Where is Adam Shaheen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rakshir
Pro Bowler

This has been coming up in chat, and had me wonderings as well. Interesting read and breaks down some plays. Pace can't be drafting project guys with high second round picks when there's so many holes to fill.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2017/ ... x-playbook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wounded Bear
MVP

If he starts showing flashes before the end of the year, I'll be happy. His size, his speed, his athleticism I think will payoff once he gets comfortable in making the transition from Division ll Ashland University to the NFL. That is a huge step that should not be discounted in this equation.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Why he isn't in once we get into the redzone is beyond me. He'd be a better Target than trying to throw to anyone else imo
UOK
Site Admin

The major problem with Shaheen is that you've got Dion Sims and Zach Miller getting all the reps, and Shaheen's splitting reps with Brown, really. Thing is that this is invaluable. Shaheen is a perfect type of talent to have get special teams reps and work with your coaches/learn from watching veterans about how to unlock that potential in him.

No doubt they'll put him and Trubisky together again in camp next year and let those two guys continue to mesh, because next year he'll probably take Miller's spot and get way more opportunities.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Probably wasn't worth where they drafted him. They probably could have gotten him later in the draft. If he was drafted later fans probably would not be worried about his PT. Kid is just not ready. He seems clumsy to me and basically he needs a redshirt year. I agree about Pace reaching, but there is plenty of time for this pick to work out.
wab
Mod

Miller and Sims are there so they don't have to play Shaheen yet. For all the hand wringing about not sitting Trubisky and letting him develop, it seems like the opposite is happening with fans thoughts on a 2nd round guy from Ashland. A guy that at also has two starting level players in front of him...unlike Trubs.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:Probably wasn't worth where they drafted him. They probably could have gotten him later in the draft. If he was drafted later fans probably would not be worried about his PT. Kid is just not ready. He seems clumsy to me and basically he needs a redshirt year. I agree about Pace reaching, but there is plenty of time for this pick to work out.
Based on what?

Heres what McShay said about the pick:

Best Pick: Adam Shaheen

The Bears needed an infusion of youth at tight end, with Zach Miller turning 33 this season and coming off an injury. Shaheen, who ran an impressive 4.79 40 at 278 pounds, has the tools to develop into a difference-making starter in the NFL. What I liked most about this move: The Bears could’ve taken Shaheen at pick No. 36, but they traded down to 45, picking up an extra fourth-rounder (RB Tarik Cohen) and a 2018 fourth.

Doesn't matter that Shaheen was from Ashland - his size/speed/hands weren't going to allow him to be some small school sleeper you pick up in the 4th/5th round (like Cohen). He was getting drafted high based on his measureables.
Last edited by Hiphopopotamos on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:The major problem with Shaheen is that you've got Dion Sims and Zach Miller getting all the reps, and Shaheen's splitting reps with Brown, really. Thing is that this is invaluable. Shaheen is a perfect type of talent to have get special teams reps and work with your coaches/learn from watching veterans about how to unlock that potential in him.

No doubt they'll put him and Trubisky together again in camp next year and let those two guys continue to mesh, because next year he'll probably take Miller's spot and get way more opportunities.
Actually, I've seen Shaheen start at least twice... in a 3 TE set. :-P

Shaheen is from freaking Ashland. He has a lot to learn. And TE is one of the slower learning curve positions. No surprise at all that he's pretty much just a blocking TE at this point.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
sturf
Journeyman

TE's develop slowly in the NFL even the great ones. Tony Gonzalez had last than 400 yards as a rookie. Shaheen has to develop his blocking if he is going to be an effective player. He's getting that chance now not only on offense, but on special teams as well. When Zach Miller eventually gets hurt Shaheen will gets his chance to show that the Bears can count on him as a starter for 2018.
GSH
MVP

Yeah I like Miller but it was pretty obvious when drafted that Shaheen is being groomed as his replacement.
wab
Mod

I would understand the frustration if there weren't two decent players in front of him.
G08
Hall of Famer

sturf wrote:TE's develop slowly in the NFL even the great ones. Tony Gonzalez had last than 400 yards as a rookie. Shaheen has to develop his blocking if he is going to be an effective player. He's getting that chance now not only on offense, but on special teams as well. When Zach Miller eventually gets hurt Shaheen will gets his chance to show that the Bears can count on him as a starter for 2018.
Great point -- you should post more!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

Bears ‘have a lot of faith’ in Adam Shaheen, despite 1 catch this year

Patrick Finley
@patrickfinley | email
Sign-Up for our Sports Newsletter Sign-Up

Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains was asked Wednesday what rookie tight end Adam Shaheen had to do to get involved in the passing game.

“Um, we don’t need to run the ball 50 times and only call 17 passes,” Loggains said. “That’s a big part of it.”

The Bears are going to increase Shaheen’s role, he vowed. He has only one catch this season — a two-yard touchdown — but played a career-high 19 snaps in Sunday’s 27-24 overtime win against the Ravens.

“I don’t know if we target anyone outside Tarik (Cohen) a lot … ” Loggains said. “We have a lot of faith in Adam as a player.”
wab
Mod

docc wrote:Bears ‘have a lot of faith’ in Adam Shaheen, despite 1 catch this year

Patrick Finley
@patrickfinley | email
Sign-Up for our Sports Newsletter Sign-Up

Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains was asked Wednesday what rookie tight end Adam Shaheen had to do to get involved in the passing game.

“Um, we don’t need to run the ball 50 times and only call 17 passes,” Loggains said. “That’s a big part of it.”

The Bears are going to increase Shaheen’s role, he vowed. He has only one catch this season — a two-yard touchdown — but played a career-high 19 snaps in Sunday’s 27-24 overtime win against the Ravens.

“I don’t know if we target anyone outside Tarik (Cohen) a lot … ” Loggains said. “We have a lot of faith in Adam as a player.”
He sounds frustrated honestly.
G08
Hall of Famer

Fox put the handcuffs on him, I'm convinced of it.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

At least one TE will get hobbled this year. Hopefully it will be mild and only a game or luckier yet a quarter. Then Shaheen is going to see the field more. If Sims is still an adventure when it comes to dropped passes as the year goes on Shaheen will not need an injury to see more field time.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Jason Witten rookie year
35 rec. 347 yards. 1 TD.

Tony Gonzalez rookie year
33 rec. 368 yards. 2 TDs.

Greg Olsen rookie year
39 rec. 391 yards. 2 TDS.

Vernon Davis rookie year
20 rec. 265 yards. 3TDs.

OJ Howard so far
5 rec. 107 yards. 1 TD.

I’m not worried. Again, he’s 3rd on the depth chart. I had the idea in the off-season, maybe body-type-wise, he’s not where they want him. Maybe they want him stronger, or more filled out, before they push him out there.
G08
Hall of Famer

For being a former basketball player and such an "athletic specimen", this dude has a hard time staying on his feet after catching the football (small sample size, though... mostly in the pre-season).

Another thing... a lot of the top-tier TEs run in the 4.65-4.69 range. Adam Shaheen ran a 4.79.

I might ask him to drop about 10 lbs and see if he can knock a tenth of a second off that speed. Dude doesn't need to be 278 lbs if he's going to be utilized in the passing game.

GSH
MVP

wab wrote:I would understand the frustration if there weren't two decent players in front of him.
for how long though? millers got what, one more season at best?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Fox put the handcuffs on him, I'm convinced of it.
Not being a Fox apologist, but I am pretty sure the talent level of the WR's currently on the roster has a pretty big part in the game plan being so run heavy. 3-5 yards is a heck of a lot better than a drop with this group of dregs outside of wright.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:For being a former basketball player and such an "athletic specimen", this dude has a hard time staying on his feet after catching the football (small sample size, though... mostly in the pre-season).

Another thing... a lot of the top-tier TEs run in the 4.65-4.69 range. Adam Shaheen ran a 4.79.

I might ask him to drop about 10 lbs and see if he can knock a tenth of a second off that speed. Dude doesn't need to be 278 lbs if he's going to be utilized in the passing game.
Agreed.
You don't spend a R2 to get a blocking TE. In that range you're looking for a receiver that other teams have to gameplan for. And 4.79 isn't going to cause any fear or revision of gameplans.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

He has two solidish TEs ahead of him with experience. He is a kid from a small school in his rookie year. Also being a "project, developmental " player I don't see the need to push him in there.

I think the Bears did a good thing with having two capable TEs on the roster and letting this kid learn and develop. Yeah I would like to see what the kid can do, but it's one of the least urgent things going on here. No doubt he will slowly work his way in, and next year I'm sure he will be on the field quite a bit.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote:
G08 wrote:For being a former basketball player and such an "athletic specimen", this dude has a hard time staying on his feet after catching the football (small sample size, though... mostly in the pre-season).

Agreed.
You don't spend a R2 to get a blocking TE. In that range you're looking for a receiver that other teams have to gameplan for. And 4.79 isn't going to cause any fear or revision of gameplans.
If anything, Blocking was one of his question marks. He was drafted as a receiving TE. Don't think him being a tad slower is a big deal and agree loosing a few pounds wouldn't hurt a ton, but it depends on what his body type can handle. I am sure in the offseason much of this will be addressed. Speed though isn't going to be his game anyway, he is a big body which is a matchup nightmare, being 6-7 270 you can be slightly slower. Those guys running 4.65 are also 3-4 inches and 40lbs smaller....
wab
Mod

I still don’t understand why it was so important for Mitch to sit and learn, but it’s equally important for a 2nd round former basketball player from Ashland to play RIGHT NOW.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:I still don’t understand why it was so important for Mitch to sit and learn, but it’s equally important for a 2nd round former basketball player from Ashland to play RIGHT NOW.
Exactly.

It's all about the fluid circumstances a team goes through in a season. Bad play, good play, and injuries all are part of this. Many of us wanted Trubisky to sit for the year and learn, his good play and Glennons bad play moved him into starting. If the Bears had a capable QB in front of him, he still would be holding a clipboard. If there is an injury at TE, they the next man will be up. Simple as that.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boy, Shaheen had a magnificent block today.
LacertineForest
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Boy, Shaheen had a magnificent block today.
This one?

https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/922467270059876353

Here's another angle, from farther out: https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/922465060659834880
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BearButtseks wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Boy, Shaheen had a magnificent block today.
This one?

https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/922467270059876353

Here's another angle, from farther out: https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/922465060659834880
That's the one!!
docc
Head Coach

Nice pancake !
I like a TE that enjoys to hit..next..Catch Ball too ..

I like Shaheen..
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Well, the luxury of Shaheen doing close to nothing is gone.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.