No gloom and gloom here....

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I've seen enough in his first 2 starts to feel comfortable that it won't be too much longer before we can see the team winning because of Trubisky

right now he is the manager of a very conservative offense and not the key ... but the training wheels will be coming off sooner or later ... and if the passing game becomes just average it will make the running game even better ... add in a defense that is proving itself every week in spite of injury, and we could see more wins than previously expected

and hey - with Rodgers now out and the Packers mortal, maybe things can turn our way in a much bigger fashion
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris put down the crack pipe and don't get ahead of yourself, R E L A X
wab
Mod

A lot of people are bagging on the gameplan yesterday, but I didn't really have a problem with it. I think you have to let him throw, but that Ravens defense is good, and the strength is their secondary. That defense does things that Mitch has never seen in a game before. He was a little wide-eyed out there at times, and I can't blame the staff for protecting him with the run. Plus he had two WR's out there that weren't on the team two weeks ago.

I don't think they come anywhere close to sniffing the division, but I do agree that you'll see the training wheels start to come off in the next few weeks.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

This offense is supposed to feature many 3 and 5 step drop timing patterns to go along with the outside zone running game. Unfortunately, we're not seeing any of that because the wr's can't get open that fast.

No gloom and doom though - when our wideouts start getting separation we're going to be a very difficult offense to stop. Might not be until next year, but it's coming.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:I've seen enough in his first 2 starts to feel comfortable that it won't be too much longer before we can see the team winning because of Trubisky

right now he is the manager of a very conservative offense and not the key ... but the training wheels will be coming off sooner or later ... and if the passing game becomes just average it will make the running game even better ... add in a defense that is proving itself every week in spite of injury, and we could see more wins than previously expected

and hey - with Rodgers now out and the Packers mortal, maybe things can turn our way in a much bigger fashion
I don't think the Bears have a shot at all at making the playoffs. I do think is somehow they can upset the Panthers they will have a shot at least making a run at playoffs. I think that run would come off short.

I think they are running the offense the way they should be. Trubisky should be starting, but he will need to earn pass attempts by making smart throws. I think he has earned a few more next week then he had this week.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:A lot of people are bagging on the gameplan yesterday, but I didn't really have a problem with it. I think you have to let him throw, but that Ravens defense is good, and the strength is their secondary. That defense does things that Mitch has never seen in a game before. He was a little wide-eyed out there at times, and I can't blame the staff for protecting him with the run. Plus he had two WR's out there that weren't on the team two weeks ago.

I don't think they come anywhere close to sniffing the division, but I do agree that you'll see the training wheels start to come off in the next few weeks.
I agree here. But, while they don't really have a shot at the playoffs they could possibly get in sniffing range.
UOK
Site Admin

staleystarch wrote:
wab wrote:A lot of people are bagging on the gameplan yesterday, but I didn't really have a problem with it. I think you have to let him throw, but that Ravens defense is good, and the strength is their secondary. That defense does things that Mitch has never seen in a game before. He was a little wide-eyed out there at times, and I can't blame the staff for protecting him with the run. Plus he had two WR's out there that weren't on the team two weeks ago.

I agree here. But, while they don't really have a shot at the playoffs they could possibly get in sniffing range.
I don't even care about the playoffs, honestly. That would be insane redemption for this team as they are right now. I'm thinking 6, 7 wins, and in the fight of enough games to where you're a few lucky breaks away from being 8-8/9-7.

The Bears are better than their record, namely because they wasted 4 weeks trying to make Glennon work, and that mistake may have cost them a win or two.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Boris put down the crack pipe and don't get ahead of yourself, R E L A X
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
staleystarch wrote:

I don't even care about the playoffs, honestly. That would be insane redemption for this team as they are right now. I'm thinking 6, 7 wins, and in the fight of enough games to where you're a few lucky breaks away from being 8-8/9-7.

The Bears are better than their record, namely because they wasted 4 weeks trying to make Glennon work, and that mistake may have cost them a win or two.
I don't really expect any playoff action either

but I am hyped enough now to expect more than the 3-5 win season most predicted

if they can get some receiver help, or hey, maybe teach the ones they have how to pay attention to their QB and come back for the ball, things can get interesting
George Carlin
wab
Mod

McBride and Gentry are at least talented. So there's kind of something to be excited for, and Wright has come up big a few times. The top 2 are just so so so raw.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I did not get to watch the game due to being away. But I did get to see some highlights and read these boards and looked at the stats. So basically I know nothing. Lol

By the looks of it, they went with somewhat of what I thought they should do (minus the Cohen pass etc).

