John Fox has reportedly 'accepted his fate, DONE

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

John Fox has reportedly 'accepted his fate,' basically telling people he'll be fired
The Chicago Bears coach is probably not going to survive 2017
CBS Sports

The Chicago Bears are not having a good season in 2017, struggling on both sides of the ball. They've had at least one pretty surprising upset, beating Carolina at home, and kept it close against the Steelers and Falcons. But they're just undermanned, particularly on offense. It would not be surprising to see John Fox fired.

So unsurprising, in fact, that even John Fox apparently knows he is probably being fired.

According to a report from Mike Garafolo of NFL Media, Fox has "accepted his fate" -- the "tone and what he's been saying" to various people essentially serves as an admission that he believes he is likely to be fired after the 2017 concludes.

None of this should be a huge surprise. Fox came into the season on the hot seat and was pretty hamstrung by his general manager, Ryan Pace, who used the No. 2 pick on North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky after the Bears traded up one spot in the draft. That's not to say Trubisky isn't good -- he's shown clear flashes of being a franchise quarterback -- but using a high pick on a guy who was expected to sit for the season doesn't help a coach on a short leash, especially when they already signed Mike Glennon to a big contract in free agency.

And there was the matter of Pace reportedly not even telling Fox that he was going to take the rookie quarterback.

The writing was on the wall before the season started when it came to Fox, with big injuries to important players (Cameron Meredith, the team's top wideout, tore his ACL before the year began) and questionable game management (Fox challenged a play against the Packers that actually gave Green Bay the ball).

Chicago hasn't been a real contender in the NFC North this year and Fox has not been an inspiring figure as the coach. He knows he's going to get canned once the season ends and he's basically telling people as much.

The Bears are going to be one of many teams in a potentially crowded market for head coaches and Fox is going to be at an interesting crossroads in the career of a guy who has been the head coach of three different NFL teams.

Will Brinson
CBS Sports Senior Writer
follow

Will Brinson joined CBS Sports in 2010 and enters his seventh season covering the NFL for CBS. He previously wrote for FanHouse along with myriad other Internet sites. A North Carolina native who lives... Full Bio
UOK
Site Admin

Whatever. Hit the bricks, John.
G08
Hall of Famer

Gut the whole coaching staff.

Personally, I'd like to see Loggains back as a QB coach and Donatell back either as a DBs coach or maybe even a DC.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Good.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

Yeah..
Packing up his Nixon photos..and his "Complete Gridiron" by Amos Alonzo Stagg playbook..
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Good riddance. I didn't like the hire to begin with. Hope he takes his injury-causing Strength & Conditioning coach with him. As for Loggains, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

John DeFilippo, come on down!
-Shu
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Works for me.

Even yesterday, he challenges the call that Biscuit was across the line when he clearly was. Then leaves Biscuit in the game late when its a blowout.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:John Fox has reportedly 'accepted his fate,' basically telling people he'll be fired
maybe he has watched video of himself and his game day decisions? if he did, that would certainly point out to him the need for him being fired
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

But can he take Josh Bellamy with him?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Works for me.

Even yesterday, he challenges the call that Biscuit was across the line when he clearly was. Then leaves Biscuit in the game late when its a blowout.
I didn't think that was a bad challenge at all. Your whole body doesn't need to be behind the LOS, you could have the pinky toe on your back foot behind the LOS and it's not an illegal forward pass. Plus the trade-off was too big to not risk it, IMO... first down and 10 vs third down and 17 is paramount.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Richie
MVP

Kept it close against Pittsburgh?

Pretty sure we won that game. lol
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

I didn't think that was a bad challenge at all. Your whole body doesn't need to be behind the LOS, you could have the pinky toe on your back foot behind the LOS and it's not an illegal forward pass. Plus the trade-off was too big to not risk it, IMO... first down and 10 vs third down and 17 is paramount.
Dude. It wasn't even close. I don't know who was relaying info down to Fox, but it was wrong. Both feet, AND his whole body were across the line before he released it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

Dude. It wasn't even close. I don't know who was relaying info down to Fox, but it was wrong. Both feet, AND his whole body were across the line before he released it.
Wasn't even close? His back foot was, what, maybe a foot over the line? You're acting like his whole body was 3-4 yards in front of the LOS. It wasn't. If 99.99999% of the QB is over the LOS it's not an illegal forward pass.

wab
Mod

I agree that the play was worth the challenge.
BR0D1E86
MVP

You guys complain too much. At least the other team didn’t end up with the ball after his challenge. Baby steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I too have 'accepted' John Fox's fate.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
cheops32
Practice Squad

He won one challenge...................
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Kept it close against Pittsburgh?

Pretty sure we won that game. lol
There is that. lol
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

you're reaching

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
MoFugger
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:I too have 'accepted' John Fox's fate.
I do believe that Lovie Smith is the only person that has not accepted John foxes fate.

MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:I agree that the play was worth the challenge.
I would have challenged it.
You folks do realize we won this game 33-7?
Bears whiskey not? You did see the final score right?

Wounded Bear
MVP

I'm thinking of accepting his fate, but I may not.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
docc
Head Coach

BR0D1E86
MVP

MoFugger wrote:
I do believe that Lovie Smith is the only person that has not accepted John foxes fate.

That’s only because he’s still staring blankly up at the soldier field jumbotron and he doesn’t realize anything is going on.
wab
Mod

So what happens if the Bears win out and go 7-9 and do it in fairly convincing fashion? Does that make the decision on Fox more complicated?

I don't think it does...I think he should be gone regardless. I'm just wondering how that changes the dynamic.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i think the same assholes who groused about getting rid of lovie and his "winning record" will grouse about getting rid of fox right when he's "starting to get results after a complicated rebuild" or some shit.

and those of us who arent assholes will know that no, he needed to go.

and then pace will hire jeff fisher and i'll climb into a woodchipper head first, for the world is cruel and unforgiving.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:So what happens if the Bears win out and go 7-9 and do it in fairly convincing fashion? Does that make the decision on Fox more complicated?

I don't think it does...I think he should be gone regardless. I'm just wondering how that changes the dynamic.
I think that decision has already been made. I think the Packers game ended any hopes he had of returning, and rightfully so.
G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like the Bears are going to start opening up the playbook for Mitchell... I'm curious, if we rattle off 3 more games of 30+ points, I'm not saying Fox stays, but can you really tell Loggains to hit the bricks?

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:So what happens if the Bears win out and go 7-9 and do it in fairly convincing fashion? Does that make the decision on Fox more complicated?
well if that happens (and it is actually quite realistic that it will since Minny will be resting the starters in the final game), then Ryan Pace will use the end of season surge as justification to announce John Fox's contract extension

because that would be the most Bears-y end result of all of it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin