Bears Free Agents

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Even if we resign Jones, it's possible we let go of Freeman. There's some good inside 'backers coming up on free agency. Preston Brown in Buffalo. Avery Williamson in Tennessee.
wab
Mod

Brown is going to get a shit ton of money. He's one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL that no one talks about.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:Brown is going to get a shit ton of money. He's one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL that no one talks about.
How important are ILBs to Fangio's scheme? They're often surprisingly cheap, Freeman is actually the 11th highest paid ILB in the league at $4m per. With Trevathan's injuries recently I'd have no bones throwing $7-8m at another young ILB to lock up the position if it is worth it in our D.

Cut Freeman, let Jones walk and bring in Brown and Timu at vet exception minimum or another JAG. Could be a nice way to shore up a position for not a lot of outlay.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

I don't think you let Jones walk. He's too versatile/valuable. He can play inside and outside. With the lack of pass rushers in FA and several top pass rushers heading back to school, it's going to be pretty slim.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I don't think you let Jones walk. He's too versatile/valuable. He can play inside and outside. With the lack of pass rushers in FA and several top pass rushers heading back to school, it's going to be pretty slim.
I've contemplated hating Christian Jones -- out of spite to you -- because of your hatred for Charles Leno :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:I don't think you let Jones walk. He's too versatile/valuable. He can play inside and outside. With the lack of pass rushers in FA and several top pass rushers heading back to school, it's going to be pretty slim.
I've contemplated hating Christian Jones -- out of spite to you -- because of your hatred for Charles Leno :lol:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm good with Jones as depth and thought Nick K was good but Freeman was awesome in 2016 - maybe our best defensive player - so I'm not sure I would give up on him. I know Pace is not one to put up with "character guys" but I'm open to the idea that Freeman was using PEDs to heal faster and could be counted on to behave himself.
xyt in the discord chats
malk
Head Coach

Perfectly happy for Jones to stay for a similar amount, though if he does preferably on a longer deal. Would also like to see him bumped outside more like a few have mentioned.

Ruminating a little more, I'd roll the dice on Freeman too, he's great when healthy and isn't costing much. If he hits the juice again he's gone without costing us a penny of cap or real money. Pretty low risk for a potential top end starter.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

There were a lot of people that were really excited about Roy Robertson-Harris when he was acquired. Do we need to sign a big name pass rusher? Or do we think that Fangio can coach him up to be a solid DE. Where is RRH's ceiling? A back-up role, or future starter?
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:There were a lot of people that were really excited about Roy Robertson-Harris when he was acquired. Do we need to sign a big name pass rusher? Or do we think that Fangio can coach him up to be a solid compliment to Floyd. Where is RRH's ceiling? A back-up role, or future starter?
I'm a big fan of his, they've bulked him up to play 5T so he's definitely going to be in the rotation moving forward. I would think camp should be a battle between Bullard and him to start opposite Hicks.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:There were a lot of people that were really excited about Roy Robertson-Harris when he was acquired. Do we need to sign a big name pass rusher? Or do we think that Fangio can coach him up to be a solid compliment to Floyd. Where is RRH's ceiling? A back-up role, or future starter?
I'm a big fan of his, they've bulked him up to play 5T so he's definitely going to be in the rotation moving forward. I would think camp should be a battle between Bullard and him to start opposite Hicks.
The dude is huge. I thought that he would be a little to tall to be a 3-4 DE/5T, but then again I don't know the dynamics of the position that well.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Actually, here is a great article on the different 3-4 base concepts. Very interesting.

3-4 Base Concepts
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
The dude is huge. I thought that he would be a little to tall to be a 3-4 DE/5T, but then again I don't know the dynamics of the position that well.
We don't know what happened to his speed since he bulked up 30-40 lbs from college to now but he's a couple of inches taller than JJ Watt/Joey Bosa and about the same weight/athletic metrics. I don't see that it would be his size that holds him back. I love his height and length at 5T, with an arm up he occupies a lot of space on passing downs even if he doesn't beat his man.

Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Actually, here is a great article on the different 3-4 base concepts. Very interesting.

3-4 Base Concepts
Who knew we had the answer at NT in a 3-4 all along :D knew we were silly cutting Ego Ferguson
Have a great day
Middleguard
MVP

Isn't it a case of Goldman being a 2-gap NT, while Ferguson was best suited for defending a single gap or (as Tucker wanted) the 2 gaps when lined up over a guard (is that called a 2T?)