2018 Free Agency: WRs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Thought I'd get this thread jump-started since, for me anyway, the season is pretty much over and I'm thinking about next off-season.

Should be some interesting names in the UFA market... doubt any of these dudes will be franchise tagged.

Anyone jump out at you? I see a few that I wouldn't mind bringing into Chicago (I'm focusing on youth and up-side... players that can learn and grow with Mitch and our new offense).

Allen Robinson (I want this guy in Chicago, badly. I don't care that he's coming off a torn ACL)
Sammy Watkins (talented kid... is he a "healthier" Kevin White?)
Dontrelle Inman (solid #4 WR)
Jordan Matthews (underproductive, IMO... might look good in Chicago)
Davante Adams (a bit overrated in my football world, but it would hurt the assholes up north)
Donte Moncrief
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
MoFugger
Head Coach

Robinson for sure, and I think you drastically underrate Inman

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I third Robinson for sure. But at what price tag? Will he get franchised?

Did you ignore Alshon Jeffery on purpose? :-p
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Qunicy Enunwa, Tyrell Williams, Brandon Coleman and Willie Snead are RFA's that might be worth an offer depending on their tender.

If we want a deep threat to replace White, then Taylor Gabriel makes sense from Atlanta...they only have 7.5 million in estimated cap space so we should be able to outbid them.

Marquise Lee is showing some moxy now also.

A sneaking receiving FA that will be out there is Jerik McKinnon, especially if Cunningham walks.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:I third Robinson for sure. But at what price tag? Will he get franchised?

I loved Jeffery dating back to his days at South Carolina... I just don't see him coming back here.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Funny, I was just looking this up earlier today....

As long as Inman does well for the remaining part of the season, I sign him in a heartbeat.

Personally, I would take a shot at M Lee. And draft WR.

Merideth
Lee
Inman
Wright
Rookie
(And whoever their ST hard-on is).
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I third Robinson for sure. But at what price tag? Will he get franchised?

I loved Jeffery dating back to his days at South Carolina... I just don't see him coming back here.
I second that, but aint gonna happen... :(
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

One thing that nobody's mentioned here is that (at least IMO) Cameron Meredith has not demonstrated that he's a #1 WR. Hopes that Kevin White is a #1 after 3 broken bones and a reconstructed leg/ankle connection is a pipe dream. We simply don't have that #1 guy. And having a true #1 would help out Biscuit immensely. We NEED that desperately and unless we can find one somewhere, we'll continue to be the team with the young QB who lacks receivers who can beat you.

Ryan Pace is heading into year 4 and the jig is up now, new coach or no new coach. The goal MUST be playoffs. And that's going to be a tough call with a QB hitting week 1 at his 13th NFL start, a #2, White and the rest of the WR group we have. We must shoot for the moon at WR this offseason. Or we may be shooting the moon on offense.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

I think that's why I'd like to make a splash in FA (Watkins or Robinson), bring Meredith back and hedge him with Inman, rely on Kevin White as NOTHING but a #4, and draft a WR in round 2.

1. Watkins/Robinson
2. Meredith/Inman
3. Rookie/White
4. White

In my perfect world:
1. Robinson
2. Meredith
3. Rookie
4. White
5. Inman
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I forgot that Meredith is a FA. I assumed that he would be coming back.

Meredith paired with most of the guys I listed above and another guy in the slot would give us a pretty good wr corps.

I also assume that we'll draft someone in rounds 2-3 depending on who's there.

I've been a Leno apologist of sorts but this year might be the year to take the best LT there is in the 1st.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Pace trusts Leno to man the left side for at least the next 3 years
Adipost
MVP

Sign Watkins and draft a speedy receiver in the 2nd round (Christian Kirk).
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:Sign Watkins and draft a speedy receiver in the 2nd round (Christian Kirk).
I'm living in fantasy land but could you imagine Watkins on one side and a healthy, "good" Kevin White on the other?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Robinson will likely be more expensive then Pace is willing to pay.

But

Robinson
Meredith
Inman
DRAFT PICK
McBride

This seems like a good group to me
G08
Hall of Famer

I worry with Robinson coming off a torn ACL... will Pace not even consider him? By all accounts it was a clean tear and he had surgery on it early enough in September that he should be 100% for training camp.

