16th Head Coach of the Chicago Bears: Matt Nagy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Matt Nagy in action.
Dude, Nagy's got some juice to him. I expect that he's reigned it in a bit since his AFL days, but I love the passion.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lol holy shit
GSH
MVP

That's the first Arena Football i've ever watched. wild.
UOK
Site Admin

1. That video quality is straight basement-moldered, long-forgotten, acid-eaten VHS, holy crap. Bad.

2. It's weird to see Mike & Mike do commentary. I had no idea they ever did this.

3. This guy's emotional output makes John Fox look like a corpse.

4. Nagy's eyes are awesome, in a freaky, "I've killed people" kind of way.
G08
Hall of Famer

Dig the fire but dude's got to keep his composure. It's what I was talking about last week in another thread.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

UOK wrote:1. That video quality is straight basement-moldered, long-forgotten, acid-eaten VHS, holy crap. Bad.

2. It's weird to see Mike & Mike do commentary. I had no idea they ever did this.

3. This guy's emotional output makes John Fox look like a corpse.

4. Nagy's eyes are awesome, in a freaky, "I've killed people" kind of way.

Back in the day they did the second game of the Monday Night Football double-header. It wasn't too bad.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hematite
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:Dig the fire but dude's got to keep his composure. It's what I was talking about last week in another thread.
So long ago and a totally different capacity. I can't imagine an Andy Reid protege not being under control. We shall see.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:
G08 wrote:Dig the fire but dude's got to keep his composure. It's what I was talking about last week in another thread.
So long ago and a totally different capacity. I can't imagine an Andy Reid protege not being under control. We shall see.
For sure, just saying it was something that caught my attention.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
sturf
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
Hematite wrote:
For sure, just saying it was something that caught my attention.
The complete lack of urgency of the part of his coaches caught my attention just as much.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

GSH wrote:That's the first Arena Football i've ever watched. wild.
Back when I was dating my wife, she got me Chicago Rush season tickets. It was seriously an awesome time.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Loved the PC's. Just looking at the Bears HC, and Coordinators gets me excited. This is what I wanted. This is the perfect scenario. I wanted young offensive coaches to come in and inject a certain level of excitement, and bring an aggressive and progressive offense. A group of coaches that could relate with their young GM, and connect with their young hotshot rookie QB. I am already excited for Bears football.

Let's get this party started!
MoFugger
Head Coach

Teddy KGB wrote:
GSH wrote:That's the first Arena Football i've ever watched. wild.
Back when I was dating my wife, she got me Chicago Rush season tickets. It was seriously an awesome time.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
When I moved to Arizona in 2005, my wife's company does payroll for the Rattlers, and the arena that they play at. So we would get occasional free tickets and 30% off concessions. It was always a really good time. They lost the contract after the 2014 season I honestly don't even know if they still exist.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

OK. I just watched all of the PC's straight through.

I had said in an earlier post that this time the coaching change felt different. Something felt right. It didn't feel right with Trestman, it didn't feel right with Fox. This feels right. The HC and OC are locked arm in arm. the quality of coaches that Nagy is gathering (Fangio, Hellfrich, Hiestand, Tabor), the language that they are using in the pressers. When Loggains was standing at the podium, we didn't hear him dissecting the QB's mechanics (watch his feet and eyes). Hellfrich is on SUCH a different level than any OC we've had in awhile. His understanding of the WCO/RPO, teaching QB's, and installing effective offenses is so much more advanced. To say that I am impressed with Hellfrich would be a HUGE understatement.

This is different. Vastly different. Yes it comes down to wins. But the coaching staff that Pace/Nagy have assembled is just ridiculous. Youth, enthusiasm, experience, intelligence.

BR0D1E86
MVP

I’ve got to say, in my opinion the Bears have absolutely knocked their offseason out of the park so far. I literally could not be happier with all the coaching decisions.

I talked myself into liking the last couple. I’m thrilled with how this has gone. I’m very excited to see how the rest of the offseason goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Here is a great article on the WCO, and its philosophies. Matt Nagy mentioned the base paly of 22 Z-in. This article diagrams and explains that concept. It also highlights the strategy behind scoring. Once you hit the 25 yard line, you shoot for the end zone. Trying to smash it through another team's defense, all the way through the red zone, is a losing proposition (what a novel fucking concept).

I had mentioned the concept of Four Verticals in another thread. That will be something that Hellfrich brings to this party. I expect to see the concepts of that offense blended with the base WCO.

WCO Concepts

Four Verticals
Wounded Bear
MVP

I didn't like the Wannstedt pick, I didn't like the Jauron pick, I didn't like the Lovie, Trestman or Fox picks either. They all felt forced, like trying to put a square peg in a round hole type of deal. It always felt like the Bears front office were "polishing up a turd" when attempting to sell these coaches to the fan base in the past.

But the Nagy selection feels like we finally got out of the dark ages of "old school" football philosophy (a.k.a., unimaginative, uninspired, predictable football) and tapped into a more progressive, dynamic brand of football. Now I'm sure as hell not expecting great success right out of the blocks, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we did.

And now that we have most of the key pieces in place, I am very interested to how Pace navigates Free Agency for the next couple years.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

This is the best I have felt since Lovie. Lovie felt ok at the time, said the right things and pretty much delivered for a while. He just couldn't get over the hump and get the offense right.

This staff, with its offensive potential and defense pretty much locked in already makes me that much more giddy.
IotaNet
MVP

Someone made this point last week and I agree with it ... this feels the same ways it did when Rocky Wirtz took over the Hawks and more recently when Theo Epstein took over the Cubs. There just seems to be a different energy around the team. I believe we will see it free agency too — there will be some blue chip free agents that are going to WANT to come and be a part of what’s happening here.

The arrow is definitely pointing up.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

yes, indeed

now I'm gonna have to figure out where I can put a real TV in my house - haven't had one since the Lovie daze
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK. I just watched all of the PC's straight through.

I had said in an earlier post that this time the coaching change felt different. Something felt right. It didn't feel right with Trestman, it didn't feel right with Fox. This feels right. The HC and OC are locked arm in arm. the quality of coaches that Nagy is gathering (Fangio, Hellfrich, Hiestand, Tabor), the language that they are using in the pressers. When Loggains was standing at the podium, we didn't hear him dissecting the QB's mechanics (watch his feet and eyes). Hellfrich is on SUCH a different level than any OC we've had in awhile. His understanding of the WCO/RPO, teaching QB's, and installing effective offenses is so much more advanced. To say that I am impressed with Hellfrich would be a HUGE understatement.

This is different. Vastly different. Yes it comes down to wins. But the coaching staff that Pace/Nagy have assembled is just ridiculous. Youth, enthusiasm, experience, intelligence.
I am totally with you on this ... and those are the same feelings I came away with after watching those PC's

theu have good ideas and concepts, understand the challenges, and have a young talented and coachable QB to work with ... it is confidence boosting for sure
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK. I just watched all of the PC's straight through.

To me it is just refreshing not having to listen to Fox speak
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
UOK
Site Admin

I’m sure as time goes by and losses pile up, the coaches won’t be as forthcoming. That said maybe they’ll be less confrontational or spiteful as Fox was. Time will tell.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I’m sure as time goes by and losses pile up, the coaches won’t be as forthcoming. That said maybe they’ll be less confrontational or spiteful as Fox was. Time will tell.
Are you predicting losses piling up? :-P :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

GSH
MVP

yeah i noticed that different vibe at the pressers too. Although would still be nice if the bears would pay for one or two more damn mics to point at reporters, havent been able to hear questions in bears pressers for ages.

I also thought i almost saw fangio crack a smile at one point, im chalking that one up to indigestion though so not fully mainlining the kool aid yet.

can we fast forward to pre-season now?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:yeah i noticed that different vibe at the pressers too. Although would still be nice if the bears would pay for one or two more damn mics to point at reporters, havent been able to hear questions in bears pressers for ages.

I also thought i almost saw fangio crack a smile at one point, im chalking that one up to indigestion though so not fully mainlining the kool aid yet.

I'd settle for free agency. But yeah.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:
GSH wrote:yeah i noticed that different vibe at the pressers too. Although would still be nice if the bears would pay for one or two more damn mics to point at reporters, havent been able to hear questions in bears pressers for ages.

I'd settle for free agency. But yeah.
I’ll settle for the Jaguars/Eagles Super Bowl to be over and this dumpster fire of a season to be over.
GSH
MVP

yeah about that jags superbowl...
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

GSH wrote:yeah about that jags superbowl...
Not that I give a flying fuck if it’s not the Bears :-P
UOK
Site Admin

Nagy reviewing Bears film.