Top 10 cheap MVPs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Howard doesn't seem to be finding those little gaps to slide through as often as he did last year.
Because they don't exist with 11 in the box :P
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Howard doesn't seem to be finding those little gaps to slide through as often as he did last year.
Because they don't exist with 11 in the box :P
An exaggeration, but the point is right on. DCs aren't stupid. They know Howard is far and away our biggest offensive threat. So they're stacking up to take him away. You see it a lot.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:yes, if you sit and watch a play frame by frame in super duper slo-mo, you may actually be able to discern something of use not seen at real speed ... but, so what? the sport is simply not meant for that level of scrutiny in order to determine if a football play is in fact a successful football play ... makes the replay, as well as PFF's metrics, not pass the eye test
Not really sure what you're trying to say. I guess coaches shouldn't watch film to evaluate players either?

Fans don't like PFF, because it destroys a lot of their preconceived notions about their favorite, or least favorite players. Which are often derived off of hype, what they mistakenly saw on a TV angle... etc...

Players don't like PFF, for the same reason baseball players originally hated the saber metric movement in baseball. Athletes hate criticism from non-athletes, or anything that exposes their short-comings.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Richie wrote:
Boris13c wrote:yes, if you sit and watch a play frame by frame in super duper slo-mo, you may actually be able to discern something of use not seen at real speed ... but, so what? the sport is simply not meant for that level of scrutiny in order to determine if a football play is in fact a successful football play ... makes the replay, as well as PFF's metrics, not pass the eye test
Not really sure what you're trying to say. I guess coaches shouldn't watch film to evaluate players either?

Fans don't like PFF, because it destroys a lot of their preconceived notions about their favorite, or least favorite players. Which are often derived off of hype, what they mistakenly saw on a TV angle... etc...

Players don't like PFF, for the same reason baseball players originally hated the saber metric movement in baseball. Athletes hate criticism from non-athletes, or anything that exposes their short-comings.
I think he's saying that sometimes PFF focuses on minutia that doesn't really matter when it comes to a player's performance in a game.

With that said, I'm a fan of their scientific approach. But the beauty of science is the more data received, the more it's able to correct or refine itself. I would bet PFF is constantly reevaluating their evaluation formulas.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:

not my point at all

in my opinion, many of the stats and ratings that come out of PFF after a game simply don't pass the eye test of what we saw during the game ... I can use Leno as a good example ... in a couple of games he seemed to be a turnstyle in important situations, and a leading contributor to offensive drives coming to a halt ... yet on the next grade out, he scored out reasonably well which puzzled me

can even use Aaron Rodgers on a day he had an almost perfect day and graded out poorly on PFF

so to me, if technical grades don't seem to jibe with game day actions and results, what's the point?

Wounded Bear wrote:I think he's saying that sometimes PFF focuses on minutia that doesn't really matter when it comes to a player's performance in a game.
yes

Wounded Bear wrote:With that said, I'm a fan of their scientific approach. But the beauty of science is the more data received, the more it's able to correct or refine itself. I would bet PFF is constantly reevaluating their evaluation formulas.
I have no problem with the scientific approach, but I do not think it adequately reflects the player's contribution on a given game day
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

32 NFL observations, Week 9
By Nathan Jahnke • Nov 9, 2017

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ons-week-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chicago Bears: In Adrian Amos’ last two games he has allowed four catches. Those passes went for a combined -5 yards. That is the fewest passing yards allowed by any defensive player who has allowed four or more catches in a two game stretch over the 12 years we have data for.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:32 NFL observations, Week 9
By Nathan Jahnke • Nov 9, 2017

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ons-week-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chicago Bears: In Adrian Amos’ last two games he has allowed four catches. Those passes went for a combined -5 yards. That is the fewest passing yards allowed by any defensive player who has allowed four or more catches in a two game stretch over the 12 years we have data for.

impressive

but what if the reason he had so few passes going his way was more due to other teams finding softer spots in the Bears defense to go at? that would make his stats still impressive, but they would be impressive not necessarily because of him

so while these stat chats are interesting, they don't always tell the story of how the games actually went

all that said, I am not dogging or insulting Amos ... I'm happy he is doing well and getting some recognition ... I'm just not ready to name him the next Gary Fencik just yet
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin