Sources: 49ers shopping unhappy NaVorro Bowman

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

botfly10
Player of the Month

Sources: 49ers shopping unhappy NaVorro Bowman

The San Francisco 49ers are shopping NaVorro Bowman, and there are teams that are interested in the veteran linebacker, league sources told Adam Schefter of ESPN on Friday.

Bowman, 29, has been unhappy with his playing time with the 49ers. He has seen action in all five games this season, getting 38 total tackles.

A knee injury kept Bowman out for the entire 2014 season and an Achilles injury ended his season in 2016 after just four games. But when he has been healthy, he has been one of the NFL's best linebackers.

Overall, Bowman has 709 total tackles, 12.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles and four interceptions in his eight seasons with the 49ers.
botfly10
Player of the Month

49ers release veteran linebacker NaVorro Bowman

ESPN.com

The San Francisco 49ers announced on Friday they have released linebacker NaVorro Bowman.

"Thursday evening, [49ers coach] Kyle [Shanahan] and I met with NaVorro, and from our conversation it became evident that going in different directions was best for both him and our team," 49ers general manager John Lynch said in a statement. "Although NaVorro may be moving on, he will always be looked at as one of the great players to wear the red and gold. We wish him and his family great success."

Earlier on Friday, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the 49ers were shopping Bowman and that there were teams interested in the veteran.

Bowman, 29, has been unhappy with his playing time with the 49ers. He has played in all five games this season, getting 38 total tackles, but his snaps have been reduced as Brock Coyle has gotten more opportunities.

After an 0-5 start to the season, Shanahan was asked Monday if it would be easy to start taking a look at younger players in an effort to build for the future.

"I think it's a fair question, especially when you're 0-5," Shanahan said. "But, I think my goal right now is, I try to keep perspective ... so I don't want to sit here and just make a ton of changes and totally go that direction."

In May, Bowman said he wasn't concerned about competition for his job after trade rumors had surfaced. The 49ers quickly shot that rumor down.

A knee injury kept Bowman out for the entire 2014 season, and an Achilles injury ended his season in 2016 after just four games. When healthy, he has been one of the NFL's best linebackers.

Entering this season, Bowman has recorded two of the top five seasons in solo tackles (120 in 2013, 116 in '15) since he entered the NFL in 2010 as a third-round pick. He ranks seventh overall in tackles (505) during that span, despite missing 20 games to injury over two of the past three seasons. He also was selected to three Pro Bowls.

Overall, Bowman has 709 total tackles, 12 1/2 sacks, 7 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions in his 8 seasons with the 49ers.

ESPN's Nick Wagoner contributed to this report.
botfly10
Player of the Month

Does Bowman have to go through waivers? Or is he exempt from that process because he is a vet?

Cause there is a pretty obvious connection to the bears and pretty desperate need as well.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Is he completely healthy though?

I imagine he would want to start if lack of playing time was a concern. Could he fit with Trevathan playing?
botfly10
Player of the Month

I think Trevathan is the only healthy ILB left on the roster. Oh wait, there's Jones. Anyone else? Don't think playing time would be a problem. Seems like it would hinge on health like you said or maybe money.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:I think Trevathan is the only healthy ILB left on the roster. Oh wait, there's Jones. Anyone else? Don't think playing time would be a problem. Seems like it would hinge on health like you said or maybe money.
But if/when Kwiatkowski is ready again, would the Bears play him to get him some experience, or a veteran who almost certainly wouldn't be back next year?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
botfly10 wrote:I think Trevathan is the only healthy ILB left on the roster. Oh wait, there's Jones. Anyone else? Don't think playing time would be a problem. Seems like it would hinge on health like you said or maybe money.
But if/when Kwiatkowski is ready again, would the Bears play him to get him some experience, or a veteran who almost certainly wouldn't be back next year?
probably depends if fox is coaching for his job or not.
WagonForce
MVP

Since we can expect the Bears to IR several more players each time they play, I don't think getting enough snaps will be a problem for anyone healthy.

If it's possible, bring him in.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

WagonForce wrote:Since we can expect the Bears to IR several more players each time they play, I don't think getting enough snaps will be a problem for anyone healthy.

my favorite monday morning game to play is "WHO ON THE BEAR'S ROSTER DIED YESTERDAY?"
beardownbilly
Journeyman

RustyTrubisky wrote:
WagonForce wrote:Since we can expect the Bears to IR several more players each time they play, I don't think getting enough snaps will be a problem for anyone healthy.

my favorite monday morning game to play is "WHO ON THE BEAR'S ROSTER DIED YESTERDAY?"
That is not my favourite game, it makes me sad :(
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I don't think it could hurt. IR space is unlimited right?
botfly10
Player of the Month

Whelp, Bowman signed with the Raiders. Oh yeah, a contender. Duh, what was I thinking.