16th Head Coach of the Chicago Bears: Matt Nagy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK. I just watched all of the PC's straight through.

I had said in an earlier post that this time the coaching change felt different. Something felt right. It didn't feel right with Trestman, it didn't feel right with Fox. This feels right. The HC and OC are locked arm in arm. the quality of coaches that Nagy is gathering (Fangio, Hellfrich, Hiestand, Tabor), the language that they are using in the pressers. When Loggains was standing at the podium, we didn't hear him dissecting the QB's mechanics (watch his feet and eyes). Hellfrich is on SUCH a different level than any OC we've had in awhile. His understanding of the WCO/RPO, teaching QB's, and installing effective offenses is so much more advanced. To say that I am impressed with Hellfrich would be a HUGE understatement.

This is different. Vastly different. Yes it comes down to wins. But the coaching staff that Pace/Nagy have assembled is just ridiculous. Youth, enthusiasm, experience, intelligence.
I am totally with you on this ... and those are the same feelings I came away with after watching those PC's

theu have good ideas and concepts, understand the challenges, and have a young talented and coachable QB to work with ... it is confidence boosting for sure
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK. I just watched all of the PC's straight through.

I had said in an earlier post that this time the coaching change felt different. Something felt right. It didn't feel right with Trestman, it didn't feel right with Fox. This feels right. The HC and OC are locked arm in arm. the quality of coaches that Nagy is gathering (Fangio, Hellfrich, Hiestand, Tabor), the language that they are using in the pressers. When Loggains was standing at the podium, we didn't hear him dissecting the QB's mechanics (watch his feet and eyes). Hellfrich is on SUCH a different level than any OC we've had in awhile. His understanding of the WCO/RPO, teaching QB's, and installing effective offenses is so much more advanced. To say that I am impressed with Hellfrich would be a HUGE understatement.

This is different. Vastly different. Yes it comes down to wins. But the coaching staff that Pace/Nagy have assembled is just ridiculous. Youth, enthusiasm, experience, intelligence.

To me it is just refreshing not having to listen to Fox speak
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
UOK
Site Admin

I’m sure as time goes by and losses pile up, the coaches won’t be as forthcoming. That said maybe they’ll be less confrontational or spiteful as Fox was. Time will tell.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I’m sure as time goes by and losses pile up, the coaches won’t be as forthcoming. That said maybe they’ll be less confrontational or spiteful as Fox was. Time will tell.
Are you predicting losses piling up? :-P :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
GSH
MVP

yeah i noticed that different vibe at the pressers too. Although would still be nice if the bears would pay for one or two more damn mics to point at reporters, havent been able to hear questions in bears pressers for ages.

I also thought i almost saw fangio crack a smile at one point, im chalking that one up to indigestion though so not fully mainlining the kool aid yet.

can we fast forward to pre-season now?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:yeah i noticed that different vibe at the pressers too. Although would still be nice if the bears would pay for one or two more damn mics to point at reporters, havent been able to hear questions in bears pressers for ages.

I also thought i almost saw fangio crack a smile at one point, im chalking that one up to indigestion though so not fully mainlining the kool aid yet.

I'd settle for free agency. But yeah.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:
GSH wrote:yeah i noticed that different vibe at the pressers too. Although would still be nice if the bears would pay for one or two more damn mics to point at reporters, havent been able to hear questions in bears pressers for ages.

I'd settle for free agency. But yeah.
I’ll settle for the Jaguars/Eagles Super Bowl to be over and this dumpster fire of a season to be over.
GSH
MVP

yeah about that jags superbowl...
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

GSH wrote:yeah about that jags superbowl...
Not that I give a flying fuck if it’s not the Bears :-P
UOK
Site Admin

Nagy reviewing Bears film.

malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Nagy reviewing Bears film.

