12.16.17 // Bears lose to Lions 20-10

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I just look for progress... I have seen a ton of it the past couple of weeks, especially from a mechanics standpoint. He's getting the ball out much quicker and with velocity, and his feet have been solid.

I can't speak to him setting protections or audibling out of bad plays, but listening to Loggains and his teammates speak about the subject makes it sound like he's doing a great job of that as well.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:If I didn't know any better, I would think your stance is heavily fueled by your Trubisky sentiment...
What sentiment would that be...? lol

I've watched his highlights from Sunday probably 4-5 times over, and couldn't have given him more praise for his best game as an NFL QB. I can't wait to see him play in person tomorrow.

I guess that I don't really understand what you mean.

Acknowledging Trubisky didn't exactly shred the best defense in football, doesn't take away from the fact that he was utterly perfect and got me as giddy as I have been in a few seasons about our future.

I guess it's just two different approaches to being a fan. I try to look at things for what they are. Instead of what I hope them to be. After decades of watching the NFL, young NFL QB's and especially young Bears QB's like a hawk. Forgive me if I peel back the curtain on things a bit, and poke around for further examination.

We feel the exact same way about Trubisky's performance Sunday. I just like to recognize that in the big picture, it's a small drop in the big bucket, that will be his development. I said the same thing after the Philly game, that every young QB has one or two of these games early on. I don't like to knee-jerk too hard one way or the other, based off of one game.

Approach 1: "That was amazing! Let's bask in this performance for all of it's glory! Why the hell would you over-think this? He was great. Just shut-up and be happy with that!"

Approach 2: "That was amazing! Let's see where this puts him in the grand scheme of his development, and how he's going to build off of this performance."

There is nothing wrong with either approach. I feel ALL of the same things about Trubisky as you do. Please, understand that when I'm sometimes critical, or point out exterior factors. That doesn't change.

I just don't understand what could possibly be so wrong with pointing out the reality of a situation. We all understand that the Bengals had about their entire back seven missing, no? I just don't understand what blatantly ignoring that accomplishes.

can't we simply accept that we finally have a QB who doesn't outright suck and be happy about it without being so anal in regards to the what ifs of every fucking situation?

is Trubisky the next coming of Joe Montana? who the fuck knows? I do know he is not the next coming of Jonathan Quinn

will Trubisky be the long time successful QB we have been longing for? who the fuck knows? but maybe we should simply appreciate the progression and success we are witnessing for what it is at this point in time

I accept him as is, flaws and all, as the best thing I've seen taking snaps as a Bear in quite some time and look forward to seeing him keep learning and improving
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote:I just look for progress... I have seen a ton of it the past couple of weeks, especially from a mechanics standpoint. He's getting the ball out much quicker and with velocity, and his feet have been solid.

I can't speak to him setting protections or audibling out of bad plays, but listening to Loggains and his teammates speak about the subject makes it sound like he's doing a great job of that as well.
I agree. There's been clear progress, and it's very encouraging. Sunday was terrifically exciting, and hopefully foreshadowing of what's to come in 2018.

If I had to pick one thing for Trubisky to work on this off-season, it's the footwork. I know it's been better since the Philly game, but even with a lot of his completions Sunday. He was still fired fairly often with his body squared away from his target. A lot of times I notice that he'll set his feet when he looks at his first-read, and then is forced to throw with a very uneven base to his 2nd or 3rd.

It's really the only thing that I still am willing to point out. His feel in the pocket was so much better Sunday, he didn't even look like the same QB as he did vs Philly and prior in that regard. Stepping up away from pressure, getting wrapped up and still managing the flip to Cunningham was one of his highlights of the year. IMO. He does NOT make that play a few weeks back.

Hopefully that keeps up, because footwork is teachable. With stuff like that, you can only do so much. Very good to see.
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:If I didn't know any better, I would think your stance is heavily fueled by your Trubisky sentiment...

I've watched his highlights from Sunday probably 4-5 times over, and couldn't have given him more praise for his best game as an NFL QB. I can't wait to see him play in person tomorrow.

Acknowledging Trubisky didn't exactly shred the best defense in football, doesn't take away from the fact that he was utterly perfect and got me as giddy as I have been in a few seasons about our future.

I guess it's just two different approaches to being a fan. I try to look at things for what they are. Instead of what I hope them to be. After decades of watching the NFL, young NFL QB's and especially young Bears QB's like a hawk. Forgive me if I peel back the curtain on things a bit, and poke around for further examination.

We feel the exact same way about Trubisky's performance Sunday. I just like to recognize that in the big picture, it's a small drop in the big bucket, that will be his development. I said the same thing after the Philly game, that every young QB has one or two of these games early on. I don't like to knee-jerk too hard one way or the other, based off of one game.

Approach 1: "That was amazing! Let's bask in this performance for all of it's glory! Why the hell would you over-think this? He was great. Just shut-up and be happy with that!"

Approach 2: "That was amazing! Let's see where this puts him in the grand scheme of his development, and how he's going to build off of this performance."

There is nothing wrong with either approach. I feel ALL of the same things about Trubisky as you do. Please, understand that when I'm sometimes critical, or point out exterior factors. That doesn't change.

I just don't understand what could possibly be so wrong with pointing out the reality of a situation. We all understand that the Bengals had about their entire back seven missing, no? I just don't understand what blatantly ignoring that accomplishes.

can't we simply accept that we finally have a QB who doesn't outright suck and be happy about it without being so anal in regards to the what ifs of every fucking situation?

is Trubisky the next coming of Joe Montana? who the fuck knows? I do know he is not the next coming of Jonathan Quinn

will Trubisky be the long time successful QB we have been longing for? who the fuck knows? but maybe we should simply appreciate the progression and success we are witnessing for what it is at this point in time

I accept him as is, flaws and all, as the best thing I've seen taking snaps as a Bear in quite some time and look forward to seeing him keep learning and improving
Yes, you can absolutely accept that. Although, I would argue that Cutler (and Orton, for that matter) didn't "outright suck".

But "WE" don't all have to share the same mindset or approach to the Bears. That's what makes this forum fun. Different thoughts/approaches, which revolve around a shared passion for the Chicago Bears.

I don't think that simply acknowledging the Bengals D operating at a deficit due to injuries, is going out of my way to rain on anyone's Trubisky parade. I said nothing critical of Trub, and have showered him with compliments him all week.

I will say though... if stating something as simple as that, is going to incite a reaction and become something other than football talk about the topic at hand. It's really not worth it anyway, because getting into it with you guys isn't fun. I think it's a solid community, and that's why I'm here. I don't want to have a whole ongoing thing you you all, pertaining to a QB we both like and root for.

Not only because I'd rather not have these chippy back-and-forth conversations, but because it also really conveys a poor representation of how I feel about Trubisky. lol
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:

Yes, you can absolutely accept that. Although, I would argue that Cutler (and Orton, for that matter) didn't "outright suck".

But "WE" don't all have to share the same mindset or approach to the Bears. That's what makes this forum fun. Different thoughts/approaches, which revolve around a shared passion for the Chicago Bears.

I don't think that simply acknowledging the Bengals D operating at a deficit due to injuries, is going out of my way to rain on anyone's Trubisky parade. I said nothing critical of Trub, and have showered him with compliments him all week.

I will say though... if stating something as simple as that, is going to incite a reaction and become something other than football talk about the topic at hand. It's really not worth it anyway, because getting into it with you guys isn't fun. I think it's a solid community, and that's why I'm here. I don't want to have a whole ongoing thing you you all, pertaining to a QB we both like and root for.

Not only because I'd rather not have these chippy back-and-forth conversations, but because it also really conveys a poor representation of how I feel about Trubisky. lol

I accept everyone is entitled to their own opinion

what's troubling is when there is some us against them faction set up in regards to the QB position of the team

when Cutler was here, if you said anything critical about Cutler, a faction would dub you a Cutler Hater and any conversation went into the shitter while arguments ensued ... and I see the same thing starting to happen now with Trubisky

maybe it has something to do with the decades long list of assclowns who have lined up under center pretending to be a QB so we simply don't know what to do when we have something other than that?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

..How dare you call Moses Moreno..Henry Buriss and Craig KrisKringle an assclown...

Assclowns everywhere are offended..
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think if and when we get an offensive minded HC who knows how to properly develop QB's - Trubisky's footwork and overall performance will be much more consistent.

He's got all the tools you look for in a franchise QB - arm talent, accuracy, leadership, athleticism, etc. He also has the intangible desire to be a great QB and that translates to a lot of tireless preparation and commitment that quite frankly, we haven't seen or heard from a Bears QB in a long time. I think that's a key in his overall development. Combining his work ethic and talent, I think the sky's the limit for him in the NFL.
Never Die Easy
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:
Boris13c wrote:the big question I have is, will the Bears duplicate the same type of offense against the Lions as they did against the Bengals?
Doubt it. Pretty much the D-line were the only starters the Bengals had healthy. That’s why Mitchy had a field day.
I believe the Bears were missing 12 projected starters due to injury, including both starting receivers, the starting tight end and the best offensive lineman on the team. So it cuts both ways there.
Not really. Two receivers Mitch never had, and a TE that likely doesn't do more than Shaheen did anyway isn't really comparable to missing your entire back seven on D. lol

I understand what you're saying, but to imply that it was all merely a coincidence with their injuries and Trub suddenly looking like a pro bowl passer. That's being willfully naive.

