what does kyle fuller's next contract look like?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Assuming this isnt a classic alshon situation and fuller will consider staying, and assuming he continues his current upward trajectory over the course of the season, what do you offer him next year? Are you trying to lock him up for 5 years through his prime? are you wary of his knees holding up and try and get cute with a 2-3 year deal?

as of right now, there are a handful of very solid and a bunch of mid-range corners hitting the market next year:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UOK
Site Admin

Probably 4 years $40M at least. Same deal-ish for Vontae Davis.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

other FA's that should be locked up next year as well:
-Kendall Wright
-Cam Meredith (RFA)
-Prince Amukamara (?)
-Bryce Callahan (RFA)
-Christian Jones (?)

So financially we arent in a bind, with a projected 40Mil before we cut glennon's useless ass.
UOK
Site Admin

RustyTrubisky wrote:other FA's that should be locked up next year as well:
-Kendall Wright
-Cam Meredith (RFA)
-Prince Amukamara (?)
-Bryce Callahan (RFA)
-Christian Jones (?)

So financially we arent in a bind, with a projected 40Mil before we cut glennon's useless ass.
Wright will probably only come back if Loggains comes back, and I'm guessing he won't be on the team next year. But who knows.

Meredith will come back because he has no leverage.

Amukamara will probably get another 1yr deal on the cheap, but depends on Bears aggression in FA/draft.

Callahan should get a nice deal to come back, but may want to test market.

Jones is replaceable.
IotaNet
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:... before we cut glennon's useless ass.
That's what I'm talking about. But getting rid of the giraffe was never in doubt.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Richie
MVP

He has not earned a big contract yet, but if this keeps up and he stays healthy. It could be a healthy contract. No doubt.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Fuller's next contract will be bigger than picking up his 5th year option would've been.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Fuller's next contract will be bigger than picking up his 5th year option would've been.
100%

But I can't sit here and say I don't get why we declined it at the time.

It would be pretty silly of me to sit here, with the luxury of hindsight and do that.
docc
Head Coach

Agreed
However a LOT depends on how Fuller plays the next few games or rest of season//
Looked very nice today//
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He’s our best corner. He’s playing lights out. There’s more than a few “gunslingers” left on the schedule. Brees. Dalton. Stafford twice. If he can get 3 picks, he’ll be looking at 4/38mill area.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

RustyTrubisky wrote:other FA's that should be locked up next year as well:
-Kendall Wright
-Cam Meredith (RFA)
-Prince Amukamara (?)
-Bryce Callahan (RFA)
-Christian Jones (?)

I’d like to see Wright get 3 years. He should look better the more they open the playbook for Trubs.

Cam will probably get 2 years, play for an extension next year.

Prince is interesting. I think if we extend him, we should cut Cooper. Coop’s been good, but we’ve be just as good without him. Some could argue better.

Callahan will get 3 years/8-10mill. Solid nickel back. He’s kept Cre’von off the field a lot more than I thought he would.

CJones. I didn’t think he really earned an extension last year, it he got one. He’ll stick. 2 years.

Also, maybe not top of the list, but Pat O’Donnell is in a contract year. He’s been good.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I don't know if he's our best corner, there is a reason they are throwing it his way like they are. And it's not like the Baltimore offense is that great. But I get what you are saying, he's been pretty damn good and had plenty of opportunity to make mistakes, they are going after him like crazy... to be fair, it's because that's in the book on how to play the Bears D for the last few years.

I think right now the biggest question is whether chronic injury was inhibiting his play before this or if it was lack of motivation.

Sucks that he's finally 100% healthy in a contract year! It makes it a hard read for sure.

It would be nice to keep him but not at 10 a year. The problem is that someone will probably offer him that, although maybe not for 4 years like that. I think Alshon is a good comparison (different but similar question of potential production) and I think it's in Fuller's court to be reasonable and make it work... or not... He could probably get more for leaving but there is long term gain in playing nice and sticking around and "proving it" in a defense that obviously suits his style right now.
wab
Mod

INTs really determine the open market value of a defensive back. He may have developed into a solid cover guy and a surprisingly willing tackler, but teams keep throwing at him and he's not coming away with picks. Teams will look at that when determining what kind of contract to give him.

I didn't think he'd make it out of training camp, but now I hope he sticks around for a while.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Cam and Callahan are both restricted, so I'm sure we'll keep both of them around.

The real choice will be between Fuller and Prince, as I doubt we'll be willing to pay both of them with Cooper already tied up for three years and a bunch of young guns sitting behind them.

I think the answer to that question will be based on how confident Pace is that Fuller will continue to play well when he's not in a contract year. Last year he gave the appearance of not having his heart in the game - you don't give big bucks to someone who you doubt will give his all to the team.
GSH
MVP

he's a good player in a position the bears have needed to shore up for far too long.

I hope the bears learn from other teams that pay to keep their productive team members rather than constantly having this revolving door of players who leave as soon as they start to show comfort in the scheme. Its not as if some markedly better pro-bowl players are beating a path to Halas Hall to play for the bears.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

There's no way anyone here would have agreed to pick up Fuller's option after his first 3 seasons as a Bear and let's not forget that he missed the entire 2016 campaign. He's playing extremely well right now, but he has to stay consistent throughout the rest of year and stay healthy. I would love for him to earn a new deal but let's not pretend anyone saw him playing well in 2017. Most thought he'd get cut after TC.
Never Die Easy
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

We could have used Alshon Jeffery this year. We can use Kyle Fuller next year. Don't play games. Pay the man.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:let's not pretend anyone saw him playing well in 2017. Most thought he'd get cut after TC.
Generally true, but I'm claiming an exemption

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... er#p176504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... er#p177904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:let's not pretend anyone saw him playing well in 2017. Most thought he'd get cut after TC.
Generally true, but I'm claiming an exemption

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... er#p176504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... er#p177904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm claiming an exception too. I didn't like the cheat shots the Bears took at him either. It reminded me of Jeffery's treatment. But, I'm the minority on the subject of Jeffery too.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Bad Flanders
MVP

Fuller will be pretty damn lucky to head into the offseason negotiations with the kind of clout that Jeffery went in with last year. He's played well but he needs to play even better to have that kind of attention. And, regardless of what you think of the AJ situation, management obviously is unwilling to deal with a guy who feels they need more from the Bears than they do from another team to play (which is what AJeff wanted and I happen to agree with management there). If he pulls an AJeff, he won't play with a C on his helmet next year.
malk
Head Coach

Corners seem to be getting paid at the moment so if he keeps it up it will be a good contract. The question will be what the funny business with him was last year. At face value he was injured but with Fangio's comments and the general weirdness of it all I'd be surprised if there wasn't something there.

I think that's now likely to be water under the bridge rather than a bridge burned though.

It might even work out better for us. Again assuming he continues to perform at a high level, its still only one year so we could get him for his prime without having to break the bank. I'd be happy with that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Wounded Bear
MVP

The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:what does kyle fuller's next contract look like?
Wounded Bear wrote:Image
:clap:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin