Bears -33 in turnover since 2015

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That is beyond pathetic. WTF happened? That needs to turn around for this team to win some games.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/10/12/ ... turnovers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wounded Bear
MVP

We need to get Peanut out of the FBI and hire him as a DB coach.

Seriously.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

That's my one criticism of Fangio. Think of how good this defense would be if it produced an NFL average amount of TOs.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:We need to get Peanut out of the FBI and hire him as a DB coach.

Seriously.
No, no, no. It's important Mr Tillman keeps doing what he's doing; he's a man on a mission. Why do you think a multi-millionaire ex-football player is joining the FBI? One day in the not too distant future Agent Tillman will be along to arrest half the Bears organisation for crimes against football and emotional abuse of fans, starting with Ted Phillips and senior members of the McCaskey family.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:That is beyond pathetic. WTF happened?
see "Bears coaching staff / player roster : 2015 to present"

Otis Day wrote:That needs to turn around for this team to win some games.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/10/12/ ... turnovers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wasn't all that long ago we were complaining the Bears were all defense and needed an offense to do their part ... so the Bears tried to go with an offensive minded coach and it was a failure, dragging the defense into the toilet as well

if Lovie Smith had taken the offense seriously and had hired a legitimate offensive coordinator to handle that side of things, he'd probably still be our coach ... and perhaps the Bears would have been to a few more playoff games (gasp - perhaps even a Super Bowl or 2) over the years since Lovie was fired

instead we had a team with a defense that produced turnovers like a production line at a factory leading the Bears to a Super Bowl, and then not a whole lot since

and I just realized I am rambling and mixing topics ... and I blame the Bears as their institutional confusion and lack of focus is now spilling over to others
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

As much of a Cutler apologist as I am, he can be partially - if not directly, attributed to this stat.

Turning the ball over as often as he did, didn't help this number.
Gaytoe
Journeyman

wab wrote:As much of a Cutler apologist as I am, he can be partially - if not directly, attributed to this stat.

Glennon and Barkley certainly didn't help either! :frustrated:
PC Load Letter
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:That's my one criticism of Fangio. Think of how good this defense would be if it produced an NFL average amount of TOs.
Just going off of memory, I don't really recall his D's in San Fran creating a ton of turnovers. They were just dominant in all other areas. I think part of it is also we never really have a sizable lead that puts the opposing offense in predictable situations. We're the definition of bend/don't break, but tend to have one or two "breaks" a game.
Wounded Bear
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:We need to get Peanut out of the FBI and hire him as a DB coach.

Seriously.
No, no, no. It's important Mr Tillman keeps doing what he's doing; he's a man on a mission. Why do you think a multi-millionaire ex-football player is joining the FBI? One day in the not too distant future Agent Tillman will be along to arrest half the Bears organisation for crimes against football and emotional abuse of fans, starting with Ted Phillips and senior members of the McCaskey family.
Yes, of course I've heard of this, but was cautioned not to speak of it anywhere. I hope he pistol whips Ted Phillips and plants some heroin on Virginia when it all goes down.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Gaytoe wrote:
wab wrote:As much of a Cutler apologist as I am, he can be partially - if not directly, attributed to this stat.

Glennon and Barkley certainly didn't help either! :frustrated:
Yeah, you can lay a lot of things at Cutler's door wab but I'm struggling to see how you can blame him for this one. He only played 20 of the 37 games in question, having been injured much of last season, and he had a decent year in 2015 with Gase calling the plays. Cutler's turnovers in the time Fox has been head coach account for only 23 out of 64 (36%).

In 2015, when Cutler played 15 games, the Bears ranked 13th in giveaways but 28th in takeaways.
In 2016 the Bears ranked 30th in giveaways and 32nd in takeaways.
So far in 2017 the Bears rank 31st in giveaways and 30th in takeaways.

The defense has been lamentable with regards to turnovers and the offense has joined them. Coaches can talk about the need to protect the football and create turnovers as much as they like but it clearly hasn't had any effect.

Even under Trestman the Bears were better, despite having the worst defense in franchise history. In 2013 they ranked 13th on both offense and defense and in 2014 they ranked 26th on offense and 20th on defense. This probably helps explain why, despite his utter ineptitude, Trestman won a higher proportion of games than Fox has managed.

I would suggest that Trestman benefitted from having players who played under Smith, who for all his faults placed such an emphasis on creating turnovers that he successfully instilled a culture that everyone on the defense and special teams bought into 100% and which was handed down to the new arrivals each year. In Smith's final season the defense ranked 1st in the NFL for takeaways with a massive 44 and the turnover differential that year was +20. There are no players left from Smith's era now; there's no-one to pass that culture on to the current generation of players. Sadly that ethos has been lost.

All joking aside, bringing in a guy like Tillman and other former players to teach techniques and inspire this group of players would be no bad thing in my opinion. The defense may no longer be giving up 50 points in games like they did under Trestman, but this team is never going to get back in contention until they start making big plays, helping the offense out by giving them short fields and scoring a few TDs of their own.