For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Oh boy
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:imagine if pace didnt draft a QB, and we went through this whole season with mike fucking glennon.

imagine if his plan all along was to wait til 2018, because he expected there to be better qb's available.

imagine going through the whole season with mike fucking glennon, and watching deshaun watson light it up with the texans.

now imagine it's the 2018 draft, and we've got both cleveland and the giants ahead of us taking a qb. and maybe even denver! hell, cincinatti could still slip under us and they could decide, if there's a qb there, to draft dalton's replacement. maybe they finally got rid of marvin lewis and their new coach wants his own qb.

if pace had actually gone that route, it would be legal in chicago to murder him.
Not if he gave up a 2nd to get Jimmy G.
He's a greater unknown than a draft pick plus you'd have to pay him more at the end if the year if he did that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't believe that Jimmy G is a greater unknown than a QB who played one full year in college. The QB cap situation would've gotten handled by cutting Glennon depending on how that whole situation got handled.

And I like Biscuit. I'm glad he's here and I think he's potentially a great QB.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

-so we fail on an unproven backup (glennon), but fans will be cool with (and pace will be cool with) trading for another unproven backup. who we dont have kyle shannahan to develop.

-and we're also bidding against the 49ers, who have a lower draft pick than us, but we're still only paying a 2nd for jimmy g.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:-so we fail on an unproven backup (glennon), but fans will be cool with (and pace will be cool with) trading for another unproven backup. who we dont have kyle shannahan to develop.

-and we're also bidding against the 49ers, who have a lower draft pick than us, but we're still only paying a 2nd for jimmy g.

seems a lot of revisionist history and dreaming going on ... which is fine

if the Patriots had been offering up Garappolo for a second round pick prior to the Bears signing Glennon or drafting Trubisky, then yeah that probably would have been a chance worth taking ... but as you point out, would the Bears have actually been able to help Garappolo take the next step? or would he regress under what the bears consider QB development?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Pagan
MVP

I agree, hindsight & what have you.

It's ALWAYS easier to be jaded =
* call draft picks a bust
* guess a losing game/record
* look back at moves made/not made

The truth is there are multiple variables in ANY success or failure.
Many fans are pissed & want to vent, that's cool.
Let's not allow the frustrations to build to nonsense though.

The coaching staff is gone after this year, & in my opinion
{even with the rediculous # of serious injuries}
This roster is in better shape than it was before Fox & company got here~> as far as rebuilding is concerned.

The tail end of Angelo & the Emery years absolutely destroyed this Bears team.

This Teams (Long Term) arrow Is pointing up:
Pace's drafts & FA moves have given this team a good young core of players.
Fox & Fangio have gotten The Bears defense out of NFL joke category & heading back towards the top.

This team ALWAYS should've just come clean & called an official rebuild. Leaving fans on the hook with unrealistic expectations is just wrong.

This whole coaching staff was brought in to get the franchise in the GIANT hole it had dug itself ~> talent wise & coaching.
Boring, unspectacular, professional & safe. & boring again.

The record doesn't show the progress, due to terrible play calling, ultra conservative play style (on both offense & defense) & 3 years of record setting serious injuries!

All that said... I'll be glad to see this coaching staff gone & look forward to Pace bringing some inventive minds to create an offense around Mitch while taking the Bears defense to the next level.
YOGABBA
Rookie

This is Ryan Pace's most important game so far.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

YOGABBA wrote:This is Ryan Pace's most important game so far.
Until next week.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

So how far do the MccASSkeys ride Pace. He is tied to Fox and their 3 yr record sucks. If he gets a new hire and the team sucks next year what do the Bears do? Do they give him more than one year with the new hire? Lots to consider, he has supplied Fox with the players and most can agree, they suck outside of a handful. In year 3 he picked projects (Shaheen and Cohen) would he not have been better off picking for this season?
malk
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:So how far do the MccASSkeys ride Pace. He is tied to Fox and their 3 yr record sucks. If he gets a new hire and the team sucks next year what do the Bears do? Do they give him more than one year with the new hire? Lots to consider, he has supplied Fox with the players and most can agree, they suck outside of a handful. In year 3 he picked projects (Shaheen and Cohen) would he not have been better off picking for this season?
Seems a weird take Otis?

Pace's drafting gets him at least until the end of his contract. This year's draft has the potential to be very good, with three starters and a major contributor. 2016 was the same. It doesn't make much sense not to give him a second hire and the two years remaining.

We're a wide out and health away from making a playoff run. Bolstering the line and pass rush gets us closer still. Question marks rightly remain until we get there but there are positives to take even from this depressing season.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Pagan
MVP

It's WAY too early to have any serious GM timeline convos.

Coaches stick around for a few years, GM's stick around for a few coaches.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:So how far do the MccASSkeys ride Pace. He is tied to Fox and their 3 yr record sucks. If he gets a new hire and the team sucks next year what do the Bears do? Do they give him more than one year with the new hire? Lots to consider, he has supplied Fox with the players and most can agree, they suck outside of a handful. In year 3 he picked projects (Shaheen and Cohen) would he not have been better off picking for this season?
Why is Pace tied to Fox? Explain. It was his first coaching hire, and it is well known that picking Fox was not entirely his decision.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:It's WAY too early to have any serious GM timeline convos.

Phil Emery says hi.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:

Phil Emery says hi.

Phil Emery fired Lovie Smith who went 10-6, and hired Marc Trestman over Bruce Arians. Then watched as Trestman sucked for two years, and lost the locker room. Emery couldn't draft to save his life, and signed some really questionable players.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Phil Emery says hi.

Phil Emery fired Lovie Smith who went 10-6, and hired Marc Trestman over Bruce Arians. Then watched as Trestman sucked for two years, and lost the locker room. Emery couldn't draft to save his life, and signed some really questionable players.
He was fired after 3 seasons, and with only one coach hired.....
Which was the point. It's not common, but not unheard of.

G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Phil Emery says hi.

If only we could have kept Marinelli... fucking Chicago.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Hematite
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Phil Emery says hi.

If only we could have kept Marinelli... fucking Chicago.
It would have only delayed the inevitable! Smith's roster was on a major decline with very little up and comer stock to replace aging vets.