49ers game is Ryan Pace's most important so far

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

MoFugger
Head Coach

Richie wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Lets see Garoppolo last more than 2 games before we crown him as the missed opportunity to save our franchise. I mean we have 0 pass rush, good to average cover guys and a depleted LB corp. Garappolo should have a field day with us.
Yeah, since heading into the bye week, the injuries have rendered this defense to being just about league average. IMO. We were playing like a top 5 D for a stretch, but given everything that's happened. I don't think it's any longer a feather in your cap, to have beaten us up a bit with your offense.
Top 5 defenses get turnovers.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
BR0D1E86
MVP

MoFugger wrote:
Richie wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Lets see Garoppolo last more than 2 games before we crown him as the missed opportunity to save our franchise. I mean we have 0 pass rush, good to average cover guys and a depleted LB corp. Garappolo should have a field day with us.
Yeah, since heading into the bye week, the injuries have rendered this defense to being just about league average. IMO. We were playing like a top 5 D for a stretch, but given everything that's happened. I don't think it's any longer a feather in your cap, to have beaten us up a bit with your offense.

They were starting to come before the mass wave of injuries, but honestly that’s been more of an aberration since Fangio got here than the norm.
Adipost
MVP

I don’t remember who it was on the radio the other day, but he said this is gonna be the most important game in Trubisky’s overall development at QB. Coming off his worst game as a pro, and going up against a really bad team, he said that Trubisky has to step up.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've seen a lot of good arguments in this thread, principally that from a logical standpoint, this game really shouldn't matter that much and that the logic I used wasn't particularly good. I completely agree with that.

But I guess I didn't express my point clearly enough. That point is that the emotional mob of Bear fans in general who aren't as knowledgeable and thoughtful as we are here could have a powerful response to us losing this game--the focal point of which is Ryan Pace instead of the already throughly castigated John Fox. And we all know that media types who love to fan emotional flames (generating their much needed clicks) will feed into this.

And while mob reaction shouldn't rule what goes on in Halas Hall, there's no question that the McKnuckleheads hear what the fans say--particularly when they say it with empty seats on game day.

My conclusion point that Foxie would be fired would be Pace doing what the Bears have never done before and therefore something they don't prefer to do. But it would be Pace's way of responding to fans in a way that may not only placate them a bit, but also to redirect the focus away from him and lay the blame at Fox's feet.

(One thing I've learned with message boards is that sometimes you state your opinion and other times it's about what you feel others (like the Bears organization or members of it or fans broadly) think. Those things get conflated a lot as it's hard for the reader to not presume it's what the author thinks, even if he/she is guessing the thoughts of someone else.)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
MoFugger
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
Richie wrote:

They were starting to come before the mass wave of injuries, but honestly that’s been more of an aberration since Fangio got here than the norm.
Without looking it up, and making this statement with absolutely no factual basis to back it up, I could swear that half of our Seasons turnovers came in one game.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Now we get to see the fan reaction. Garoppolo throws for 293 and sets up 5 FGs by Bears castoff Robbie Gould. (Is that on John Fox or Ryan Pace?) On offense, the Bears have have fewer yards than Garoppolo throws for and can only score 7 points against a 1-10 team.

Ryan Pace becomes Satan to the Bears fan mob.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:I don’t remember who it was on the radio the other day, but he said this is gonna be the most important game in Trubisky’s overall development at QB. Coming off his worst game as a pro, and going up against a really bad team, he said that Trubisky has to step up.
With what offensive weapons exactly?
botfly10
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:Now we get to see the fan reaction. Garoppolo throws for 293 and sets up 5 FGs by Bears castoff Robbie Gould. (Is that on John Fox or Ryan Pace?) On offense, the Bears have have fewer yards than Garoppolo throws for and can only score 7 points against a 1-10 team.

Ryan Pace becomes Satan to the Bears fan mob.
who cares tho?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:I don’t remember who it was on the radio the other day, but he said this is gonna be the most important game in Trubisky’s overall development at QB. Coming off his worst game as a pro, and going up against a really bad team, he said that Trubisky has to step up.
This is the point I was trying to make in the game thread. This was a chance for the Bears to open up Biscuits a little bit, and they both failed. Personally I think the Bears coaching staff has Trubisky playing scared.
wab
Mod

Everyone is half assing it right now so I don’t really take much of anything this team does seriously.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

This off season we all questioned this rosters construction. Then they drafted a QB and we forgot about that gripe. It's still clear this roster was and is shit.
docc
Head Coach

Pretty sure Trubiskey is not allowed much freedom in calls,,maybe limited if at all.. The game plan is stupid..the run offense incompetent..roster is scrubs..walk ins..and soon waived nobodies..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Everyone is half assing it right now so I don’t really take much of anything this team does seriously.
I hear that said often when things go bad. But I can't believe it. Players are playing for their next jobs. They know everything is on tape. And coaches like Loggains know they're coaching for their career as well. The only one who could fall into that category you speak of is Foxie, who probably figures he's done after this year.

wab
Mod

Half-assing it might not be the best way to describe it, but you can see a lack of "something" when they are playing. They are defeated, they know it's a lost season. And you can tell there are guys are on autopilot who are playing out the string.

The notion of "playing for your job" is a little overblown in the NFL. Most of these guys are going to have jobs regardless.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:This off season we all questioned this rosters construction. Then they drafted a QB and we forgot about that gripe. It's still clear this roster was and is shit.
Like I'm sure most if not all of you guys I was shocked they drafted a QB let alone pulled the trade that they did.

They just signed Glennon. The Bears were almost guaranteed to have another high choice in 2018, but this time in a QB rich draft. To me it seemed like the ideal time to grab a franchise player on defense (which was BPA at the time) and see what happens.

I was hopeful for any combination of Garret, Thomas, or selling the pick and moving down in the first round.

I didn't see that trade coming and the focus went there.

On the plus side of the whole thing, Biscuit has potential to be the guy and we'll have a high draft choice where a good amount of QBs will be taken, which we won't need to and then we'll have options of BPA or trading it.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:This off season we all questioned this rosters construction. Then they drafted a QB and we forgot about that gripe. It's still clear this roster was and is shit.
Like I'm sure most if not all of you guys I was shocked they drafted a QB let alone pulled the trade that they did.

They just signed Glennon. The Bears were almost guaranteed to have another high choice in 2018, but this time in a QB rich draft. To me it seemed like the ideal time to grab a franchise player on defense (which was BPA at the time) and see what happens.

I was hopeful for any combination of Garret, Thomas, or selling the pick and moving down in the first round.

On the plus side of the whole thing, Biscuit has potential to be the guy and we'll have a high draft choice where a good amount of QBs will be taken, which we won't need to and then we'll have options of BPA or trading it.
What's so quarterback rich in this class?
BR0D1E86
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

I've read a few scouts takes that none of the quarterbacks in this draft should be rated as highly as any of the top 3 last year. And no, don't ask me to go finding the tweets and random stories I read months ago.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

I'm not a scout so I don't know, but that was the talk at the time how the 2018 draft class had QBs to be taken at the top.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

imagine if pace didnt draft a QB, and we went through this whole season with mike fucking glennon.

imagine if his plan all along was to wait til 2018, because he expected there to be better qb's available.

imagine going through the whole season with mike fucking glennon, and watching deshaun watson light it up with the texans.

now imagine it's the 2018 draft, and we've got both cleveland and the giants ahead of us taking a qb. and maybe even denver! hell, cincinatti could still slip under us and they could decide, if there's a qb there, to draft dalton's replacement. maybe they finally got rid of marvin lewis and their new coach wants his own qb.

if pace had actually gone that route, it would be legal in chicago to murder him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:imagine if pace didnt draft a QB, and we went through this whole season with mike fucking glennon.

imagine if his plan all along was to wait til 2018, because he expected there to be better qb's available.

imagine going through the whole season with mike fucking glennon, and watching deshaun watson light it up with the texans.

now imagine it's the 2018 draft, and we've got both cleveland and the giants ahead of us taking a qb. and maybe even denver! hell, cincinatti could still slip under us and they could decide, if there's a qb there, to draft dalton's replacement. maybe they finally got rid of marvin lewis and their new coach wants his own qb.

if pace had actually gone that route, it would be legal in chicago to murder him.
Not if he gave up a 2nd to get Jimmy G.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Oh boy
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:imagine if pace didnt draft a QB, and we went through this whole season with mike fucking glennon.

Not if he gave up a 2nd to get Jimmy G.
He's a greater unknown than a draft pick plus you'd have to pay him more at the end if the year if he did that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't believe that Jimmy G is a greater unknown than a QB who played one full year in college. The QB cap situation would've gotten handled by cutting Glennon depending on how that whole situation got handled.

And I like Biscuit. I'm glad he's here and I think he's potentially a great QB.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

-so we fail on an unproven backup (glennon), but fans will be cool with (and pace will be cool with) trading for another unproven backup. who we dont have kyle shannahan to develop.

-and we're also bidding against the 49ers, who have a lower draft pick than us, but we're still only paying a 2nd for jimmy g.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:-so we fail on an unproven backup (glennon), but fans will be cool with (and pace will be cool with) trading for another unproven backup. who we dont have kyle shannahan to develop.

-and we're also bidding against the 49ers, who have a lower draft pick than us, but we're still only paying a 2nd for jimmy g.

seems a lot of revisionist history and dreaming going on ... which is fine

if the Patriots had been offering up Garappolo for a second round pick prior to the Bears signing Glennon or drafting Trubisky, then yeah that probably would have been a chance worth taking ... but as you point out, would the Bears have actually been able to help Garappolo take the next step? or would he regress under what the bears consider QB development?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Pagan
MVP

I agree, hindsight & what have you.

It's ALWAYS easier to be jaded =
* call draft picks a bust
* guess a losing game/record
* look back at moves made/not made

The truth is there are multiple variables in ANY success or failure.
Many fans are pissed & want to vent, that's cool.
Let's not allow the frustrations to build to nonsense though.

The coaching staff is gone after this year, & in my opinion
{even with the rediculous # of serious injuries}
This roster is in better shape than it was before Fox & company got here~> as far as rebuilding is concerned.

The tail end of Angelo & the Emery years absolutely destroyed this Bears team.

This Teams (Long Term) arrow Is pointing up:
Pace's drafts & FA moves have given this team a good young core of players.
Fox & Fangio have gotten The Bears defense out of NFL joke category & heading back towards the top.

This team ALWAYS should've just come clean & called an official rebuild. Leaving fans on the hook with unrealistic expectations is just wrong.

This whole coaching staff was brought in to get the franchise in the GIANT hole it had dug itself ~> talent wise & coaching.
Boring, unspectacular, professional & safe. & boring again.

The record doesn't show the progress, due to terrible play calling, ultra conservative play style (on both offense & defense) & 3 years of record setting serious injuries!

All that said... I'll be glad to see this coaching staff gone & look forward to Pace bringing some inventive minds to create an offense around Mitch while taking the Bears defense to the next level.
YOGABBA
Rookie

This is Ryan Pace's most important game so far.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

YOGABBA wrote:This is Ryan Pace's most important game so far.
Until next week.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

So how far do the MccASSkeys ride Pace. He is tied to Fox and their 3 yr record sucks. If he gets a new hire and the team sucks next year what do the Bears do? Do they give him more than one year with the new hire? Lots to consider, he has supplied Fox with the players and most can agree, they suck outside of a handful. In year 3 he picked projects (Shaheen and Cohen) would he not have been better off picking for this season?
malk
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:So how far do the MccASSkeys ride Pace. He is tied to Fox and their 3 yr record sucks. If he gets a new hire and the team sucks next year what do the Bears do? Do they give him more than one year with the new hire? Lots to consider, he has supplied Fox with the players and most can agree, they suck outside of a handful. In year 3 he picked projects (Shaheen and Cohen) would he not have been better off picking for this season?
Seems a weird take Otis?

Pace's drafting gets him at least until the end of his contract. This year's draft has the potential to be very good, with three starters and a major contributor. 2016 was the same. It doesn't make much sense not to give him a second hire and the two years remaining.

We're a wide out and health away from making a playoff run. Bolstering the line and pass rush gets us closer still. Question marks rightly remain until we get there but there are positives to take even from this depressing season.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)