Despite what some may think, our defense has been playing fairly well even with the amount of injuries. The few plays that killed us this season (the hooper play), (Min run game in second Q), had a good deal to do with injuries to starters, backups, 3rd stringers, and a suspension to a starter. Had like the 5th signal caller in there. So I think all things considering, they slowed down the offenses as best they could and kept us in almost every game so far.

The offense is in a huge transition right now. That's a good thing. I know the Bears are limited right now due to a great deal of things. There are a few plays that I simply do agree with, but the concept isn't too far off of what they need to do. My feeling was to go with (again, I didn't see the game yet) the run game and let Trubisky slowly work his way into throwing. I feel he has the talent, but this format is the best way to combine gametime experience with slowly bringing him along. The Bears have a good run game and it will help this kid work his way in. With the serious lack of WR options, it just magnifies the need. Each week he will get better, smarter and further ahead in playbook and reads. It just takes a bit of time. Trubisky has shown many of us what he has, and the future feels like it's limitless.

That being said, the team and fans must remain patient for this development. If the Bears stick to this gameplan for the most part, I feel it's the best way to stay in games and develop the future at the same time. I can remain excited knowing there is a bright future with this kid and he dosnt have to throw the ball 30x and win on his shoulders to do so now. I am liking what I'm seeing so far.

There have been boneheaded mistakes with penalties, turnovers, and even retarded coaching at times. But the Bears were in close games so far despite it all and the record could be much differant. Crazy isn't it?

On a side note, I did put $100 down on Bears winning the division before the season. With Rodgers going down, wide open! Lol.... "so your saying there is a chance?" Haha
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:McBride and Gentry are at least talented. So there's kind of something to be excited for, and Wright has come up big a few times. The top 2 are just so so so raw.
Trade either a second or third rounder for Landry.... make it conditional. I can make more of an argument over this if needed, but strongly feel this way. Lol
wab
Mod

46Blitz wrote:
wab wrote:McBride and Gentry are at least talented. So there's kind of something to be excited for, and Wright has come up big a few times. The top 2 are just so so so raw.
Trade either a second or third rounder for Landry.... make it conditional. I can make more of an argument over this if needed, but strongly feel this way. Lol
Bears don't have a 3rd and can't afford to fritter away a 2nd. Especially for a guy that is set to be a FA.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Since the original topic was "No doom and gloom here", how about this. Trubisky faced the Vikings and Ravens secondaries in his first two outings. Going into this season, Pro Football Focus had their secondaries power rankings respectively 8th and 7th. The next secondary Trubisky faces will be he Panthers 22nd ranked secondary followed by the Saints 31st ranked secondary. I don't think Trubisky and his group of receivers will suddenly turn into Tom Brady and his group. I do think his completion percentage and in turn his attempts will go up over the next two games.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

staleystarch wrote:Since the original topic was "No doom and gloom here", how about this. Trubisky faced the Vikings and Ravens secondaries in his first two outings. Going into this season, Pro Football Focus had their secondaries power rankings respectively 8th and 7th. The next secondary Trubisky faces will be he Panthers 22nd ranked secondary followed by the Saints 31st ranked secondary. I don't think Trubisky and his group of receivers will suddenly turn into Tom Brady and his group. I do think his completion percentage and in turn his attempts will go up over the next two games.
Good points. He did go against some solid competition over last few games. To me, it's not so much about him being lights out and putting up crazy stats. It's about him being under center and learning the coverages and yada yada. We certainly need to keep control of expectations with the WRs the Bears have etc. All about watching his OTJ training. IMO.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
Bears don't have a 3rd and can't afford to fritter away a 2nd. Especially for a guy that is set to be a FA.
Agreed. Just sign him his offseason. If they want a late round pick to get him in house fine. But they won't.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
Do we have a 3rd in 19?

It's an overall thought, and terms would obviously be conditional depending on situation.

Landry has some issues that came up in offseason, which may not continue to be an issue. Like you said, he will be a FA in the offseason. Language in the trade could have stipulations in it to benefit the Bears if....
A) he gets in trouble in this year, or
B) Can't be resigned.

You can offer a 3rd in 2019 if one of those two things happen. If in the event that they are able to resign him, he will be well worth the 2nd rounder this year. In fact, I would try and resign him this season and front load a few dollars to use on this years cap. Plus lock in a long term WR who will help give a solid target to a young QB in development.

The most important part of this is giving Trubisky some help to improve his development. It's better to help him now with a weapon than to wait a year.

If they traded for him now, it would also give the team the inside track on a player who my turn into a bidding war. It could go both ways, you could also shoot yourself i. The foot if he decides to hit open market, but at least you gave your QB an option for this season. Of which we are so weak in options. To me it's worth the gamble. Maybe he likes the direction and promise of Trubisky and will help some? Who knows? But I would be fine with a gamble of a proven solid player than gamble with a draft pick anyway.