Reality check

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I haven't really been invested in this season from the beginning. I still watch, I still actively root...but I honestly can't say that I care about the outcome.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

G08 wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this but I just want to get a jump start on next season already... who is our HC/OC/DC going to be? Where are we picking in the draft? Etc etc.
That's exactly where I'm at as well. January 1 can't come soon enough.
-Shu
YOGABBA
Rookie

I was 3 years old on January 26th, 1986. I don't recall ever seeing Walter Payton play, and I certainly caught the tail ends of Hampton's, Singletary's, Dent's, McMichael's careers (actually, I'm pretty sure I remember Dent being a Niner and McMichael being a Packer more than a Bear). I think the first Bears player I was a fan of was Donnell Woolford.

Why does any of the above matter? Because for the majority of my life cheering for this team they have been mediocre. It's great that you guys have that memory, but I probably went to bed with a diaper on. 1985 means nothing to me, and I hate the fans that cling to it.
G08
Hall of Famer

YOGABBA wrote:I was 3 years old on January 26th, 1986.
So you were born in 1983?

This is fascinating then:
YOGABBA wrote:Good afternoon boys! Great to speak to you as our future began yesterday. Too bad Mitch couldn't pull it out, but I foresee a lot of victories coming his way!

Name: YOGABBA
Bears Fan Since: 1975

Can't wait to discuss the BEARS!!!
Can't wait to hear this explanation :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

YOGABBA
Rookie

I was born on leap day.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:

YOGABBA wrote:Good afternoon boys! Great to speak to you as our future began yesterday. Too bad Mitch couldn't pull it out, but I foresee a lot of victories coming his way!

LMAO!
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:

LMAO!
Ha. Whoops.

If you are gonna have dupe/fake profiles, it's best you remember what you posted and when.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

and the answer given is :
YOGABBA wrote:I was born on leap day.
quite a leap from 1975 to 1983 :rofl:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this but I just want to get a jump start on next season already... who is our HC/OC/DC going to be? Where are we picking in the draft? Etc etc.
It's not that ridiculous of a statement because I feel the same way and I'm sure many other Bears fans have the same feeling as well.
Never Die Easy
docc
Head Coach

YOGABBA wrote:I was born on leap day.
Leap year was not 1983,,
Mensa

Try another...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:You're not the only one. When you haven't won a title in 30+ years, haven't been to the playoffs since 2010, haven't been competitive in 4 years, haven't been able to stay healthy since John Fox got hired, and now we're one more losing season away from potentially starting all over again, yeah...it's awful.

I still don't feel it's as bad as the final year of the Trestman/Emery era. At least now we've got several years of solid drafts and a top-3 pick quarterback.
This is the only team I've been 100% loyal to. I remember the Wannstedt years as worse; even though statistically they are not. Actually my biggest disappointment as a Bears fan was the fact that they never won a Super Bowl during the Urlacher era with that defense and I really liked Lovie until the last couple years. That Bears / Packers NFC Championship is one of the times I've cried over sports. I do that from time to time. Off the top of my head; Cubs Game 7 v the Marlins, and the Bears Super Bowl v Indy.

I gave up on the Cubs after 2003 and went to my Dad's team; the Yankees. I'm not a win chaser. Mickey Mantle was his hero and we met him several times.

I gave up on the Bulls and the NBA entirely after the Chandler / Curry rebuild plan never panned out.

Not really into hockey except for the playoffs and I'll watch any team at that point.
GSH
MVP

myself and other posters with Bears tattoos are kinda stuck and in it for life, but i dont rock any jerseys or tshirts any more and wont spend another dime until theres a big change.

But at least I know what year i was born in :-P
Umbali
MVP

Ive been a Bears fan since 1981 ish.....and I will keep being one for one simple reason! I like pain. Whether it be nipple clamps, spankings or self humiliation cheering for the Bears....

sigh ok maybe not...but i will press on. Its already gone on this long..whats another few decades
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Richie
MVP

Bearsmight wrote:It's been quite a while since my last post. I guess it's because I've lost much of my enthusiasm for this team/organization. As I sat watching yet another terrible game I got to thinking how bad the Bears have been with few exceptions over a long time. So I decided to look at their history over the last few decades. Big mistake lol. After a few minutes it became clear that the once proud and often champion Chicago Bears have become bottom feeders in the NFL.

In the last 11 seasons they have made the playoffs once only to lose to the hated Packers in the NFC championship game at home. It gets worse. Over the last 30 seasons they have made the playoffs just 8 times. In the last 60 seasons just 15 playoff appearances. That's 2 less than the Cleveland Browns over the same stretch. The only consolation was the 1985 Superbowl (I'm not counting the 63 title because I was 5) which is a distant memory.

It is nearly impossible to see light at the end of a long dark tunnel with the team. If over more than the last half century if this team can only manage to make the playoffs 25% of the time it does not offer much hope for the future. I know I wont stop watching but over the years I find myself watching with only casual interest.

So, you're saying that over the last 11 years... We've been to a Super Bowl, and 2 NFC Title games?

Yeah, most teams would really, really like that.

2005-2013... we were competitive every year, save 07 and 09. This fan-base needs to stop with the "poor me!" mentality. There's ups-and-downs in this league. We had a window in the 00's with Urlacher and the D, had two really good opportunities to win a Super Bowl. We missed it, it's unfortunate... but it happens.

I actually still think that the 2011 season, where Cutler/Forte went down for the season. Was the best shot we had at winning a Super Bowl. The D was playing as good as ever, and we finally had the offense to compliment it. I was at the San Diego game where Jay got hurt. I walked out of the stadium, with no knowledge of it (he finished the game). I said to my buddy, that this was the best team I've seen the Bears have and we were going to the Super Bowl.

Get home, and I see Cutler broke his hand. I was heartbroken. The way we lost to KC and Denver too... just salt in the wound. We could have made the playoffs, gotten both of those guys back and resumed the run. But Caleb Hanie was just SO incompetent.

What we're seeing now, is what happens to most teams when a window slams shut. SB win or not, it's very rare that a team just turns over with new talent, staff... etc... and starts winning immediately.

One day, the Chicago Bears will be contenders in the NFC again... and one day the Patriots will be picking in the top 10 spots of the draft.
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
UOK wrote:You're not the only one. When you haven't won a title in 30+ years, haven't been to the playoffs since 2010, haven't been competitive in 4 years, haven't been able to stay healthy since John Fox got hired, and now we're one more losing season away from potentially starting all over again, yeah...it's awful.

I still don't feel it's as bad as the final year of the Trestman/Emery era. At least now we've got several years of solid drafts and a top-3 pick quarterback.
This is the only team I've been 100% loyal to. I remember the Wannstedt years as worse; even though statistically they are not. Actually my biggest disappointment as a Bears fan was the fact that they never won a Super Bowl during the Urlacher era with that defense and I really liked Lovie until the last couple years. That Bears / Packers NFC Championship is one of the times I've cried over sports. I do that from time to time. Off the top of my head; Cubs Game 7 v the Marlins, and the Bears Super Bowl v Indy.

I gave up on the Cubs after 2003 and went to my Dad's team; the Yankees. I'm not a win chaser. Mickey Mantle was his hero and we met him several times.

I gave up on the Bulls and the NBA entirely after the Chandler / Curry rebuild plan never panned out.

Not really into hockey except for the playoffs and I'll watch any team at that point.
Two toughest losses I ever saw in person were the Packers NFC Title game loss, and the "win-and-in" NFC North title game in 2013.

What a long, cold couple of walks back to the car those games resulted in.

When Cutler hit Marshall to put us up 28-20... I knew it wasn't over, but man... I was ready to party.

I still think back on the possession where we were up 28-27. Moving at will in the 2nd half. We were at the 38 or so. Then, Bushrod false-started. Threw the offense totally out of rhythm. Then Alshon not coming down with that back-shoulder jump ball from Cutler.

That NFC Title game, we nearly pulled that one out of our ass too. Feel like if Hanie gets us in the end zone, we win in OT. But whatever... we didn't deserve it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

Two toughest losses I ever saw in person were the Packers NFC Title game loss, and the "win-and-in" NFC North title game in 2013.

When Cutler hit Marshall to put us up 28-20... I knew it wasn't over, but man... I was ready to party.

I still think back on the possession where we were up 28-27. Moving at will in the 2nd half. We were at the 38 or so. Then, Bushrod false-started. Threw the offense totally out of rhythm. Then Alshon not coming down with that back-shoulder jump ball from Cutler.

That NFC Title game, we nearly pulled that one out of our ass too. Feel like if Hanie gets us in the end zone, we win in OT. But whatever... we didn't deserve it.
I was at the NFC Championship Game loss to the fucking Packers as well. The extra kick in the gut? Walking out of Soldier Field and under a tunnel and all I could hear/feel is those fucking Green and Gold cock suckers yelling "GO PACK GO" in my mother fucking city and there literally was nothing I could do about it. Still pisses me off and breaks my heart at the same time. #masochist
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Bearsmight wrote:It's been quite a while since my last post. I guess it's because I've lost much of my enthusiasm for this team/organization. As I sat watching yet another terrible game I got to thinking how bad the Bears have been with few exceptions over a long time. So I decided to look at their history over the last few decades. Big mistake lol. After a few minutes it became clear that the once proud and often champion Chicago Bears have become bottom feeders in the NFL.

In the last 11 seasons they have made the playoffs once only to lose to the hated Packers in the NFC championship game at home. It gets worse. Over the last 30 seasons they have made the playoffs just 8 times. In the last 60 seasons just 15 playoff appearances. That's 2 less than the Cleveland Browns over the same stretch. The only consolation was the 1985 Superbowl (I'm not counting the 63 title because I was 5) which is a distant memory.

It is nearly impossible to see light at the end of a long dark tunnel with the team. If over more than the last half century if this team can only manage to make the playoffs 25% of the time it does not offer much hope for the future. I know I wont stop watching but over the years I find myself watching with only casual interest.

So, you're saying that over the last 11 years... We've been to a Super Bowl, and 2 NFC Title games?

2005-2013... we were competitive every year, save 07 and 09. This fan-base needs to stop with the "poor me!" mentality. There's ups-and-downs in this league. We had a window in the 00's with Urlacher and the D, had two really good opportunities to win a Super Bowl. We missed it, it's unfortunate... but it happens.

I actually still think that the 2011 season, where Cutler/Forte went down for the season. Was the best shot we had at winning a Super Bowl. The D was playing as good as ever, and we finally had the offense to compliment it. I was at the San Diego game where Jay got hurt. I walked out of the stadium, with no knowledge of it (he finished the game). I said to my buddy, that this was the best team I've seen the Bears have and we were going to the Super Bowl.

Get home, and I see Cutler broke his hand. I was heartbroken. The way we lost to KC and Denver too... just salt in the wound. We could have made the playoffs, gotten both of those guys back and resumed the run. But Caleb Hanie was just SO incompetent.

What we're seeing now, is what happens to most teams when a window slams shut. SB win or not, it's very rare that a team just turns over with new talent, staff... etc... and starts winning immediately.

One day, the Chicago Bears will be contenders in the NFC again... and one day the Patriots will be picking in the top 10 spots of the draft.
That's an incredibly skewed glass half full characterization. How about pointing out that we haven't made the playoffs in 6 years and we've been in last place in our division for each of the last 4 years. You think most teams would really, really like THAT? We need to stop with the "poor me!" mentality? How about we finish outside the division cellar once in 5 years before we start celebrating our success?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

We will have our day. It's not this year. Maybe next, but one day my ass is going to be on my couch watching the Bears absolutely beat the s*** out of Green Bay in Lambeau Field in the playoffs and we are going to send them home. Hopefully it's Rodgers' last game too. And it's gonna feel like the end of Return of the King when the ring gets thrown into Mount Doom. Then I'll cry again, but I don't care. It'll be worth it.
Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:

That's an incredibly skewed glass half full characterization. How about pointing out that we haven't made the playoffs in 6 years and we've been in last place in our division for each of the last 4 years. You think most teams would really, really like THAT? We need to stop with the "poor me!" mentality? How about we finish outside the division cellar once in 5 years before we start celebrating our success?
I guess I just don't understand why you think that's some outrageous thing to happen to an NFL football team... We're on a down-swing right now. No doubt, but it happens to everyone.

A lot of people here somehow feel like this is some absurdly unprecedented run that we're on right now. It's completely ridiculous.
Bearsmight
Journeyman

Richie wrote:

No I'm saying exactly what I said, one playoff appearance in the last 11 seasons. That includes this season. I don't know of any team or their fans that would be happy with making the playoffs just 25% of the time over a 60 season period. I am not sure what you are seeing but I am seeing a tradition of losing and failing not a simple re tooling of players and coaches. You cannot look at a small sample like a few seasons you need to look at long term results. When you do you see a pattern of long stretches of incompetence and losing. Mike Ditka was the ONLY coach in the last 60 seasons that made the playoffs consistently 63%, Lovie Smith 37% and nobody else was close. Every team has injuries, good teams win in spite of them.
Bearsmight
Journeyman

Richie wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:

I guess I just don't understand why you think that's some outrageous thing to happen to an NFL football team... We're on a down-swing right now. No doubt, but it happens to everyone.

A lot of people here somehow feel like this is some absurdly unprecedented run that we're on right now. It's completely ridiculous.
When you have just 11 winnings seasons in 30 years that's not a bump in the road or a stretch of bad luck. That's the trademark of a bad organization. Until things change at the very top winning seasons will be few and far between just as it has been for 6 decades.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:

OK, let's look at some facts.

You have to draw lines somewhere. So here's where I drew them. Since we went from 14-16 games starting in 1978 and playoffs were expanded, the data starts there and goes forward to today, ignoring the replacement year, 1982. Assuming we win 1 more game this year--not a given--we'll have 18 wins in 4 years. That's one measuring stick. We've had 1 playoff appearance in 11 years, including this year. Since we made the playoffs the year before that, I'll be more conservative and look for stretches of 1 playoff appearance (or less) in 10 years. Note that I got my data from Wikipedia.

And to keep from cherry picking, I chose entire divisions of teams, 2 NFC and 2 AFC.

Teams.........18/4.........1/10

Bears..........14-17.......07-17.... First time these have ever happened.
Packers........Never.......78-92
Lions...........01-04.......98-13
.................05-10
Vikings.........Never.......Never

Cowboys.......Never.......Never
Redskins......Never.......93-04
Giants.........Never.......Never
Eagles.........Never.......Never

Broncos.......Never.......Never
Chiefs.........Never.......78-89
Raiders.......03-09.......02-16
................12-15
Chargers......00-03.......96-05

Patriots.......89-93.......Never
Jets............93-96.......87-97
Bills............83-87.......99-17
Dolphins.......Never.......Never

So let's summarize. The 2 measurement thresholds were hit only 16 out of 32 times. And 6 out of 16 teams never hit either one. So it's not even close to say that "every team" gets to where we are now. Further, you said that we're wrong to think that the run we're on is "outrageous" or "absurdly unprecedented". Well, "absurdly" is pretty subjective. But there's no question whatsoever that we're in unprecedented territory.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's where I'm at. I'm PISSED. I'm sick and tired of this BS. Lovie had his run and that was decent. But that team got old and we have never recovered, despite punting our GM twice and punting our head coach 3x. We were told that Angelo wasn't getting the job done (true) and we brought in the Emery/Trestman regime. Emery had his issues and Trestman turned out not be a leader of NFL men. Fine. Mistakes were made and it needed fixed. Nobody's perfect and after 2 seasons, we booted them. So we brought in Pace and Fox. And long story short, we continue to be a laughing stock.

THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE! I look forward to football season. But now for the 4th year in a row, we're in the 4th quarter of the season playing for nothing? Nothing?!? I go to work and have people walk up to my cube with Bears stuff everywhere and pat me on the head and say "I'm so sorry". My Packer fan son comes over every time we play our biggest rival and I have to sit through a thrashing almost every time. For 2 decades. But this year, they come to our house as underdogs without Rodgers and kick our asses anyway?!? Really?!?!?

I was promised that Ryan Pace was going to turn this thing around. And that John Fox was the experienced guy who would make the needed changes to get us going in the right direction. Solid coordinators were brought in and the ship will be righted. WELL THAT HASN'T HAPPENED! I remember the Abe Gibron era and it was awful. Fox is WORSE! Than Abe freaking Gibron! Are you kidding me?!?

Every year, I see new free agents and draft picks and I allow my naturally optimistic approach to reinvigorate my attitude when I head to TC. Again.

I'm just not sure I can have that faith any more. My belief in the Chicago Bears has been betrayed so many times that they're going to have to prove it to me. I know we're getting a new coaching staff next year. But that doesn't mean sh!t to me any more. Why would I think that this is any different than the last 2 guys we've brought in? Why would I think that the Bears could somehow bring in some offensive guru who turned things around like Sean McVay did with another young QB? When in my lifetime have the Bears EVER groomed a young QB to blossom into a good NFL QB, much less in his 2nd year?

I have no faith in these clowns.:angry:

I'm a UOK blog post waiting to happen.

docc
Head Coach

..my cousin is a Packer fan..we both lived through shit teams.. He likes to rag..so..when he would come by when I was in the city..

Salt Peter in his drinks and food..
"So..How's it hanging there ?

Yeah..just hanging there :)