David Haugh: Tanking Column

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Rooting for Bears to lose for higher pick runs contrary to every competitive instinct, not to mention lowers standards and expectations. Plus, no guarantees they'll draft wisely.
Column: Notion Bears win for losing with higher draft choice more fallacy than fact
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

well its no big secret that if you play to lose, you are setting a real bad habit, especially with a bunch of young players who are on the steep part of the curve

been there, done that
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Last year, I was on the "improved draft position is a plus" side. No more.

We have our future at QB. He needs to learn how to win.

And when you go to FA with 3 wins, we all saw Ryan Pace offer big $$$ to Jeffery and the top FA CBs, only to have them walk away because they don't want to play on a bad team. We need to demonstrate to the marketplace that we are an ascending team that will be looking at a playoff run in 2018. So if you sign with the Bears, you're a team that will be in the hunt.

As it is now, maybe its resignation on my part, but I look at the remaining games as development opportunities for Biscuit, Shaheen and other young players. And if we win, great! If we don't... Oh well, at least we'll get a better draft pick. But given the choice... Win baby!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Yeah, in the past I have been the same way....

Not anymore. I say fight like heck to win every game. It's all full speed practice at this point. As the team knows, they are not going to the playoffs this year. But think most of them know there is much to fight for. Some may be looking for new contracts, some may be trying to move up the depth chart, some may be looking to cement themselves as a carryover starter. But there is so much more to it now and think everyone knows it.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Outside of the browns game we probably will lose them all anyway with all the dam injuries (again).
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Except for today, these are all very winnable games - but also a very injured team who is very capable of losing to weak opponents, too.

5-1 or 2-4 would not surprise me at all, either way.

The Lions game was absolutely perfect for the Bears and was what everyone should be rooting for. Playing well enough to win, but losing due to a minor factor that won't be an issue come 2018.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

David Haugh used to be someone with unique and interesting perspectives ... now he is just a useless wet fart like his colleagues
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
MoFugger
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:David Haugh used to be someone with unique and interesting perspectives ... now he is just a useless wet fart like his colleagues
At least you two have that in common:)

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Last year, I was on the "improved draft position is a plus" side. No more.

And when you go to FA with 3 wins, we all saw Ryan Pace offer big $$$ to Jeffery and the top FA CBs, only to have them walk away because they don't want to play on a bad team. We need to demonstrate to the marketplace that we are an ascending team that will be looking at a playoff run in 2018. So if you sign with the Bears, you're a team that will be in the hunt.

As it is now, maybe its resignation on my part, but I look at the remaining games as development opportunities for Biscuit, Shaheen and other young players. And if we win, great! If we don't... Oh well, at least we'll get a better draft pick. But given the choice... Win baby!
Genuine question, is there any evidence for this? We saw AJ Bouye go to the Bortles led Jaguars for £13.5m whilst we were chasing Longneck the Red. We target him on day one with a little more money and surely he's a Bear and we have a position locked down rather than using $12m on Amukamara and Cooper.

On topic, I'm not down with tanking but I don't think Pace gets a free pass just because of last year's record.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Last year, I was on the "improved draft position is a plus" side. No more.

Genuine question, is there any evidence for this? We saw AJ Bouye go to the Bortles led Jaguars for £13.5m whilst we were chasing Longneck the Red. We target him on day one with a little more money and surely he's a Bear and we have a position locked down rather than using $12m on Amukamara and Cooper.

On topic, I'm not down with tanking but I don't think Pace gets a free pass just because of last year's record.
I believe Pace said this in a press conference after FA has started. Bouye and another CB who I can't remember now were targets and both were offered more by us and declined.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
malk wrote:

I believe Pace said this in a press conference after FA has started. Bouye and another CB who I can't remember now were targets and both were offered more by us and declined.
This is not true. Gilmore was reportedly offended by their offer and the speculation was that Pace offered Bouye 13 mil per. They were also outbid on RT Ricky Wagner. But Pace didn’t make that mistake with Mike Glennon.
malk
Head Coach

Even if he did offer more for Bouye it doesn't say how much more and how it was structured. Nor does it show how committed they were and how effectively they courted him.

E.g. Fly out to Bouye at the first opportunity and offer him 5 years, $70 million with $28m guaranteed in year one. That's from the cap space we gave to Glennon, Cooper and Amukamara minus a bit for replacements for those three. He signs that deal!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
Boris13c wrote:David Haugh used to be someone with unique and interesting perspectives ... now he is just a useless wet fart like his colleagues
At least you two have that in common:)
why you .......

you do realize, on this board, you are one of my colleagues?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin