Adrian Amos

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I figured I would post something positive about this dumpster fire.

Adrian Amos has played really fucking well. At the SS position, he has been really good. So good in fact I randomly checked his PFF score. 93.2(elite). Well I don't think he has been elite but he has played well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pl ... -amos/9575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I agree. He looks to have settled in to the SS role. Hopefully the next scheme doesn't set him back at it.
wab
Mod

Agreed. I think we have all been pretty vocal about him being a better fit at SS. I know they wanted him at FS because of his speed, but he's just a better fit on the other side.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

That is true wab, but at the time they had few options.

A Jackson / Amos backfield can cover a lot of ground. In such a shit year, can you believe they might have fixed a position group that has been plagued sense Mike Brown.
Gaytoe
Journeyman

Oddly enough the top 3 safeties according to PFF are from the NFC North.

1. Harrison Smith
2. Amos
3. Glover Quin

Wonder how much worse these guys would rank if Rodgers didn't get hurt..
wab
Mod

Gaytoe wrote:Oddly enough the top 3 safeties according to PFF are from the NFC North.

1. Harrison Smith
2. Amos
3. Glover Quin

Wonder how much worse these guys would rank if Rodgers didn't get hurt..
Amos was rated pretty highly even before Rodgers went down.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Wow, it's amazing how well players play when you put them in the right position. The dude was a prototypical SS when we drafted hit, yet they insisted on playing him at FS. Go figure.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

mmmc_35 wrote:That is true wab, but at the time they had few options.

A Jackson / Amos backfield can cover a lot of ground. In such a shit year, can you believe they might have fixed a position group that has been plagued sense Mike Brown.
Great point. I do hope that it's fixed as that helps us immensely going forward. That said I'm still not sure how much of it is having a good front 7 as I believe the Conte and Wright tandem was productive for a stretch when they had healthy competent people up front for a short time. It does feel different though.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
malk
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:Wow, it's amazing how well players play when you put them in the right position. The dude was a prototypical SS when we drafted hit, yet they insisted on playing him at FS. Go figure.
He graded well at FS for PFF. I said in another thread I think his style of play, solid, few mistakes, gives him a very high PFF base. The few splash plays he's had this year put him over the top.

I really like Amos at SS and hope Jackson can develop into the ball hawk next to him. I'll be very interested to see what extension we offer him in the off season.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Wounded Bear
MVP

malk wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:Wow, it's amazing how well players play when you put them in the right position. The dude was a prototypical SS when we drafted hit, yet they insisted on playing him at FS. Go figure.
He graded well at FS for PFF. I said in another thread I think his style of play, solid, few mistakes, gives him a very high PFF base. The few splash plays he's had this year put him over the top.

I really like Amos at SS and hope Jackson can develop into the ball hawk next to him. I'll be very interested to see what extension we offer him in the off season.
My description of Amos when he was playing Free Safety was "solid, yet unspectacular," so I didn't mind him at FS, but he definitely wasn't the type of "playmaker" you would want at Free Safety. Furthermore, if Eddie Jackson gets hurt, I am completely comfortable with Amos playing at that position since he doesn't seem to make many egregious errors in coverage, etc.

BUT, to me, he seemed like he was much more suited for the Strong Safety position and that seems to be proving itself out (which is nice because I am often wrong, but when I'm right, I like to mention it and celebrate it :wave:).
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
malk
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:
malk wrote:

My description of Amos when he was playing Free Safety was "solid, yet unspectacular," so I didn't mind him at FS, but he definitely wasn't the type of "playmaker" you would want at Free Safety. Furthermore, if Eddie Jackson gets hurt, I am completely comfortable with Amos playing at that position since he doesn't seem to make many egregious errors in coverage, etc.

BUT, to me, he seemed like he was much more suited for the Strong Safety position and that seems to be proving itself out (which is nice because I am often wrong, but when I'm right, I like to mention it and celebrate it :wave:).
I can't argue with that and the flexibility is a definite plus. I've also got a half baked theory about interceptions where I prefer as close to lock down DBs as possible who don't get many turnovers. I think most box score stats are overrated, particularly in contract negotiations, so I prefer the player that allows few completions all season over the guy that does the same (or worse) whilst getting a few more splash plays and a boatload more cash.

Over the past five years the interception leader has averaged 7.8 interceptions per year. Less than 8 impact plays a year. The only one who got 9 was Tim Jennings in 2012 who had a nice year but wasn't a top DB even then.

Gone off on a tangent there a bit. Suffice to say I'm happy with Amos as SS.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
ysleblanc
MVP

I think at this point you can consider Amos a starting safety. I think Jackson is at that level also with a bit more upside. that's not to say that they can't add in the off season but they have Demps at 4.33M, I wonder what they will do with him, having only 667k dead money. He may get a look if they activate him from IR. Do Bush and Hall have a future going forward?

I think they cut Demps, then they might turn around and look to sign a cheaper depth guy with experience in free agency. Good news is, the position looks A LOT more solid than 10-12 months ago.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

please dont bump a player's thread. i legit assumed when i saw this topic active that adrian was going on IR.