Roster Moves

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

Not sure of the new topic rule around here, but I don't know that every end of the roster move needs its own thread. If I'm wrong lock this up I guess.

Anyway, Timu to active roster, Tre McBride waived.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I guess there's a reason that McBride got cut initially. A real shame as the guy had every chance to step in and contribute. I sure do like Timu being active, particularly against a running team like the Steelers. Jones was OK, but I was non-plussed by Anderson.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

"Wide Receivers? Where we're going we don't need Wide Receivers."
UOK
Site Admin

BR0D1E86 wrote:Not sure of the new topic rule around here, but I don't know that every end of the roster move needs its own thread. If I'm wrong lock this up I guess.

Anyway, Timu to active roster, Tre McBride waived.

No worries dude. If you don't see it posted, post it!

Also I'm surprised at the McBride dumping. I thought they had higher hopes for him, especially considering the weakness of depth.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Had to cut someone to cover for injuries.

I'm shocked they didn't add an OL, too, Long (supposedly) coming back or not.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:Image
"Wide Receivers? Where we're going we don't need Wide Receivers."
Bullseye, His Royal Sweeetness!

We need more running backs who run crisp routes and have good hands, throw a decent pass when it suits us, break a tackle and run like a deer on a shitty grass field.

:toast:

A good stiff-arm is gravy.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
UOK
Site Admin

@BradBiggs
#Bears also signed WR Tre McBride to practice squad and released OL D.J. Tialavea from PS.
G08
Hall of Famer

dan durkin‏Verified account @djdurkin 2m2 minutes ago
More
#Bears signed DB Doran Grant and WR Tre McBride to the practice squad and released OL D.J. Tialavea.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

Tre McBride to active roster. Bears sign a LB/SS to the PS.

@patrickfinley
7m
#Bears sign former Utah LB Jason Thompson for the p-squad, make the Tre McBride-to-the-53-man-roster move official
GSH
MVP

could someone better informed than myself chime in with a summary on Mcbride? Any good?
G08
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:could someone better informed than myself chime in with a summary on Mcbride? Any good?
He's interesting... attacks the ball well in the air, timed at 4.41 in the dash but reports are that he doesn't seem to play that fast on tape. I want to say I read that he's a super intelligent kid. Haven't seen too much tape of him but I think he's intriguing.

I'm pretty sure Trubisky has been throwing the ball to him when running the practice squad, but that's conjecture.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
GSH wrote:could someone better informed than myself chime in with a summary on Mcbride? Any good?
He's interesting... attacks the ball well in the air, timed at 4.41 in the dash but reports are that he doesn't seem to play that fast on tape. I want to say I read that he's a super intelligent kid. Haven't seen too much tape of him but I think he's intriguing.

I'm pretty sure Trubisky has been throwing the ball to him when running the practice squad, but that's conjecture.
He's been sitting on the Titans practice squad for 2 years. Don't get your hopes up.
Wounded Bear
MVP

UOK wrote:@BradBiggs
#Bears also signed WR Tre McBride to practice squad and released OL D.J. Tialavea from PS.
Didn't you post a rumor about him about a month ago? Whoever your source is, he (or she or he/she) is privy to the inner rumblings of Halas Hall.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Interesting that in the preseason Gentry was the one WR that formed a connection with Trubisky. He knows the offense as well as any practice squad receiver since he's been here from rookie minicamps, made plays in TC and in preseason yet he still gets the shaft from the Bears coaches. They must know something about Gentry that we don't because McBride has been in the league for a while and hasn't shown much.
Never Die Easy
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Interesting that in the preseason Gentry was the one WR that formed a connection with Trubisky. He knows the offense as well as any practice squad receiver since he's been here from rookie minicamps, made plays in TC and in preseason yet he still gets the shaft from the Bears coaches. They must know something about Gentry that we don't because McBride has been in the league for a while and hasn't shown much.
Gentry has one route, that's the 9. And that's about it.
docc
Head Coach

So did many WRs..
Willie Gault for instance. Routes can be taught..speed kills sometimes..
Gentry is worth a try//
DaSuperfan wrote:Interesting that in the preseason Gentry was the one WR that formed a connection with Trubisky. He knows the offense as well as any practice squad receiver since he's been here from rookie minicamps, made plays in TC and in preseason yet he still gets the shaft from the Bears coaches. They must know something about Gentry that we don't because McBride has been in the league for a while and hasn't shown much.
Agreed
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
And Bellamy has feet for hands but runs great routes, so there is that.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hard to believe that peeps think they know better than coaches and personnel staff regarding Gentry. They see the dude everyday and they think he is not all that (hence cut twice and not picked up by anyone else).

I trust their judgement.
docc
Head Coach

,,they also started Glennon for 4 weeks..

There was no need for Gentry IF Glennon is the QB..
Maybe a place for him with Mitch as in preseason..
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Otis Day wrote:Hard to believe that peeps think they know better than coaches and personnel staff regarding Gentry. They see the dude everyday and they think he is not all that (hence cut twice and not picked up by anyone else).

I trust their judgement.
Think you are giving the coaches a little too much rope.

Guess it's a wait and see thing. I would like to see what Gentry has to offer, but we will see what Trubisky can do with these WRs when he is in. If a few of them struggle with drops etc, I'm am sure they will give Gentry a shot. Pretty sure Gentry and Trubisky developed some chemistry together, and that goes a long way. I'm never sold on pure skills, speed, size and everything else places on WRs. Some just have to "get" the position. Know how to get open and catch it when the ball shows up. We shall see, but it can be ironed out now since Trubisky is in.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Hard to believe that peeps think they know better than coaches and personnel staff regarding Gentry. They see the dude everyday and they think he is not all that (hence cut twice and not picked up by anyone else).

I trust their judgement.
docc wrote:,,they also started Glennon for 4 weeks..

There was no need for Gentry IF Glennon is the QB..
Maybe a place for him with Mitch as in preseason..
I see a nice point-counterpoint discussion in the making ...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

The Tanner Gentry nonsense needs to stop... lol

I'm not saying the guy cannot wind-up being a serviceable receiver. However, in my lifetime, there has been a number of "Tanner Gentry" type of WR's who made a name for themselves late in pre-season games... and I can't remember one of them ever contributing much to the team when it mattered.

Put it this way, the guy's not the answer to all of our WR problems. His ceiling is probably being a nice depth option.

About a decade ago... "Tanner Gentry" used to go by the name of "Brandon Rideau". ;)
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:The Tanner Gentry nonsense needs to stop... lol

I'm not saying the guy cannot wind-up being a serviceable receiver. However, in my lifetime, there has been a number of "Tanner Gentry" type of WR's who made a name for themselves late in pre-season games... and I can't remember one of them ever contributing much to the team when it mattered.

Put it this way, the guy's not the answer to all of our WR problems. His ceiling is probably being a nice depth option.

About a decade ago... "Tanner Gentry" used to go by the name of "Brandon Rideau". ;)
Mike Haas
David Ball
Dane Sanzenbacher
Daniel Braverman

The Legend Continues... :lol:

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:

Mike Haas
David Ball
Dane Sanzenbacher
Daniel Braverman

Two things:

1. Of the guys you listed only Haas is really comparable - Dane and Daniel are/were undersized and Ball was making the jump from I-AA and ran a 4.7. Gentry has legit NFL WR size and speed (4.46).

2. It would be different if it was just fans talking about him - but Gentry had PFF and several of the Bears beat guys impressed during camp. Hell, PFF listed him as a possible starter (probably says more about the rest of the WR depth chart, but whatever).

That said - he has cleared waivers twice so he's clearly not high on any other teams list.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote:

Mike Haas
David Ball
Dane Sanzenbacher
Daniel Braverman

Two things:

1. Of the guys you listed only Haas is really comparable - Dane and Daniel are/were undersized and Ball was making the jump from I-AA and ran a 4.7. Gentry has legit NFL WR size and speed (4.46).

2. It would be different if it was just fans talking about him - but Gentry had PFF and several of the Bears beat guys impressed during camp. Hell, PFF listed him as a possible starter (probably says more about the rest of the WR depth chart, but whatever).

That said - he has cleared waivers twice so he's clearly not high on any other teams list.
I like the kid, I just think he has a lot to work on at this point in time.

Where did you see this 4.46 time for his dash -- I've seen others mention it as well. I've got his Pro Day splits as:

1.68/2.68/4.58

The rest...
6'1" 208 lbs
38" vert
10'03" broad
4.43 shuttle
7.29 cone

ZiggyXT
Practice Squad

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-9-wyoming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This has him listed as 4.53 and 4.56 on his pro day. Still pretty good though and he does seem to have "pads on" speed from the little we have seen.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote:

Mike Haas
David Ball
Dane Sanzenbacher
Daniel Braverman

Two things:

Where did you see this 4.46 time for his dash -- I've seen others mention it as well. I've got his Pro Day splits as:

1.68/2.68/4.58

The rest...
6'1" 208 lbs
38" vert
10'03" broad
4.43 shuttle
7.29 cone
whatever his 40 time, I think I'd rather see him on the field as a receiver option than Hands-Like-Feet Bellamy

plus, I think Trubisky can find him

[video][/video]
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I like the idea of Wheaton/Thompson/Wright going deep

4.45/4.31/4.42 got some legit speed to play around with, if Loggains is given the green light

Adipost
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote:

Mike Haas
David Ball
Dane Sanzenbacher
Daniel Braverman

Two things:

1.68/2.68/4.58

The rest...
6'1" 208 lbs
38" vert
10'03" broad
4.43 shuttle
7.29 cone
whatever his 40 time, I think I'd rather see him on the field as a receiver option than Hands-Like-Feet Bellamy

plus, I think Trubisky can find him

[video][/video]
Yep, at least he can catch...

www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11621&start=20#p177852
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I trust their judgement.
I mean I did say "The Bears coaches must know something that we don't." The point I was trying to make was from the outside looking in, it seems interesting that they wouldn't promote Gentry over McBride, given that McBride was acquired a couple of days after the 53 man roster was announced. Gentry has been here longer and it seemed like he and Trubisky had some chemistry. I just thought it would make more sense to have Gentry over McBride for the simple reason that he has a connection with Trubisky and has worked with him since rookie minicamps. They just have more of a comfort level, IMO.

Also, McBride has been pretty ordinary in the NFL, he doesn't really resemble any of his college tape - I just don't see a ton of upside to him. JMHO.
Never Die Easy