If you could go back in-time to last off-season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:Matt Barkley
Beat me to it Adi.

Barkley should have been given a multi-year deal and told not to force it. I absolutely think he got caught up in trying to win the job and just pushed too damn hard. The Washington game killed off his chances but you take that and the zero prep 1st game against Green Bay away and his season isn't that different to Trubisky's. 61% completion rate, 6 TDs and 7 interceptions. This is a kid with hardly any experience that came from being a #3 to throwing 54 times in his first start, playing with a team that gave up 172 points over his 6 starts.

At the end of last year, we could have offered him virtually anything and he would have taken it but say 3 years, $10m and he shakes your hand off. What are the possible outcomes? Bear in mind a full offseason as a starter for the first time since college.

He can't control the interceptions, flames out and you start the rookie before cutting him for a minimal loss.
He improves to 1:1 TD:Int and isn't worth keeping around but has allowed the rook time to develop.
He improves to 3:2 TD:Int and is worth keeping around as a backup with the possibility of further improvement.
He improves to 2:1 TD:Int and is a fringe starter with upside on a great contract, a great trade chip.
He becomes a solid starter and you've got yourselves a QB controversy or a fantastic trade chip.

There's virtually zero risk in this, well, unless you think it was necessary for Pace's Glennon smokescreen to get Trubisky.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
malk
Head Coach

Richie wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:My problem was not Mike Glennon. My problem was $15 million dollars. That had to have hurt us somehow in other areas of FA.

I could've gone for Hoyer or J. McCown. Somebody like that.
I don't think it hurt us in free agency much. Seeing as we never flirted with having cap issues, and we didn't sign anyone else. I mean, maybe we make another modest signing or two. However, nothing that makes or breaks us contending this past year or next season. IMO
This again. If we don't sign Glennon we can make Bouye the highest paid corner in football (just so he signs with us over the Jags*) and bring in Wagner on his silly contract. That's:

$15m per year for Bouye (Norman's contract).
$47.5m for Wagner.
$122.5m overall and let's say they're flat contracts so $24.5m per year.

You save $18.5m by not signing Glennon, $14m of cap in 2017.
You cut Bobbie Massie and save $12m with a $1m cap hit, saving $5m of cap in 2017.
You don't sign Prince Amukamara and save $7 of cap in 2017.

That leaves a spare $1.5m and a cheap quarterback we need to find, or Barkley as above.

That could easily have been our offseaon and I'm salty as hell that the Glennoning screwed up the chances of it ever happening.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

malk wrote:This again. If we don't sign Glennon we can make Bouye the highest paid corner in football (just so he signs with us over the Jags*) and bring in Wagner on his silly contract. That's:

Rumor has it that the Bears offered Bouye more money than the Jags did, he turned it down for a chance to be on a winner...

Amukamara may not have been lights out but he was the best CB on the team this year.

Also if Pace doesn't sign Glennon, he doesn't sneak up and snatch Trubisky as Cleveland uses their superior amount of draft capital to jump ahead of the Bears and select him 2nd overall because it's now obvious the Bears are going to draft a QB in round 1... now this might have been a better thing anyway as then we would have been forced to draft Watson or Mahomes... (I am still not a fan of Watson but he played really well when given the chance and I'm not stupid).
Umbali
MVP

My answer would have been hire Mcvay
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Richie wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:My problem was not Mike Glennon. My problem was $15 million dollars. That had to have hurt us somehow in other areas of FA.

I don't think it hurt us in free agency much. Seeing as we never flirted with having cap issues, and we didn't sign anyone else. I mean, maybe we make another modest signing or two. However, nothing that makes or breaks us contending this past year or next season. IMO
Salary cap speaking you're right. However what we don't know is what impact spending that $15M had on subsequent decisions. Something like "Hey we just spent $15M on a QB. We need to reserve $X and $Y for needs A and B." Crap like that. Front office people always say they won't let money stop them from building a competitive team but then where are the signings?
Yup. In economics, they call that opportunity cost.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
malk wrote:This again. If we don't sign Glennon we can make Bouye the highest paid corner in football (just so he signs with us over the Jags*) and bring in Wagner on his silly contract. That's:

Rumor has it that the Bears offered Bouye more money than the Jags did, he turned it down for a chance to be on a winner...

Amukamara may not have been lights out but he was the best CB on the team this year.

Also if Pace doesn't sign Glennon, he doesn't sneak up and snatch Trubisky as Cleveland uses their superior amount of draft capital to jump ahead of the Bears and select him 2nd overall because it's now obvious the Bears are going to draft a QB in round 1... now this might have been a better thing anyway as then we would have been forced to draft Watson or Mahomes... (I am still not a fan of Watson but he played really well when given the chance and I'm not stupid).
1. Rumour schumer. When Bouye signed with the Jags their past three seasons were 3-13, 5-11, 3-13 and every man and his cat was questioning Bortles' ability. On the other hand Pace's biggest FA signings were McPhee and Trevathan, neither of which cost big money. It makes far more sense to me that Pace wasn't willing to commit to a big contract at that point, I think it's his biggest failing (combined with his willingness to give equivalent contracts to three average players).

2. Amukamara was good, not as good as Fuller in my opinion but good enough. But a) you can swap him for Cooper if you prefer b) Bouye is one of the best CBs in the league so Amukamara being good doesn't stop me being salty at missing out.

3. Without getting into Leibniz again, I don't buy that Cleveland or anyone else was certain to trade up to 2 to take Trubisky and you're also right that we don't know which of those QBs was the best one to take. I have zero problem that Pace took Trubisky, I have little problem with the trade up. But if anyone suggests that it was worth both the draft capital to trade up and the $18m guaranteed to bag Trubisky, well, I disagree.

wab
Mod

This Glennon/Bouye//Wagner thing literally doesn’t matter anymore.
docc
Head Coach

Awesome..nothing beats a Leibniz reference or two on Bears board..
Adipost
MVP

malk wrote:
Richie wrote:

This again. If we don't sign Glennon we can make Bouye the highest paid corner in football (just so he signs with us over the Jags*) and bring in Wagner on his silly contract. That's:

$47.5m for Wagner.
$122.5m overall and let's say they're flat contracts so $24.5m per year.

You save $18.5m by not signing Glennon, $14m of cap in 2017.
You cut Bobbie Massie and save $12m with a $1m cap hit, saving $5m of cap in 2017.

That leaves a spare $1.5m and a cheap quarterback we need to find, or Barkley as above.

That could easily have been our offseaon and I'm salty as hell that the Glennoning screwed up the chances of it ever happening.
Post of the year
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:This Glennon/Bouye//Wagner thing literally doesn’t matter anymore.
David Hume might disagree...

Until Pace demonstrates that he's learned how to be better at free agency then it matters to me. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that his past actions were conservative (to a fault) as he didn't want to commit to much before he had his QB in place. Now we're there, this free agency is very important.

This isn't about talent evaluation, it's about him making the right decision for the right reasons. No more Glennon, Wheaton type contracts and more McPhee, Trevathan ones.

G08
Hall of Famer

I would have said keep Barkley... kid threw too many picks, but he could have run the scaled down offense we installed for Mitchell.

Then again, it probably would have painted a huge red target on our franchise's back indicating we were taking a QB in the first round.

I'm fine with how it played out, only because Trubisky is here, is our future, and we have a top 8 pick.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I said then to keep Cutler for $12M. Or if that would end up being too locker room disruptive, Bring Hoyer back. Liked it then. Like it now.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This Glennon/Bouye//Wagner thing literally doesn’t matter anymore.

wab
Mod

I would have thrown a good bit of money at Hoyer, enough that it would seem like I wasn't interested in taking a QB high, and called him the starter.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I would have thrown a good bit of money at Hoyer, enough that it would seem like I wasn't interested in taking a QB high, and called him the starter.

exactly

the Glennon sideshow was an unnecessary and extravagant expense
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:I would have thrown a good bit of money at Hoyer, enough that it would seem like I wasn't interested in taking a QB high, and called him the starter.

exactly

Well, Glennon had more upside than Hoyer and there was always hope that Glennon could be flipped for a pick or two...so that was part of why he was signed.

A lot of people forget that Pace reportedly tried to trade for Glennon twice last season. And that a lot of teams called the Bucs about Glennon's availability, but the Bucs turned them down in hopes that Glennon would stay as the backup to Winston.

So it's not like Pace's interest was shocking.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

exactly

Well, Glennon had more upside than Hoyer and there was always hope that Glennon could be flipped for a pick or two...so that was part of why he was signed.

A lot of people forget that Pace reportedly tried to trade for Glennon twice last season. And that a lot of teams called the Bucs about Glennon's availability, but the Bucs turned them down in hopes that Glennon would stay as the backup to Winston.

So it's not like Pace's interest was shocking.
Pace's interest wasn't shocking ... Glennon being so fundamentally bad was

he had a nice resume in his part time playing role in Tampa, so don't know how he went from high valued backup to failed starter so easily ... it was a seamless transition to suckdom for him
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Well the fundamental problem I had was that once Trubisky was drafted, you had two entirely different styles of QB that were clearly better fits in certain offenses. And you know they were going to design the offense around the future QB...and that offense did NOT play to the strengths of Mike Glennon. Glennon looked so painfully uncomfortable trying to roll out and move in the pocket. He looked bad in part because nothing about the offense he was running was natural for him.

I dislike Mike Glennon more than I've disliked any other Bears player (even more than Leno). But I won't sit here and pretend he was set up for success.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Well the fundamental problem I had was that once Trubisky was drafted, you had two entirely different styles of QB that were clearly better fits in certain offenses. And you know they were going to design the offense around the future QB...and that offense did NOT play to the strengths of Mike Glennon. Glennon looked so painfully uncomfortable trying to roll out and move in the pocket. He looked bad in part because nothing about the offense he was running was natural for him.

I dislike Mike Glennon more than I've disliked any other Bears player (even more than Leno). But I won't sit here and pretend he was set up for success.
while all that may be true, just go back and watch some tape on him ... his poor footwork ... his so very slow reads and decision making ... that;s what I was referring to as fundamental failure ... doesn't matter what type of offense it is if you don't bring an NFL skill set with you

I guess it would be useful to go back and watch some tape of him in Tampa ... were those flaws there as well and his offense made him look better? and of course the offense he ran was the more traditional dropback passing game because Tamp apparently realized mobility was not his strong suit

so I guess it is a chicken and egg thing with the Bears ... did he suck because the offensive system was not one he could comfortably run, or was he simply not starter quality regardless of the offense he might have been in?

it will be interesting to see what happens with his new team (if the Bears bring him back, they are stupid)
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Who is this "Glennon" you speak of..?

Dead issue..
He GONE..
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Who is this "Glennon" you speak of..?

Dead issue..
He GONE..
Dont be stupid, Nagy is going to want to see how Glennon looks running an RPO before kicking him to the curb.

G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:

Dead issue..
He GONE..
Dont be stupid, Nagy is going to want to see how Glennon looks running an RPO before kicking him to the curb.

God damnit :rofl:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
docc
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:

Dead issue..
He GONE..

Well in that post..Glennon does look more mobile than we have seen him..
Richie
MVP

docc wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:

Dead issue..
He GONE..

Well in that post..Glennon does look more mobile than we have seen him..
Lol

Nice
Richie
MVP

Dead issue..
He GONE..
I mean, it's a dead issue to the team. However, this doesn't mean fans can't speculate.
Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote:I said then to keep Cutler for $12M. Or if that would end up being too locker room disruptive, Bring Hoyer back. Liked it then. Like it now.
Yeah...

This is what I said too, and said even louder when I realized Glennon was the wrong move.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:

Dead issue..
He GONE..

Pure grace right there...