Fox wanted Biscuit weeks ago???

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bad Flanders
MVP

Have you seen this from La Canfora @ CBS? Says it was ownership/management that wanted Glennon playing and Fox wanted Biscuit "very early in the season"?!?!

I've been a Pace supporter, I think he's shown enough positives in the initial step up to GM that he'll make a damn good GM when he's got some experience under his belt. BUT if this is true, it drives me a little nuts and reeks of pride and an inability to admit a mistake, which is something experience rarely fixes IMO.

I don't know, I really thought Glennon was really just a stop-gap qb / draft smoke screen. Expensive yes but Cutler was obviously a good cut, and I would've argued for him if I hadn't seen him play with the Dolphin's, and who else was there and at what price? Sanchez at the minimum sure wouldn't be a smoke screen in the draft!

BUT, if ANYONE really thought Glennon was "startable" after preseason and the first couple games, they should really not have anything to do with football team management.

I really hope this is just Fox's buddies trying to get him another coaching gig next year!
mshu7
Pro Bowler

LaCanforna? I stopped there.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

LaCanfora throws shit against the wall and sees what sicks. I believe nothing that comes out of that dweeb's mouth.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:Have you seen this from La Canfora @ CBS? Says it was ownership/management that wanted Glennon playing and Fox wanted Biscuit "very early in the season"?!?!

I wish I had a job where I could just sit around, make shit up, and get paid to post it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I don't like Confora, but I'd bet my kid's college fund that it was Pace who mandated that Glennon be given every opportunity, because it was Pace that proclaimed the job unequivocally belonged to Glennon. Then when Biscuit outplayed Glennon in every fashion during camp and preseason, Pace wanted/needed to be a man of his word.

When it became painfully obvious that a switch needed to be made, they'd given Glennon enough time to call it a "fair" shot.
UOK
Site Admin

I don't buy any of this. I think the situation was fluid, messy with its politics, and everyone approached it in a way that is difficult to read.

La Canfora took one shade of grey and ran with it. It's not really a good avenue to follow.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

If we're honest, we'll admit that Trubisky STILL isn't "ready to play" in the sense of being able to run the complete offense and read the defenses. Or at least the coaches don't think he is based on the way the last two games have been schemed.

I'm sure that Fox and Pace believed that Glennon provided the better chance to win games based on his ability to do both of those things. When it became painfully clear that Glennon's advantages in those areas were outweighed by his negatives in mobility and reaction time, the change was made.

I still believe Trubisky's ascension has always been about winning games and saving the coach's job - not his development.
Richie
MVP

This actually makes sense.

Fox's job is on the line, or he at least needs a good showing to get another gig. Has no time for patience.

Pace is thinking a couple years down the line. Doesn't feel the need to rush the kid.

I said the moment Glennon was benched, I still do not mind the decision to start Glennon Week 1.
jamus34
Journeyman

Richie wrote:This actually makes sense.

Fox's job is on the line, or he at least needs a good showing to get another gig. Has no time for patience.

Pace is thinking a couple years down the line. Doesn't feel the need to rush the kid.

I said the moment Glennon was benched, I still do not mind the decision to start Glennon Week 1.
Agreed - I wrote off 2017 with the draft.

That said I'm glad Glennon was in to get the early lumps (that early schedule was brutal)

Ironically we ran all over and beat 2 of the supposed best defenses in the league.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Or week 4. Or further than that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:

Or week 4. Or further than that.
I’m starting to wonder if Glennon owes you money.
botfly10
Player of the Month

Trubs is not ready to be starting in the NFL. Nothing about his game so far suggests starting him was anything less than desperation.

He is learning by fire which is dangerous with a prospect that is more or less the entire hope for the franchise. I don't blame Pace for wanting to prolong the inevitable for as long as possible. Because from what I have seen of Trubs so far, live action isn't doing a lot except showing how much he has yet to learn. Oh, and how bad his WRs are. The progress we are hoping to see is still happening in practice.

And look, I am in no way saying I think Trubs is bad, or that he won't work out, or that there was really any other choice. Cause there wasn't. Glegnon was a disaster. And Trubs was and still is my favorite QB prospect coming out. But still. Waiting as long as possible was the right choice.
Last edited by botfly10 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
botfly10
Player of the Month

wab wrote:I don't like Confora, but I'd bet my kid's college fund that it was Pace who mandated that Glennon be given every opportunity, because it was Pace that proclaimed the job unequivocally belonged to Glennon. Then when Biscuit outplayed Glennon in every fashion during camp and preseason, Pace wanted/needed to be a man of his word.

When it became painfully obvious that a switch needed to be made, they'd given Glennon enough time to call it a "fair" shot.
This is so weird. Why invent some drama about Pace wanting to protect Glegnon or some conspiracy to mollify fans and media when there is a much more reasonable explanation? Maybe Pace was (right or wrong) just trying to give Trubs the best opportunity to succeed possible?

And what the fuck is with the man of his word nonsense? Pace traded up to draft Trubs. Pace's entire legacy as the Bears GM hinges on the success of Trubs. And you think he would knowingly jeopardize that over some bullshit with Glennon? Think about what you are saying.

Maybe Pace was doing what he had to do to protect Trubs? From his perspective? You know, Occam's razor and whatnot?
botfly10
Player of the Month

Agree with this. I mean fuck Glennon, that was a disaster and in hindsight a fucking huge mistake. But I don't disagree with the idea of protecting your rookie QB who you believe is not ready to be thrown to the wolves.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:Trubs is not ready to be starting in the NFL. Nothing about his game so far suggests starting him was anything less than desperation.

He is learning by fire which is dangerous with a prospect that is more or less the entire hope for the franchise. I don't blame Pace for wanting to prolong the inevitable for as long as possible. Because from what I have seen of Trubs so far, live action isn't doing a lot except showing how much he has yet to learn. Oh, and how bad his WRs are. The progress we are hoping to see is still happening in practice.

And look, I am in no way saying I think Trubs is bad, or that he won't work out, or that there was really any other choice. Cause there wasn't. Glegnon was a disaster. And Trubs was and still is my favorite QB prospect coming out. But still. Waiting as long as possible was the right choice.
Agree.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

This sounds like Fox leaking some shit that makes him look good and maybe buys him more time.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I don't buy it at all. What's his history starting rookies in general let alone rookie qbs
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:This sounds like Fox leaking some shit that makes him look good and maybe buys him more time.
Does it? Pace is still his boss, and leaking that your boss is wrong and you were right doesnt exactly endear you towards your superiors.

I do believe the general gist of this though, Fox has repeatedly said he wants "football players," and well, you've got a cut, golden boy adonis motherfucker in Mitch, and you've got Napolean Dynamite. Fox is ultimately kind of a meatball, and so I think he wasnt interested in starting Jimmy Clausen not because he was a rookie, but because he was fucking Jimmy Clausen. 2010 Jimmy Clausen is not a football player, (and it turns out 2017 jimmy isnt either) and i think it's an incorrect reading that's he's just flatly against rookies at QB.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:If we're honest, we'll admit that Trubisky STILL isn't "ready to play" in the sense of being able to run the complete offense and read the defenses. Or at least the coaches don't think he is based on the way the last two games have been schemed.

I'm sure that Fox and Pace believed that Glennon provided the better chance to win games based on his ability to do both of those things. When it became painfully clear that Glennon's advantages in those areas were outweighed by his negatives in mobility and reaction time, the change was made.
Nailed it. It's too early for this kid and it's a bit hard to watch, but he has enough sense to throw it out of away (for the most part) and he didn't throw the obligatory INT. So he's showing some discipline even though it's obvious that he's uncomfortable and that's a real good sign and a breath of fresh air. Hopefully he continues with this slow, controlled, disciplined progression and doesn't have a Matt Barkley meltdown game which can have the potential to do some damage to a young player's psyche.

BTW, one thing Trubs could learn from Jay Cutler is the back-shoulder pass. I saw several opportunities for that to work during the Baltimore game with his buddy, Tanner Gentry. And although our receivers do absolutely suck, I do believe Dowell Loggains could put a couple of more change of direction pass routes to free these guys up to get open.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Umbali
MVP

Look....I hated the Glennon signing. Im sick of Fox. However, honestly sitting Trubisky for a few weeks to give him extra time to observe wasnt ever going to change the course of our season. Would we have made the playoffs? Doubtful. Lets develop him and get another good draft and build. Stop buying into this nonsense.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Nippersink
Rookie

I really, really like Trubisky, but if this "Biscuit" nonsense keeps up, it's gonna be real hard to hang on. It doesn't much matter if a few isolated fans called him that, it's the worst nickname I've ever heard. Seriously he deserves better.
wab
Mod

Nippersink wrote:I really, really like Trubisky, but if this "Biscuit" nonsense keeps up, it's gonna be real hard to hang on. It doesn't much matter if a few isolated fans called him that, it's the worst nickname I've ever heard. Seriously he deserves better.
Mister Biscuit is the best nickname evurrrrrr.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Umbali wrote:Look....I hated the Glennon signing. Im sick of Fox. However, honestly sitting Trubisky for a few weeks to give him extra time to observe wasnt ever going to change the course of our season. Would we have made the playoffs? Doubtful. Lets develop him and get another good draft and build. Stop buying into this nonsense.
Yeah, I was hoping to sit him this entire year, but if we did feel the necessity to start him this year, I thought we would be smarter than this and introduce him much later in the season. To me, the gauge to start Trubisky for me was never how good or bad Glennon performed, it was whether Trubisky was ready or not....and he's not ready and I am not exactly crazy about the baptism by fire bullshit because it's a crap shoot. As they said Sunday, he's started 15 games since High School. Let's hope we get lucky and he navigates this bush league bullshit and becomes a good QB in spite of the decisions made by his handlers.

Whoever did the risk/reward calculations on this scenario should be sent back to school.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Wounded Bear
MVP

Nippersink wrote:I really, really like Trubisky, but if this "Biscuit" nonsense keeps up, it's gonna be real hard to hang on. It doesn't much matter if a few isolated fans called him that, it's the worst nickname I've ever heard. Seriously he deserves better.
LOL. I hate it, too, but unfortunately it looks like it has some traction since it appears to be popular.

Biscuit sounds like a shitty name an uncreative family would name their family pet. It's like people who name their dog, Lucky. Fuck those people.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Butter him up so he can get on a roll.
Bad Flanders
MVP

yeah, it's not us, it's his teammates and Fox calling him biscuit
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:yeah, it's not us, it's his teammates and Fox calling him biscuit

yep

and if you have a problem with it. go tell Kyle Long he's an asshole for calling Trubisky that ... but first let everyone know where to send the flowers
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Bad Flanders wrote:yeah, it's not us, it's his teammates and Fox calling him biscuit

yep

and if you have a problem with it. go tell Kyle Long he's an asshole for calling Trubisky that ... but first let everyone know where to send the flowers
Well in that case, when I said I hated the nickname before, what I actually meant to say is that I love the nickname.....
Neil deGrasse Tyson
BR0D1E86
MVP

I think one of his college coaches gave it to him when he initially misheard his name.