Coach

ramentaschen wrote:Has there ever been another NFL player drafted high then consecutively injured for three years in a row AND THEN came back to become a playmaker for that team?
Not sure about playmaker but remember Marc Colombo?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
ramentaschen wrote:Has there ever been another NFL player drafted high then consecutively injured for three years in a row AND THEN came back to become a playmaker for that team?
Not sure about playmaker but remember Marc Colombo?

I do ... he was a perfect example of the dark cloud apparently hanging over the Bears franchise

a solid college player, looked good with the Bears in his limited action before blowing out his knee, never got healthy as a Bear and was released ... got healthy and became a solid player for the Cowboys

as to White, I don't think he will ever physically be able to stay in 1 piece long enough to be a contributor of any kind ... until he gets cut by the Bears and picked up by somebody else a year later
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Robbie Gould doing it again today// 5 of 5//
4/5 over 50..
And here he foes again..

AND///
Good as Gould..!

AGAIN !
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

docc wrote:Robbie Gould doing it again today// 5 of 5//
4/5 over 50..
And here he foes again..

AND///
Good as Gould..!

AGAIN !
Man I liked Robbie as much as anyone can like a kicker...but it was time for him to go when he did. Had some mental stuff going on where he was just bad. Glad he turned things around and wish him the best!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I have been thinking a little about this offseason (shocking right).

Some have talked about FAs desire (or lack of) to come to Chicago due to the state of the team. Honestly I couldn't blame them last season.

However, if Fox goes this could change the dynamics of the recruiting process quite a bit. If the Bears get a youngish respected coach, they have a good young core to work with. This could spark a little more interest from solid FAs looking for a team this offseason. I mean really, who the hell wanted to sign with a team that had Glennon penciled in as the starter. Now we have a young very talented backfield including the QB. Next season I don't expect the team completely turn things around. But I do expect upward movement and by the following year serious playoff contenders. This is what I hope the FAs out there can see.

I don't really know what that FA market is, but it should dictate who we draft. I think OL and WR are top priorities followed by a pass rusher. We NEED one of the 3 as a FA and we can take a shot in the draft with the other two. In a perfect world we can trade down a few spots and grab another pick in the process.
malk
Head Coach

46Blitz wrote:I have been thinking a little about this offseason (shocking right).

Some have talked about FAs desire (or lack of) to come to Chicago due to the state of the team. Honestly I couldn't blame them last season.

However, if Fox goes this could change the dynamics of the recruiting process quite a bit. If the Bears get a youngish respected coach, they have a good young core to work with. This could spark a little more interest from solid FAs looking for a team this offseason. I mean really, who the hell wanted to sign with a team that had Glennon penciled in as the starter. Now we have a young very talented backfield including the QB. Next season I don't expect the team completely turn things around. But I do expect upward movement and by the following year serious playoff contenders. This is what I hope the FAs out there can see.

I don't really know what that FA market is, but it should dictate who we draft. I think OL and WR are top priorities followed by a pass rusher. We NEED one of the 3 as a FA and we can take a shot in the draft with the other two. In a perfect world we can trade down a few spots and grab another pick in the process.
I just don't believe there was any real lack of desire to come to Chicago. It strikes me as much more likely that Pace didn't aggressively target anyone bar for Glennon. If you look back at Pace's FA history, Trevathan is the only top tier guy he's signed and even then ILB isn't a premium position.

Either way, a new coach and the emergence of Trubisky must make us a decent destination.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

GSH
MVP

glennon's gone at the end of this season too, right?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:glennon's gone at the end of this season too, right?
LOL

yes

Here are some likely cuts:
Released Mike Glennon
(Saved: $11,500,000)
Released Pernell McPhee
(Saved: $7,075,000)
Released Dion Sims
(Saved: $5,666,666)
Released Markus Wheaton
(Saved: $5,000,000)
Released Marcus Cooper
(Saved: $4,500,000)
Released Quintin Demps
(Saved: $3,666,666)
Released Willie Young
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
LOL

yes

Released Mike Glennon
Released Pernell McPhee
Released Dion Sims
Released Markus Wheaton
Released Marcus Cooper
Released Quintin Demps
Released Willie Young
I wouldn't be surprised to see Young, Demps and Wheaton stick around. I don't think we should keep them, outside of the massive deal to a bust they're the worst type of contract, but we've got cap space and holes on the roster so at least some will avoid the axe.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
LOL

yes

Released Mike Glennon
Released Pernell McPhee
Released Dion Sims
Released Markus Wheaton
Released Marcus Cooper
Released Quintin Demps
Released Willie Young
I wouldn't be surprised to see Young, Demps and Wheaton stick around. I don't think we should keep them, outside of the massive deal to a bust they're the worst type of contract, but we've got cap space and holes on the roster so at least some will avoid the axe.
I think it's an oversimplification to say "release" as those things will have to be roster managed. With both of our starting CBs being FAs, Cooper is going nowhere until we get 2 starting CBs under contract.

