Mod

YOGABBA wrote:Please stay on topic.
I think we are beyond that...
G08
Hall of Famer

YOGABBA wrote:It's Huckabee.

Please stay on topic.
Will do.

Please stop spamming with multiple accounts.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
YOGABBA
Rookie

I don't have multiple accounts.
G08
Hall of Famer

Fine. Stop with the multiple personalities :)

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account
@AllbrightNFL
2h2 hours ago
More
Aside from the obvious, some names to watch for HC vacancies this off season: Todd Wash, Pat Shurmer, Dennis Allen, John Morton, Matt LeFleur.

wab
Mod

Shurmur is still my 1a. Flip is my 1b. Morton is my B.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

What's wrong with LeFleur? I know its McVay's offense, but I think he's the young offensively minded coach that could lead this team. He's coached under a couple of great HC's, and he was the QB coach in Atlanta when Matt Ryan had, inarguably, the best year of his career. He may be the QB whisperer that we're looking for. Then implement the Rams offense here? I'm all for that.

He's also 38 years old. Pace is 40. I see that as a generational match. Don't overlook the importance of the GM and HC being able to relate to each other at that level.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:What's wrong with LeFleur? I know its McVay's offense, but I think he's the young offensively minded coach that could lead this team. He's coached under a couple of great HC's, and he was the QB coach in Atlanta when Matt Ryan had, inarguably, the best year of his career. He may be the QB whisperer that we're looking for. Then implement the Rams offense here? I'm all for that.

He's also 38 years old. Pace is 40. I see that as a generational match. Don't overlook the importance of the GM and HC being able to relate to each other at that level.
I haven't dug into him too much... story goes that Atlanta let him leave because they didn't think he did a good job as QB coach.

I don't think he's ever called plays either (not that it necessarily matters).

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Shurmur is still my 1a. Flip is my 1b. Morton is my B.
Sell me on Shurmur...

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Sell me on Shurmur...
Man with Two Brains jokes?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Sell me on Shurmur...
- He's incredibly well respected.

- Turned Donovan McNabb from a run-first QB into the most prolific passer in Eagles history

- When he was in STL, they scored 114 more points than the year before he was there and developed Bradford into the AP rookie of the year

- Has previous HC experience with the Browns and Eagles (albeit one game)

- Helped Colt McCoy have his best statistical season as a pro

- Currently has Case Keenum playing as a top 7 NFL QB
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Sell me on Shurmur...

- Turned Donovan McNabb from a run-first QB into the most prolific passer in Eagles history

- When he was in STL, they scored 114 more points than the year before he was there and developed Bradford into the AP rookie of the year

This - if you're looking for a guy with a track record of success working with young/rookie QB's - Shurmur has to be at the top of the list.

I don't know enough about what went down during his time as HC at Cleveland to speak to whether or not he deserved to be fired after two seasons - but his track record as a QB coach and OC is pretty impeccable.

Not sure why he isn't mentioned more. I guess the idea of 'retread' coaches might be working against him at this point - though he surely didn't get a real opportunity in Cleveland.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Re: Shurmur

One of the radio shows I listened to said that some execs around the league weren’t sold on his HC abilities, that being a great OC was his ceiling. Kinda like a Wade Phillips.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:Re: Shurmur

One of the radio shows I listened to said that some execs around the league weren’t sold on his HC abilities, that being a great OC was his ceiling. Kinda like a Wade Phillips.
I asked Gabriel about him as well and he said he's a solid coordinator but isn't sure he has what it takes to lead a team.

Funkster
MVP

Again, developing a young QB is very important but shouldn't be the only concern. The Bears may be facing HC/OC and DC firings. The obvious lack of offensive production IMO is swaying a lot of our opinions towards an offensive HC. I believe the Bears can't swing from offensive/ defensive minded head coaches. They need a HC that is TEAM minded and brings in an OC and DC that can do their respective jobs. This is why I'm leaning toward McDaniels. Man, I wish I could read Pace' mind right now, the suspense is killing me.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Sell me on Shurmur...

This - if you're looking for a guy with a track record of success working with young/rookie QB's - Shurmur has to be at the top of the list.

I don't know enough about what went down during his time as HC at Cleveland to speak to whether or not he deserved to be fired after two seasons - but his track record as a QB coach and OC is pretty impeccable.

Not sure why he isn't mentioned more. I guess the idea of 'retread' coaches might be working against him at this point - though he surely didn't get a real opportunity in Cleveland.
I think Shurmur unfairly got caught up in the ownership change. Haslam bought the team from Lerner and told Holmgren he was beingg let go at the end of the season. Shurmur was brought in by Holmgren, and Haslam wanted to put his stamp on the team.

I remember there being quite a bit of unrest about Shurmur being let go because a lot of people thought he was on the brink of turning that team around.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

For me it's:

1. Jim Harbaugh (I know it's a long shot but we should try)
2. John DeFilippo
3. Pete Carmichael Jr.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:Again, developing a young QB is very important but shouldn't be the only concern. The Bears may be facing HC/OC and DC firings. The obvious lack of offensive production IMO is swaying a lot of our opinions towards an offensive HC. I believe the Bears can't swing from offensive/ defensive minded head coaches. They need a HC that is TEAM minded and brings in an OC and DC that can do their respective jobs. This is why I'm leaning toward McDaniels. Man, I wish I could read Pace' mind right now, the suspense is killing me.
I was on that bandwagon for a little while but it's not going to happen... I think that dude is either staying in NE or is destined for the Giants.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:Again, developing a young QB is very important but shouldn't be the only concern. The Bears may be facing HC/OC and DC firings. The obvious lack of offensive production IMO is swaying a lot of our opinions towards an offensive HC. I believe the Bears can't swing from offensive/ defensive minded head coaches. They need a HC that is TEAM minded and brings in an OC and DC that can do their respective jobs. This is why I'm leaning toward McDaniels. Man, I wish I could read Pace' mind right now, the suspense is killing me.
I was on that bandwagon for a little while but it's not going to happen... I think that dude is either staying in NE or is destined for the Giants.

I hope the Giants let him draft a QB...

G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote:

I'm sure they will.

Sidenote: Hippo... I'm pretty sure you and I were both pro-Trestman and pro-Fox, right? Maybe we should sit this round out :lol:

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:

Why do you think that? The big lights of NY? The giants as an organization are a mess. I feel with a groomable QB and the young talent the Bears have displayed would be very intriguing to him.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:

Why do you think that? The big lights of NY? The giants as an organization are a mess. I feel with a groomable QB and the young talent the Bears have displayed would be very intriguing to him.
Belichick would give him his blessing.

They fired their GM as well, which will give McDaniels a chance to have a say in the new hire.

High draft pick so he can pick the QB of his choice.

He doesn't want to uproot and move his family, so coaching the Giants would enable him to not have to have his family move across the country (maybe a 2.5 hour drive if he takes the Giants gig)

Now I'm reading that he's rumored to be their top choice.

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:

Belichick would give him his blessing.

They fired their GM as well, which will give McDaniels a chance to have a say in the new hire.

High draft pick so he can pick the QB of his choice.

He doesn't want to uproot and move his family, so coaching the Giants would enable him to not have to have his family move across the country (maybe a 2.5 hour drive if he takes the Giants gig)

Now I'm reading that he's rumored to be their top choice.
G08, all very good reason. The reason underlined, IMO is the best one. I just don't see those being deal breakers for him considering the Bears. I feel whoever Pace chooses, they would be poised to inherit a team we'll on it's way to a winning season.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote:

I'm sure they will.

Sidenote: Hippo... I'm pretty sure you and I were both pro-Trestman and pro-Fox, right? Maybe we should sit this round out :lol:

That part about him picking out his own QB is the joke. Fuck McDaniels - I hope he drafts Tebow again.

You're correct - I definitely was in favor of both the Trestman and Fox hires. 3rd times the charm - right?*

*Seriously though - I'm terrible at this.

wab
Mod

Per SportsMockery (take that FWIW) the Bears are in the process of narrowing their list of HC targets to the following guys, in no particular order:
Matt Nagy
Frank Reich
Matt LaFleur
John DeFilippo
Pete Carmichael

Personally I'd put DeFilippo and LaFleur at the top, Nagy and Reich in the middle, and Carmichael at the bottom.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Morton and Shurmur pop up on that list before it's said and done.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Per SportsMockery (take that FWIW) the Bears are in the process of narrowing their list of HC targets to the following guys, in no particular order:
Matt Nagy
Frank Reich
Matt LaFleur
John DeFilippo
Pete Carmichael

Personally I'd put DeFilippo and LaFleur at the top, Nagy and Reich in the middle, and Carmichael at the bottom.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Morton and Shurmur pop up on that list before it's said and done.
Interesting... the Eagles have a first round bye so I would have to think Pace will be interviewing Reich and DeFilippo then.