Update: Vic Fangio returns to Bears as DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:I don't hate it.

Timing is pretty interesting, given that Fangio's officially free to leave tomorrow at 3pm.

We heard that Flip was cool with Fangio - but they never reported on Nagy.

Gabriel said yesterday that Reid would be an excellent resource for helping Nagy put together a good staff (and that he would have a leg up on Flip in this area). Reid apparently was a big part of putting together Pedersons staff in Philly.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
UOK
Site Admin

Timing is pretty interesting, given that Fangio's officially free to leave tomorrow at 3pm.
Thing is that Nagy's available now, unlike McDaniels and DeFilippo, who may not be around or interested by the time their seasons come to an end. Fangio also may be poached by that point.

I think Pace liked the guy well enough to make a move and also potentially time it to keep Fangio in house.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:

Thing is that Nagy's available now, unlike McDaniels and DeFilippo, who may not be around or interested by the time their seasons come to an end. Fangio also may be poached by that point.

I think Pace liked the guy well enough to make a move and also potentially time it to keep Fangio in house.
Yeah, and I think overall this is a good thing and the right move, whether he's able to keep Fangio around or not.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:

Nagy and Fangio is ok by me ... if Fangio declines, that is his choice but I would like to see him stay so at least the defensive side of the ball doesn't have to be in transition
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@RobertZeglinski
22s
The Andy Reid coaching tree is pretty stellar as it includes John Harbaugh, Ron Rivera, and Doug Pedersen.
With that in mind, for what it’s worth, Reid called Matt Nagy the best assistant on any side he’s ever had.
Therein lies the source of my optimism. It's not like Nagy has much of a resume.

Any word on whether he's OK with Fangio?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

If Fangio did leave, the Bears could do worse than Bradley. The players the Bears have translate pretty well to the defense he ran in Seattle and even Jax.

Hicks would play the “heavy” end, Goldman at nose, Bullard at 3T. Floyd could play either DE or the LEO. Jones could play LEO if Floyd played DE. They have the safeties to make it work.

I would prefer to stay with Fangio and the 3-4 but I don’t think it would be the end of the world if they moved to Bradley’s Defense.
sturf
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:UGH! I would hate to see them have to adapt to a new scheme. Where would the pieces go?

Leonard Floyd - DE? The other DE from the draft? Robertson-Harris? Maybe Young if he can be the player he was.
Hicks - NT? 3T? He's too big for that right? Bullard as 3T?
Trevethan - Mike
Kwiatkowski - Sam
Jones - Will

I guess I can see it. But I really thought they were coming together in the 3-4.
Rather just keep Fangio, but Bradley is the Pete Carroll defense, which is a 4-3 with 5 guys on the line of scrimmage so not as different from a 3-4.

DT - Bullard - 1 Gap
NT -Goldman - 2 Gap
LDE - Hicks - 2 Gap
Trevathan and Kwit fit fine as the two ILB
Pure free safety in Jackson for cover 3

and then they could either play Jones as the SAM and Floyd as the RDE pass rusher, or more likely play Floyd at SAM and bring in a pure pass rusher for the RDE.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:If Fangio did leave, the Bears could do worse than Bradley. The players the Bears have translate pretty well to the defense he ran in Seattle and even Jax.

Hicks would play the “heavy” end, Goldman at nose, Bullard at 3T. Floyd could play either DE or the LEO. Jones could play LEO if Floyd played DE. They have the safeties to make it work.

I would prefer to stay with Fangio and the 3-4 but I don’t think it would be the end of the world if they moved to Bradley’s Defense.
Pettine interviewing with the Packers today tells me that Fangio is staying. He was supposed to be Nagy’s DC, but he obviously no longer thinks Nagy needs his services.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:If Fangio did leave, the Bears could do worse than Bradley. The players the Bears have translate pretty well to the defense he ran in Seattle and even Jax.

Pettine interviewing with the Packers today tells me that Fangio is staying. He was supposed to be Nagy’s DC, but he obviously no longer thinks Nagy needs his services.

Or it’s still unresolved and he doesn’t want to be left without a spot.

UOK
Site Admin

Fangio is leveraging for a raise, methinks.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Or it’s still unresolved and he doesn’t want to be left without a spot.
Yeah, that doesn't tell me a lot. Pettine wants to keep his options open. I think the 1pm presser will tell a lot. If Fangio's name doesn't come up, or Nagy says, 'I look forward to putting together a winning coaching staff,' then we can be pretty sure Fangio's gone.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Fangio is leveraging for a raise, methinks.
...and so he should, and so he should get one. There is no reason for the Bears not to make him the top, or top three paid DC's in the league.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm confused on the Gus Bradley talk... didn't he JUST sign with the Chargers this past season? Is he out of contract already / is he fired?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:I'm confused on the Gus Bradley talk... didn't he JUST sign with the Chargers this past season? Is he out of contract already / is he fired?
He had a 1 year deal.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i did see somewhere the other day, biggs said vic fangio is one of the highest paid dc's in the league already. he makes an average of 2mil a year, normally DC's make around 1.5 mil.

i cant for the life of me find where he said it though.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm confused on the Gus Bradley talk... didn't he JUST sign with the Chargers this past season? Is he out of contract already / is he fired?
He had a 1 year deal.
No shit? That's insane to me... they went from 29th to 3rd.

G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:i did see somewhere the other day, biggs said vic fangio is one of the highest paid dc's in the league already. he makes an average of 2mil a year, normally DC's make around 1.5 mil.

i cant for the life of me find where he said it though.
I heard something similar to that on the radio the other day.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:
He had a 1 year deal.
No shit? That's insane to me... they went from 29th to 3rd.
Which is why the Chargers want to keep him and the Bears / Seahawks possibly want to hire him.

G08
Hall of Famer

How unbelievably Bears would this be for Fangio to leave us for Green Bay.

I mean fuck me.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Image

I mean fuck me.
I just don't see it, honestly, and if he did go up there his chances of succeeding would be based on Aaron Rodgers more than anything else.

Here's what Biggs and Wannstedt said this morning, and I side with him (along with a couple of my own thoughts):

REASONS TO STAY
  • Fangio came here when the chips were down and invested several years into making this team what it is, so why would he want to leave when things are coming to fruition?
  • Moving his family again would suck, and is one of the major things coaches consider when faced with these situations.
  • Green Bay is in a management overhaul phase and could be on the brink of a decline. Kind of a bad time to go to the typically-successful Packers.
  • The Bears future appears bright, and as a 60 year old, Fangio probably won't find a better opportunity to finish out his career in a big way here in Chicago.
  • Chicago is an obscenely amazing sports market, whereas Green Bay is an icy shithole and one of the smallest markets in sports. Success in Chicago, particularly on defense, earns you a lifetime pass to any and all restaurants and marketing opportunities. You win in Chicago, you win forever. Your name lives on.
REASONS TO GO
  • Fangio deserves to be paid above the league average and at a rate that should be similar to a head coach hire. Bears may give him a raise, but desperate teams may give him a gross overpayment which Bears aren't likely to match.
  • Fangio is likely calling up his league contacts to see what working with Nagy is like. He may not like what he hears.
  • Fangio got turned down for the Bears head coaching gig and may feel disrespected.
  • Guy just wants a fresh start.
  • A guy like Pat Shurmur could be an old friend who wants Fangio to do him a favor and help another old dog out. Old Boys Club kinda shit.
  • Fangio's got family in California, so wouldn't shock me if he'd rather be closer to them.
  • Aaron Rodgers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I mean fuck me.
Report: Bears Fangio Top Candidate to become Packers DC

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I mean fuck me.
My Life would go on. I might even celebrate. Vic is overrated, that Packers defensive roster isn't all that, and it gives us someone new.

It's a win all around.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
G08
Hall of Famer

I would HAVE to think Nagy has a backup plan if Fangio bolts, right? RIGHT!?

In all seriousness, Mike Pettine is out there, Chuck Pagano, Gus Bradley, etc. Ed Donatell can get a promotion here. We'll have options. I just don't want another repeat of the Trestman/Marinelli debacle that resulted in Mel fucking Tucker.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:I would HAVE to think Nagy has a backup plan if Fangio bolts, right? RIGHT!?

In all seriousness, Mike Pettine is out there, Chuck Pagano, Gus Bradley, etc. Ed Donatell can get a promotion here. We'll have options. I just don't want another repeat of the Trestman/Marinelli debacle that resulted in Mel fucking Tucker.
This is an impossibility.

Trestman had very little, if not zero pull around the league to bring in a good staff. Nagy being from the Reid tree alone will benefit him finding an exciting pool of coaches to hire. Not to mention he likely gave Pace a very convincing list of prospects that he could call if he was hired.
Funkster
MVP

UOK wrote: Not to mention he likely gave Pace a very convincing list of prospects that he could call if he was hired.
Us fans weren't in the room, but we all can be 99.9% sure this question was asked. The answer to this question was most likely the reason Pace wouldn't leave until Nagy agreed to terms.

I'm expecting someone to leak information today on Fangio. His name has been silent on social media, the only other talk is the pukes DC job. I just don't see him wanting to go through yet another rebuild. His pieces are in place, it's time to reap the fruits of his labor.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
G08 wrote:I would HAVE to think Nagy has a backup plan if Fangio bolts, right? RIGHT!?

This is an impossibility.

Trestman had very little, if not zero pull around the league to bring in a good staff. Nagy being from the Reid tree alone will benefit him finding an exciting pool of coaches to hire. Not to mention he likely gave Pace a very convincing list of prospects that he could call if he was hired.
Hey man, this team doesn't deserve my benefit of the doubt anymore. I'm going off history and it hasn't been pretty.

They can show me first.

Adipost
MVP

If Fangio does leave, it will be to Miami methinks
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:If Fangio does leave, it will be to Miami methinks
It sure would be weird to see how the coaching staff that likely would've been in Chicago had Fox been supplanted by Gase wearing teal.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:
Adipost wrote:If Fangio does leave, it will be to Miami methinks
It sure would be weird to see how the coaching staff that likely would've been in Chicago had Fox been supplanted by Gase wearing teal.
LOL. I remember Fangio was supposed to be Gase’s DC in 2015, but Gase backed out of the SF job. Then Fangio followed Gase to Chicago.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

time to get off my a** so I'm gonna take my first shower and shave for 2018 - gotta get groceries, see people..

Pace be with you
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.