La Canfora: Fox in the hot seat, Fangio in "high demand"

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jack ... -hot-seat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Fox, Bears: The next two coaches I am going to list are doing great work in a lot of ways. They have teams with not much talent in some key spots, who are playing very hard, and staying in every game and who actually should have even more wins than they have … but given the realities of their situations coming into the season, it's not going to be enough. The Bears defense is playing out of its mind with Vic Fangio leading that unit (more on that below) and won some games with raw rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, but the rumblings about imminent change in Chicago are strong. Fox has nothing to be ashamed of at 3-5 with this team, but even if they duplicate that record in the second half I foresee changes here after two already-lean years in Chicago.

The most coveted free agent in 2018 might not be a player. It might be Fangio. The Bears defense, with precious little talent and an offense that scores almost no points and which almost never plays with the lead, continues to play out of its minds. And Fangio, long considered one of the top defensive minds around, is out of contract at season's end, I'm told. He'll get a look or two at a head coaching job, I figure. And if nothing else will be sought after to join many an existing or new staff (if his old buddy Jim Harbaugh leaves Ann Arbor to put the band back together, don't think for a second he wouldn't want Fangio riding shotgun).

The Bears gave up a few big runs, but also forced repeated turnovers to stall and stick with the vaunted Saints offense. They held Drew Brees without a touchdown pass despite having a secondary most football fans couldn't name. His charges played with verve and gusto until the final whistle and they continue swarming people every week. His work has been nothing short of phenomenal.
wab
Mod

How Bears-y. They have a guy who should be in the running for DPOY, they have one of the better young defensive backfields in the NFL, and a few talented LBs...and it'll all get shit on. Because Bears.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:How Bears-y. They have a guy who should be in the running for DPOY, they have one of the better young defensive backfields in the NFL, and a few talented LBs...and it'll all get shit on. Because Bears.

so sad .... so very likely

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Why would Fangio not be on the same contract duration as Fox????? WTH??
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Coordinators generally aren't.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Fox got a 4-year deal. Fangio got a 3-year.
-Shu
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This could be a nightmare in the making. :scared:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

La Canfora is worthless. Yes Fangio is good but stating this defence has "precious little talent" is just bad reporting. Hicks, Goldman, McPhee, Floyd, Trevathan. That's five of the front 7 that are at least good players. The DBs might not be star names but they aren't bad.

Absolute oxygen thief.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

La Canfora is a fucking hack, and his qualifiers of "I'm told, I figure" just further justify that he knows nothing.

Shit man, any one of us could say Fox may get fired if the team doesn't win more games and Fangio's defense is playing well so he might get a look at a head coaching job.

I mean fucking duh.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Promote Fangio to Head Coach, and let him keep/hire who he wants for coordinators.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:La Canfora is a fucking hack, and his qualifiers of "I'm told, I figure" just further justify that he knows nothing.

Shit man, any one of us could say Fox may get fired if the team doesn't win more games and Fangio's defense is playing well so he might get a look at a head coaching job.

I mean fucking duh.
Editor: Hey Jason, you are an article short this week.
La Confora: OK, gimme 5 minutes...
UOK
Site Admin

I feel gross posting this since it's typical La Canfora vomit, but whatever. It's something to yap about.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I scoff at "precious little talent." Our d line has two legit guys that would start and be standouts on any team in the league, and our linebackers have several playmakers. The db's are the real surprise, but the front 7 is pretty strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BR0D1E86
MVP

Side note, if Fangio leaves I'll be f-ing mortified if we bring back our buffoon of a head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm all about prying Jim Harbaugh away from Michigan and making him the HC and we can retain Fangio in the process I'll bet.
Never Die Easy
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:I'm all about prying Jim Harbaugh away from Michigan and making him the HC and we can retain Fangio in the process I'll bet.
I may die if that happens.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:I'm all about prying Jim Harbaugh away from Michigan and making him the HC and we can retain Fangio in the process I'll bet.
That would be unbelievable. Not sure that will happen though. Someone said that The Bears are his dream job.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
That would be unbelievable. Not sure that will happen though. Someone said that The Bears are his dream job.

:) Lots of good stuff here as usual but these are the best thoughts I've read in a while, thank you very much.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Have read nowhere where the actual quote came from Harbaugh. It seems as if an NFL analyst is stating it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... dream-job/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

More from this story:

http://sportsmockery.com/2017/05/jim-ha ... ears-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
botfly10
Player of the Month

Why hasn't Fangio been offered HC yet? That guy has been fielding legit defenses for years and years. It has always confused me that nobody has given him a shot.
Adipost
MVP

botfly10 wrote:Why hasn't Fangio been offered HC yet? That guy has been fielding legit defenses for years and years. It has always confused me that nobody has given him a shot.
It’s because of his personality and unfiltered comments he makes, like the one contradicting Fox aboot McFear right before the season.
GSH
MVP

id take Fangio as HC if it meant keeping him at halas hall, but harbaugh and him together in chicago would be sweet. Nice things dont happen to bears fans though, so i half expect them to fire fox and pick up some no name who used to carry pace's coffee in new orleans.

Gruden maybe?
Wounded Bear
MVP

I don't mind Gruden. Pair him up with Fangio or one of the Ryan boys, I'd be okay with that. I think he'd be a good influence on the Trubs.

I wouldn't mind kicking Josh McDaniels' tires either. He's very good at customizing plays to accommodate the talent he has in hand. I thought he did a great job with Orton in Denver.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

How long has Gruden been out of coaching now? No thanks.

We need a young OC to grow with Trubisky and Pace for sustained success.
beardownbilly
Journeyman

I'm totally resigned to losing Fangio after this season, he wanted to go back to California after last season when the 9ers requested permission to speak to him but the Bears refused.
And I'm pretty sure his girlfriend still lives in San Francisco or somewhere round there, (I don't think she ever moved to Chicago), and they manage a long distance relationship so I guess he'll be back there sooner rather than later.

I'm hopeful but deep down I have this harbouring feeling the Bears will somehow f@*k it all up, and we'll probably end up hiring someone who wants to move to a 4-3 or promoting some Jim Tomsula wannabe from in-house who is out of their depth.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Stop with the John Gruden crap. He's not coming back, and he's been out of it too long. The only Gruden that would be coming to Chicago would be his brother Jay.

If you want to post your hopes on a pipe dream, think about John Harbaugh coaching MT. Look what he did with Colin Kaepernick. He was never the same QB after Harbaugh left SF.
wab
Mod

Honestly, unless the Bears can get Harbaugh they should just Extend everyone.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Honestly, unless the Bears can get Harbaugh they should just Extend everyone.
I'm sort of on that same train. I am not a Fox fan. I think he's waaayyy too conservative. And I would love to have one of the younger, successful OC's out there as a HC. But ultimately this needs to be about MT, and his development. Starting a revolving door of HC's, and OC's, only gets us another Jay Cutler.
wab
Mod

I just want to see if some sort of continuity will help. Oh, and a guy that can catch the ball.