Jordan Howard makes Bears history

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

First RB in the history of the franchise to rush for over 1000 yards in each of his first two seasons of the league.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Dude's a stud. Needs to find some stickum tho.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

Get him time a Jugs,,and he is complete Star,,

Hell..I'll take some time on Jugs !!
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

To me the Bears are not the Bears unless they have a stud RB.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Funkster
MVP

Congratulations to Howard. He has been a pivotal building block for the Bears. His name will go down in Bears history ahead of a lot of great backs.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

yep :D
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That's crazy given the backs we've had.

Payton - I looked him up on Football Reference because I figured he'd be a shoe in for this. 679 yards in his rookie year in 13 games. 1390 in year 2 in 14 games.

Sayers
Anderson
Forte
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Jordan is a man. Love his story with the shirt of his dad. I will cheer for that kid no matter where he plays. Glad he’s on the Bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
malk
Head Coach

Love some Jordan "Manos de Piedra" Howard!

Great achievement for him, especially with him not getting all the starts his rookie year and getting his yards this year into the most stacked boxes I've ever seen. Oh, and that's with our line being pretty average this season too.

Just brilliant.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

Pretty sweet for the kid... I want him to be a complete back so I home he spends a ton of time working on his hands this off-season.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

Easier to coach up catching than everything else he masters.. Cohen..wind up that thing and watch the joystick go and he can catch and throw and return..
Real pair of weapons
MoFugger
Head Coach

Nobody talks about Jeremy Langford anymore

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

MoFugger wrote:Nobody talks about Jeremy Langford anymore

Thats because they transplanted his feet onto Bellamy for hands.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:Nobody talks about Jeremy Langford anymore

on the jet's practice squad.

oof.
docc
Head Coach

Langford..? After Bears waived him..
Waived by Ravens from PS..
Signed Friday with Jets Practice squad..

"Langford will head to a new organization, but it's unlikely he'll get a look during the Jets' final four games unless one of Matt Forte (knee), Bilal Powell or Elijah McGuire suffers a season-ending injury"

Ask in "Around the League" he's not a Bear if you want to talk about him..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:First RB in the history of the franchise to rush for over 1000 yards in each of his first two seasons of the league.

:thumbsup:

and to think, the Bears got him as sort of an afterthought pick rather than someone they were targeting (at least that's how I remember the draft day stories unfolding)

he and Cohen (another afterthought) make an interesting and diverse pair from the backfield ... happy to have them both
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I can't remember when I've been as happy with our RB group. Howard and Cohen are a terrific thunder and lightning pair. And Cunningham is a pretty decent 3rd option and good STs player. All but maybe a handful of teams would trade their group for ours.

Did anybody see the box score for the game? Howard and Cohen 35 rushes for 227 averaging 6.5 per. Good god. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

SgtPerry
Journeyman

I'm still amazed by Howard's capability to gain more and more yards after being tackled while the season is (nearly) over. I hope that he can stay healthy and competitive some years in case the Bears manage to gather a good team in the near future.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
G08
Hall of Famer

I just hope Howard learns how to catch the God damned football.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

SgtPerry wrote:I'm still amazed by Howard's capability to gain more and more yards after being tackled while the season is (nearly) over. I hope that he can stay healthy and competitive some years in case the Bears manage to gather a good team in the near future.
Howard said after the game that this is the first week since his shoulder got hurt early that it's felt fine. Dude has a bad shoulder for most of the year and still will run for 1300+. Damn!

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I just hope Howard learns how to catch the God damned football.
Looks like a concentration thing to my barely trained eye. They're often simple takes where it seems he's already thinking about what he'll do after the catch before he's snaffled the ball. That's fixable and he only needs to be somewhat reliable as a safety valve, he's never going to be a proper option in the way Forte was.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Looks like a concentration thing to my barely trained eye. They're often simple takes where it seems he's already thinking about what he'll do after the catch before he's snaffled the ball. That's fixable and he only needs to be somewhat reliable as a safety valve, he's never going to be a proper option in the way Forte was.
I hope so... I place a ton of value in RBs that can catch the ball. They tried to sell us that his lasik surgery would help him out with the dropsies -- it hasn't.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Of all the things you want in your RB, I see this as the most coachable aspect. You can't teach vision, power, YAC, or heart. Stick him in front of a jugs machine for six hours a day over the off-season.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
I would agree with this. Its not a hands thing, it's a 'catch the ball, then run' thing. I think if he concentrates on breaking down the process, he will get a lot better at it. Focus on the ball, then the catch, THEN think about running. I believe that's the issue.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:
I would agree with this. Its not a hands thing, it's a 'catch the ball, then run' thing. I think if he concentrates on breaking down the process, he will get a lot better at it. Focus on the ball, then the catch, THEN think about running. I believe that's the issue.
I used to do this all the time. Ping out a pass to me that I didn't have time to think about and I was automatic. Little pops and floaters I'd mangle thinking of what I was doing next. It wasn't even a case of practicing, just concentrating, a lot on watching the ball into my hands. I remember repeating catch the ball, catch the ball, catch the ball to myself in warm ups and during games. It took about a season before it became second nature but now it's just another automatic process (which is weird, I automatically concentrate rather than automatically catch correctly if that makes sense).

Different levels, sports etc. but I see no reason why that shouldn't be translatable.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Of all the things you want in your RB, I see this as the most coachable aspect. You can't teach vision, power, YAC, or heart. Stick him in front of a jugs machine for six hours a day over the off-season.
Completely agree. :thumbsup:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:
I'm with you guys. However, I've also noticed that Howard's drops may be occurring when he's anticipating contact. The one at the end of the Atlanta game for example and then the one this week against the Bengals when he was in the middle of the field facing Trubisky. He doesn't seem to have had issues when the ball is swung out his way in the flat when he's already half turned up field and can see if there is anyone closing in on him. It may be that as a running back he's used to and very comfortable with seeing defenders coming at him but is uncomfortable with the notion of being hit while his back is turned and when he's vulnerable.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:First RB in the history of the franchise to rush for over 1000 yards in each of his first two seasons of the league.

and to think, the Bears got him as sort of an afterthought pick rather than someone they were targeting (at least that's how I remember the draft day stories unfolding)

he and Cohen (another afterthought) make an interesting and diverse pair from the backfield ... happy to have them both
Neither of those guys were an afterthought.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:
I'm with you guys. However, I've also noticed that Howard's drops may be occurring when he's anticipating contact. The one at the end of the Atlanta game for example and then the one this week against the Bengals when he was in the middle of the field facing Trubisky. He doesn't seem to have had issues when the ball is swung out his way in the flat when he's already half turned up field and can see if there is anyone closing in on him. It may be that as a running back he's used to and very comfortable with seeing defenders coming at him but is uncomfortable with the notion of being hit while his back is turned and when he's vulnerable.
That's also a concentration thing, thinking on how to take contact rather than catching the ball. He's quite a thoughtful runner, looking for the hole developing etc. I doubt he's worried about the contact but just is thinking about what to do next, eager to look at what's in front of him and where to look.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Teddy KGB wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

Neither of those guys were an afterthought.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'm pretty certain Howard was talked about as the best player available at the time he was drafted. So maybe afterthought was not the correct term, but he wasn't one of the announced highly touted RB options taken earlier.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin