10.15.17 // WIN - Bears 27, Ravens 24

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

PFF grades from the game. Nothing unexpected, and I don't take it as gospel. However, it's a nice reference point, from people who sit and watch every play, from every player. Which I (like you all) just don't have time to do. lol

admin edit: No posting of premium site content please
PAYWALL CONTENT & NEWS:

If a site has any indication of pay-to-view content (Scout.com, The Athletic, etc), please don't copy-paste the contents to our board. Linking to the page along with a brief summary is acceptable.
Richie
MVP

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
This sums it up for me.

TOP 39mins
Rushing attempts 54
Passing attempts 16
3rd down efficiency 5-17
Eh, if the Bears don't give up 15 points on special teams, this really isn't even a conversation.
You're missing the point. Point being is this offense isn't good enough to show your hand and expect to win.
Except we did twice, against two pretty solid teams. One time yesterday, where we literally dominated and win going away without two SPT gaffes. I would contend that perhaps you are missing the point.
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:FWIW, I am all for Fox being canned, but I can't criticize any of the offensive play-calling under Trub so far.

I agree to disagree

Trubisky is a mobile QB ... he is accurate throwing on the run ... his mobility can and does help against a pass rush ... but when the passing plays designed and called appear to be to keep him in the pocket, they are doing the defense's job for them and making Trubisky a potential casualty thanks to the sporadic offensive line play

emphasizing the running game? no problem ... but apparently hamstringing your own passing game seems kind of dumb to me
How many times do you think Trubisky has thrown from, and from outside of the pocket thus far? I would be willing to bet it's been majority out of the pocket, rolling out. It's been at least 50/50 or so. I honestly cannot think of another team that does that. I mean, even with Watson in Houston, most of those highlights you see are him passing from the pocket.

You can't roll a QB out of the pocket every passing play, that's ridiculous. You have to be able to pass from the pocket in the NFL. I mean, I'm not sure what you want. We roll him out a TON.

you missed my point entirely or I worded it poorly

let me try again

* the passing game against the Ratbirds seemed to have had Trubisky passing just on predictable passing downs
* the running game was working yet play action passes, particularly on the straight dropbacks, were not being utilized
* utilizing a QB's mobility does not mean rolling him out on every damn play ... it means allowing for a more floating pocket so he can slide away from a rusher to make a play downfield ... more of a Rodgers type thing than actual designed rollouts all the time (which was not what I was suggesting)

I thought Trubisky did well but felt the Bears constrained him enough to be advantageous to the defense more than to the Bears offense

it just seemed like the offense was forcibly conservative and I hope will loosen up more as the season progresses and Trubisky becomes more and more comfortable with those around him
I see an offense that is flirting with disaster nearly every time Trubisky (or whoever the hell else would be back there) DOES drop-back.

I see an offense that is conservative out of complete necessity.

If you really think slinging the ball with this kid, in this offense is a good idea. We're so far apart... I don't even think we can really have a conversation about this.

IMO, we're lucky that we got away with throwing as much as we did. Trubisky, Glennon... whoever... we have a NON-EXISTENT passing attack man. Maybe as Trubisky grows week-to-week that will change. Against that D... on the road... with our crop of WR's? Man, I can't fathom wanting to throw more and think it's a classic mistake by a hometown fan, who just wants to see his team be more aggressive. Not that I don't understand this mind-set.

The schedule lightens up in the second half. You'll get to see what you're looking for.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

admin edit: removed premium pff content
Adipost
MVP

All-22 is out. On the long Jordan Howard run in OT, McBride delivered a huge block that wiped out Tony Jefferson. Not only did it eliminate Jefferson from the play, it allowed Dion Sims to get into the second level and block out CB Jimmy Smith.

Angle #1: https://gfycat.com/ImperturbableChillyFirefly

Angle #2: https://gfycat.com/InsidiousAnyBluet
UOK
Site Admin

Hey guys, just a reminder to please not post premium content that's typically behind a paywall. Violates our community guidelines.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:Hey guys, just a reminder to please not post premium content that's typically behind a paywall. Violates our community guidelines.
I think he was using info from the free portion of the site.
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:Hey guys, just a reminder to please not post premium content that's typically behind a paywall. Violates our community guidelines.
I think he was using info from the free portion of the site.
Oh.

So he was!

I've gotten some nasty contact from PFF before about posting their material here.

Here's a link to the article, which is indeed free.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... -ravens-24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:All-22 is out. On the long Jordan Howard run in OT, McBride delivered a huge block that wiped out Tony Jefferson. Not only did it eliminate Jefferson from the play, it allowed Dion Sims to get into the second level and block out CB Jimmy Smith.

Angle #1: https://gfycat.com/ImperturbableChillyFirefly

Angle #2: https://gfycat.com/InsidiousAnyBluet
I remember that block. He really sealed off Jefferson, and opened a HUGE hole for Howard. It was a great play.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A couple of articles of interest on nfl.com:

1. Jordan Howard is a contender for the FedEx Ground Player of the week, so if you want to vote...

2. Trubisky's TD to Sims is number one on their list of the Top 5 plays Week 6, which you can view in 360 degrees.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

to begin overtime, was it Glennon who got over ruled?

after the official finishes his little speech and asks the Bears to call it, you hear "tails" kind of quietly, but then a much louder "NO, heads" and the official says heads is the call
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Richie wrote:PFF grades from the game. Nothing unexpected, and I don't take it as gospel. However, it's a nice reference point, from people who sit and watch every play, from every player. Which I (like you all) just don't have time to do. lol

admin edit: No posting of premium site content please
PAYWALL CONTENT & NEWS:

If a site has any indication of pay-to-view content (Scout.com, The Athletic, etc), please don't copy-paste the contents to our board. Linking to the page along with a brief summary is acceptable.
Yeah, that was totally free and available, via a google search man.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:to begin overtime, was it Glennon who got over ruled?

after the official finishes his little speech and asks the Bears to call it, you hear "tails" kind of quietly, but then a much louder "NO, heads" and the official says heads is the call
Yes it was Glennon being overruled then you can hear him saying tails never fails as it is being flipped. He shouldn't even be Captain anymore he lost his job he never won to begin with.
G08
Hall of Famer

John Fox was so pissed off during last week's game that he literally bit a crown out of his tooth :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

Welp..
Ravens fillet 'fins..40-0
You jus; never know..
Week to week matchups..

But we'll see..
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

docc wrote:Welp..
You jus; never know..
Week to week matchups..

But we'll see..
Good thing I started the Ravens defense in fantasy. :)
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

You jus; never know..
Week to week matchups..

But we'll see..
Might get Gase back after all.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
You jus; never know..
Week to week matchups..

But we'll see..
Might get Gase back after all.
Yeah, he's having a rough go of it down there. Not sure he has much to work with though. His franchise QB is out, and his defense sucks. Mostly because they paid all of that money to Suh...and nobody else. They're so desperate they signed David Fales this week. I mean...that's bad.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think I am slowly realizing that just because you're a good/great offensive or defensive coordinator you are not guaranteed to be a good/great head coach.

Whole different ballgame leading an entire team... it, God damnit, it kind of is what is making my needle move back to retaining Fox if this team continues to trend upward.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I think I am slowly realizing that just because you're a good/great offensive or defensive coordinator you are not guaranteed to be a good/great head coach.
well better late than never with your realization

G08 wrote:Whole different ballgame leading an entire team... it, God damnit, it kind of is what is making my needle move back to retaining Fox if this team continues to trend upward.
and the light comes on ...

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Gase doesn’t have much to work with at all. That defense is awful. The offensive line is overrated. Parker is arguably better than Landry, and he’s perpetually hurt. They are on their 3rd QB.
docc
Head Coach

How could the defense be awful..
They have Master of the Dirty hit..
A boy named Suh..

With regards to Mr Cash
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:Gase doesn’t have much to work with at all. That defense is awful. The offensive line is overrated. Parker is arguably better than Landry, and he’s perpetually hurt. They are on their 3rd QB.
Offensive line is awful just like it was last season. The difference is that Tannehill did a great job masking it. I said it when they signed him, Cutler never had a chance behind that line.