View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:13 pm 
MVP

Reputation point: 13
Here's something I'd be telling him...

On any drop back, know that your receivers aren't going to beat the #1 CBs and not the #2s mostly. So in your pre-snap, identify where the #1s are and the coverage if you can or make your best guess and whichever WR is going to be covered by the #1 (unless it's a rub route that would create space), just don't even bother looking that way. Attack the 2's 3's and other defenders. That'll give you fewer options to process.

What do you think of that?

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm 
Player of the Month

Reputation point: 4
Mikefive wrote:

On any drop back, know that your receivers aren't going to beat the #1 CBs and not the #2s mostly. So in your pre-snap, identify where the #1s are and the coverage if you can or make your best guess and whichever WR is going to be covered by the #1 (unless it's a rub route that would create space), just don't even bother looking that way. Attack the 2's 3's and other defenders. That'll give you fewer options to process.

I would think he should do reads based on the defense and situation and what has been studied on film. Also despite the 13 game meme being repeated ad nauseam he knows more about reading a defense than any of us smucks on this board.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm 
MVP

Reputation point: 3
I think that's a terrible fan inspired idea. No coach is going to tell TRU that. I would say the play called dictates his progression. He should follow through that particular plays natural progression. Then read the defense accordingly. When you start to predetermine what you're going to do, trouble will soon follow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 pm 
Hall of Famer

Reputation point: 108
Mikefive wrote:

I disagree, as your scenario would have him dropping back and automatically dismissing 1 side of the field from consideration and per-determining where he is going to go with the ball

he needs to not only learn proper pre-snap reads, but also have the freedom to act on those reads ("hmmmm ... 10 men up for the run ... time to fake this run and go deep")

we can see by watching the games he does not have that freedom yet because he continues to hand off into the teeth of 8 - 10 man fronts on first down for 2 yards or no gain

and idiot Dowell, who should be helping him with his play calls, is not helping him

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm 
MVP

Funkster wrote:
I think that's a terrible fan inspired idea. No coach is going to tell TRU that. I would say the play called dictates his progression. He should follow through that particular plays natural progression. Then read the defense accordingly. When you start to predetermine what you're going to do, trouble will soon follow.
I guess I didn't explain myself thoroughly enough because people are making assumptions that are not intended. Of course, read the defense and adjust to that. And of course, do progressions according to the play call.

Let me modify what I said earlier with the following statement. Run plays and read defenses as you have been taught with the simple exception... Don't throw against the #1 CBs, because our team of #3 WRs won't be able to beat them.

By the way... Other teams do that all the time to us. How often do you see throws toward Amukamara compared to Fuller? But it's a dumb idea because I said it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 pm 
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
I disagree, as your scenario would have him dropping back and automatically dismissing 1 side of the field from consideration and per-determining where he is going to go with the ball
You're not thinking thru what I said. If you have the outside guy going deep and another short crosser going to the same side, you figure who the #1 is covering and the other WR is a progression option. Same with a bunch formation. You take the #1 guy out of the picture and go thru the other options.

So you have 4 guys going out and one of those is covered by #1. So you progress thru the other 3. How is that a predetermination?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm 
Pro Bowler

Reputation point: 5
Sadly, this is exactly what Glennon was doing. Not bothering with anyone else but just dumping off to the RBs. What is not known, is if the coaches had anything to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm 
MVP

Reputation point: 3
Mikefive wrote:
Funkster wrote:
I guess I didn't explain myself thoroughly enough because people are making assumptions that are not intended. Of course, read the defense and adjust to that. And of course, do progressions according to the play call.

Let me modify what I said earlier with the following statement. Run plays and read defenses as you have been taught with the simple exception... Don't throw against the #1 CBs, because our team of #3 WRs won't be able to beat them.

By the way... Other teams do that all the time to us. How often do you see throws toward Amukamara compared to Fuller? But it's a dumb idea because I said it?

Thanks for clearing up what you're talking about. I still don't think you want to teach your rookie QB bad habits, which is what ignoring a side is. Just because a QB isn't targeting the #1 side, doesn't necessarily mean he's ignoring it. He is simply looking for indicators and moving on. I see what you're saying but it boils down to teaching your rookie QB good habits and what you're suggesting isn't sound fundamentally.

To add, the real problem is better play calling that gets him into a rhythm. He is holding the ball too long and is not throwing on time. I feel getting him into a rhythm early on will help out everything from his mechanics to the O-line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm 
MVP

46Blitz wrote:
Sadly, this is exactly what Glennon was doing. Not bothering with anyone else but just dumping off to the RBs. What is not known, is if the coaches had anything to do with it.
So you're saying that what I said above was just throw to the RBs?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm 
MVP

Funkster wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Funkster wrote:

Thanks for clearing up what you're talking about. I still don't think you want to teach your rookie QB bad habits, which is what ignoring a side is. Just because a QB isn't targeting the #1 side, doesn't necessarily mean he's ignoring it. He is simply looking for indicators and moving on. I see what you're saying but it boils down to teaching your rookie QB good habits and what you're suggesting isn't sound fundamentally.

To add, the real problem is better play calling that gets him into a rhythm. He is holding the ball too long and is not throwing on time. I feel getting him into a rhythm early on will help out everything from his mechanics to the O-line.
Here's another part of my thinking... Yes, it's not optimal. But in my view, Biscuit isn't doing a good job with 4-5 reads right now. So to reduce that number by 1 makes it easier for him by reducing the number AND taking a mismatch out of the picture.

You want Loggains to make his playcalling to get Biscuit into a rhythm. I like that too. But do you think that leopard is going to change his spots? Also, you rightly dislike that he holds the ball too long. But won't having fewer reads help him hold the ball less?