UPDATED: Danny Trevathan suspension reduced to one game

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Pretty sure most of you saw this coming, but...

Suspension reduced to 1 game.
Richie
MVP

Should be 0...

But I'll take it. Minnesota's run game without Cook probably shouldn't slice and dice anybody. We can probably get by for a game.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Was there any official word on how long Kwiatkowski is actually out for? So is it going to be Christian Jones and Timu starting on Monday Night?
Never Die Easy
Richie
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:Was there any official word on how long Kwiatkowski is actually out for? So is it going to be Christian Jones and Timu starting on Monday Night?
This was the report immediately following the injury, and is still the latest Rotoworld update.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Bears ILB Nick Kwiatkoski (pectoral) may miss "just a few weeks."
Kwiatkoski's torn pectoral was expected to be a season-ending injury but coach John Fox said the team has yet to make a final determination. Rapsheet conceded Kwiatkoski will "definitely miss time," though there's growing optimism he'll only be sidelined for a handful of games.

So, I would certainly bet on Timu/Jones. However, maybe there's some fragment of an outside shot they try to get him ready? 3 weeks doesn't seem plausible though.

My guess? He'll be back somewhere around the bye. Just before or after. Probably after.

Jones isn't Trevathan, but I don't seem to remember him being a liability either. Timu/Jones BOTH in there is rough though.

On the bright side, the Vikings just lost Cook for the year. Which is a blow to the run game that they'll be defending.

We need a big game from the boys up front.
wab
Mod

I imagine they'll play Acho inside a lot on run downs.
Funkster
MVP

Jon Gruden thought "Danny Trevathan made a great play".

“I don’t want to see anybody get hurt,” Gruden said. “It was a vicious hit, but not to be politically correct, you’re supposed to run to the ball. We used to tell our receivers, if you want to run an inside breaking route, if you want to fight for yardage after the catch, you better be careful because these defensive players, they’re on the hunt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -play/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
jamus34
Journeyman

Bumping this one - Trevathan, who most will say is a stand-up guy and is NOT a cheap-shot artist, gets 2 games for his shot on Freeman (yes I know it was appealed to a 1 game suspension)

Alonso - Who absolutely was diving with intent to injure on Thursday vs Baltimore...does not get suspended.

Oh, and also on that Thursday game Suh choke-throws Mallet and another Miami defensive player openly pokes an O-lineman in the eye.

And this is on top of the many times guys like Shazier lead with the helmet...constantly.

Just one of the many reasons I've lost the love of the came...extremely inconsistent discipline.

"We'll fine a guy $200k for wearing the wrong sponsors gear, but if he head-shots someone that's only 20k"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Trevathon and Alonso hits were different IMO. The difference is Danny hit the guy when he had no clue he was going to get popped and the hit was worse. Alonso was running full speed at Flacco who started going down, but wasn't really a slide until Alonso had no ability to pull up. A good analogy for Flacco is the returner who signals late, but gets rocked and draws a penalty...QB's need to allow for guys to pull up if they don't want to get rocked going down late in their slide.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:The Trevathon and Alonso hits were different IMO. The difference is Danny hit the guy when he had no clue he was going to get popped and the hit was worse. Alonso was running full speed at Flacco who started going down, but wasn't really a slide until Alonso had no ability to pull up. A good analogy for Flacco is the returner who signals late, but gets rocked and draws a penalty...QB's need to allow for guys to pull up if they don't want to get rocked going down late in their slide.
I completely agree with you. In my view, the Alonso hit should've been fine. People will say... "He hit him in the head!"... But Alonso was aiming for the chest. He can't help that Flacco sat down with his body 90 degrees straight up after Alonso was in the air. If Flacco used his brain to be self preserving, he would've responded to Alonso flying at him by kinda laying backward. It's conceivable if unlikely that Flacco was trying to draw a flag there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I guess I'm not seeing the Alonso hit the same as some of you

yes, Alonso was running full speed at Flacco, but in order to hit Flacco the way he did he needed to dive to get low to hit him

in my view, that dive down towards the sliding Flacco was what made it a dirty hit ... if he was running the same speed at Flacco and remained upright his momentum would have carried him past Flacco, not down into him

once a QB starts to slide feet first, he is down at that point ... so it is up to defenders to know that and to not dive down at them

I think the hit could have been avoided ... I think the forearm to the head that dislodged Flacco's helmet could have been avoided ... the fact Alonso was not suspended has more to do with the NFL front office not having a uniform policy on punishments than anything else ... in a league where a player with a uniform wearing violation can be fined more than a player cheap-shotting someone, the priorities all seem to be off and the stated "concern for player safety" nothing more than mealy mouthed bullshit
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I guess I'm not seeing the Alonso hit the same as some of you

yes, Alonso was running full speed at Flacco, but in order to hit Flacco the way he did he needed to dive to get low to hit him

in my view, that dive down towards the sliding Flacco was what made it a dirty hit ... if he was running the same speed at Flacco and remained upright his momentum would have carried him past Flacco, not down into him

once a QB starts to slide feet first, he is down at that point ... so it is up to defenders to know that and to not dive down at them

I think the hit could have been avoided ... I think the forearm to the head that dislodged Flacco's helmet could have been avoided ... the fact Alonso was not suspended has more to do with the NFL front office not having a uniform policy on punishments than anything else ... in a league where a player with a uniform wearing violation can be fined more than a player cheap-shotting someone, the priorities all seem to be off and the stated "concern for player safety" nothing more than mealy mouthed bullshit
The thing is, the dive started BEFORE Flacco sat down. And the wording of the rule even alludes to that. If the QB sits without giving the defender enough time to back off, then the defender can't be penalized for that. That was clearly the case here and the fact that the NFL didn't suspend him strongly suggests that the NFL office agrees with me on this one.

A defender has to commit to going for the tackle at some point. Your analysis ignores that there's no certainty that Flacco was going to give himself up. He just did so too late.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:

The thing is, the dive started BEFORE Flacco sat down. And the wording of the rule even alludes to that. If the QB sits without giving the defender enough time to back off, then the defender can't be penalized for that. That was clearly the case here and the fact that the NFL didn't suspend him strongly suggests that the NFL office agrees with me on this one.

A defender has to commit to going for the tackle at some point. Your analysis ignores that there's no certainty that Flacco was going to give himself up. He just did so too late.

my analysis was the defender should have been attacking Flacco as if he was going to remain upright ... hit him in the chest with your shoulder to make a hard clean tackle ... then if he slides and you go over him, no biggie because he's down without a need for a tackle

in your scenario Alonso was already diving to tackle Flacco, which means hitting him low at the knees if Flacco had remained upright ... and isn't there yet another protect-the-QB rule that makes that illegal? or is that just when a QB is in the pocket?
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

my analysis was the defender should have been attacking Flacco as if he was going to remain upright ... hit him in the chest with your shoulder to make a hard clean tackle ... then if he slides and you go over him, no biggie because he's down without a need for a tackle

in your scenario Alonso was already diving to tackle Flacco, which means hitting him low at the knees if Flacco had remained upright ... and isn't there yet another protect-the-QB rule that makes that illegal? or is that just when a QB is in the pocket?
Once he leaves the pocket the quarterback becomes a runner and you can hit him as you would anyone else.
Funkster
MVP

IMO, the slide should be taken out of football. It puts both the slider and defender in a dangerous position. Also, if you have a helmet on and are on the field of play, no one player should get special treatment. I think these type of football bang bang plays are part of a fast, violent game. If the league is going to try and regulate these plays, it will change the game of football and not for the better.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:If the league is going to try and regulate these plays, it will change the game of football and not for the better.
they are already doing just that with their broken replay system
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Objecting to where Alonso aimed takes out the factors of speed, timing and instinct. It's nice to sit on your couch and say that "he should have aimed..."

These guys move very fast and have to commit to their action seconds before they make contact. Flacco's "slide" could have been a duck when Alonso made his commitment to hit him. Flacco's feet were under him not in front to signify a slide. Flacco wasn't on the ground either.

Appreciate that these defenders are being trained to hit, and have to make decisions in a very narrow window due to their own athleticism and the decisions of their opponents.

I said this in another discussion...Football is still a violent sport, that is still played by violent people, often resulting with violent outcomes. It might not be for everyone to play or watch. Yes there are rules in place to help protect players from getting seriously injured. But those rules don't guarantee player safety.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
jamus34
Journeyman

One more comment and I'm done with this thread...

After the Green / Ramsey fight (which is still BS Ramsey got ejected) and Mike Evans cold-cocking Lattimore and only get's one game does anyone still think that Trevethon's 2 game suspension just?

League office needs to get the hell outta the discipline game. They constantly fudge it up and make themselves look stoopid.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Is it still Merton Henks determining the penalties? Regardless there's no consistency in any penalty from the NFL.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:IMO, the slide should be taken out of football. It puts both the slider and defender in a dangerous position. Also, if you have a helmet on and are on the field of play, no one player should get special treatment. I think these type of football bang bang plays are part of a fast, violent game. If the league is going to try and regulate these plays, it will change the game of football and not for the better.
Dammit! What is wrong with you?!? There's no place for logic in the NFL! ;) :-P :evilgrin:

(I pretty well agree with you.)

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I bolded where I believe your analysis fails, because Flacco could've done any number of things. Plant and change direction right or left with or without a spin move. Lower his shoulder and deliver a blow or do a stiff arm. Stutter step or slow down to change speeds. Even though some of these things are unlikely, a defender has to be prepared for ANYTHING. So to say he should expect Flacco to do X and therefore do Y is a recipe for him to enhance the opportunity for failure. And even if he is successful, he becomes predictable and can be taken advantage of later.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I bolded where I believe your analysis fails, because Flacco could've done any number of things. Plant and change direction right or left with or without a spin move. Lower his shoulder and deliver a blow or do a stiff arm. Stutter step or slow down to change speeds. Even though some of these things are unlikely, a defender has to be prepared for ANYTHING. So to say he should expect Flacco to do X and therefore do Y is a recipe for him to enhance the opportunity for failure. And even if he is successful, he becomes predictable and can be taken advantage of later.

it's almost like we're speaking 2 different languages

let me try again

a defender pursuing a runner with the purpose of tackling him should be focused on the center mass of his intended target ... and if you focus on the center mass, you will be prepared to drill the guy in the center of his mass as you close in on him

the only thing we agree on is that a defender should be prepared for anything ... which is why focusing on the center mass of the runner is a critical element of proper tackling

I wasn't saying a defender is supposed to be predicting what a runner is going to do ... I wasn't saying a defender is supposed to be able to stop on a dime or change immediate momentum or direction

I don't know how I can make this any more clear so will simply leave it as is
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

let me try again

a defender pursuing a runner with the purpose of tackling him should be focused on the center mass of his intended target ... and if you focus on the center mass, you will be prepared to drill the guy in the center of his mass as you close in on him

the only thing we agree on is that a defender should be prepared for anything ... which is why focusing on the center mass of the runner is a critical element of proper tackling

I wasn't saying a defender is supposed to be predicting what a runner is going to do ... I wasn't saying a defender is supposed to be able to stop on a dime or change immediate momentum or direction

The chest is not the center of mass. The waist is. And that's pretty much exactly the height of Alonso's hit.

Game. Set. Match. :-P :evilgrin:

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

let me try again

The chest is not the center of mass. The waist is.

fine

I should have said upper torso ... not chest, not waist, upper torso

Mikefive wrote:And that's pretty much exactly the height of Alonso's hit.

???

if you think Alonso hit Flacco at waist level, then you also think Flacco has legs about a foot long
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I think we need Adi to get the tape and do a freeze frame. In any case, we've made our points. Time to move on.

Cheers Boris! :toast: