UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

Do we really know he can't be a HC? I really like what Carmichael Jr. brings to the table. He brings a wealth of experience as a OC and has sat under Payton for a long time. A bonus is he is still young with all that experience. I feel he understand you can't only have an offense in today's NFL and win. At the same time, he understand you need a franchise QB to build around. He has also shown this year he isn't afraid to run the ball, and I personally like that. He knows how to use a scat back like Sproles and a banger like Ingram. The Bears have a similar backfield in Cohen and Howard. His passing attack creates green with scheme. This would help out the Bears receivers a lot. IMO, Carmichael Jr. would be on Pace' short list along with McDaniels. Both candidates could be intrigued by some of the pieces the Bears already have in place.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Flip going back to his HS: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sp ... 64161.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Fixed link.
Last edited by mshu7 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:Do we really know he can't be a HC? I really like what Carmichael Jr. brings to the table. He brings a wealth of experience as a OC and has sat under Payton for a long time. A bonus is he is still young with all that experience. I feel he understand you can't only have an offense in today's NFL and win. At the same time, he understand you need a franchise QB to build around. He has also shown this year he isn't afraid to run the ball, and I personally like that. He knows how to use a scat back like Sproles and a banger like Ingram. The Bears have a similar backfield in Cohen and Howard. His passing attack creates green with scheme. This would help out the Bears receivers a lot. IMO, Carmichael Jr. would be on Pace' short list along with McDaniels. Both candidates could be intrigued by some of the pieces the Bears already have in place.
He's not calling plays this year, though. The years he has called plays, well, calling it pass-crazy would be an understatement.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:Flip going back to his HS: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weather ... 62033.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Link's not working

mshu7
Pro Bowler

G08 wrote:
mshu7 wrote:Flip going back to his HS: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weather ... 62033.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Link's not working
Crap. Try it now.
-Shu
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Adam Caplan had a segment on his podcast, CapCast, where he went over the top coaching candidates around the league. For those interested, I have listed the names he referenced in the comments. He predicts six to nine head coaching jobs will open up this offseason.
The important part of this post is the connection to the Eagles. The transcript for his thoughts on Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo, DC Jim Schwartz, and ST coordinator Dave Fipp are included in this post. One important note is that he did not mention Eagles OC Frank Reich. -
-
On Eagles QB Coach John DeFilippo: “… my understand around the league its that he’ll probably have from four to six offers to be a coordinator, his contract is up … the Eagles blocked [him] last year because he was still under contract, and although he had a verbal agreement to not be blocked, he did not have it in writing and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie blocked him from interviewing for the Jets coordinator job. His contract is up after the season so the Eagles will not be able to block him [again]. He’ll be a hot name for OC jobs and HC jobs … DeFilippo will probably be the top OC candidate … I think he’ll [also] be one of the top four to five HC candidates and I think he’ll probably get three to five looks. I think teams will call and I think this is a guy at 39 years old is ready to be a HC. DeFilippo to me is clearly the top three to five HC candidates out there.” -
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;‬
-Shu
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

mshu7 wrote:
Adam Caplan had a segment on his podcast, CapCast, where he went over the top coaching candidates around the league. For those interested, I have listed the names he referenced in the comments. He predicts six to nine head coaching jobs will open up this offseason.
The important part of this post is the connection to the Eagles. The transcript for his thoughts on Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo, DC Jim Schwartz, and ST coordinator Dave Fipp are included in this post. One important note is that he did not mention Eagles OC Frank Reich. -
-
On Eagles QB Coach John DeFilippo: “… my understand around the league its that he’ll probably have from four to six offers to be a coordinator, his contract is up … the Eagles blocked [him] last year because he was still under contract, and although he had a verbal agreement to not be blocked, he did not have it in writing and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie blocked him from interviewing for the Jets coordinator job. His contract is up after the season so the Eagles will not be able to block him [again]. He’ll be a hot name for OC jobs and HC jobs … DeFilippo will probably be the top OC candidate … I think he’ll [also] be one of the top four to five HC candidates and I think he’ll probably get three to five looks. I think teams will call and I think this is a guy at 39 years old is ready to be a HC. DeFilippo to me is clearly the top three to five HC candidates out there.” -
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;‬
The more I'm reading about him the more excited I'm getting about him as possible HC. He's now moved up to get him now Pace status
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'm smitten.

He's got an aggressive mindset and approach to the game, the antithesis of John Fox football.

If he can surround himself with the right coaches, he'd a no brainer to me.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

What the fuck, why don’t we just make Ted Phillips head coach? Maybe that way he would finally get fired
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

Another good read on Flip

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/art ... ea1ebacfdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:I get the recent hype around DeFilippo, he's got a good thing going in philly with A LOT of offensive weapons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't seem like he has a long list of successful rookie QB/young AB's he's developed?

JaMarcus Russell (2nd year, 1st as starter)
Mark Sanchez (rookie year)
Terrell Pryor (3rd year, 1st as starter)
Derek Carr (rookie year)
Carson Wentz (rookie year)

Let's stop the Flip and Pettine reunion. The Bears are already teetering on browns territory, let's not want them to follow in their exact footsteps.
I’m kinda with you on this. Not that I wouldn’t be happy with Flip, but if we are gonna recycle a Browns coach I’m still putting Shurmur at the top of my list.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Teams looking for a head coach

Giants

Likely Bears, Browns, Colts, Bengals

Possibly Broncos, Tampa

Pace has 2 years left on his contract. They have a young QB, with a roster full of holes.

Bengals have a talented roster and showed Lewis a ton of leeway.

Giants are full rebuild

Colts have luck and a crazy owner

The browns are the browns

The Bears job has some negatives but is at least semi intruding for prospective coaches.
Funkster
MVP

I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I don't see the Bears with a roster full of holes. I see a team that can't kick the injury bug and has ended the last few season with key starting players on IR. I feel this team is only a few pieces away (WR, 1 solid pass rusher, CB?) from competing. Having a trending up defense ,a solid O-line/running game and a young QB sounds intriguing to me. Now more than a few people say the owners meddle where they shouldn't and that might be a factor, I'm not in the building so I don't know that to be fact.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

We need WRs, badly. An upgrade at RT and a swing tackle would be nice.

Defensively, we need at least 2 pass rushers and 2 corners. I'd like to add quality depth at LB as well.

BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote:We need WRs, badly. An upgrade at RT and a swing tackle would be nice.

Defensively, we need at least 2 pass rushers and 2 corners. I'd like to add quality depth at LB as well.
We need two top three type receivers for sure. That’s assuming Cam can play next year and is back.

We definitely need another starting pass rusher and some competent depth. McPhee can’t come back on his current contract. I’m probably in the minority, but if he’d restructure it to halve his salary I’d bring him back and have him be a backup. He won’t, so he’ll be cut though.

All our corners are free agents. I’d be perfectly happy to bring one of the two back (preferably Prince) and splurge on the other guy.

I don’t think we’re far off, though I’m eternally the optimist with the Bears. But we do need to hit on our moves this offseason.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Don’t know much about him, and it’s Sportsmockery, so take it with a grain of slat, but is suggests Jets OC John Morton as a potential Bears coach...

https://sportsmockery.com/2017/12/chica ... ey-phrase/
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I don't see the Bears with a roster full of holes. I see a team that can't kick the injury bug and has ended the last few season with key starting players on IR. I feel this team is only a few pieces away (WR, 1 solid pass rusher, CB?) from competing. Having a trending up defense ,a solid O-line/running game and a young QB sounds intriguing to me. Now more than a few people say the owners meddle where they shouldn't and that might be a factor, I'm not in the building so I don't know that to be fact.
Completely agree. I'm blaming more of the bad coaching, bad playcalling, and a rookie QB who has potential but is a rookie.

Day 1 of the draft should be BPA, but I'd love it if they targeted Chubb, Key, or Ferell in round 1. With where they should be picking there will be options. Selling it is always interesting also.

The trick is going to be free agent recruiting. They'll really have to be sold on the new HC and Biscuit (especially for a marquee WR like Watkins).

To ownership's credit, they've shown they will spend money on coaching and players. The problem has been what they've spent the money on.
Hematite
Player of the Month

BR0D1E86 wrote:Don’t know much about him, and it’s Sportsmockery, so take it with a grain of slat, but is suggests Jets OC John Morton as a potential Bears coach...

https://sportsmockery.com/2017/12/chica ... ey-phrase/
Interesting. A Saints connection just seems like the Pace thing to do. Time will tell.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Funkster wrote:I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I don't see the Bears with a roster full of holes.

I would agree. There are a few holes, but this team has more talent than what they've been showing this year under John Fox. The Bengals game yesterday was a perfect example. Pace got roasted for this years draft class, but Trubisky, Shaheen, Jackson & Cohen all had big games.

With a new HC and being a step closer to competing, I think we'll finally see Pace be aggressive in FA and get some of the bigger names he's not been able to get. Up until now, he's just been getting 1-2 year rental guys and building the team through the draft, primarily. Most of the FA guys that he's signed won't be here when the Bears are truly competing, except for guys like Hicks.

Overall, I think we are going to take a much bigger step this off-season than we've seen since Pace has been here.
-Shu
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Back on the topic of DeFilippo...

Check out the first bullet point and video from the Eagles article:
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ ... af940492c4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notice who's leading that meeting? It's not Frank Reich the OC. It's DeFilippo. Now, it could just be that way because it's a QB meeting, but none-the-less I found it interesting.
-Shu
mshu7
Pro Bowler

One more article:
How John DeFilippo rose the ranks to become Browns offensive coordinator
Coach’s son ‘has a gift,’ former bosses say

John DeFilippo sips a Diet Pepsi in his corner office at the Cleveland Browns facility. He wears a dark sweater, sharp khaki slacks and shiny brown shoes – an uncommon look in the sweat pants world of coaching.

A chart on his computer details an elaborate formation. Two weeks into the job, DeFilippo is knee deep in revamping the way the Browns play football on offense.

How do you become a 36-year-old offensive coordinator in the NFL?

You cultivate meaningful relationships. You visibly show players they can trust what you are teaching. You take chances.

You do what DeFilippo did.

DeFilippo’s coaching career began on a charter bus before he even graduated college.

His promising tenure as the starting quarterback at James Madison University – a 1-AA school nestled in the mountains of Virginia two hours south of Washington D.C. – ended with broken ribs and a collapsed lung from a nasty hit.

Instead of soaking in his last semester with friends, co-eds and parties, DeFilippo accepted his first job as quarterbacks coach at Fordham University. Every other Friday, DeFilippo would board a bus, forego his weekend and arrive in The Bronx seven slippery hours later.

It’s no secret the coaching business is heavy on connections. DeFilippo fascinated Fordham head coach Dave Clawson when the two worked high school summer football camps together at Villanova – where DeFilippo’s dad, Gene, was the athletic director.

Clawson’s plan for the 22-year-old DeFilippo was to spoon-feed the first-time coach – let him observe, give him minimal input in the game plan and assist with menial but necessary tasks in running a college football team.

That plan quickly was torn to shreds and tossed out of the window.

“You could tell right away he was going to be on to bigger things,” Clawson said. “John has a gift.”

DeFilippo instantly took command. He was up in the front of the classroom intricately explaining how a certain play call in the first quarter would manipulate the defense later in the game. He was helping push quarterbacks to the brink in the weight room. He was eating with players in the dining hall. “Flip,” as he’s called by those close to him, was everywhere.

Driven to turn around a Fordham program that had won 20 games in the previous 10 years combined, DeFilippo demanded excellence while also coming across as genuine. This wasn’t a first-time coach being tough for no reason. He was going to coach every little detail the only way he knew how.

Fordham freshman quarterback Kevin Eakin wasn’t as sold on DeFilippo as everyone else.

A promising recruit from Florida, Eakin was predicted to be the player who would lift Fordham from irrelevancy. The problem? DeFilippo’s coaching wasn’t getting through to him.

“I was a knucklehead,” Eakin said. “I thought I was going to be really good.”

Said Clawson: “We didn’t know if Kevin was going to make it to his sophomore year. He just didn’t care enough about football.”

The tense, boiling waters Eakin created spilled onto the practice field in the middle of the season. After Eakin had once again been goofing around, DeFilippo stopped practice.

“Do you know how much potential you are wasting?” Eakin recalled DeFilippo shouting at him. “If you keep sleepwalking through this process, you will never see the field. EVER.”

The public callout was a bold tactic from DeFilippo, but it was just what Eakin needed. The quarterback led Fordham to 17 wins during his junior and senior seasons, set multiple school records and got invited to New York Jets training camp – basically unheard of for a Fordham product. He later bounced around NFL Europe, Canada and the Arena Football League.

“Coach Flip planted the seed in me for my success,” Eakin said. “He knew exactly how to push my buttons.”

After one season at Fordham, DeFilippo was on to Notre Dame to become a graduate assistant.

“I told Kevin Rogers, Notre Dame’s offensive coordinator,” Clawson said. “If you get John, you are getting a rising star.”

U-Haul trucks and rearranging furniture were a large part of DeFilippo’s childhood.

In the mid-80s, Gene DeFilippo hung up the coaching headset to pursue a career as an athletic director. Various college positions – Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Kentucky and Villanova -- had the DeFilippo family of five crisscrossing the country.

John tagged along with Gene to victorious locker room celebrations, to snowy practice fields, to faraway bowl games. For John, football has always been life.

“I can honestly say I had the best childhood of anybody out there,” John said.

But Gene was always a public figure. At school and the grocery store, John heard the whispers about his dad’s job security and others bad-mouthing the college programs he led.

“Those are difficult things for a kid,” John said. “It made me grow up quickly.”

It was 2009, nine years since DeFilippo began his coaching journey at Fordham, and the 31-year-old was seriously questioning if his dreams were dying a slow and painful death.

After steadily climbing up the ladder – from graduate assistant at Notre Dame to quality control coordinator with the New York Giants – DeFilippo latched onto Lane Kiffin’s staff with the Oakland Raiders as the quarterbacks coach from 2007-08.

The Kiffin era in Oakland was sour from the start. There were disagreements within the organization as to whether to draft quarterback JaMarcus Russell. And there was an impatient owner in Al Davis.

After the 2008 season, the Raiders let go of their entire staff. DeFilippo was scrambling for a job and ultimately landed on his feet with the New York Jets as the assistant quarterbacks coach.

“My job was a glorified quality control guy,” DeFilippo said. “I didn’t know why I was in New York. I was grinding, working ungodly hours. I kept saying prayers. I’m here for some reason. There’s a reason I’m here.”

And then DeFilippo met Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

“Who was this extraordinarily bright, witty bald man?” DeFilippo said he thought when he first met Pettine. When DeFilippo had a chance to breathe between other duties, he would pop into a defensive meeting. He was in awe of Pettine.

“Mike had unbelievable control of the room,” DeFilippo said. “He had this knack for being stern with players, but also not tuning players out. He knows the defense inside and out, and has a solution for every problem. It was incredible.”

Pettine has an affinity for coaches’ kids and started conversing with DeFilippo on a daily basis, fishing for DeFilippo’s opinions on opposing offenses or even just the headlines of the day. Their chemistry as friends was binding.

“A lot of times we'd look over on the offensive side and in the little area where the coaches were, his light would be the only one on,” Pettine said. “We spent a lot of late nights in New York talking football. That's when I knew this guy had something to him.”

The year with the Jets hadn’t been a waste after all for DeFilippo. The next season, he found himself back in control of a quarterback room at San Jose State. Three weeks into the season, head coach Mike MacIntyre recognized how vociferously DeFilippo handled the offense and gave him play-calling duties.

Year 2 with San Jose State is when DeFilippo leapt from the elevator lobby to the penthouse in terms of experience. Stocked with the new title of offensive coordinator, DeFilippo was an outside-of-the-box game-planner and an esteemed speaker in front of the team, unafraid of quizzing his players in an open forum.

“John will laugh and he’ll get along with the players – but he’ll get after them, too,” MacIntyre said. “His players will notice his intensity and attention to detail.”

In an ESPN Friday night showdown against Hawaii, DeFilippo’s forward-thinking came to fruition. Trailing 27-21 with no timeouts, 1:10 left on the clock and 80 yards to go, DeFilippo helped guide quarterback Matt Faulkner past midfield with intermediate routes toward the sideline.

DeFilippo wanted the kill shot.

Like he sensed, Hawaii slid its coverage to protect the sidelines, hoping to tackle a Spartan receiver in-bounds. Instead, DeFilippo called for a deep dig route up the middle of the field. Hawaii’s safeties were completely out of position, Faulkner hit wide receiver Chandler Jones in stride and the San Jose student section stormed the field after an improbable 28-27 victory.

“Sometimes,” DeFilippo said, “you’ve got to take that gamble.”

“That was the program-changing win for us,” said MacIntyre, who later parlayed the San Jose State job into the head coaching gig at Colorado.

A year after going 1-11, San Jose State posted a 5-7 record. The NFL started to take notice. Again, DeFilippo’s career was at crossroads. Should he stay at San Jose State, where the roster would finally be full of talented juniors and seniors and could possibly serve as a launching pad to a head coaching gig in the college ranks? Or should he return to the pinnacle of football at the professional level?

The Oakland Raiders called again. This time, it was Dennis Allen leading the charge. DeFilippo knew Oakland was $30 million over the salary cap and would have to cut a bunch of solid players. But with the Raiders, he saw radiant offensive minds in Tony Sparano and Greg Knapp. When the opportunity presented itself, he couldn’t pass up the NFL.

Quarterbacking expertise. It’s an intriguing part of DeFilippo’s background and it is a reason Pettine and the Browns chose DeFilippo to be their man.

DeFilippo’s approach throughout 15 years of coaching has remained the same: Honesty.

“Sometimes, you have to say things they don’t want to hear,” DeFilippo said. “I think as long as you keep it real and don’t blow smoke at people, you can earn respect. And they have to feel like you know what you are talking about.”

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr wasn’t afraid of DeFilippo’s truth serum.

DeFilippo saw major inconsistencies in Carr’s footwork and he strongly emphasized the basics from Day 1, even if they were monotonous. The Fresno State product was creeping up in the pocket while scanning the field, which lessened his arm strength. Carr gobbled up DeFilippo’s instructions and repeatedly asked, “what’s next?” So DeFilippo put more on his plate – an increased role in setting protections and broader concepts of the playbook.

“He handled it well,” DeFilippo said. “He can take hard coaching.”

Improving quarterback techniques and implementing the game plans aren’t DeFilippo’s only specialties. While at San Jose State, he found David Fales (now with the Chicago Bears) at Monterey Peninsula College. Because Fales had only one offer from Indiana State, DeFilippo made the 45-minute drive down to Monterey not expecting much besides a nice lunch by the beach. But from the start, DeFilippo saw potential in the 6-foot-3 Fales because of his arm strength, accuracy and character.

“He was the type of kid you want your sister to marry,” DeFilippo said.

Fales started the next year, leading San Jose State to 11 wins.

Browns assistant coaches are buzzing in and out of DeFilippo’s office. February’s main duty is getting the entire offensive staff on the same page. DeFilippo is sorting through concepts he liked from last year’s offense, integrating some of his philosophies and creating a new language.

DeFilippo’s genuine tone, his intensity and the fair way he treats people have already resonated in Berea.

“My wife always told me, ‘John DeFilippo is going to be a head coach in the NFL one day,’” MacIntyre said. “He just has all those qualities.”

Maybe one day, but DeFilippo won’t even entertain that thought at the moment.

Right now, the 36-year-old plans to execute what he’s done in all of his previous stops: From Fordham, to San Jose State, to the Oakland Raiders, his footprint was lasting; his commanding but personal style was embraced.

The same could ring true with the Cleveland Browns.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/art ... ea1ebacfdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note the part about Flip "wanted the kill shot". Compare that to John "don't take any risks" Fox. Oh what Flip could do for this Bears team...

If Pace ends up hiring Flip, I think there's a good chance we'll see Pettine as the DC, based on what Flip's comments in this article regarding Pettine.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

mshu7 the first time I read that article the "kill shot" part jumped right out at me. This is an aggressive SOB now, which I love in a football coach.

mshu7
Pro Bowler

This article is from last off-season. It's about how the Eagles owner blocked the Jets from interviewing Flip after Pedersen and GM Roseman signed off on it. For a QB coach to be that highly regarded by a team owner is amazing.
How Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie pulled rank and blocked QB coach John DeFilippo from leaving for Jets
Updated: JANUARY 28, 2017 — 3:01 AM EST

by Jeff McLane, STAFF WRITER @Jeff_McLane | jmclane@phillynews.com

MOBILE, Ala. - When Doug Pederson and Howie Roseman hired John DeFilippo to be the Eagles' quarterbacks coach a year ago they told him that if he had an offer to become an offensive coordinator they wouldn't stand in his way.

Earlier this month, the New York Jets asked to interview DeFilippo for that very job. Pederson and Roseman, true to their word, signed off on the request. NFL teams can't block assistants from auditioning for head coaching vacancies, but they can prevent them from interviewing for coordinator positions.

It's unclear whether DeFilippo would have gotten the Jets job or even wanted it, but he never got an opportunity to toss his hat in the ring. Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie stepped in and rescinded the original consent, according to four independent NFL sources.

Lurie's obstruction was first reported by ESPN, but Inquirer sources provided more detail of how the Eagles owner stepped in, and more important, why he pulled rank, as he had never done before.

While the why is obvious (Carson Wentz, duh), Lurie's blocking of DeFilippo represents his passion - some called it his "obsession" - with making sure the young quarterback has all the tools necessary to thrive. That meant retaining the assistant who played a significant role in Wentz's rookie season, and that means acquiring skill position talent this offseason.

When asked Wednesday who blocked DeFilippo, Roseman said that Pederson "decides who's on the [coaching] staff." Pederson declined to comment when approached Thursday at the Senior Bowl.

Because the Jets were the first to approach DeFilippo, the former Browns offensive coordinator never had the chance to be considered for more attractive teams that would eventually hire defensive-minded coaches (Broncos, Chargers, Bills) who would have allowed him to call plays. The Super Bowl-bound Falcons may also need a replacement if Kyle Shanahan gets the 49ers job.

When reached by phone, DeFilippo declined to comment, other than to say, "I'm thrilled to be with the Eagles for another year."

Whether the Eagles offered him an extension or a raise as compensation remains unknown, but DeFilippo has only one year left on his deal. A lot could happen in a year, but if Wentz continues to progress, the coach should once again be a candidate for coordinator posts next offseason.

The Eagles may have to promote DeFilippo to keep him, although they still have Frank Reich as offensive coordinator and Pederson calls plays. When the three were hired last January, Lurie and Roseman stressed their individual experiences as play-callers and their vast history developing quarterbacks.

But DeFilippo was the only one of three to have worked extensively with rookie quarterbacks. He has virtually seen it all. From car wrecks such as JaMarcus Russell and Johnny Manziel to success stories such as Derek Carr and Mark Sanchez - and now Wentz.

In blocking DeFilippo, Lurie understood the importance of keeping the quarterback room intact and avoiding anything that could potentially disrupt Wentz's development. It should be noted, however, that the Raiders didn't stop DeFilippo from taking the Browns job after just one season with Carr.

And Carr did just fine after DeFilippo left.

But Lurie's block was not only extremely rare for an owner, but it potentially undermined Pederson. The only other coaching move the Eagles made this offseason was to fire wide receivers coach Greg Lewis and replace him with Mike Groh.

Roseman reiterated, when asked about Lewis, that Pederson has final say over his staff. But in light of the DeFilippo situation, could Lurie have forced the dismissal of the receivers coach? Again, everything is seemingly in play, especially as it relates to Wentz.

Lurie had sharp coaches in place during Donovan McNabb's early years - Andy Reid, of course, and Brad Childress. And Reid and team president Joe Banner surrounded him with a strong offensive line and running game. But there was the perception that the Eagles failed to win a Super Bowl, particularly from 2000 to 2003, because they lacked top-flight receivers.

Lurie, per sources familiar with his thinking, is prepared to give Wentz the skill-position players he lacks. It's little surprise that the Eagles know they need to upgrade at receiver and running back. Roseman and vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas said as much here. The question is to what lengths will they go?

"This is a unique situation," Douglas said Wednesday, "an opportunity to find guys that love football as much as Carson, and have them come in here and grow with Carson and develop as a team."

Could Alshon Jeffery, who is expected to command top dollar, be in play if the Bears decide not to put the franchise tag on the receiver? The Eagles would have to clear a fair amount of cap space. Connor Barwin and Jason Kelce had better not make plans for next season if that were the case - probably even if it weren't.

Having a quarterback still on his rookie contract also affords the Eagles the opportunity to spend some money - at least until they're able to extend him following the 2018 season.

Lurie, who attended Senior Bowl practices for the second straight year, wasn't made available to reporters. He hasn't spoken since March. Asked if his boss was here providing input on players, Roseman said, "No, he's asking questions."

Last January, Lurie caught his first in-person glimpse of Wentz. It should be a reminder to the Eagles that Wentz is still only a year removed from playing Division I-AA football.

Lurie seems to grasp that, otherwise why would he have denied DeFilippo a chance to advance?

If you go back to after Wentz's hot three-game start, it was DeFilippo who cautioned that the rookie would hit valleys, along with peaks, while Pederson and Reich were already comparing the quarterback to Peyton Manning and Jim Kelly.

Wentz ran into the typical hurdles quarterbacks face in their first seasons. But Lane Johnson's suspension and injuries on the offensive line, along with the season-long ineffectiveness of his outside receivers, created trust problems for the rookie.

Lurie is committed to creating an environment in which Wentz doesn't have as many concerns. But has he and will he take the right steps, or should he be careful not to overstep his bounds?
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... aving.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

If you go back to after Wentz's hot three-game start, it was DeFilippo who cautioned that the rookie would hit valleys, along with peaks, while Pederson and Reich were already comparing the quarterback to Peyton Manning and Jim Kelly.
That jumped out at me.

Hematite
Player of the Month

If Nick Foles finishes off the season the same way he started it with his first start against the Giants, there will be no denying Defillipo from a head coaching job in my opinion. Here's hoping he see's something worth chasing in Chicago!
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Found this podcast interview with DeFilippo. It's a really good listen. Compared to the Loggains interview the other day, Flip is on another level.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-howard-eskin- ... -defilippo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:Found this podcast interview with DeFilippo. It's a really good listen. Compared to the Loggains interview the other day, Flip is on another level.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-howard-eskin- ... -defilippo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
God bless ya, keep em coming!

mshu7
Pro Bowler

Glad to!
-Shu
malk
Head Coach

Body language fines in his room! Can you imagine him with Cutty!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mshu7
Pro Bowler

malk wrote:Body language fines in his room! Can you imagine him with Cutty!

LOL! That was my very first thought as well!
-Shu