2018 Cap Space

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
wab wrote:
There were years when Angelo had a lot of picks but landed few quality players
This is off topic...but for a long time, JA killed it in the draft. It wasn’t until they extended Lovie and gave him personnel control that the drafts started going south.
If Angelo could have ever figured out the quarterback position he’d have won us a couple super bowls. He built a heck of a good roster other than that position.
They were banking on Rex. I talked to Gabriel about it and he said they knew that height limited the kid but he moved so well in the pocket and always found throwing lanes so they figured he could mitigate it (think Drew Brees). He said once he broke his ankle (had something like 21 pins in there at one point) he wasn't the same player.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

ysleblanc
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Rakshir wrote:The whole arguement of Glennon signing being a smokescreen so Pace could get his guy is false to me. If his subterfuge would've worked we wouldn't have needed to move up one pick still to select him.

That would be true if the only three teams in the nfl were the Bears, Browns and 49ers. Any team could have traded up there and Pace reportedly made the trade when teams were trying to get to #3 to get Trubisky and he thought they’d move on to 2 next.

Also, that part of it was somewhat overplayed. He was sold on Trubisky, but he wanted him to sit for a while. Unfortunately Glennon just crapped the bed.

A big part of why Glennon struggled is 1-he lost his 2 top WR almost from day 1 2-the schedule the first moth was brutal and 3-the interior of the offensive line was banged up. Glennon showed he was a serviceable NFL QB in TB. His TD-INT ratio was 30-15 coming in and he played as well as Trubisky did this year.
ysleblanc
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
wab wrote:
There were years when Angelo had a lot of picks but landed few quality players
This is off topic...but for a long time, JA killed it in the draft. It wasn’t until they extended Lovie and gave him personnel control that the drafts started going south.
If Angelo could have ever figured out the quarterback position he’d have won us a couple super bowls. He built a heck of a good roster other than that position.

The Bears problem the last 10 years is, they needed a guy like Cutler when they had a dominant defense. By the time they got Cutler, the defense was old and breaking down.
ysleblanc
MVP

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/mak ... coach/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Unlike others on IR, Freeman no longer has a locker at Halas Hall.
That's interesting
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
ysleblanc
MVP

Moriarty wrote:
Unlike others on IR, Freeman no longer has a locker at Halas Hall.
That's interesting

I definitely could see them moving on, but Freeman is a better player than Kwiatkowski(who seems to have no instincts) and Timu(who has poor foot speed).
wab
Mod

I'd hope they cut Wheaton and give his money to Wright.
ysleblanc
MVP

CB Marcus Cooper
2018 salary-cap hit: $5.5 million.
Dead money (if cut): $1 million.

S Quintin Demps
2018 cap hit: $3.9 million.
Dead money: $666,667.

LB Jerrell Freeman
2018 cap hit: $4 million.
Dead money: $500,000.

QB Mike Glennon
2018 cap hit: $16 million.
Dead money: $4.5 million.

OLB Pernell McPhee
2018 cap hit: $8.075 million.
Dead money: $1 million.

WR Markus Wheaton
2018 cap hit: $5.75 million.
Dead money: $750,000.

Those would be my guesses...

Total dead money: 8.4M
Total Savings: 43.2M

Would push the cap room to 89.4M.

Here are the definite starters needed with that money(or via the draft):

Offense:
#1 WR

Defense:
#2 OLB
#2 DE(Unrein?)
#1 CB(Fuller?)
#2 CB(Amukamara?)

Obviously if they decide to draft a T early, Massie(500k dead and 5.6M savings) could be added to the cut list. Same for Sitton(667k dead and 8M savings) at guard. They might decide to use Bullard and RRH at De instead of signing a veteran. I would spend cap room and capital on creating a dominant pass defense, re-sign or upgrade at CB, then add at OLB and DE. The offense is largely intact except for a WR(free agency if it exists, Landy? Robinson?).
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think they should plan to spend on oline, too. Grasu didn't work out. Sitton and Long have health issues.

Massie has looked OK and even if we draft an OT I'm good with keeping Massie as depth (or letting the youngster sit and learn while he gets conditioned for the NFL). Considering our cap space and tendency for injuries in this group, I wouldn't mind having a guy getting paid $6m on the bench in Week 1 if Trubisky isn't immediately in danger when we have our first injury. There's no real way to spend on weapons for him, so lets spend on keeping him protected.

Also, this will be discussed in another thread, but I'm not sure we can play to draft oline high with the situation at CB and WR.
xyt in the discord chats
malk
Head Coach

Willie Young has to be on the bubble too. Back loaded contract, marginal production and an injury means $5.4m looks like a lot. Only $900k to cut.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I think they should plan to spend on oline, too. Grasu didn't work out. Sitton and Long have health issues.

Massie has looked OK and even if we draft an OT I'm good with keeping Massie as depth (or letting the youngster sit and learn while he gets conditioned for the NFL). Considering our cap space and tendency for injuries in this group, I wouldn't mind having a guy getting paid $6m on the bench in Week 1 if Trubisky isn't immediately in danger when we have our first injury. There's no real way to spend on weapons for him, so lets spend on keeping him protected.

Also, this will be discussed in another thread, but I'm not sure we can play to draft oline high with the situation at CB and WR.
I wouldnt be surprised if we go into next season with whitehair/long/sitton/kush/jordan morgan as our interior players. i know it's a huge gamble, but that frees us up quite a bit to focus elsewhere.
wab
Mod

A lot of it depends on the offense the new guy wants to run. The Bears offensive live has been a mashup of different types of different styles of players. There are finesse guys in Leno and Grasu. Power guys in Massie and Sitton. And balanced types who may or may not be playing their best positions in Long and Whitehair (although it’s too late in Long’s career to really do anything about it).

If you look at some of the most successful lines in the NFL, they are compromised of similar players that fit a certain philosophy. Players shouldn’t have to be moved around constantly to find their best fit.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Willie Young has to be on the bubble too. Back loaded contract, marginal production and an injury means $5.4m looks like a lot. Only $900k to cut.
Yes, Young is not a great player. But... With basically the fragile Floyd and no other pass rushers on the roster, do you just add that as another guy to have to get in FA? What is the cost and value of re-signs Acho and Houston? How many spots do we open up that have to be filled?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:CB Marcus Cooper

S Quintin Demps

LB Jerrell Freeman

QB Mike Glennon

OLB Pernell McPhee

WR Markus Wheaton

Offense:
#1 WR

Defense:
#2 OLB
#2 DE(Unrein?)
#1 CB(Fuller?)
#2 CB(Amukamara?)

Obviously if they decide to draft a T early, Massie(500k dead and 5.6M savings) could be added to the cut list. Same for Sitton(667k dead and 8M savings) at guard. They might decide to use Bullard and RRH at De instead of signing a veteran. I would spend cap room and capital on creating a dominant pass defense, re-sign or upgrade at CB, then add at OLB and DE. The offense is largely intact except for a WR(free agency if it exists, Landy? Robinson?).
They absolutely have to sign a #1 WR; Robinson or Watkins.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’d like to see them throw money at Robinson or Watkins (I prefer Robinson), at least one of our two current cb’s (I’d be ok with both), and spend the rest in depth on the lines and linebacker.

Then draft a pass rusher in rd 1, wr in rd 2.
ysleblanc
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:I think they should plan to spend on oline, too. Grasu didn't work out. Sitton and Long have health issues.

Why would there not be a way to spend on weapons? there are some good FA WR plus you have the draft. I agree that depth is very important with this line, they seem banged up a lot in the middle. Morgan was a draft pick last year, I'm sure they are counting on him, Kush also plus Grasu. I would bring back Compton. In terms of bigger moves, I would not be against drafting tackle fairly early and battling for Massie's spot. Is there a FA guard better/more reliable than Sitton?
ysleblanc
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:CB Marcus Cooper

S Quintin Demps

LB Jerrell Freeman

QB Mike Glennon

OLB Pernell McPhee

WR Markus Wheaton

Offense:
#1 WR

Defense:
#2 OLB
#2 DE(Unrein?)
#1 CB(Fuller?)
#2 CB(Amukamara?)

They absolutely have to sign a #1 WR; Robinson or Watkins.
I would go after Landry before Watkins.
ysleblanc
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
malk wrote:Willie Young has to be on the bubble too. Back loaded contract, marginal production and an injury means $5.4m looks like a lot. Only $900k to cut.
Yes, Young is not a great player. But... With basically the fragile Floyd and no other pass rushers on the roster, do you just add that as another guy to have to get in FA? What is the cost and value of re-signs Acho and Houston? How many spots do we open up that have to be filled?

I would definitely keep Young at this point. Lot of worse players to cut to create cap space. I would look at drafting and signing edge rushers before cutting Young. At this point I would be fine with Young-Houston as #3-4 OLB. Cut McPhee and go after a top end FA or 1st rounder.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I would definitely keep Young at this point. Lot of worse players to cut to create cap space. I would look at drafting and signing edge rushers before cutting Young. At this point I would be fine with Young-Houston as #3-4 OLB. Cut McPhee and go after a top end FA or 1st rounder.
That's how I would do it for now too. I really liked what Houston showed us at the end of the year and I like Young. We have the cap flexibility to sign a legit name #1 WR and a pass rusher.

McKnee kneeds to go. That just didn't work out.

With the QBs that'll be taken at the top of the draft, we're going to have a great shot at one of the better defensive players. It might happen.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:

Why would there not be a way to spend on weapons? there are some good FA WR plus you have the draft. I agree that depth is very important with this line, they seem banged up a lot in the middle. Morgan was a draft pick last year, I'm sure they are counting on him, Kush also plus Grasu. I would bring back Compton. In terms of bigger moves, I would not be against drafting tackle fairly early and battling for Massie's spot. Is there a FA guard better/more reliable than Sitton?
I think you're more impressed with the FA WRs than I am, and a lot more confident that we'll get our top choice. Now that we have Nagy, though, I think we can do more without a Julio Jones type of WR because he's good with smaller guys and a guy like Wilson will be inexpensive (relative to Landry). I've changed my opinion about drafting OL and now thinking OL/CB/OLB early, WR/CB/OLB later.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:

I think you're more impressed with the FA WRs than I am, and a lot more confident that we'll get our top choice. Now that we have Nagy, though, I think we can do more without a Julio Jones type of WR because he's good with smaller guys and a guy like Wilson will be inexpensive (relative to Landry). I've changed my opinion about drafting OL and now thinking OL/CB/OLB early, WR/CB/OLB later.
Yeah, I'm not impressed with the FA group of WR's at all. Plus most of them probably won't even hit the market. Albert Wilson and a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with a few of the Bears holdovers isn't that bad of a situation.
malk
Head Coach

Hopefully we start to become a draw for free agents. With a highly regarded new OC, a young QB on the uptick and a wide-open #1 spot, perhaps someone sees an opportunity to make a name for themselves. Normally I like a longer deal but in this case getting a wideout in on a prove it deal could give us the time to develop our own and get back some health.

The offensive line is my biggest concern though. There's a lot of money invested in Sitton and Long and both are becoming injury risks. A centre ripe for the new scheme would be a decent shot for me. Kick Whitehair out to RG and Long to RT. Hiestand to bring it all together.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Middleguard
MVP

Agree with your concern about the Oline. Assuming the Bears have successfully established a QB and scheme for the next several years, they need to set their OL for a similar period. I doubt Sitton (age + injuries) or Massie (scheme + ability) will be retained after this year, or that Long will last until the end of his '21 contract.

Bears need to establish a longterm OL pipeline that's more than UDFAs on the practice squad and dubious rent-a-players. Even Kush, if he recovers, is too old to be considered longterm. But Morgan, if he sticks next year, I would have to call true pipeline player even if he isn't all that good.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Yeah, I'm not impressed with the FA group of WR's at all. Plus most of them probably won't even hit the market. Albert Wilson and a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with a few of the Bears holdovers isn't that bad of a situation.[/quote]

It's not a great group but there are a bunch of 2s and 3s. Or guys who have some potential. Most won't hit the market.

walterfootball.com/freeagents2018CB.php

Excluding the top couple, these guys might be worth a look.

Paul Richardson
Albert Wilson
Marqise Lee
Quincy Enunwa
malk
Head Coach

Just a thought, who are these two recievers:

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch%
2017 wr 16 10 69 38 555 14.6 2 46 2.4 34.7 55.1%
2017 wr 13 7 62 42 554 13.2 3 63 3.2 42.6 67.7%

Anyway, I hope we give Mike Wallace a look. Everyone looks past older receivers but on a cheap contract, he could provide a quality veteran presence on a young offence. That and a much needed deep threat.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of any of them.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:If you're into this kind of stuff, because I know I am(!):

https://overthecap.com/calculator/chicago-bears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I was GM, I would have about $76 million available in cap space after some cuts.
Holy crap, I could spend hours on this. Actually I think I will. I'm going to put together my version and post a link.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:If you're into this kind of stuff, because I know I am(!):

https://overthecap.com/calculator/chicago-bears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I was GM, I would have about $76 million available in cap space after some cuts.
Holy crap, I could spend hours on this. Actually I think I will. I'm going to put together my version and post a link.
There's the Spotrac one too, www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap/. That one will give you a link to publish your version which is a nice touch.

I still think I'm missing something about restructures though. Is there a rule that there's a minimum amount that you can restructure a base salary down by? I want to know if it is legal under cap rules to ask a player to take a pay cut rather than convert base salary into a signing bonus or other such net zero restructure.

Likely immaterial but I'd still like confirmation. Perhaps I should ask...