"Christ, what have I signed up for...".
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Looks like he’s playing tecmo bowl.
wab
Mod

Me, during almost all Bears games over the last 5 or so seasons.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:

And that's generally before halftime!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lol
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

malk wrote:

"Christ, what have I signed up for...".
I'm thinking more sigh of relief Loggains is gone. Probably on third drive of first game saying run left run middle pass to RB. It's every dam time
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

That's great
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smith believes new Bears coach Matt Nagy — the Chiefs offensive coordinator the last two seasons and quarterbacks coach for three years before that — will work wonders with Mitch Trubisky, another 2017 first-round pick. When the Bears hired Nagy earlier this month, he raved about his relationship with Smith, and the feeling is clearly mutual for the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, who between stops to talk about what lies ahead for him reflected on a coach who helped him improve as a player.

“He and I spent five years together and we were about as close as it gets from a coach-and-player relationship,” said Smith, who remains under contract to the Chiefs for one more year and is the subject of trade speculation. “To see him grow as a quarterbacks coach, then go to coordinator and now I am pumped for him as he becomes a head coach.

“I think he is going to do awesome. He has the it deal. I don’t know how to say it, but he is so comfortable around the guys, so comfortable in front of the room. Leading guys, he is so real, honest and very gifted from an X’s and O’s standpoint.

“I just think he is going to utilize Trubisky’s strengths from day one,” Smith said. “He is going to find out what those are and take advantage of them. I think (Nagy) is going to put him in positions to have success early to get in a rhythm.

“It’s hard sometimes, and I’ve been there. I watched (the Bears) a couple times this year and felt almost all of (Trubisky’s) pass attempts came on third down, and that’s a hard way to play because I have been there too as a young player. He didn’t have the breather completions and throws to get himself into a rhythm, and I think Matt will do a great job just building it around him, tailoring it to his strengths, putting pieces around him that will help him.”
Hematite
Player of the Month

UOK wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html

Smith believes new Bears coach Matt Nagy — the Chiefs offensive coordinator the last two seasons and quarterbacks coach for three years before that — will work wonders with Mitch Trubisky, another 2017 first-round pick. When the Bears hired Nagy earlier this month, he raved about his relationship with Smith, and the feeling is clearly mutual for the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, who between stops to talk about what lies ahead for him reflected on a coach who helped him improve as a player.

“He and I spent five years together and we were about as close as it gets from a coach-and-player relationship,” said Smith, who remains under contract to the Chiefs for one more year and is the subject of trade speculation. “To see him grow as a quarterbacks coach, then go to coordinator and now I am pumped for him as he becomes a head coach.

“I think he is going to do awesome. He has the it deal. I don’t know how to say it, but he is so comfortable around the guys, so comfortable in front of the room. Leading guys, he is so real, honest and very gifted from an X’s and O’s standpoint.

“I just think he is going to utilize Trubisky’s strengths from day one,” Smith said. “He is going to find out what those are and take advantage of them. I think (Nagy) is going to put him in positions to have success early to get in a rhythm.

“It’s hard sometimes, and I’ve been there. I watched (the Bears) a couple times this year and felt almost all of (Trubisky’s) pass attempts came on third down, and that’s a hard way to play because I have been there too as a young player. He didn’t have the breather completions and throws to get himself into a rhythm, and I think Matt will do a great job just building it around him, tailoring it to his strengths, putting pieces around him that will help him.”
No shit! Even Alex Smith knows throwing on 3rd and long with a banged up O-line after running twice into a stacked box is a recipe for disaster. There is hope!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:

No shit! Even Alex Smith knows throwing on 3rd and long with a banged up O-line after running twice into a stacked box is a recipe for disaster. There is hope!
Right? You would think an OC would understand that. Apparently not.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It looks like there's finally an offseason where the Bears have their shit together but everybody else has their head up their ass. Here's looking at you Oakland and Washington!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Four Vertical concept was a link that I had posted something about earlier. It's a staple of a spread offense, and something that I think Helfrich knows a lot about, and will do a great job of helping Nagy install.
Pagan
MVP

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:

And that's generally before halftime!
After we tweak the forums to be more media friendly, I'd LOVE for us to consider a Bears themed meme/GIF room.

We've got a ton clever fans here that would make great use of this I'd bet.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

this is pretty great, after all the hand wringing over teddy and george being involved in the hiring process:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bea ... iasco/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Pace said: ‘‘Having [chairman] George [McCaskey] and [CEO] Ted [Phillips] by my side was valuable because . . . when we did come to that conclusion, it was: ‘Hey, let’s go.’ ’’

What we think: The Bears were criticized for involving McCaskey and Phillips in the search, but their participation allowed Pace to act quickly once he made his choice.

For Pace, that happened during a private dinner with Nagy and their wives after their morning interview. It also took place after the Colts had met with Nagy.

Because Ballard had worked with Nagy in Kansas City, the Bears sensed they had to act fast if Nagy emerged as their favorite.

The Colts’ search was different. Owner Jim Irsay reportedly wasn’t involved until their second interview with McDaniels, which took place during the week off before the Super Bowl.

The Bears were certain of the uncertainty surrounding McDaniels. They also understood hiring McDaniels likely would involve waiting, therefore creating more uncertainty, especially for staffing.

Pace also felt better about Nagy. It started with his extensive research and continued when they connected in the interview.

By hiring Nagy a week after firing John Fox, the Bears were able to secure the return of defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and lure respected offensive-line coach Harry Hiestand from Notre Dame.
sturf
Journeyman

So it has been a month since Nagy has been hired. Since then he has kept Fangio and his staff. He brought in Helfrich, Hiestand, and Childress to install the offense and mostly experienced position coaches. We watched Philly win the Superbowl with a similarly based offense.

And we have seen the other teams hire their coaches and the mess that is Josh McD. Many of which seem just as likely to result in worse coaching than better coaching.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:this is pretty great, after all the hand wringing over teddy and george being involved in the hiring process:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bea ... iasco/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Pace said: ‘‘Having [chairman] George [McCaskey] and [CEO] Ted [Phillips] by my side was valuable because . . . when we did come to that conclusion, it was: ‘Hey, let’s go.’ ’’

What we think: The Bears were criticized for involving McCaskey and Phillips in the search, but their participation allowed Pace to act quickly once he made his choice.

For Pace, that happened during a private dinner with Nagy and their wives after their morning interview. It also took place after the Colts had met with Nagy.

Because Ballard had worked with Nagy in Kansas City, the Bears sensed they had to act fast if Nagy emerged as their favorite.

The Colts’ search was different. Owner Jim Irsay reportedly wasn’t involved until their second interview with McDaniels, which took place during the week off before the Super Bowl.

The Bears were certain of the uncertainty surrounding McDaniels. They also understood hiring McDaniels likely would involve waiting, therefore creating more uncertainty, especially for staffing.

Pace also felt better about Nagy. It started with his extensive research and continued when they connected in the interview.

By hiring Nagy a week after firing John Fox, the Bears were able to secure the return of defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and lure respected offensive-line coach Harry Hiestand from Notre Dame.
yeah. As of right now. I would say that Ryan Pace has absolutely nailed this off-season. He has done a great job.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Absolutely. From a front office / coaching perspective, the Bears have had the best offseason of any team thus far.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Absolutely. From a front office / coaching perspective, the Bears have had the best offseason of any team thus far.
When we signed Mike Ditka, it was kind of a questionable move back then. But it worked out great. And when we brought in Dave Wannstedt, that looked like a home run at the time. And we all know how that played out.

I entirely agree that the Bears look like winners the last month with their coaching hires. But winning the offseason is no guarantee of anything but a ramp up of hope. I truly want to look like a fool later for pouring lukewarm water on the Nagy celebration. I'll buy in when I see the wins ramp up. I sure hope it happens.