Why won't coaches let Tru call an audible?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

PapaDongo
Practice Squad

So many stacked boxes but Tru ain't checking into pass plays and it's gotta be the coaches, right? I mean, Tru has to at least have some sort of quick slant or rollout he can check into as a goto play for these stacked boxes, right? Makes no sense and I think they are treating games like practice but Tru is supposed to be smart and a quick learner, why not throw a couple of options at least for him to audible like a real NFL qb?
G08
Hall of Famer

They do let him make checks, etc.

You don't have to create new threads for every thought you have.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
PapaDongo
Practice Squad

G08 wrote:They do let him.

You don't have to create new threads for every thought you have.
If they let him why isn't he calling them?

You don't have to post in a thread if it makes you upset there's a new thread.
PapaDongo
Practice Squad

Maybe someone who likes to talk football can clear this up? Any examples of checks out of bad run sets? Adipost?
UOK
Site Admin

1. Stop posting in a confrontational manner and being a thorny poster in general, please.

2. Trubisky is allowed to make checks and audibles at the line, but he's also a greenhorn who needs to get used to making pre-snap reads and being a field general.
wab
Mod

He has the leeway, but I'd guess he's not super comfortable making pre snap reads. He has made a few run-to-run audibles.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He has the leeway, but I'd guess he's not super comfortable making pre snap reads. He has made a few run-to-run audibles.

I don't know how involved the audible system they have for Trubisky is, but I do know the Bears offense seems to be built to play into the strength of the defense rather than exploit any defensive weakness

case in point against Goon Bay - Bears break the huddle and see 9 men in the box to crush the run on 1st down, with a 10th creeping into the picture ... Goon Bay tries that against a more experienced QB with a more flexible audible system, and that turns into a play action pass for a 1st down and possibly more

coming to the line and seeing 9-10 in the box and your only option is to check to a different run to go right into the teeth of it does not allow the offense to exploit the weakness of the defense on that play and pretty much ensures a second and long where the defense will play the pass to help you to 3rd and long

go back and watch any Bears game this year and you will see this play out again and again

I realize Trubisky is a rookie, but he has the arm to throw the damn ball, so it is up to the coaches to come up with plays to allow him to do that, especially in situations where the defense is most vulnerable to it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hematite
Player of the Month

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:He has the leeway, but I'd guess he's not super comfortable making pre snap reads. He has made a few run-to-run audibles.

I don't know how involved the audible system they have for Trubisky is, but I do know the Bears offense seems to be built to play into the strength of the defense rather than exploit any defensive weakness

case in point against Goon Bay - Bears break the huddle and see 9 men in the box to crush the run on 1st down, with a 10th creeping into the picture ... Goon Bay tries that against a more experienced QB with a more flexible audible system, and that turns into a play action pass for a 1st down and possibly more

coming to the line and seeing 9-10 in the box and your only option is to check to a different run to go right into the teeth of it does not allow the offense to exploit the weakness of the defense on that play and pretty much ensures a second and long where the defense will play the pass to help you to 3rd and long

go back and watch any Bears game this year and you will see this play out again and again

I realize Trubisky is a rookie, but he has the arm to throw the damn ball, so it is up to the coaches to come up with plays to allow him to do that, especially in situations where the defense is most vulnerable to it
RPO's should have been practiced the whole Bye week and become a staple for this offense. Secondly, running out of shot gun, which we did a lot last year, with the RPO play would also be helpful.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Hematite wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

RPO's should have been practiced the whole Bye week and become a staple for this offense. Secondly, running out of shot gun, which we did a lot last year, with the RPO play would also be helpful.
It's friggin mind boggling how little shotgun we're using this season, especially when you consider Trubisky's comfort level with it, and the fact that Howard ran for something like 6.5 or 7 ypc out of the shotgun last season.

I haven't seen the stats in a couple weeks, but we were lining up in the shotgun at about half the frequency this year compared to last year.

It's intentionally handicapping yourself by playing away from what you do well and building the game plan around your weaknesses.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

We ran more shotgun under Glennon than we have with Trubisky which I just can't grasp.
PapaDongo
Practice Squad

Agree about the shotgun, disagree about the audible. Watched every single post game presser and not once did Tru say anything about checking from run to pass. Not a single time.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:We ran more shotgun under Glennon than we have with Trubisky which I just can't grasp.
Its an easy explanation. They are trying to get Trubisky more time practicing taking the ball from under center, and believe in his athleticism to make the 3-5-7 step drop. The coaching staff discovered what they had in Glennon, and realized he couldn't drop 5 steps before he either, 1) tripped, or 2) got sacked. So they had him play out of the gun more, just to give him a fighting chance. Which didn't work...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fox talks about Trubisky's audibling around the 8 min mark. Says he has the flexibility to do it just not 100% of the time.
Never Die Easy
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:

Fox talks about Trubisky's audibling around the 8 min mark. Says he has the flexibility to do it just not 100% of the time.
So knowing Fox he can probably only audible from run left to run right.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:

pretty sure that is probably an accurate guess

I will offer a simple 1st and 10 play as an example, where the Packers had 9 men stacked to stop the run, with a 10th creeping up prior to the snap ... the Bears ran right into the teeth of it for a 1 yard gain

I think Trubisky is smart enough that if he had a run/pass audible option he would have checked to a pass with the defensive front the Packers presented ... instead he handed off on a run to the right (probably a check from a run to the left)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:

Nice. :) :frustrated:
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:

Nice. :) :frustrated:
I am sure Fox has the audible in play for him to just kneel down all the time.
botfly10
Player of the Month

because then he would throw it on first down sometimes.