Roster Moves

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
mshu7 wrote:Just heard on ESPN 1000 that the Colts asking price is a 1st.
Absurd.
They were asking for a first for Brady's backup, he just went for a 2nd today. (Which will be like a late first). Lol
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:I'm not opposed to making a trade for a WR as long as he's part of the future plans. Might be good for MT and the acquired player to get some time together this year. That being said, I would not give up 1st or 2nd for Hilton at this point.
Well put. Why would we give up a big pick--especially when we should be picking in the top half--for a guy in the twilight of his career? That would make no sense whatsoever.

Why do the Colts want to trade a player for a draft pick? Because they have too many needs and need to rebuild. But wait! That's what we're doing. So why would we do the opposite of what they are?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Nanky wrote:I'm not opposed to making a trade for a WR as long as he's part of the future plans. Might be good for MT and the acquired player to get some time together this year. That being said, I would not give up 1st or 2nd for Hilton at this point.
Well put. Why would we give up a big pick--especially when we should be picking in the top half--for a guy in the twilight of his career? That would make no sense whatsoever.

Why do the Colts want to trade a player for a draft pick? Because they have too many needs and need to rebuild. But wait! That's what we're doing. So why would we do the opposite of what they are?
I think he's 27, which isn't really the twilight of his career. A first is still not going to happen though, I don't think.

I certainly wouldn't trade ours.
Adipost
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Absurd.
It’s not absurd at all. I thought they would ask for AT LEAST a first round pick for TY Hilton, and he’s probably worth it. If you were to construct a WR specifically for Trubisky and his skill set, it would be TY Hilton. And his contract is pretty much the same one they offered Jeffery. If Pace could somehow get him for a 2nd and a future pick, GM of the year. Hilton would immediately and dramatically elevate every player on offense.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
Absurd.
It’s not absurd at all. I thought they would ask for AT LEAST a first round pick for TY Hilton, and he’s probably worth it. If you were to construct a WR specifically for Trubisky and his skill set, it would be TY Hilton. And his contract is pretty much the same one they offered Jeffery. If Pace could somehow get him for a 2nd and a future pick, GM of the year. Hilton would immediately and dramatically elevate every player on offense.
For a 2nd? Why not.... Picks are a crap shoot to begin with. If you can get a guaranteed player for that, why not? It's not like your trying to get a security blanket for a Rookie QB that has zero options to throw to... or is it just like it?

Yeah, a 1st is a little too steep. But our 2nd is like a late 1st (or that's the way it could be played).

The thing is, I would have no problem giving up a pick to get a solid WR in here right now. It's not about the "prospects" in the draft. It's about getting someone in here for Trubisky to work with. He is the future for awhile now. It will only help him in his progress to have an option he can trust. It doesn't have to be Hilton. But someone that can help a brother out.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Adipost wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
Absurd.
A guy viewed as a young franchise quarterback just went for a second. A guy viewed as a young upper echelon starting running back just went for a 4th.

I'd trade for Hilton. But a first would be a bad move. Even if the production would justify it, and based on his career it probably would, it's so out of step with the market so severely that it would be a terrible overpay.
beardownbilly
Journeyman

Kelvin Benjamin went for a 4th and 7th, not bad value at that price. Not sure of his contract status.

Maybe Wheaton gets fit after the bye and after listening to Fox, they may try to get White back active before the end of the year. A lot of maybe's there but I guess that sums up the Bears right now.

Edit: Was a 3rd and 7th. Sometimes the fantasy gm in us all wants that big splash at trade deadline day, the hope that it changes the trajectory of a franchise when it rarely does. I guess that’s why we aren’t gm's, it's a nice thought to add Bryant, Moncrief, Benjamin or whoever and see what Mitch can do with some weapons but I guess he's still playing Fox-ball no matter who he's throwing to. We need some creativity in the play calling as well as playmakers.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

beardownbilly wrote:Kelvin Benjamin went for a 4th and 7th, not bad value at that price. Not sure of his contract status.

Maybe Wheaton gets fit after the bye and after listening to Fox, they may try to get White back active before the end of the year. A lot of maybe's there but I guess that sums up the Bears right now.

Edit: Was a 3rd and 7th. Sometimes the fantasy gm in us all wants that big splash at trade deadline day, the hope that it changes the trajectory of a franchise when it rarely does. I guess that’s why we aren’t gm's, it's a nice thought to add Bryant, Moncrief, Benjamin or whoever and see what Mitch can do with some weapons but I guess he's still playing Fox-ball no matter who he's throwing to. We need some creativity in the play calling as well as playmakers.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wheaton's injury is suckitis. The Bears are so bad he doesn't want to go out and risk injury for a bunch of yahoos. Maybe the introduction of Inman will coax him off the sidelines.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wasn't Wheaton perpetually hurt in Pittsburgh too?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Wasn't Wheaton perpetually hurt in Pittsburgh too?
he fucked his shoulder up pretty good last year with a torn labrum? and then broken finger back the year he was drafted, so kind of.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I think he's 27, which isn't really the twilight of his career. A first is still not going to happen though, I don't think.

I certainly wouldn't trade ours.
Jeez. I thought he was a lot older than that. Point taken. He does turn 28 in 2 weeks.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
Absurd.
But they didn't have to give away a 1st or 2nd round pick AND the money to get Jeffery. Or put another way, if you're talking just a 2nd rounder, you're giving up Eddie Goldman, Cody Whitehair or Adam Shaheen in order to pay Hilton the big bucks. (And that doesn't consider a 1st rounder or a future pick with the #2.) I don't see how you don't get the difference in cost there.

beardownbilly
Journeyman

I have to admit I am a bit jealous of the Bills move for Kelvin Benjamin, he is a possible legit WR1, 26 years old, 6.5", runs good routes, gets open and makes agile catches.

I know he will need paid but if we could have gotten him, even if we had to give up both 4th round draft picks we could have had Benjamin, Kendall Wright, Dontrelle Inman and Tre McBride with Wheaton, White and Meredith to come back from injury. All of a sudden WR doesn't look like such a weakness, especially with Cohen splitting out wide to create matchup problems.

We would still have had our 1st and 2nd round picks to add Edge Rushers, OL or DB depending on FA etc.

I really think it would have shown we have confidence in Mitch as well, shown him that the FO feels they let him down with a lack of pass options and gave him a boost for the last 8 games of the season.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I.R. Zachy and bring up Bronk. Sounds good to me.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

beardownbilly wrote:I have to admit I am a bit jealous of the Bills move for Kelvin Benjamin, he is a possible legit WR1, 26 years old, 6.5", runs good routes, gets open and makes agile catches.

I know he will need paid but if we could have gotten him, even if we had to give up both 4th round draft picks we could have had Benjamin, Kendall Wright, Dontrelle Inman and Tre McBride with Wheaton, White and Meredith to come back from injury. All of a sudden WR doesn't look like such a weakness, especially with Cohen splitting out wide to create matchup problems.

We would still have had our 1st and 2nd round picks to add Edge Rushers, OL or DB depending on FA etc.

I really think it would have shown we have confidence in Mitch as well, shown him that the FO feels they let him down with a lack of pass options and gave him a boost for the last 8 games of the season.
That sounds so much better than Jarvis Landry for a 1 or 2.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

is there a reason Zach Miller has not been placed on IR yet? I would think the team realizes he isn't going to be back playing any time soon

I'm just curious who will be brought in the take Millers active spot
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mshu7
Pro Bowler

It's a John Fox strategy. This way he can throw the Packers off their plan of attack when he puts Miller on IR to promote a PS scrub at the last minute. I believe tomorrow is the day they will need to make a move.

Seriously, this is classic John Fox.
-Shu
UOK
Site Admin

TE Ben Braunecker promoted to active roster.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Logical on some level. But not exciting at all. We couldn't go with 3 TEs?

G08
Hall of Famer

Daniel Brown played a lot of special teams, I'm sure Braunecker is coming up to help fulfill that role (as well as provide another TE, obviously).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:TE Ben Braunecker promoted to active roster.
:sick:
Keeping 4 made some sense, given Brown would likely be stolen off PS.
But Braunecker is clearly safe there. And no one needs 4 healthy TEs.

How is this more of a priority than, say, a OLman who doesn't look like he's wearing a Mummy Halloween costume?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:

How is this more of a priority than, say, a OLman who doesn't look like he's wearing a Mummy Halloween costume?

I'm cynical enough to think the Bears simply forgot that just because a TE is who went to IR doesn't mean a TE has to be brought in to replace him :frustrated:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I think it's more that we like to use a lot of 2 TEs. That helps the run game, can help with pass blocking and give options for deception when those guys go out for passes like the Miller TD/non-TD play.

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm thinking they are better receivers then our current crop of WRs so makes sense to add more TEs
Wounded Bear
MVP

Moriarty wrote:

When they put the initial roster together I thought that they went light on both offensive and defensive linemen. I don't understand that at all.

And one more thing, Pace is a fool if he doesn't go strong on offensive line picks next draft. We always seem to be injury plagued on the oline and I don't want Trubisky to be running scared back there.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
sturf
Journeyman

Wounded Bear wrote:When they put the initial roster together I thought that they went light on both offensive and defensive linemen. I don't understand that at all.

And one more thing, Pace is a fool if he doesn't go strong on offensive line picks next draft. We always seem to be injury plagued on the oline and I don't want Trubisky to be running scared back there.
They had the standard 8 OL, and all 8 had at least some NFL starting experience. Only 7 are active during games so there is little reason to have the 9th guy on the 46 instead of the practice squad. They are a 3-4 team and they had the standard 5 DL, which makes them 2 deep considering there are effectively 2.5 starting positions because of how little base defense is played. They had Jenkins on the practice squad if Goldman got hurt. Who else deserved to make the roster on either line?

I'm sure Pace will be looking for opportunities draft an offensive tackle, but I don't see this need to draft OL multiple OL. They have all 5 starters still under contract next year along with Grasu and Morgan coming off his redshirt rookie year.
Wounded Bear
MVP

sturf wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:When they put the initial roster together I thought that they went light on both offensive and defensive linemen. I don't understand that at all.

They had the standard 8 OL, and all 8 had at least some NFL starting experience. Only 7 are active during games so there is little reason to have the 9th guy on the 46 instead of the practice squad. They are a 3-4 team and they had the standard 5 DL, which makes them 2 deep considering there are effectively 2.5 starting positions because of how little base defense is played. They had Jenkins on the practice squad if Goldman got hurt. Who else deserved to make the roster on either line?
Well for one, I would have more than gladly went with Jaye Howard on the D-line over any of our 6 wideouts, especially if you take into consideration Eddie Goldman's injury past. Jaye Howard would be far more impactful than a Tanner Gentry or a Markus Wheaton (or just pick any receiver on our roster).
sturf wrote:[I'm sure Pace will be looking for opportunities draft an offensive tackle, but I don't see this need to draft OL multiple OL. They have all 5 starters still under contract next year along with Grasu and Morgan coming off his redshirt rookie year.
That's great that we have all 5 starters under contract next year, but our starters are having a hard time staying healthy, not to mention our Offensive Line is going to be pretty old next year. Josh Sitton will be 32, Kyle Long will be 29, Bobby Massie will be 29, Tom Compton will be 29, Bradley Sowell will be 29 and Hroniss Grasu might as well be 50 because he's always hurt. To demonstrate the problems with injuries on the offensive line let's look at the Center position. So far this year, we have had Hroniss Grasu playing Center, Bradley Sowell playing Center, Cody Whitehair playing Center, and Josh Sitton has played Center as well. So I don't have near the confidence in those guys as you do since this is very much a sport where age matters.

Pace had better embrace a youth movement in regards to our offensive line and attack it either through FA or the Draft because that oline, as a unit, is not long for this world and we have a brand new QB who I don't want to see running scared like Jay Cutler did for the for 6 seasons with the Bears.

So if we are to be proactive, which we should be if we really want to protect our young QB, I see multiple holes that need to be addressed and that requires multiple FA moves or multiple draft picks in regards to the OL. If we want Mitch Trubisky to get beat up and develop Jay Cutler style PTSD, we should turn a blind eye to this situation and understand that we are poised to repeat the sins of our past.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
sturf wrote:

Well for one, I would have more than gladly went with Jaye Howard on the D-line over any of our 6 wideouts, especially if you take into consideration Eddie Goldman's injury past. Jaye Howard would be far more impactful than a Tanner Gentry or a Markus Wheaton (or just pick any receiver on our roster).
sturf wrote:[I'm sure Pace will be looking for opportunities draft an offensive tackle, but I don't see this need to draft OL multiple OL. They have all 5 starters still under contract next year along with Grasu and Morgan coming off his redshirt rookie year.
That's great that we have all 5 starters under contract next year, but our starters are having a hard time staying healthy, not to mention our Offensive Line is going to be pretty old next year. Josh Sitton will be 32, Kyle Long will be 29, Bobby Massie will be 29, Tom Compton will be 29, Bradley Sowell will be 29 and Hroniss Grasu might as well be 50 because he's always hurt. To demonstrate the problems with injuries on the offensive line let's look at the Center position. So far this year, we have had Hroniss Grasu playing Center, Bradley Sowell playing Center, Cody Whitehair playing Center, and Josh Sitton has played Center as well. So I don't have near the confidence in those guys as you do since this is very much a sport where age matters.

Pace had better embrace a youth movement in regards to our offensive line and attack it either through FA or the Draft because that oline, as a unit, is not long for this world and we have a brand new QB who I don't want to see running scared like Jay Cutler did for the for 6 seasons with the Bears.

So if we are to be proactive, which we should be if we really want to protect our young QB, I see multiple holes that need to be addressed and that requires multiple FA moves or multiple draft picks in regards to the OL. If we want Mitch Trubisky to get beat up and develop Jay Cutler style PTSD, we should turn a blind eye to this situation and understand that we are poised to repeat the sins of our past.
I pretty much agree with you on Jaye Howard. I was shocked when he didn't make the cut.

The way I look at the OL, 29-years old isn't old. I don't start thinking old until they get to about 32-33. It's not like these guys take the punishment a RB takes or are required to maintain the speed like skill players. That said, since a bunch of those guys are the same age, it would be foolish to wait until 3 years from now to start backfilling. Of course, we did draft a guy whose on IR now and may develop into a player. Unknown at this point though.

I just see gaping holes at WR and CB coming up and we need to jump on those first.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

jaye howard's had tryouts with like half the teams in the league since we cut him and no one has signed him. it's probably time to stop thinking we should have kept him.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

WR and OL is 1a and 1b imo.... whoever they like better.

I don't want to see a "project" player regardless. I don't care what position on the line, but I would like to see a stud Center or OT.

A lot can happen between then and now though. If Inman shows a little something, we have Meredith coming back. It might allow to wait till 2nd round for a WR. But still, just so many things can change by then. But I wouldn't be upset at all if we went OL, makes tons of sense.