Update: Vic Fangio returns to Bears as DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Cool press conference from Vic. Said it wasn't one or two factors but a bevy of things.
  • wanted the winters to be shorter and a golf course membership (half joking)
  • had to consider all the opportunities available to him in addition to the Bears
  • didn't have to clean his office out while he wasn't under contract
  • talked to Nagy and liked how open-minded he is and that the outlook is very positive
  • wasn't wounded by head coach opportunity lost, said that he didn't want him being interviewed to put off the new head coach
  • intends to keep bulk if not all of his staff
  • feels like of his "so-called 'good'" guys on defense (he named Hicks, Floyd, Trevathan, Jackson, and Goldman) have "a lot more to give"
  • brushed off all the praise, saying that they were a 5-11 team last year
  • felt like the talent on the roster and direction of the franchise were appealing
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

He's about as exciting to listen to as Belichick. Good PC, but good Lord he's boring.
sturf
Journeyman

G08 wrote:It was pretty awesome seeing how in awe Mark Helfrich was of Fangio. He complemented him multiple times, Nagy did so as well, and I sincerely hope Nagy learns defense through Vic's eyes and uses that knowledge to become even better on offense.
I had forgot Fangio and Helfrich went head to head in huge games with Fangio was at Stanford with Harbaugh.
G08
Hall of Famer

On deciding to return to the Bears

“I tried to get two things they wouldn’t give me. One, to give me a membership over here at Conway Farms (Golf Club). They wouldn’t do that. And to shorten to the winters, and they said they couldn’t do that either. But it’s never black and white. It’s not a mathematical equation where you come up with the right answer. A lot of it turns out to be your gut feel, where you think the best place is, and not necessarily for the next 12 months but for the next five, six, seven, eight years. So it was appealing to me in that way.”
Someone keep an eye on Mofugger...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This probably took him over the edge... Come back Mo, take the ride with us. Could be a fun ride, give it some time dude, you will be alright.
G08
Hall of Famer

Same age that Dom Capers first started with Green Bay and stayed for 9 years or so... hoping we follow suit but with better results!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:He's about as exciting to listen to as Belichick. Good PC, but good Lord he's boring.
My other observation is, holy hell is he honest. He doesn't sugar coat anything at all. It's probably why his players love him so much.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:This probably took him over the edge... Come back Mo, take the ride with us. Could be a fun ride, give it some time dude, you will be alright.
Overall, I'm fine with it. I just think we could have done better.
I am very passionate about this team, as well as Kentucky bourbon, and sometimes the combination of the two lead me to make overblown statements like somebody's going to get fired after a 5 and 11 season.
But I suppose everyone is well aware of my feelings here. And I'm not going to harp on it anymore. I really do like the direction this team seems to be going in, so I'm going to be optimistic and, hope that I'm wrong about Vic.
The guy is a Chicago Bear, it's a new season, and he has my full support until he gives me a reason not to when the games start counting.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
G08
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
Otis Day wrote:This probably took him over the edge... Come back Mo, take the ride with us. Could be a fun ride, give it some time dude, you will be alright.
Overall, I'm fine with it. I just think we could have done better.
I am very passionate about this team, as well as Kentucky bourbon, and sometimes the combination of the two lead me to make overblown statements like somebody's going to get fired after a 5 and 11 season.
But I suppose everyone is well aware of my feelings here. And I'm not going to harp on it anymore. I really do like the direction this team seems to be going in, so I'm going to be optimistic and, hope that I'm wrong about Vic.
The guy is a Chicago Bear, it's a new season, and he has my full support until he gives me a reason not to when the games start counting.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

we still love you mofug
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:He's about as exciting to listen to as Belichick. Good PC, but good Lord he's boring.
My other observation is, holy hell is he honest. He doesn't sugar coat anything at all. It's probably why his players love him so much.
...and probably why nobody wants him as a head coach.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:we still love you mofug
uh..get a room..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:we still love you mofug
uh..get a room..
It's all good. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Funkster
MVP

The offensive staff has been put together, any word about the defense besides Vic?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:The offensive staff has been put together, any word about the defense besides Vic?
Vic said that he will be retaining the majority of his staff. No reason not to.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Funkster wrote:The offensive staff has been put together, any word about the defense besides Vic?
Vic said that he will be retaining the majority of his staff. No reason not to.

Funkster
MVP

Agreeed, no reason not to. However, with a new HC and everything being evaluated, new year, possible promotions, you never know what can happen. I haven't heard anything as being official yet, that was more so my question.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
UOK
Site Admin

Matt Nagy and Vic Fangio retained all of the Bears' defensive position coaches from last season.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Matt Nagy and Vic Fangio retained all of the Bears' defensive position coaches from last season.

makes sense to let Fangio keep his band together
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin