2018 Cap Space

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Glennon has offsets in his contract so if he signs somewhere for 4.5 million dollars, we are absolved.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
ysleblanc
MVP

G08 wrote:Glennon has offsets in his contract so if he signs somewhere for 4.5 million dollars, we are absolved.
Even better.
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote:Glennon has offsets in his contract so if he signs somewhere for 4.5 million dollars, we are absolved.
Cool. He’ll sign somewhere, so we’ll get at least a chunk of that back.
G08
Hall of Famer

We paid $18.5 million to see if he could be a starter in this league and to throw the scent off that we were hot for Trubisky..

He clearly cannot be a starter in the NFL.
malk
Head Coach

Got a link? Not questioning, just interested!

Not sure he'll even make that much next year though and a $14.5m waste of cap space this year is still the difference between us signing Bouye and Wagner. Oh and in case someone mentions that we made them offers, add a split of $14.5m to their offers from the Jaguars and Lions and tell me they don't sign with us.

Anyway, if that's the case we could have an incredible amount of cap space next year. Over $100m if we include Glennon, McPhee, Sims, Massie, Wheaton, Cooper, Young, Demps and Freeman.

Now I don't think we make that may cuts, Sims and Massie are the obvious hold overs and I could see Demps and Freeman stick around. Still that's a pile of cash even after filling up the empty roster spots for $12m or whatever. Also bear in mind that if you are filling up those roster spots with a cap hold amount, then you can knock half a million of the cap cost of new signings in their first year.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, he'll absolutely sign somewhere for league minimum. which'll be a smidge under 800k for mike.
G08
Hall of Famer

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bear ... non-12354/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2018 offset available, 2019 roster bonus will not be met.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bear ... non-12354/

So if his 2018 salary is $2.5m or more we offset that amount or am I reading that wrong?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:

So if his 2018 salary is $2.5m or more we offset that amount or am I reading that wrong?
I took it to mean we have $4.5 in dead money, $2.5 of which is next season but can be offset if a team signs him for at least $2.5 million, which they will. As for 2019, I'm a little confused there but I believe he can't earn that roster bonus since he will not be here and if he's on another roster it will be covered..
BR0D1E86
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:yeah, he'll absolutely sign somewhere for league minimum. which'll be a smidge under 800k for mike.
He’ll get backup qb money, so at least a couple million.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
malk wrote:

I took it to mean we have $4.5 in dead money, $2.5 of which is next season but can be offset if a team signs him for at least $2.5 million, which they will. As for 2019, I'm a little confused there but I believe he can't earn that roster bonus since he will not be here and if he's on another roster it will be covered..
There's $4.5m of dead money if we cut in 2018 of which $2m is the remaining pro rated signing bonus and $2.5m is the guaranteed roster bonus. I'm presuming that roster bonus is scrubbed if he's on another roster for an equivalent amount or more but it isn't language I recall seeing before.

wab
Mod

Pace bought Glennon for the opportunity to possibly trade him. It was widely reported that the Bucs turned down several trade offers for him last year. If he works out, Trubisky sits for a year and Pace gets to flip him for a pick to recoup what he gave up to move to #2. If he doesn’t, the Bears aren’t out that much money.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:Pace bought Glennon for the opportunity to possibly trade him. It was widely reported that the Bucs turned down several trade offers for him last year. If he works out, Trubisky sits for a year and Pace gets to flip him for a pick to recoup what he gave up to move to #2. If he doesn’t, the Bears aren’t out that much money.
I know why Pace did it but it doesn't stop it being bafflingly stupid. Just thing of what needs to go right for Glennon to be tradable. Our lacklustre offence and Fox's conservative play need to be overcome by a marginal talent in his first year in a scheme. Plus he needs to do well enough to justify paying him $15m a year. Sure that's not a big QB contract but it's enough not to risk a high pick without a very good season under their belt. And teams just don't trade high draft picks easily.

What was the best we could hope for, a second? Is that worth $16.5m? I'd argue not.

Plus I still maintain we'd have been better signing Barkley to a cheap multi year deal, showing he was serviceable and trading that cheap deal.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Given that the Bears traded up for (one pick up I can't believe it) and drafted a QB #2 overall I'm shocked that they signed Glennon leading up to the draft for that kind of money. I doubt Pace woke up on draft day and decided to draft Biscuit or a QB in round 1. Yet he drafts a guy after signing someone for three years.
Hematite
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote:Given that the Bears traded up for (one pick up I can't believe it) and drafted a QB #2 overall I'm shocked that they signed Glennon leading up to the draft for that kind of money. I doubt Pace woke up on draft day and decided to draft Biscuit or a QB in round 1. Yet he drafts a guy after signing someone for three years.
It makes perfect sense if all along, Pace was targeting a 1 year college starter with 13 games QB'd since High School.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Hematite wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Given that the Bears traded up for (one pick up I can't believe it) and drafted a QB #2 overall I'm shocked that they signed Glennon leading up to the draft for that kind of money. I doubt Pace woke up on draft day and decided to draft Biscuit or a QB in round 1. Yet he drafts a guy after signing someone for three years.
It makes perfect sense if all along, Pace was targeting a 1 year college starter with 13 games QB'd since High School.
There is nothing wrong with double dipping into a position of need. Especially when most important one
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Pace bought Glennon for the opportunity to possibly trade him. It was widely reported that the Bucs turned down several trade offers for him last year. If he works out, Trubisky sits for a year and Pace gets to flip him for a pick to recoup what he gave up to move to #2. If he doesn’t, the Bears aren’t out that much money.
Had it worked out, it would've been a shrewd move that a lot of people would be praising him for. It's just too bad that Glennon wet the bed in his opportunity. I think losing Meredith and White washing out were bigger factors in his failure than Fox's conservative impact on the offense. It's not like Glennon's game plans were dialed back anything like Biscuit's have been.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:
Hematite wrote:
There is nothing wrong with double dipping into a position of need. Especially when most important one
I agree, particularly when the guy who isn't the one you expect and want to take over is on an easily cuttable contract.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Had it worked out, it would've been a shrewd move that a lot of people would be praising him for. It's just too bad that Glennon wet the bed in his opportunity. I think losing Meredith and White washing out were bigger factors in his failure than Fox's conservative impact on the offense. It's not like Glennon's game plans were dialed back anything like Biscuit's have been.
I just can't believe the pass he gets for "had it worked out". Pace made a bet that, at absolute best, means he bought a 1st round pick for $16.5. The odds of Glennon playing well enough in one year to warrant a 1st round pick are vanishingly small and, if Glennon had played that well, Pace would likely be forced to keep him and instead trade Trubisky or let him rot as a backup until we traded him for a lower pick than he was drafted at.

More reasonably Glennon could have been ok and we could have flipped him to a QB desperate team for a 2nd round pick but that's probably conditional on a team getting a late injury which is another big if. Otherwise, what's the most a team has ever traded for an average to decent QB with one year of experience? Most teams would prefer the 2nd rounder to draft their own.

Saying we aren't out that much money is ridiculous too. Glennon's guaranteed money, $16.5m, is 9.5% of this year's cap and the difference between us having Amukamara and Massie rather than Bouye and Wagner.

Glennon is the highest paid player on our roster, it's insane to think that isn't much money.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
I just can't believe the pass he gets for "had it worked out". Pace made a bet that, at absolute best, means he bought a 1st round pick for $16.5. The odds of Glennon playing well enough in one year to warrant a 1st round pick are vanishingly small and, if Glennon had played that well, Pace would likely be forced to keep him and instead trade Trubisky or let him rot as a backup until we traded him for a lower pick than he was drafted at.

More reasonably Glennon could have been ok and we could have flipped him to a QB desperate team for a 2nd round pick but that's probably conditional on a team getting a late injury which is another big if. Otherwise, what's the most a team has ever traded for an average to decent QB with one year of experience? Most teams would prefer the 2nd rounder to draft their own.

Saying we aren't out that much money is ridiculous too. Glennon's guaranteed money, $16.5m, is 9.5% of this year's cap and the difference between us having Amukamara and Massie rather than Bouye and Wagner.

Glennon is the highest paid player on our roster, it's insane to think that isn't much money.
"Getting a pass" is overstating it. I'm just trying to look at it logically. It's free agency. You win some you lose some, even with QBs. The Bears aren't the only team to pay starter $$$ to somebody else's backup only for the move to fail. Just ask Houston about Brock Osweiler. And clearly we paid low end starter money.

You have to look at the situation. We had already decided to dump Cutler. And they apparently had decided that they wanted Trubisky, who by all accounts would not be ready to play right away. So they had to get a place holder to start. Keeping Jay Cutler--what I voted for--would've cost them $12+M, but could've created locker room chaos. My 2nd choice--Brian Hoyer--I think would've cost them $9M or more AND Hoyer had to want to play here, which is unknown and maybe not an option. Both he and Barkley went to SF pretty quick as I recall, so Barkley may not have been an option, either.

The point is that you had to bring in somebody to start. And if you can get lucky and the guy plays well enough to keep (great problem to have) or 2nd best, get you a draft pick for him, that's a possiblility you're not going to have with those other schmucks and Pace comes out smelling like a rose. As it turned out, it didn't work out. But there weren't a bunch of other good options that Pace had to work with.

Yeah, $18M is a lot of dough, but that's the cost of doing business for NFL QBs. And you know what? We have $14M of that back going into this offseason. $18M of bad money for 1 year is nothing like $15M/year for 4 years that you just have to live with like an anchor around your salary cap neck.

The worst part of that deal wasn't the money. It was that we brought him in so that Biscuit could sit and learn and not be thrown into the fire, but he was so bad that we had to do that anyway. Fortunately, Biscuit is surviving. And next year, we'll spend that $$$ on other players and life will go on like Mike Glennon never happened.

malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
malk wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

"Getting a pass" is overstating it. I'm just trying to look at it logically. It's free agency. You win some you lose some, even with QBs. The Bears aren't the only team to pay starter $$$ to somebody else's backup only for the move to fail. Just ask Houston about Brock Osweiler. And clearly we paid low end starter money.
Good teams win more than they lose, that's why I bring this up. I can't remember the last time a backup somewhere else moved and became a solid starter which is enough of a red flag and then Osweiler so recently surely should have been a cautionary tale for Pace.
Mikefive wrote:You have to look at the situation. We had already decided to dump Cutler. And they apparently had decided that they wanted Trubisky, who by all accounts would not be ready to play right away. So they had to get a place holder to start. Keeping Jay Cutler--what I voted for--would've cost them $12+M, but could've created locker room chaos. My 2nd choice--Brian Hoyer--I think would've cost them $9M or more AND Hoyer had to want to play here, which is unknown and maybe not an option. Both he and Barkley went to SF pretty quick as I recall, so Barkley may not have been an option, either.
I was a Cutler fan but fair enough it was the time to move on from him. Hoyer signed with SF for 2 years $12m but did have a chance to start. Barkley, I'm certain, wasn't made an offer to stay. I've said multiple times signing him to a longer term deal would have been the smart move even though it was unlikely to result in a long term starting QB. Any of these choices would have been better than Glennon on the contract we gave him, in fact, I'd also have much preferred Sanchez to start for the start of the season instead of signing Glennon.
Mikefive wrote:The point is that you had to bring in somebody to start. And if you can get lucky and the guy plays well enough to keep (great problem to have) or 2nd best, get you a draft pick for him, that's a possiblility you're not going to have with those other schmucks and Pace comes out smelling like a rose. As it turned out, it didn't work out. But there weren't a bunch of other good options that Pace had to work with.
There are a pile of guys good enough to stand behind the offensive line and keep you in games and none of them cost what Glennon did. That's another option to bringing someone in to start. You say you could get lucky, well that's what it would be and it's a lottery ticket's odds, a $16.5m lottery ticket. Pace didn't need to buy it at all, the other good option was a really high draft pick. Pace outsmarted himself because he liked his old scouting on Glennon. Now don't get me wrong here, I advocated getting Glennon earlier in the offseason but only at around $8m per (iirc). The play from Pace wasn't wrong per se but the risk reward ratio just doesn't add up at those contract numbers.
Mikefive wrote:Yeah, $18M is a lot of dough, but that's the cost of doing business for NFL QBs. And you know what? We have $14M of that back going into this offseason. $18M of bad money for 1 year is nothing like $15M/year for 4 years that you just have to live with like an anchor around your salary cap neck.
We don't have $14m coming back. $16.5m is gone forever. I know you mean that his contract will come off the books but that's false accounting. We've spent $16.5m that could have gone elsewhere in free agency, could have gone to front loading Hick's contract, could have gone anywhere but where it did, for a terrible starting QB.
Mikefive wrote:The worst part of that deal wasn't the money. It was that we brought him in so that Biscuit could sit and learn and not be thrown into the fire, but he was so bad that we had to do that anyway. Fortunately, Biscuit is surviving. And next year, we'll spend that $$$ on other players and life will go on like Mike Glennon never happened.
The worst part of the deal was the money. Sanchez would have been equivalent if not better, Glennon only ended up about 3 points higher than Sanchez' career QB rating and below his career QBR.

Yes life will go on and I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. But I want a championship and mistakes like that aren't fine because we had/have cap space, they move you further away from the goal.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

oh malk
wab
Mod

Glennon is a Bear for basically like 21 more days. Who cares anymore?
docc
Head Coach

Exactly.. Just a ugly awkward already fading memory..

Poof !!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It's worth remembering that after Pace signed Glennon to that contract and proclaimed him the starter, nobody, not one draft 'expert', not one reporter, pegged the Bears to take a QB with their first round pick, and certainly not Trubisky.

That would not have happened if Pace had re-signed the likes of Hoyer or Barkley who proved the previous year that they were not starter calibre or Sanchez who hasn't been considered a starter for several years. I can't think of a single other available QB that Pace could have signed that would have convinced anyone that he wasn't going to go all in on a QB in round one. When he traded up one spot to nab Trubisky it sent shockwaves through the media and the other teams in the NFL.

If Trubisky turns out to be that elusive franchise QB, and early signs are encouraging, then nobody will be worrying about the $18m spent on Glennon. Maybe no other team was that interested in Trubisky, but Pace made absolutely certain he got his man and I for one find it hard to criticise a GM for doing whatever it takes to land a QB he really wants as long as his judgement of the player is sound.

At the end of the day, I'd rather spend money and a few mid round picks doing it than mortgaging the team's future by giving up massive draft capital the way some other teams have done in recent years.
malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:It's worth remembering that after Pace signed Glennon to that contract and proclaimed him the starter, nobody, not one draft 'expert', not one reporter, pegged the Bears to take a QB with their first round pick, and certainly not Trubisky.

That would not have happened if Pace had re-signed the likes of Hoyer or Barkley who proved the previous year that they were not starter calibre or Sanchez who hasn't been considered a starter for several years. I can't think of a single other available QB that Pace could have signed that would have convinced anyone that he wasn't going to go all in on a QB in round one. When he traded up one spot to nab Trubisky it sent shockwaves through the media and the other teams in the NFL.

If Trubisky turns out to be that elusive franchise QB, and early signs are encouraging, then nobody will be worrying about the $18m spent on Glennon. Maybe no other team was that interested in Trubisky, but Pace made absolutely certain he got his man and I for one find it hard to criticise a GM for doing whatever it takes to land a QB he really wants as long as his judgement of the player is sound.

At the end of the day, I'd rather spend money and a few mid round picks doing it than mortgaging the team's future by giving up massive draft capital the way some other teams have done in recent years.
I will but I've (over)said my piece now so I'll shut up :-P

ysleblanc
MVP

Mikefive wrote:

I agree, I think if the bears stay healthy on the line and at WR early on, Glennon would have had a better chance to get in a rhythm. Too many times we saw a lot of drops and teams were attacking a beat up line.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:Glennon is a Bear for basically like 21 more days. Who cares anymore?
It still stings because he was just so incredibly awful. It’s hard to rationalize what Pace was thinking. It was obvious the day he was signed that this was Brock Lobster 2.0.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:It's worth remembering that after Pace signed Glennon to that contract and proclaimed him the starter, nobody, not one draft 'expert', not one reporter, pegged the Bears to take a QB with their first round pick, and certainly not Trubisky.

This X 1000!!! Great summary of Pace's plan.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

Let's re-assess the net cost of trading up to get Trubisky.

We sent them #3, #67, #111, and a 2018 3rd (#69 as of right now) for pick #2.

The value of our picks was 2742, however the value of the #2 pick was 2600. The 49ers gained 142 points on us, which equates to roughly the 90th pick in the draft.

HOWEVER

We traded down from #36 and received #45, #119, and a 2018 4th (#108). We gained 44 points in that deal, so our net loss from the Trubisky trade is lessened to the 92nd pick in the draft.

So when it's all said and done, we cost ourselves the 92nd pick in the draft to land Trubisky. Even though I was dumbfounded at the time, I can live with that.