12.10.17 // Bears dominate Bengals in 33-7 win

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:will we remain a 3-4 team if fangio peaces out?
God I hope so. We bent over backwards when Pace got here to switch our personnel to 3-4 fits. It would be really dumb to flip back the other way now. What would we do with Leonard Floyd? Trade him?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:I don't think Chubb is a 3-4 player.
I think he can be a 3-4 edge OLB. I know he's 275 pounds but I do think if he lost 10-15 pounds and played at 260-265 range, he could really be a force in a 34 defense.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:Part of me really wants Quenton Nelson. He can play either tackle or either guard spot. I'd love him as an upgrade over Massey and as a hedge to both guards and even Leno. He's a 6'5 320lb monster that's also incredibly nimble.
I think Nelson is a top 5 pick in this draft because of what you just stated. He's a rare talent that will go early and I don't see the Bears having the chance to get him.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

With a building block like Leonard Floyd, I don't think we would be switching schemes. Floyd's skillset is made for 3-4 defense and with him being such a key piece on the defense, I don't think they'd put him out of position for the sake of switching to a 4-3. Their personnel right now fits a 3-4.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Thinking out loud here... Could you imagine Hicks and Goldman as 4-3 DTs? Wow! Nobody would run on us. Of course, they wouldn't have to, since we don't have 4-3 DEs to rush the passer outside of Willie Young.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

DaSuperfan wrote:
With a building block like Leonard Floyd, I don't think we would be switching schemes. Floyd's skillset is made for 3-4 defense and with him being such a key piece on the defense, I don't think they'd put him out of position for the sake of switching to a 4-3. Their personnel right now fits a 3-4.
In fairness, Floyd is very comparable to Anthony Barr (6’5 255) and he does pretty well in Minnesota’s 4-3 Defense. Floyd is adept in coverage, he can blitz, he can drop down to end. If the Bears did switch back (I don’t think they will), their personnel would be ok. Remember, most of Young’ sacks have come with him in a 3pt stance. This is the first pure 3-4 Defense Hicks has played in. Goldman and Bullard both played in 4-3 defenses in college. Kawasaki was a 4-3 LB. So was Trevathan before Denver switched over.

They’d be ok. I don’t think they will switch, but I wouldn’t be worried if they did.