Bears Offensive Scheme

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So until we see Nagey without Reid we can only assume what the offense will look like.

Reid comes from a West coast background. However over the years we have seen concepts added dropped readded. McNabb and Smith ran some option pass option and read run. They ran counters and powers with Duece Staley. Screens and stretches with Westbrook. More of a downfield passing game with TO. Slants to gos with Jackson Hill and Maclin. TEs Clerek, and Kelce. Etc.

This year they used many more read pass options.

Here are a few articles.

2017 Chiefs V Pats

Eagles personnel and scheme

Generally looking for quick WR, athletic tackles, RB who catch, TE who can move.

RB

Howard didn't catch the ball well, and could be more of a 2 down guy. I still think he adds value as a one cut up field guy with that zone blocking. He also adds respect in the RPO side. Cohen will continue to be used in a lot of ways.

WR

Meridith fits fine. Landry and [s]Adams[/s] could be options.

TE

Shaheen isn't exactly what you would expect. He can stretch the seem. Sims too . I think a move TE would be a nice piece.

OT

I think both spots likely need upgrades. He had guys like Fisher, Swartz, Ruynan, Thomas, Peters. Big dudes who could move well enough. Leno and Massie are not those guys. Reid was an offensive line guy. He he prioritized tackles.
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

How is adams an option at WR when he just signed a 4 year extension with the packers? Or is it a different adams?

Landry, probably not, if people think crabtree is a problem child, landry would be required to wear a straight jacket 6 days a week.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I didn't know he signed. Strike that. Landry fits physically.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:I didn't know he signed. Strike that. Landry fits physically.
Agreed
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't want Landry here... Albert Wilson will be cheaper, younger, and he knows the offense.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears take an OL in the first round this year. They are really going to need an upgrade at LT.

I think it's unfair to label Howard as a RB that can't catch. Yes he has struggled. But only in the beginning this year. He's also only in his 2nd year in the league. Let him get some serious coaching, and put some hard work in regarding catching out of the backfield. The kid has worked hard all of his life, he's got great personal drive. He will find a way to get it done.

It's unfortunate that White is such a bust at this point, I think he would have been perfect for this offense (mix of size and speed).
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Leno is going to be our LT for a little while, but yeah if we don't move from #8 I can see OL/RT being the move.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think Shaheen could have a great year next season depending on the WR group we've got.

One of the most frustrating things for me last year was that there was no development of Biscuit to Shaheen. You've got to nurture that because a TE is a great security blanket for a QB. With the play-it-safe playcalling last year I was shocked that I didn't see Biscuit to Shaheen a bunch of times last year.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:I think Shaheen could have a great year next season depending on the WR group we've got.

One of the most frustrating things for me last year was that there was no development of Biscuit to Shaheen. You've got to nurture that because a TE is a great security blanket for a QB. With the play-it-safe playcalling last year I was shocked that I didn't see Biscuit to Shaheen a bunch of times last year.
Thank you John Fox
Middleguard
MVP

I had read, before Fox got here, that he hated TEs. Maybe that's it.
Middleguard
MVP

I posted this in an earlier thread and no one was interested. Still, I think that FB use is important in the definition of offensive style and I also think this illustrates Nagy's ability to adapt to his players:

I understand that Nagy took over playcalling for the last five games of the regular season.
In the first 11 games, the Chiefs used their FB on 15% of offensive downs. In the next 4 games they only used him 8%. As that is far less than any earlier 4-game stretch I think it is Nagy's style rather than their opponents' defenses or game situations. But in their last game, the only game Mahomes started, the FB was used 52%.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:I think Shaheen could have a great year next season depending on the WR group we've got.

100% on board with that idea. I am pretty sure, so is Pace. I believe that Shaheen can be Nagy's Kelce. From what we did see of him, he had great hands, and some good speed in the open field.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I think you are way off by saying there was no development. We are talking about two very raw rookies. Fox and Loggains may not have handled them exactly the way I would have, but no one's knocking down my door to be a head coach, and I don't think it was handled improperly. In fact, I think they're very well poised to take the next step in their NFL careers.

And f*** you for making me defend Fox and Loggains!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
MoFugger
Head Coach

Middleguard wrote:I posted this in an earlier thread and no one was interested. Still, I think that FB use is important in the definition of offensive style and I also think this illustrates Nagy's ability to adapt to his players:

I understand that Nagy took over playcalling for the last five games of the regular season.
In the first 11 games, the Chiefs used their FB on 15% of offensive downs. In the next 4 games they only used him 8%. As that is far less than any earlier 4-game stretch I think it is Nagy's style rather than their opponents' defenses or game situations. But in their last game, the only game Mahomes started, the FB was used 52%.
Nagy went with more of an h-back with Orson Charles when Alex Smith was playing because of Alex Smith's experience, but with Mahomes they wanted to protect him or so they went back to the fullback

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:

I think you are way off by saying there was no development. We are talking about two very raw rookies. Fox and Loggains may not have handled them exactly the way I would have, but no one's knocking down my door to be a head coach, and I don't think it was handled improperly. In fact, I think they're very well poised to take the next step in their NFL careers.