As far as Wheaton goes... yes, we'll get Meredith and White back. But he's really a slot guy and our goto slot guy this year... Wright... is a FA. I'm in with re-signing Wright, then cutting Wheaton loose. But that's not a given.

I agree that Sims is overpaid. But do we go into FA with just Shaheen and Brown on the roster? No way that happens.

Absolutely no way Willie Young goes anywhere, although Pernell McPhee almost has to go, opening up a clear need at OLB. Floyd, Young and... Acho? (FA) Houston? (FA) Howard Jones? (yuck) Isaiah Irving? (yuck) That's where we're at for pass rushers. I've seen it said that we need WRs and OL guys at the top of our list. For me, it's OLB.

And in my way of thinking, Demps is as obvious a cut as Glennon. He did zero for us.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

So..we use Who for backup QB next year..?
FA or what we have now.?
BR0D1E86
MVP

docc wrote:So..we use Who for backup QB next year..?
FA or what we have now.?
Pretty decent bet it’s Sanchez in another 1 year deal.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
docc wrote:So..we use Who for backup QB next year..?
FA or what we have now.?
Pretty decent bet it’s Sanchez in another 1 year deal.
That's what I'd do
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Just putting an idea out there, is drafting a QB on day two a bad idea to have a developmental backup?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Just putting an idea out there, is drafting a QB on day two a bad idea to have a developmental backup?

Logically no. Same breath it ain't happening
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Just putting an idea out there, is drafting a QB on day two a bad idea to have a developmental backup?
Once we've "arrived", sure. But we haven't. We need those R2 and R3 picks to fill our roster with better starters, not to invest in backups. There are enough Mark Sanchez/Brian Hoyer types available to buy backups in the short term.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:

Logically no. Same breath it ain't happening
More likely to be an UDFA or two pickup for camp arms and practice squad.
RunningVaccs
Rookie

Hullo all, here to make inane comments and ask obvious questions.

Anyway, I think everyone agress Pace's record is mixed. His drafts I would say are good, with each year looking better than the last. FA is on the bad side; for every Hicks or Trevathan there are a handful of McDonalds and Glennons. The biggest knocks on him are waiting 3 years to get his QB, and sticking with Fox after last year. Overall I think his drafting, combined with the likelihood that Fox was not his first pick (and perhaps ownership pushed to keep him last year) and I think he deserves to stay. Conservative ownership of the McCaskey's only makes this more likely in my mind.
RunningVaccs
Rookie

Mikefive wrote:
Once we've "arrived", sure. But we haven't. We need those R2 and R3 picks to fill our roster with better starters, not to invest in backups. There are enough Mark Sanchez/Brian Hoyer types available to buy backups in the short term.

If a prospect really dropped, would you be OK with taking someone like Mayfield or Darnold if they somehow made it to the Bears pick in rd 2? It would be hard to pass up but harder to take in my mind. Too many holes on the roster, and you'd be stuck with a likely QB controversy. What could you unload someone like that for in a trade down the line anyway?
Adipost
MVP

RunningVaccs wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

If a prospect really dropped, would you be OK with taking someone like Mayfield or Darnold if they somehow made it to the Bears pick in rd 2? It would be hard to pass up but harder to take in my mind. Too many holes on the roster, and you'd be stuck with a likely QB controversy. What could you unload someone like that for in a trade down the line anyway?
No
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RunningVaccs wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I think you hit on the answer with two words bolded above. TRADE DOWN. Somebody may really like/need a QB at our pick and trade their 2 and a 2 next year or something like that to move up. In this mock says Buffalo has 48 and 60. That's a bit steep, but if you need a QB and didn't get one in R1....

We've needed more picks and have been trading up a lot in R1. Might be time to trade back for more, especially with a new HC who wants his guys.

BR0D1E86
MVP

The Bears kept the conditional Inman pick. They got it if he caught 25 passes. He caught 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:The Bears kept the conditional Inman pick. They got it if he caught 25 passes. He caught 23.

Really???
Wow.
Pace really got some favorable terms on that one.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Moriarty wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:The Bears kept the conditional Inman pick. They got it if he caught 25 passes. He caught 23.

Really???
Wow.
Yeah, it’s in this article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... ssion=true
MoFugger
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

Really???
Wow.
Yeah, it’s in this article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... ssion=true
That was like, our first or second best wide receiver.
Let's all think about that for a moment

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Brad Biggs @BradBiggs 16minutes ago

#Bears signed WR Tanner Gentry to a reserve/future contract.

i assume we're locking him up so we can interview him for the head coach vacancy.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Rich Campbell @Rich_Campbell

Locker cleanout day at Halas Hall allows us to chat with injured Bears who haven’t spoken publicly.
OLB Leonard Floyd (right knee) says he’s unsure whether he’ll be recovered for the offseason program in April.
WR Cam Meredith (left knee) says he’ll be back for training camp.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Chris Emma @CEmma670

Kyle Fuller is planning to speak soon with his family and agent about free agency. Said he’s happy in Chicago and would be open to re-joining the Bears.