Regardless, he looked great, and it was huge for his confidence. You just can't overlook that though...
Whether he ever had them or not, hey weren’t there. The Bengals injuries were obviously a factor. But by your logic if Russell Wilson gets hurt in training camp next year and the Seahawks aren’t good, they can’t factor it into evaluations of their play because they never had him. Regardless of how long they’ve been out, they’re still not there.

Anyway, back to what I originally said, the Bengals were definitely beat up but I don’t think it was any more so than us. Except for their team psyche after what was a tough loss the week before that is.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

damnnnn, andy dalton with one of the best wr's in the game vs a defense missing goldman, unrein, floyd, freeman, young, mcphee and amos must have also had a fucking field day. he did, right?
Richie
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Richie wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:
Boris13c wrote:the big question I have is, will the Bears duplicate the same type of offense against the Lions as they did against the Bengals?
Doubt it. Pretty much the D-line were the only starters the Bengals had healthy. That’s why Mitchy had a field day.
I believe the Bears were missing 12 projected starters due to injury, including both starting receivers, the starting tight end and the best offensive lineman on the team. So it cuts both ways there.
Not really. Two receivers Mitch never had, and a TE that likely doesn't do more than Shaheen did anyway isn't really comparable to missing your entire back seven on D. lol

I understand what you're saying, but to imply that it was all merely a coincidence with their injuries and Trub suddenly looking like a pro bowl passer. That's being willfully naive.

Regardless, he looked great, and it was huge for his confidence. You just can't overlook that though...
Whether he ever had them or not, hey weren’t there. The Bengals injuries were obviously a factor. But by your logic if Russell Wilson gets hurt in training camp next year and the Seahawks aren’t good, they can’t factor it into evaluations of their play because they never had him. Regardless of how long they’ve been out, they’re still not there.

Anyway, back to what I originally said, the Bengals were definitely beat up but I don’t think it was any more so than us. Except for their team psyche after what was a tough loss the week before that is.
Eh... that's a pretty darn bad analogy.

I'm talking about Trubisky's performance Sunday vs Cincy, compared his previous 8 performances. None of which included those two WR's.

You also drew that analogy to a team's elite, SB winning and possible future HOF caliber QB. When talking about two WR's who have played like 900 receiving yards between each other, and an OG who is talented... but also hasn't been healthy in a long time. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't think Cincy missing nearly their entire back seven, and Trub looking unstoppable all of the sudden is ENTIRELY a coincidence.

The Bengals weren't "banged up". They started a defense which just about compares to the offense we started the last month of our 2016 season. It was a 2nd half of a pre-season game kind of a team out there.

Is a lot of it to do with Trub's improvement? No doubt. You could visibly see the things he was doing better. However, it's disingenuous to willfully ignore and sugar coat how badly their defense was eviscerated on Sunday.
Last edited by Richie on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:damnnnn, andy dalton with one of the best wr's in the game vs a defense missing goldman, unrein, floyd, freeman, young, mcphee and amos must have also had a fucking field day. he did, right?
Grow up, dude. Christ

The clear difference is that Dalton played poorly, while Trubisky played nearly flawless.

Their D was ravaged with injuries. No one took anything away from Trub. It was simply mentioned by a poster. Why do you prefer that a perfectly honest fact like that isn't mentioned? Why are some so persistent on drowning this out?

Also, last time I checked, your CB's have KIND OF a lot to do with shutting down a team's passing attack... and our healthy #1 and #2 did a world class job on Sunday.

Come on, really man? Goodness god damn gracious with this. Why are we even still talking about this? This is what I mean. It was a nothing, aside mention by somebody else (don't even remember who anymore)... but somehow the QB position becomes emotional with people here.

It's just not worth it to talk about Trub around this forum, unless it's 100% positive praise. I am starting to get a feeling of how this board was with Cutler.

This stuff ain't fun man. I'll just tap out now with Trub talk, I guess.

Forget it. See you all tomorrow. Cheers
Last edited by Richie on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
Richie wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:

I'm talking about Trubisky's performance Sunday vs Cincy, compared his previous 8 performances. None of which included those two WR's.

You also drew that analogy to a team's elite, SB winning and possible future HOF caliber QB. When talking about two WR's who have played like 900 receiving yards between each other, and an OG who is talented... but also hasn't been healthy in a long time. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't think Cincy missing nearly their entire back seven, and Trub looking unstoppable all of the sudden is ENTIRELY a coincidence.

The Bengals weren't "banged up". They started a defense which just about compares to the offense we started the last month of our 2016 season. It was a 2nd half of a pre-season game kind of a team out there.

Is a lot of it to do with Trub's improvement? No doubt. You could visibly see the things he was doing better. However, it's disingenuous to willfully ignore and sugar coat how badly their defense was eviscerated on Sunday.
Nobody's ignoring it. You're just pretending that they are for some odd reason.
Richie
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Richie wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
Richie wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote: Doubt it. Pretty much the D-line were the only starters the Bengals had healthy. That’s why Mitchy had a field day.