24 year old kid with a 1400 yard 14 TD season under his belt... tough to not want to make a run at that.

Otherwise I could see pace going after a Jordan Matthews, bringing Cameron Meredith back, and drafting a WR in round 2.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Meredith is a RFA, not a FA. He'll be back 100% for sure.

malk
Head Coach

No love for Kendall Wright?

In Meredith and Inman we've could have a couple of solid #3s who you hope can step up to be #2s then Wright isn't a bad slot player. Bring in a free agent who can top the group and White as #5 and our corps looks a lot better pretty quickly.

Got to love some hope!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:One thing that nobody's mentioned here is that (at least IMO) Cameron Meredith has not demonstrated that he's a #1 WR. Hopes that Kevin White is a #1 after 3 broken bones and a reconstructed leg/ankle connection is a pipe dream. We simply don't have that #1 guy. And having a true #1 would help out Biscuit immensely. We NEED that desperately and unless we can find one somewhere, we'll continue to be the team with the young QB who lacks receivers who can beat you.

Ryan Pace is heading into year 4 and the jig is up now, new coach or no new coach. The goal MUST be playoffs. And that's going to be a tough call with a QB hitting week 1 at his 13th NFL start, a #2, White and the rest of the WR group we have. We must shoot for the moon at WR this offseason. Or we may be shooting the moon on offense.
I don't think that's true.
I think a new HC and staff are coming.
And there's no way anyone decent comes if they have any belief at all that the guy who hired them is on the hotseat from the moment they arrive.
I think ownership will have to give a very strong vote of confidence, if not an absolute public guarantee that Pace is around 2 more years, minimum. And probably a 1-2 yr extension (to the 2 still in effect) to go with that.

With all of that being the context, Pace yr 4/new staff yr 1 isn't a "playoff or else" scenario.

That said, you can't argue that they have a #1 or don't need WR help badly.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:No love for Kendall Wright?

In Meredith and Inman we've could have a couple of solid #3s who you hope can step up to be #2s then Wright isn't a bad slot player. Bring in a free agent who can top the group and White as #5 and our corps looks a lot better pretty quickly.

Got to love some hope!
I go back and fourth on him... he seems like just a decent slot guy and that's it. Meredith has the ability to play in the slot so ostensibly he could be our WR3 if we wanted to go that route.

I sincerely hope we get one of Sammy Watkins/Allen Robinson.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:

Got to love some hope!
I go back and fourth on him... he seems like just a decent slot guy and that's it. Meredith has the ability to play in the slot so ostensibly he could be our WR3 if we wanted to go that route.

According to the next gen stats separation statistic, Meredith graded out as a top 10 slot receiver last year and one of the worst receivers when split out wide. I think you keep him in the slot where he dominated.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

Thank you! I think the guy has played solidly all things considered, I’d definitely work Wright into this scenario.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Whoever said that Inman is a #4 isn't giving him enough credit. Two things I really like about Inman, which are hard to teach. He runs good routes, and he is a natural hands catcher. Really does a great job of securing the ball away from his body. I would take him as a #2 or #3 all day long.
malk
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:

Got to love some hope!

According to the next gen stats separation statistic, Meredith graded out as a top 10 slot receiver last year and one of the worst receivers when split out wide. I think you keep him in the slot where he dominated.
Fair point. I'd be happy with FA #1, Inman #2 and Meredith in the slot as #3. I still think there's room for Wright on a cheap deal as another slot playing limited snaps, especially as Meredith was/is raw enough that he could still feasibly improve out wide.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BR0D1E86
MVP

donkeykong wrote:
Thank you! I think the guy has played solidly all things considered, I’d definitely work Wright into this scenario.
I’d like to bring him or Inman back. Probably whichever is cheaper on a 3 year deal.

Then Merideth, hopefully a high priced free agent and a 1st or 2nd round pick. The other pick used on an edge rusher, hopefully.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

Adipost wrote:Sign Watkins and draft a speedy receiver in the 2nd round (Christian Kirk).