Lol @ the Fox and Loggains comment.

Shaheen had 12 receptions over 13 games.

12!

In a year where the receiving group was depleted and we traded for arguably our only active real WR halfway through the year!

It's not like this was a borderline playoff team and we needed to watch this in order to manage a playoff run. This was a sub-500 team no matter what through no fault of Biscuit or Shaheen. Let that develop.

http://www.nfl.com/player/adamshaheen/2558144/profile
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

12!

In a year where the receiving group was depleted and we traded for arguably our only active real WR halfway through the year!

It's not like this was a borderline playoff team and we needed to watch this in order to manage a playoff run. This was a sub-500 team no matter what through no fault of Biscuit or Shaheen. Let that develop.

Pretty hard to catch the ball when the coach doesn't put you in the game.

The one week he played a lot, week 10, 73% of the snaps he graded out as PFF's #1 TE for the week.
Last edited by southdakbearfan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoFugger
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

12!

They had to play biscuit. And Shaheen came in knowing about three maybe four blocking assignments. With the offense of line as influx as it was from week to week, it made more sense to play Sims and Brown. You will be seeing more of Shaheen in 2018. But his development was not hampered.

wab
Mod

I don’t know if Nagy will follow Andy Reid to the letter, but Reid definitely prefers bigger offensive linemen. I think they averaged like 6’5 320 in Kansas City. In Philly he had monsters like Todd Herremans, King Dunlap, Jason Peters, Evan Mathis, Mike McGlynn, and Max Jean-Giles.
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:I don’t know if Nagy will follow Andy Reid to the letter, but Reid definitely prefers bigger offensive linemen. I think they averaged like 6’5 320 in Kansas City. In Philly he had monsters like Todd Herremans, King Dunlap, Jason Peters, Evan Mathis, Mike McGlynn, and Max Jean-Giles.
Not exactly the worst time to revamp our online.
And another reason for me to blow my trumpet for Eugene Chung.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

RPO’s!

Inverted Veer!

Veer & Shoot!

All the offenses bitches!
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
botfly10
Player of the Month

People acting like Jordan Howard is suddenly a liability to this team are off their goddamn rocker
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:People acting like Jordan Howard is suddenly a liability to this team are off their goddamn rocker
No shit. He is the first RB in Bears history to have back to back 1000 yard seasons in his first two years. I think the introduction of Nagy's play calling is going to turn him into a beast. Possibly one of the top three backs in the league.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:People acting like Jordan Howard is suddenly a liability to this team are off their goddamn rocker
I didn't say that. He does have a different skill set compared to Staley, Westbrook, Hunt, Mccoy, or Charles. I would think that would change his roll a bit. He has the ability to work with in the running scheme. I just don't think he is getting 250+ handoffs a season. He can still be productive just in a different roll.

Kind of like Ingram with the Saints a few years back.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
I didn't say that. He does have a different skill set compared to Staley, Westbrook, Hunt, Mccoy, or Charles. I would think that would change his roll a bit. He has the ability to work with in the running scheme. I just don't think he is getting 250+ handoffs a season. He can still be productive just in a different roll.

Kind of like Ingram with the Saints a few years back.
I always thought of Ingram as more of a between the tackles bruiser. Not sure if that is how Howard should be used. I think his best play is the off tackle stretch/zone hand-off. He seems to really do well on the near edge, and planting a foot and heading up field.
G08
Hall of Famer

Have we looked into potential offensive coordinators? Anyone have a list of names?

MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Have we looked into potential offensive coordinators? Anyone have a list of names?
I am still very big on Eugene Chung but Philadelphia has to lose first

IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:Have we looked into potential offensive coordinators? Anyone have a list of names?
That’s what I’m curious about. I believe that pick will give us some insight into Nagys thinking.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

MoFugger wrote:

Samesies.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Samesies.
So Chung was in KC with Nagy from '13-'15? He also looks like the right kind of lieutenant, if Nagy is going to do all of the play calling.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

Samesies.
So Chung was in KC with Nagy from '13-'15? He also looks like the right kind of lieutenant, if Nagy is going to do all of the play calling.
They were together his last year in Philly too.