BREAKING: Bears and Fox Announce 5-Year Extension.... UGH

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Otis Day wrote:I was confident it wasn't John Fox and my confidence held, for once.
yeah? well it won't surprise me if John Fox is extended ... probably not for 5 years, but I could see the Bears doing 2
Every time I watch a Fox press conference, I get the vibe that he isn't worried about losing his job. Is this because he may be nearing retirement and doesn't care or does Pace and Fox have some kind of agreement to play this out to the end of Fox's contract?

If you were Pace setting yourself up for that second contract from Halas Hall, would you be better off firing Fox at the end of this year and riding with a new head coach for 2 years heading into your contract negotiations or only having 1 year with a new coach/Fox extension before the same?

Pace has to be thinking about his best chances for a contract renewal by now. What's his move?

could go either way I guess

but I have a sneaky suspicion John Fox is in fact his guy ... so if Pace is considering the future, and he is committed to Fox, then Fox gets a 2 years extension so they succeed or fail together by the time Pace's contract is up
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
Hematite wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Otis Day wrote:I was confident it wasn't John Fox and my confidence held, for once.
yeah? well it won't surprise me if John Fox is extended ... probably not for 5 years, but I could see the Bears doing 2
Every time I watch a Fox press conference, I get the vibe that he isn't worried about losing his job. Is this because he may be nearing retirement and doesn't care or does Pace and Fox have some kind of agreement to play this out to the end of Fox's contract?

If you were Pace setting yourself up for that second contract from Halas Hall, would you be better off firing Fox at the end of this year and riding with a new head coach for 2 years heading into your contract negotiations or only having 1 year with a new coach/Fox extension before the same?

Pace has to be thinking about his best chances for a contract renewal by now. What's his move?

could go either way I guess

but I have a sneaky suspicion John Fox is in fact his guy ... so if Pace is considering the future, and he is committed to Fox, then Fox gets a 2 years extension so they succeed or fail together by the time Pace's contract is up
That's not my read. I just think that Fox has been around the block enough that he has zero fucks to give. He does his best his way and if he never gets a job again, well, he isn't about to grow a fuck.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)