Colts release CB Vontae Davis

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Yeah, I probably sign this guy.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Yeah, I probably sign this guy.

except for the fact he may be out a while :

Vontae Davis Reportedly Needs Season-Ending Surgery to Fix Groin Injury
Indianapolis Colts cornerback Vontae Davis reportedly needs season-ending surgery on his injured groin after consulting with independent physicians.

Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star reported the news.

Davis, 29, sounded off on Colts coach Chuck Pagano and the organization Wednesday after not traveling with the team for its game against the Houston Texans last week.

"I've been here six years," Davis told reporters. "We've had similar situations where I played hurt. These things happen. And I never got confronted and (no one) said, 'Your play has slipped.' Nothing. I was playing at a level that was acceptable.

"But now, my play slips and this? They should have come to me way earlier and said, 'Vontae, you're not yourself. You're not playing well.' I told the trainers my groin was not responding."

Davis said Pagano not informing him of the benching initially rubbed him the wrong way.

"It should be more about the respect. I'm a professional," Davis said. "I've been in (the league) long enough. When I look at the situation, I feel like there was no respect. Knowing Chuck, I figured it would come from him. It really bothered me."
so he tells the team he is having physical issues and his groin injury is not responding ... the team benches him and cites poor play, then cuts him ... and now it appears the player was justified in saying he was in fact injured

are the Colts trying to become the Browns?

Colts release injured Vontae Davis a week after benching corner for poor play
A week after the Colts placed franchise quarterback Andrew Luck on injured reserve, another of the team's best players appeared set to join him. Cornerback Vontae Davis needs season-ending surgery on a lingering groin injury, reports the Indianapolis Star's Stephen Holder. But that is no longer the organization's problem because on Thursday morning the Colts released Davis, who was in the final year of his contract.

We have released CB Vontae Davis. pic.twitter.com/0gENE5JItj
— Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) November 9, 2017

The news comes days after coach Chuck Pagano benched Davis for poor play -- which he said had nothing to do with Davis' health. On Wednesday, Davis told reporters his side of the story.

"It was a disagreement [between me and the team] because I feel like I was demoted because of my health instead of my ability," Davis said. "That's the disagreement. The agreement is I take full responsibility."
isn't there a rule about releasing injured players?

or are the Colts claiming it was performance rather than injury related a way to get around that?
Last edited by Boris13c on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I mean more like going into next season or in a few weeks if he's not as injured as he's letting on.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
isn't there a rule about releasing injured players?

or are the Colts claiming it was performance rather than injury related a way to get around that?
yes
and
yes
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:isn't there a rule about releasing injured players?
Yes. You can't just outright release a guy who is hurt. But, you can release a guy and designate him "injured", and if he clears waivers then he reverts to injured reserve.
Boris13c wrote:or are the Colts claiming it was performance rather than injury related a way to get around that?
That's what they are claiming, but the Colts are pretty stupid, so Davis will likely file a grievance and win.