Bears Offensive Scheme

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

botfly10
Player of the Month

People acting like Jordan Howard is suddenly a liability to this team are off their goddamn rocker
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:People acting like Jordan Howard is suddenly a liability to this team are off their goddamn rocker
No shit. He is the first RB in Bears history to have back to back 1000 yard seasons in his first two years. I think the introduction of Nagy's play calling is going to turn him into a beast. Possibly one of the top three backs in the league.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:People acting like Jordan Howard is suddenly a liability to this team are off their goddamn rocker
I didn't say that. He does have a different skill set compared to Staley, Westbrook, Hunt, Mccoy, or Charles. I would think that would change his roll a bit. He has the ability to work with in the running scheme. I just don't think he is getting 250+ handoffs a season. He can still be productive just in a different roll.

Kind of like Ingram with the Saints a few years back.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
I didn't say that. He does have a different skill set compared to Staley, Westbrook, Hunt, Mccoy, or Charles. I would think that would change his roll a bit. He has the ability to work with in the running scheme. I just don't think he is getting 250+ handoffs a season. He can still be productive just in a different roll.

I always thought of Ingram as more of a between the tackles bruiser. Not sure if that is how Howard should be used. I think his best play is the off tackle stretch/zone hand-off. He seems to really do well on the near edge, and planting a foot and heading up field.
G08
Hall of Famer

Have we looked into potential offensive coordinators? Anyone have a list of names?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Have we looked into potential offensive coordinators? Anyone have a list of names?
I am still very big on Eugene Chung but Philadelphia has to lose first

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:Have we looked into potential offensive coordinators? Anyone have a list of names?
That’s what I’m curious about. I believe that pick will give us some insight into Nagys thinking.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

MoFugger wrote:

Samesies.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Samesies.
So Chung was in KC with Nagy from '13-'15? He also looks like the right kind of lieutenant, if Nagy is going to do all of the play calling.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Samesies.
So Chung was in KC with Nagy from '13-'15? He also looks like the right kind of lieutenant, if Nagy is going to do all of the play calling.
They were together his last year in Philly too.
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Samesies.
It is so very rare that you and I agree on something. I feel like we should hug.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Bill Callahan is a guy who worked with Childress, has been an OC, and is Washington Oline coach, and HC, might be a guy to look at.

Obviously Nagy respects Childress, looking through guys Childress knows, and his name stuck out. Not that he would be my guy, but having someone with OC experience for a guy who has never called plays is something important.
G08
Hall of Famer

Darrell Bevell... thoughts?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Darrell Bevell... thoughts?

Has had a few bad years in Seattle - but he comes from West Coast / GB and has experience running an unconventional offense and utilizing an athletic QB. Definitely someone to consider I'd think.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Has had a few bad years in Seattle - but he comes from West Coast / GB and has experience running an unconventional offense and utilizing an athletic QB. Definitely someone to consider I'd think.
That's what confuses me about his firing... look at the offenses he has coordinated during his time here (I am excluding his Vikings OC days because I think Childress was calling the plays there):

He has 5 years of working under Brad Childress, whom is very close with Matt Nagy during their time in KC, and he coordinated two offenses to the Super Bowl, winning once... and he did it with a QB that has a similar skill-set to Mitch Trubisky. I think it's a hell of a move, honestly.
ysleblanc
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:

I think if Nagy is a smart offensive mind like most seem to think, he will adapt the play calling and scheme to the personnel. Unlike Martz who could not operate with Greg Olsen and we ended up giving him away...
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Can we PLEASE just come to an agreement on this forum??

-No mention of Mike Martz
-No mention of Mark Trestman
-No mention of Mel Tucker
-No mention of the Greg Olsen trade

It helps keep my blood pressure down.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Hey guys, looks like the best O-LINE coach in the country is coming back to the Bears. Harry Hiestand!!!
-Shu
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Can we PLEASE just come to an agreement on this forum??

-No mention of Mike Martz
-No mention of Mark Trestman
-No mention of Mel Tucker
-No mention of the Greg Olsen trade

It helps keep my blood pressure down.
-No mention of Dave Wannstedt
-No mention of Kevin White
-No mention of Gaines Adams

Thank you.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... mpaign=nfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I kind of like what Tennessee has done with Mariota ... they don't specifically encourage him to run but they do make use of his mobility ... I think that is the kind of thing Trubisky can blossom in

it seemed the Bears were intent on trying to make Trubisky a stereotypical dropback QB, which was counter to what they allowed him to do in pre-season, which only confused me as to wtf they were actually trying to accomplish
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

This article gruntles me.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

This article gruntles me.
Is it bad that I was hoping for the Hiestand hire mostly so you'd start using that avatar again?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Jeez. Thinking... Cam Meredith could kill running those out and up concepts out of the slot... And Cohen could go nuts with some of those out of the backfield deep plays. Oi.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Jeez. Thinking... Cam Meredith could kill running those out and up concepts out of the slot... And Cohen could go nuts with some of those out of the backfield deep plays. Oi.
If his knee is okay, abso-fucking-lutely.
wab
Mod

Isn't he on schedule to participate in the spring?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Isn't he on schedule to participate in the spring?
He *should* be ready to go by training camp, IIRC.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

That's what confuses me about his firing... look at the offenses he has coordinated during his time here (I am excluding his Vikings OC days because I think Childress was calling the plays there):

He has 5 years of working under Brad Childress, whom is very close with Matt Nagy during their time in KC, and he coordinated two offenses to the Super Bowl, winning once... and he did it with a QB that has a similar skill-set to Mitch Trubisky. I think it's a hell of a move, honestly.
Are you trying to suggest that Seattle got to those Super Bowls because of their OFFENSE? I suppose the whole Legion Of Boom thing had nothing to do with it?

That's why I never wanted Shurmur. Nobody with inflated performances because the other side of the ball was elite.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

that is affirmative
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS