12.10.17 // Bears dominate Bengals in 33-7 win

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Very happy with this. I still don't think we're that far away if Pace sorts his free agency out and Trubisky is a genuinely competent QB. Games like this keep me hoping he'll be actually good.
Absolutely and that's why I'm hopeful. This team is not as bad as it's record and the potential between the QB, next year's high draft, new coaching, and cap room makes me think we'll be competitive next year.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think Trubisky is going to be really good with a competent HC. Today's play calling was similar to the Lions game and it's annoying that they can't call similar games like this every week.

Love seeing Trubisky, Shaheen, Cohen and Jackson all make impact plays that contributed to a win.
Never Die Easy
Richie
MVP

That was a really complete game by this team...

Trubisky really looked the part

Cincy has totally cashed in their season though, so I'll try to keep that in mind.
wab
Mod

wab wrote:This is the game where the Bears inexplicably roll someone.

Bears 27
Bengals 10
Weird.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
wab wrote:This is the game where the Bears inexplicably roll someone.

Bears 27
Bengals 10
Weird.
:grovel: <--- Also weird.

:-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
GSH
MVP

any word on shaheen's shoulder? he seemed pretty banged up after that TD. slow to get up.
G08
Hall of Famer

This was perfect for the development of Mitch and some of our other rookies. I felt it was Trubisky's best game, he looks so much better mechanically and he was ripping the ball in rhythm with his drop and throwing with anticipation. Kendall Wright may have bought himself a job next year as our slot WR!

Cohen looked good, Shaheen looked good, Jackson had two takeaways (INT and fumble). Not bad for a day's work.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

Wright over 100 yds.. The kids all looked like they are starting to get it..
Taking the wraps off Trubisky keeps the opposing D off Howard and Cohen. Give either a little opening and good things.. Pass opens up for run..Runs open for pass and NO ONE DIMENSIONAL CRAP FOX SHIT..

Both teams plaing without starters..I don't think any team has more on IR (again) as Bears..

Cinncy looked confused like a bully that got punched in the mouth a couple times and backed off..

I would like to know how much freedom Trubs had,,in changing or improvising..looked like a lot
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

GSH wrote:any word on shaheen's shoulder? he seemed pretty banged up after that TD. slow to get up.
Was wondering the same thing but he was back in the game and was blocking for Cohen downfield on that wildcat 29 yard run.
Never Die Easy
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

This team got a whole lot more attractive to prospective coaching candidates after this game. This year’s rookie class put on a show and those still standing from last year’s draft didn’t do too badly either.

Mitch Trubisky
25 of 32 (78.1%) for 271 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT (112.3 passer rating) plus 1 rushing TD
PFF Grade 88.6 (High Quality)

Adam Shaheen
4 catches for 44 yards and 1 TD
PFF Grade 86.0 (High Quality)

Tarik Cohen
12 carries for 80 yards (6.7 average) plus 2 catches for 5 yards

Eddie Jackson
3 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 INT (6 yard return), 1 FF with recovery

Cody Whitehair
PFF Grade 89.7 (High Quality)

Nick Kwiatkoski
2 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 pass defence

Jordan Howard
23 carries for 147 yards and 2 TDs plus 1 catch for 8 yards
PFF Grade 85.3 (High Quality)

(Jonathan Bullard didn’t show up in the game stats, although in the play by play he was credited with a half sack with Howard Jones.)

It's only one game, but it's got to be a confidence builder for those young guys that this is a team with the potential for rapid improvement next year. Add in the likes of Amos who was having himself a fine season prior to injury, Goldman and Floyd plus UFAs like Meredith and Callahan and there does seem to be some decent young talent, certainly a lot more than there was in the final years of Angelo's tenure and during Emery's stint. It indicates that Pace does have an eye for drafting. Let's hope this offseason he can extend that to his free agency pickups who have been rather more hit and miss.

(Edit: PFF grades taken from their 'Refocused' article.)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:
GSH wrote:any word on shaheen's shoulder? he seemed pretty banged up after that TD. slow to get up.
Was wondering the same thing but he was back in the game and was blocking for Cohen downfield on that wildcat 29 yard run.
he said after the game it was fine, and fox said they emerged from the game "relatively unscathed" soooo... it'll be amputated on tuesday.
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

Best throw of the day, IMO.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
GSH
MVP

the 0 INT's is huge, but im still mad at this season
GSH
MVP

also, thought Compton had a solid game, i like the guy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:This team got a whole lot more attractive to prospective coaching candidates after this game. This year’s rookie class put on a show and those still standing from last year’s draft didn’t do too badly either.

Mitch Trubisky
25 of 32 (78.1%) for 271 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT (112.3 passer rating) plus 1 rushing TD
PFF Grade 88.6 (High Quality)

Adam Shaheen
4 catches for 44 yards and 1 TD
PFF Grade 86.0 (High Quality)

Tarik Cohen
12 carries for 80 yards (6.7 average) plus 2 catches for 5 yards

Eddie Jackson
3 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 INT (6 yard return), 1 FF with recovery

Cody Whitehair
PFF Grade 89.7 (High Quality)

Nick Kwiatkoski
2 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 pass defence

Jordan Howard
23 carries for 147 yards and 2 TDs plus 1 catch for 8 yards
PFF Grade 85.3 (High Quality)

(Jonathan Bullard didn’t show up in the game stats, although in the play by play he was credited with a half sack with Howard Jones.)

It's only one game, but it's got to be a confidence builder for those young guys that this is a team with the potential for rapid improvement next year. Add in the likes of Amos who was having himself a fine season prior to injury, Goldman and Floyd plus UFAs like Meredith and Callahan and there does seem to be some decent young talent, certainly a lot more than there was in the final years of Angelo's tenure and during Emery's stint. It indicates that Pace does have an eye for drafting. Let's hope this offseason he can extend that to his free agency pickups who have been rather more hit and miss.

(Edit: PFF grades taken from their 'Refocused' article.)
All those guys making an impact indicates that Ryan Pace had a pretty good game, too.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Biscuit had his best game. He, they, we all needed to see that. Last week was better then the week prior, this week even better.

One shouldn't get to up or down in this process, but it's a positive sign.
MoFugger
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:I didn't watch the final 2 minutes of the game.

Did Biscuit finish it? I was rather PO'd that he was still in with less than 4 minutes left.
they did have him in there, but only to hand it off to cohen, who they tried their darndest to get injured.
Right? Seriously, what was the f****** point in that?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
MoFugger
Head Coach

docc wrote:They took the ropes off Trubisky..amazing what can happen when the D can't stack the box. The run game then opens up more of the pass..
You know..

Like in REAL FOOTBALL..

Fox looked confused..
"What is happening?"
They didn't take the ropes off of anybody.
The run up the score against the team that didn't give a f*** anymore.
Biscuit, and Kendall Wright, we're fantasy Superstars this week.
But this is still the same team that is going to hand the Browns their first win. Maybe they're second, the Browns are a really good-looking team.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
docc
Head Coach

Well there it is then.. Cinncy lost psychologically..and you know the future..
OK..

Enjoy//
BR0D1E86
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:I think Trubisky is going to be really good with a competent HC. Today's play calling was similar to the Lions game and it's annoying that they can't call similar games like this every week.

Love seeing Trubisky, Shaheen, Cohen and Jackson all make impact plays that contributed to a win.
It’s crazy. For most of the season it’s been like they’ve intentionally game planning away from their players’ strengths and highlighting their weaknesses. This is one of the few times they’ve appeared to make any effort to call plays that their players run well. Shockingly, they looked better when the coaches aren’t calling plays that are designed for them to fail.
malk
Head Coach

The Bengals aren't that bad and Dalton to Green is a threat every week. Plus, this wasn't us stumbling to a poor win against another poor team or even putting a good game together to get a good team, it was a blowout and that's significant. It's really easy to be pessimistic and say how banged up the Benglas were but how many times have we lost to banged up teams, let alone blown them out?

Good to see Shaheen growing too, I'm hoping he makes Sims expendable as that's not looking like a great contract right now.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

What I would like to know is...What happened? What changed. What did they do this week that wasn't there in the past? Why did Fox all of the sudden take the reigns off of Trubisky?
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:What I would like to know is...What happened? What changed. What did they do this week that wasn't there in the past? Why did Fox all of the sudden take the reigns off of Trubisky?
They don't know. It was simply decided in some personality-barren meeting room.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:What I would like to know is...What happened? What changed. What did they do this week that wasn't there in the past? Why did Fox all of the sudden take the reigns off of Trubisky?
They don't know. It was simply decided in some personality-barren meeting room.

maybe the coaching staff realizes their fates are pretty much sealed so finally gave approval for the full playbook to be used?

everything the Bears did successfully in the passing game is what we had been pleading/begging for since Trubisky was made the starter ... and look what happens - he completes darts for first downs while on the run

over 200 yards rushing, Trubisky efficient and passing for his best game as a Bear ... I was shocked by what I was seeing ... not because of what they did worked but because what they did was finally let Trubisky play
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

This is what happens when you have nothing left to lose.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

perhaps

but if they had been smarter and done it much earlier they would have been looking at how they had so much to gain
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hematite
Player of the Month

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:

perhaps

but if they had been smarter and done it much earlier they would have been looking at how they had so much to gain
Part of me believes Trubisky wasn't ready earlier this season for the reigns to be removed. Not making excuses for Fox at all, but Trubisky just looks like one of those hard workers that takes any negative and works his ass off until its a positive.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I kiiiiiind of wonder if Pace came down and told Fox to open things up on offense and play the rookies if he wants to keep his job and close out this season.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I wonder if Ryan Pace didn't get involved. It was ridiculous that Shaheen wasn't more involved last week.

It's maddening that it doesn't seem like they opened up the offense that much more over what they were doing. But they mixed up their down and distance play calling and just threw it more. How much more did they throw it on 1st and 2nd down this week? That alone I think put Cincy at a disadvantage as they were cheating up expecting more early down runs.

The one thing that really confused me in the game was... It's hard to believe that Dontrelle Inman didn't have ONE target in a Trubisky coming out party.

Richie
MVP

malk wrote:The Bengals aren't that bad and Dalton to Green is a threat every week. Plus, this wasn't us stumbling to a poor win against another poor team or even putting a good game together to get a good team, it was a blowout and that's significant. It's really easy to be pessimistic and say how banged up the Benglas were but how many times have we lost to banged up teams, let alone blown them out?

Good to see Shaheen growing too, I'm hoping he makes Sims expendable as that's not looking like a great contract right now.
The Bengals aren't bad when healthy, but their entire D and top two RB's are hurt. Plus, they've clearly cashed it in for the season, after melting down last Monday Night.

Marvin Lewis is finally a dead man walking, and that team is ready for the season to end.