2018 Cap Space

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I really liked the Kendall Wright signing, but if we can keep Inman for reletively cheap, I'd take Jarvis Landry over him in a heart beat.(Obviously) He's like what he had at Chapel Hill in Ryan Switzer, only infinitely more talented.
malk
Head Coach

Your regular reminder that dead money is a failure of a GM. Inevitable in some cases but if we have the amount I'm expecting in 2018 then it's a pretty bad indictment of Pace's free agency.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Richie
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:I really liked the Kendall Wright signing, but if we can keep Inman for reletively cheap, I'd take Jarvis Landry over him in a heart beat.(Obviously) He's like what he had at Chapel Hill in Ryan Switzer, only infinitely more talented.
Uh... Outside of Glennon, there's nobody who will cost us more than one million in dead cap. Most are under that mark.
Richie
MVP

Moriarty wrote:It's not as good as it sounds.

That 40M figure involves the Bears having an almost league-low (tied for 2nd fewest) number of players under contract for 2018.

Just filling the bottom of the roster with near-minimum nobodies will cost you 14M right off.
This is a good point. I must say.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:

That 40M figure involves the Bears having an almost league-low (tied for 2nd fewest) number of players under contract for 2018.

Just filling the bottom of the roster with near-minimum nobodies will cost you 14M right off.
This is a good point. I must say.
Agreed.
ysleblanc
MVP

Richie wrote:
GSH wrote:my take on those:

Amukamara(7M) - not been impressed by his performance thus far
Inman(2.75M) - keeper
Fuller(2.4M) - keeper
Wright(2M) - let him go
Unrein(1.13M) - prefer bullard
Santos(700K) - not seen enough, prefer to go younger
O'Donnel(580K) - keeper
Callahan(615k) - let him go
Cairo Santos has been one of the best kickers in the league since coming in, and he's only 26.

We'd be pretty stupid to let him go, and start this kicking carousel all over again.

I agree, Santos is very young by kicking standards. AT WORST I would sign him and bring in competition in camp.
G08
Hall of Famer

ysleblanc wrote:
Richie wrote:
GSH wrote:my take on those:

Amukamara(7M) - not been impressed by his performance thus far
Inman(2.75M) - keeper
Fuller(2.4M) - keeper
Wright(2M) - let him go
Unrein(1.13M) - prefer bullard
Santos(700K) - not seen enough, prefer to go younger
O'Donnel(580K) - keeper
Callahan(615k) - let him go
Cairo Santos has been one of the best kickers in the league since coming in, and he's only 26.

We'd be pretty stupid to let him go, and start this kicking carousel all over again.

I agree, Santos is very young by kicking standards. AT WORST I would sign him and bring in competition in camp.
I'm surprised he didn't do ARP therapy (hurts like a mother fucker I'm told) like Cutler did when he tore his groin.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
ysleblanc
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:If you cut white it's all dead money as his last year is 100% guaranteed. No way around it being a 5.3 million dead cap money hit.

Glennon 11.5M(4.5M dead money)... No brainer cut.
McPhee 7M(1M dead money)... Needs to go.
Sims 5.6M(670k dead money)... Could go either way. $5.6M is a bit high, but big need area with both he and Miller gone.
Massie 5.6M(500k dead money)... Keep.
Wheaton 5M(750k dead money)... Absolutely gone.
Cooper 4.5M(1M dead money)... Keep maybe?
White 5.3M(no dead money)... Keep. Last chance contract year.
Demps 3.67M(667K dead money)... See ya.

My bad, I misread the White situation on overthecap.com. Don't think he is getting cut regardless, maybe a trade if they don't figure he will pan out.
ysleblanc
MVP

It's good when you look at all the guys they can cut and get big savings without losing key players. They can free up 25-30M without really any drop off on the roster.

Cooper Demps McPhee Glennon and Wheaton would not be big losses...11.5+7+4.5+5+3.67=31.67M
malk
Head Coach

Richie wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:I really liked the Kendall Wright signing, but if we can keep Inman for reletively cheap, I'd take Jarvis Landry over him in a heart beat.(Obviously) He's like what he had at Chapel Hill in Ryan Switzer, only infinitely more talented.
Uh... Outside of Glennon, there's nobody who will cost us more than one million in dead cap. Most are under that mark.
And? The Glennon contact was double awful. Officially it'll hit as $4.5m dead money but is there any way it wasn't really $18.5m? It was a mistake of epic proportions.

Of the others, it doesn't matter that they're under $1m if there are too many of them. Wheaton, Cooper, Demps and Young are close to $2.5m. Houston is another million in 2018. Are we going to keep Sims for over $6m?

And what of Amukamara this year? $7m on another wasted year. The $5m already wasted on Cooper. Pace is pretty damn bad at free agency.

Also, to get me back on topic, I don't think that $40m includes the $8m we can roll over from this year.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

Glennon has offsets in his contract so if he signs somewhere for 4.5 million dollars, we are absolved.
ysleblanc
MVP

G08 wrote:Glennon has offsets in his contract so if he signs somewhere for 4.5 million dollars, we are absolved.
Even better.
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote:Glennon has offsets in his contract so if he signs somewhere for 4.5 million dollars, we are absolved.
Cool. He’ll sign somewhere, so we’ll get at least a chunk of that back.
G08
Hall of Famer

We paid $18.5 million to see if he could be a starter in this league and to throw the scent off that we were hot for Trubisky..

He clearly cannot be a starter in the NFL.
malk
Head Coach

Got a link? Not questioning, just interested!

Not sure he'll even make that much next year though and a $14.5m waste of cap space this year is still the difference between us signing Bouye and Wagner. Oh and in case someone mentions that we made them offers, add a split of $14.5m to their offers from the Jaguars and Lions and tell me they don't sign with us.

Anyway, if that's the case we could have an incredible amount of cap space next year. Over $100m if we include Glennon, McPhee, Sims, Massie, Wheaton, Cooper, Young, Demps and Freeman.

Now I don't think we make that may cuts, Sims and Massie are the obvious hold overs and I could see Demps and Freeman stick around. Still that's a pile of cash even after filling up the empty roster spots for $12m or whatever. Also bear in mind that if you are filling up those roster spots with a cap hold amount, then you can knock half a million of the cap cost of new signings in their first year.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, he'll absolutely sign somewhere for league minimum. which'll be a smidge under 800k for mike.
G08
Hall of Famer

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bear ... non-12354/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2018 offset available, 2019 roster bonus will not be met.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bear ... non-12354/

So if his 2018 salary is $2.5m or more we offset that amount or am I reading that wrong?

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:

So if his 2018 salary is $2.5m or more we offset that amount or am I reading that wrong?
I took it to mean we have $4.5 in dead money, $2.5 of which is next season but can be offset if a team signs him for at least $2.5 million, which they will. As for 2019, I'm a little confused there but I believe he can't earn that roster bonus since he will not be here and if he's on another roster it will be covered..
BR0D1E86
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:yeah, he'll absolutely sign somewhere for league minimum. which'll be a smidge under 800k for mike.
He’ll get backup qb money, so at least a couple million.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
malk wrote:

I took it to mean we have $4.5 in dead money, $2.5 of which is next season but can be offset if a team signs him for at least $2.5 million, which they will. As for 2019, I'm a little confused there but I believe he can't earn that roster bonus since he will not be here and if he's on another roster it will be covered..
There's $4.5m of dead money if we cut in 2018 of which $2m is the remaining pro rated signing bonus and $2.5m is the guaranteed roster bonus. I'm presuming that roster bonus is scrubbed if he's on another roster for an equivalent amount or more but it isn't language I recall seeing before.

wab
Mod

Pace bought Glennon for the opportunity to possibly trade him. It was widely reported that the Bucs turned down several trade offers for him last year. If he works out, Trubisky sits for a year and Pace gets to flip him for a pick to recoup what he gave up to move to #2. If he doesn’t, the Bears aren’t out that much money.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:Pace bought Glennon for the opportunity to possibly trade him. It was widely reported that the Bucs turned down several trade offers for him last year. If he works out, Trubisky sits for a year and Pace gets to flip him for a pick to recoup what he gave up to move to #2. If he doesn’t, the Bears aren’t out that much money.
I know why Pace did it but it doesn't stop it being bafflingly stupid. Just thing of what needs to go right for Glennon to be tradable. Our lacklustre offence and Fox's conservative play need to be overcome by a marginal talent in his first year in a scheme. Plus he needs to do well enough to justify paying him $15m a year. Sure that's not a big QB contract but it's enough not to risk a high pick without a very good season under their belt. And teams just don't trade high draft picks easily.

What was the best we could hope for, a second? Is that worth $16.5m? I'd argue not.

Plus I still maintain we'd have been better signing Barkley to a cheap multi year deal, showing he was serviceable and trading that cheap deal.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Given that the Bears traded up for (one pick up I can't believe it) and drafted a QB #2 overall I'm shocked that they signed Glennon leading up to the draft for that kind of money. I doubt Pace woke up on draft day and decided to draft Biscuit or a QB in round 1. Yet he drafts a guy after signing someone for three years.
Hematite
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote:Given that the Bears traded up for (one pick up I can't believe it) and drafted a QB #2 overall I'm shocked that they signed Glennon leading up to the draft for that kind of money. I doubt Pace woke up on draft day and decided to draft Biscuit or a QB in round 1. Yet he drafts a guy after signing someone for three years.
It makes perfect sense if all along, Pace was targeting a 1 year college starter with 13 games QB'd since High School.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Hematite wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Given that the Bears traded up for (one pick up I can't believe it) and drafted a QB #2 overall I'm shocked that they signed Glennon leading up to the draft for that kind of money. I doubt Pace woke up on draft day and decided to draft Biscuit or a QB in round 1. Yet he drafts a guy after signing someone for three years.
It makes perfect sense if all along, Pace was targeting a 1 year college starter with 13 games QB'd since High School.
There is nothing wrong with double dipping into a position of need. Especially when most important one
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Pace bought Glennon for the opportunity to possibly trade him. It was widely reported that the Bucs turned down several trade offers for him last year. If he works out, Trubisky sits for a year and Pace gets to flip him for a pick to recoup what he gave up to move to #2. If he doesn’t, the Bears aren’t out that much money.
Had it worked out, it would've been a shrewd move that a lot of people would be praising him for. It's just too bad that Glennon wet the bed in his opportunity. I think losing Meredith and White washing out were bigger factors in his failure than Fox's conservative impact on the offense. It's not like Glennon's game plans were dialed back anything like Biscuit's have been.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:
Hematite wrote:
There is nothing wrong with double dipping into a position of need. Especially when most important one
I agree, particularly when the guy who isn't the one you expect and want to take over is on an easily cuttable contract.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Had it worked out, it would've been a shrewd move that a lot of people would be praising him for. It's just too bad that Glennon wet the bed in his opportunity. I think losing Meredith and White washing out were bigger factors in his failure than Fox's conservative impact on the offense. It's not like Glennon's game plans were dialed back anything like Biscuit's have been.
I just can't believe the pass he gets for "had it worked out". Pace made a bet that, at absolute best, means he bought a 1st round pick for $16.5. The odds of Glennon playing well enough in one year to warrant a 1st round pick are vanishingly small and, if Glennon had played that well, Pace would likely be forced to keep him and instead trade Trubisky or let him rot as a backup until we traded him for a lower pick than he was drafted at.

More reasonably Glennon could have been ok and we could have flipped him to a QB desperate team for a 2nd round pick but that's probably conditional on a team getting a late injury which is another big if. Otherwise, what's the most a team has ever traded for an average to decent QB with one year of experience? Most teams would prefer the 2nd rounder to draft their own.

Saying we aren't out that much money is ridiculous too. Glennon's guaranteed money, $16.5m, is 9.5% of this year's cap and the difference between us having Amukamara and Massie rather than Bouye and Wagner.

Glennon is the highest paid player on our roster, it's insane to think that isn't much money.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
I just can't believe the pass he gets for "had it worked out". Pace made a bet that, at absolute best, means he bought a 1st round pick for $16.5. The odds of Glennon playing well enough in one year to warrant a 1st round pick are vanishingly small and, if Glennon had played that well, Pace would likely be forced to keep him and instead trade Trubisky or let him rot as a backup until we traded him for a lower pick than he was drafted at.

More reasonably Glennon could have been ok and we could have flipped him to a QB desperate team for a 2nd round pick but that's probably conditional on a team getting a late injury which is another big if. Otherwise, what's the most a team has ever traded for an average to decent QB with one year of experience? Most teams would prefer the 2nd rounder to draft their own.

Saying we aren't out that much money is ridiculous too. Glennon's guaranteed money, $16.5m, is 9.5% of this year's cap and the difference between us having Amukamara and Massie rather than Bouye and Wagner.

Glennon is the highest paid player on our roster, it's insane to think that isn't much money.
"Getting a pass" is overstating it. I'm just trying to look at it logically. It's free agency. You win some you lose some, even with QBs. The Bears aren't the only team to pay starter $$$ to somebody else's backup only for the move to fail. Just ask Houston about Brock Osweiler. And clearly we paid low end starter money.

You have to look at the situation. We had already decided to dump Cutler. And they apparently had decided that they wanted Trubisky, who by all accounts would not be ready to play right away. So they had to get a place holder to start. Keeping Jay Cutler--what I voted for--would've cost them $12+M, but could've created locker room chaos. My 2nd choice--Brian Hoyer--I think would've cost them $9M or more AND Hoyer had to want to play here, which is unknown and maybe not an option. Both he and Barkley went to SF pretty quick as I recall, so Barkley may not have been an option, either.

The point is that you had to bring in somebody to start. And if you can get lucky and the guy plays well enough to keep (great problem to have) or 2nd best, get you a draft pick for him, that's a possiblility you're not going to have with those other schmucks and Pace comes out smelling like a rose. As it turned out, it didn't work out. But there weren't a bunch of other good options that Pace had to work with.

Yeah, $18M is a lot of dough, but that's the cost of doing business for NFL QBs. And you know what? We have $14M of that back going into this offseason. $18M of bad money for 1 year is nothing like $15M/year for 4 years that you just have to live with like an anchor around your salary cap neck.

The worst part of that deal wasn't the money. It was that we brought him in so that Biscuit could sit and learn and not be thrown into the fire, but he was so bad that we had to do that anyway. Fortunately, Biscuit is surviving. And next year, we'll spend that $$$ on other players and life will go on like Mike Glennon never happened.