S.Watkins has a huge history of injuries. Bears fans would be chasing R.Pace with pitch forks the minute he gets injured and i'm pretty sure Pace has had enough of that, or at least i hope he has. The WR that i'd want him to take a chance on that was injured last year is A.Robinson. Players have shown that they come back pretty good from ACL injuries these days and some come back even stronger and if i'm right, i don't think A.Rob has any kind of history with injuries.

Other WR's i'd be interested in are:

D.Adams
J.Landry
P.Richardson
M.Lee
Jaron Brown
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

donkeykong wrote:
Meh.
If he'll come cheap to compete for a 5/6 spot and a chance to play slot if Cam isn't ready early on, fine.
If not, won't worry about it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Got to love some hope!
Wright is my dude but I don't think he's anything special. 28 years old and he doesn't bring the juice I want out of a slot receiver... I think we can upgrade.

Inman I think is getting a bit overrated here because of how awful our WRs really are. There's a reason he was riding the pine in San Diego; there were better players in front of him.

I like him fine as a #2, but I love him as a #4/depth.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:

Got to love some hope!
Wright is my dude but I don't think he's anything special. 28 years old and he doesn't bring the juice I want out of a slot receiver... I think we can upgrade.

Inman I think is getting a bit overrated here because of how awful our WRs really are. There's a reason he was riding the pine in San Diego; there were better players in front of him.

I like him fine as a #2, but I love him as a #4/depth.
X - Sammy Watkins
Z - Christian Kirk (2nd round)
Slot - Cameron Meredith
Bench - Dontrelle Inman (Can play X, Z, and Slot and probably be starter at Z until Kirk learns the playbook)
Adipost
MVP

DaBears70 wrote:

S.Watkins has a huge history of injuries. Bears fans would be chasing R.Pace with pitch forks the minute he gets injured and i'm pretty sure Pace has had enough of that, or at least i hope he has. The WR that i'd want him to take a chance on that was injured last year is A.Robinson. Players have shown that they come back pretty good from ACL injuries these days and some come back even stronger and if i'm right, i don't think A.Rob has any kind of history with injuries.

Other WR's i'd be interested in are:

D.Adams
J.Landry
P.Richardson
M.Lee
Jaron Brown
LMAO!!! You knock on Watkins for being injury prone and then drool over a WR coming off of an ACL tear.

Can you injure the other knee during ACL surgery recovery? There was an interesting study presented at the American Academy of Orthopedic Sports Medicine last week that got little press. A physical therapist and colleagues studied the incidence rate of a second ACL injury in the 2 years following ACL reconstruction surgery and return to sports in a young, active population. They looked at both re-tear of the graft and whether the non-operated side had an injury during recovery. In their prospective study, the researchers enrolled 78 young patients (59 women, 19 men, aged 10 years to 25 years) who underwent ACL surgery and returned to a sport and compared them to 47 healthy, control athletes without a history of ACL problems. Each athlete was followed for injury and data was collected on the time spent playing sports. Paterno and colleagues found 23 patients in the ACL reconstruction group and four athletes in the uninjured group had an ACL injury during the year period. The overall rate of a second ACL injury within 24 months after ACL surgery and return to sports was nearly six times greater than the uninjured group. Overall, 29.5% of athletes had a second ACL injury within 24 months of return-to-sport with 20.5% having a new injury to the other side and 9% having a graft re-tear injury. More women (23.7%) had a new non-surgical side tear than men (10.5%). This begs the question of whether bio mechanical issues with the ACL repair side are leading to more stress on the other knee. I have discussed in the past that ACL repair surgery isn’t like the original equipment in that the grafts go in at a much steeper angle. Is this the cause of all of these second injuries? The ACL is also rich in position sensors that help guide the muscles of the lower body in accurate movement. Does ripping it out surgically get rid of all of that normal position sense and impact the other knee? A February study showed that patients with ACL injury had just as much loss of position sense in their good knee as their ACL injured knee, so what happens on one side seems to impact the other. The upshot? Getting one knee ACL “fixed” surgically appears to markedly increase the chance that the other knee will be injured
Richie
MVP

Davante Adams has endless upside. I would LOVE him here.

Oh, and Inman needs to stay. I think he's certainly starting caliber. Chargers fans were crying a lot about how under-utilized he was.