Nobody's ignoring it. You're just pretending that they are for some odd reason.
Okay, maybe "ignoring" was a bad term.

"Attempting to downplay"... "Dismissing"... and "fighting against it".

And overall, being a tad "cunty" about it (not you). Making call-backs to old posts, which is supposed to implicate that I am some kind of a Trub hater.

Mentioning it has been met with quite a bit of resistance...

Oh, and Long probably doesn't get to be called our best offensive lineman, at this point. FWIW... Off-topic, but I just re-read the last page. lol. Sitton is about to make back-to-back pro bowls.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:If I didn't know any better, I would think your stance is heavily fueled by your "If you are sold on him you are a homer of EPIC proportions" Trubisky sentiment.
Richie hi jacking yet another thread with his Trubisky hatred. :)
malk
Head Coach

"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

Amos and Shaheen are out.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Richie wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:damnnnn, andy dalton with one of the best wr's in the game vs a defense missing goldman, unrein, floyd, freeman, young, mcphee and amos must have also had a fucking field day. he did, right?
Grow up, dude. Christ

The clear difference is that Dalton played poorly, while Trubisky played nearly flawless.

Their D was ravaged with injuries. No one took anything away from Trub. It was simply mentioned by a poster. Why do you prefer that a perfectly honest fact like that isn't mentioned? Why are some so persistent on drowning this out?

Also, last time I checked, your CB's have KIND OF a lot to do with shutting down a team's passing attack... and our healthy #1 and #2 did a world class job on Sunday.

Come on, really man? Goodness god damn gracious with this. Why are we even still talking about this? This is what I mean. It was a nothing, aside mention by somebody else (don't even remember who anymore)... but somehow the QB position becomes emotional with people here.

It's just not worth it to talk about Trub around this forum, unless it's 100% positive praise. I am starting to get a feeling of how this board was with Cutler.

This stuff ain't fun man. I'll just tap out now with Trub talk, I guess.

Forget it. See you all tomorrow. Cheers
Oh my fuckin' god, is this really coming from the dude who trolled me (and others) on the SportsHoopla Chicago Bears forum whenever we had something critical to say of Jay Cutler's play? Really? Just fucking pathetic.

I can see that you are hell bent to turn this board into that same toxic environment with your disrespectful, condescending tone towards anyone who has a perspective that differs from yours. It would serve you well to maybe STFU from time to time and allow the adults to converse civil manner. You are in dire need of learning a thing or two not only about football, but how to treat others when debating any issue you encounter in life.

So I find it super ironic that you have the audacity to tell another poster to "grow up" when you utilize the very childish "shout down" tactic whenever someone doesn't agree with your short-sighted, typically ignorant positions.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
G08
Hall of Famer

So....

Bears and Lions, huh?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:So....

Bears and Lions, huh?
Yea another game I get to watch a stream of. I am beginning to hate this new work shit.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:

Bears and Lions, huh?
Yea another game I get to watch a stream of. I am beginning to hate this new work shit.
Wife made anniversary plans at an "ancient bathhouse" in the city and a massage... so I can't complain. Going to try and sneak my cell phone to watch the game in the pools though :lol:

GSH
MVP

Shaheen is inactive today and wont play against the Lions.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

GSH wrote:Shaheen is inactive today and wont play against the Lions.
Still confused as to what his "chest" injury is. To me it looked like he hurt himself on the TD when he landed on his shoulder. I immediately thought he might have dislocated his shoulder or injured his collarbone. But then he was fine in the game after that because I saw him blocking for Tarik Cohen downfield on the wildcat play. After the game reporters asked him how he felt and he said he was fine. Nowhere did I see him injure his chest.

Anyways, it sucks he's not going to get to play today - was looking forward to seeing him keep building each week.
Never Die Easy
WP.1
Player of the Month

just why??

both teams in dark jersey.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:

Bears and Lions, huh?
Wife made anniversary plans at an "ancient bathhouse" in the city and a massage... so I can't complain. Going to try and sneak my cell phone to watch the game in the pools though :lol:
Get yourself that happy ending.

I got a stream to play on my tv. It's crazy when I was young football was easy to watch porn was work to get. As I age porn is easy to get, football is getting more difficult.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:

Bears and Lions, huh?
Is that a euphemism?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

me one week: lets make dowell the head coach.
me the next week: please fire dowell during halftime.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The thought of Dowell being a head coach has never crossed my mind. Matter of fact, I have never had that thought for anyone on this staff.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That is embarassing, Jackson has to at least just knock that damn thing down.
WagonForce
MVP

Otis Day wrote:That is embarassing, Jackson has to at least just knock that damn thing down.
This team's third down defense is maddening.